ATTN CO attendees: logistics herein

Old college threads.
grapesmoker
Sin

ATTN CO attendees: logistics herein

Post by grapesmoker »

I'm making a new thread because I'm convinced no one is reading the updated posts in the old CO announcement thread. This thread is now your go-to for any logistics concerns regarding Chicago Open.

First off, as I'm sure some of you have heard, there have been issues with rooms for CO. Through Seth's diligent efforts, we have managed to secure the minimum 7 rooms which we need to run CO. However, these rooms are distributed between two, possibly three buildings. We are also looking into the possibility of having UIC (that is, the University of Illinois, Chicago) be the host. We won't know whether this can happen until at best tomorrow and possibly a day or two after that, but Ike Jose is on the case.

For the moment, assume that CO will be hosted at the University of Chicago, in Harper Hall. If there is any change to this plan, we will post about it here. Please, please, please do not ignore this thread and show up at the wrong location. Follow this thread for any information about whether the tournament has moved or not. We apologize for this inconvenience but there's not much we can do given that Chicago has apparently decided to screw us this year.

So again, assume UChicago unless we say otherwise. Please arrive at the tournament no later than 8:30 so we can get started by 9. And be sure to come with money to pay me, because I know how much quizbowl doesn't like paying for things and some of you owe us a shitton of cash. The format of the tournament will be a full 15-round round-robin with a single bye. Finals will be the usual ACF format: a team clearing the field by two games will be crowned the victor outright, a team leading by one game over the next closest opponent will enter into an advantaged final, and two teams tied for the best record will play a one-game final.

Second, a word on tiebreakers: in the event of a 3-way tie for first, the tie between the teams with the two worst PPGs will be broken on the first finals packet and the winner of that match will play the team with the best PPG (out of the three) for the title. In the event of a tie for second place we may have to use a statistical tiebreaker. That is, if one team is a single game clear of two other teams (who are tied for second on record), the question of who goes into the final against the best team may be settled by a statistical tiebreaker (overall PPG, since everyone plays the same opponents). I'm warning everyone of this so there's no confusion later. We would love to have an 18th packet so that we could break such a tie with a game, but there's a strong possibility that it won't be available, so I'm announcing it ahead of time.

Finally, with regards to the side tournaments: if you are one of the organizers of the side tournaments, please post in this thread with any logistical details regarding your event.

The next post will contain information about how much money you owe us. Read it, because it's important.
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
grapesmoker
Sin

Re: ATTN CO attendees: logistics herein

Post by grapesmoker »

This post contains the final field for the tournament with the date of when the packet was submitted and the consequent money owed to the editors. PAY UP! I don't want anyone coming to the tournament not knowing how much they owe or complaining that they weren't given enough advance notice or whatever. I also don't care if Asshole McDickbag caused your packet to be three eons late and as a consequence your team owes me 5 billion dollars. That is not my problem, that is a problem you need to settle with Mr. or Mrs. McDickbag, so don't try to weasel out of paying me by fobbing it off onto someone else on the team who will then feign incredulity at the astronomical entry fee you have incurred. I am more than familiar with these shenanigans. I should also emphasize that I literally need this money to pay my rent for the next month, so if you stiff me, you are literally compromising my living situation.

The Inexorable Sadness of Pencils (Evan Adams, Matt Bollinger, Auroni Gupta, Will Butler) - April 27, $20
The First Citizens of Contingency (Ahmad Ragab, Gautam Kandlikar, Aaron Rosenberg, Mike Bentley) - May 2, $30
The Great Slime Kings (Michael Hausinger, Andy Kravis, Scot Putzig, Surya Sabhapathy) - May 1, $70
Speculative Hipsters (Libo Zeng, Phil Guan, Kurtis Droge, Mike Cheyne) - May $2, $70
The Solid Scholars (Jonathan Magin, Seth Teitler, Selene Koo, Bruce Arthur) - May 11, $70
The Way a Ghost Dissolves (Henry Gorman, Thomas Littrell, Benji Nguyen, Chris Romero) - June 27, $145
The Gorilla Wrestles with the Superman (Matt Weiner, Dallas Simons, Richard Mason, Kevin Koai) - July 8, $200
An Orderly Universe of Discoverable Laws (Matt Lafer, Ryan Westbrook, Ike Jose, Andrew Hart) - June 25, $120
A Blue Sky Out of the Oresteia (Chris Ray, Chris White, Michael Arnold, Andrew Ullsperger) - July 5, $170
This Octopus Exploits Women (Trevor Davis, Rob Carson, Eric Mukherjee, John Lawrence) - July 6, $180
Great Unaffected Vampires (Eric Kwartler, Evan Nagler, Ian Eppler, Trygve Meade) - July 8, $200
This Civilising Love of Death (Brendan Byrne, Charles Meigs, Mike Sorice, Ray Luo) - July 17, $290
Academicus Anaemicus (Charles Hang, Mark Schneider, Gabrielle Lachtrup) - July 9, $210
A Tall Man Executes a Jig (Carsten Gehring, Stephen Liu, David Seal, Charlie Rosenthal) - June 12, $120
Autobiography of a Lungworm (Dan Passner, Joe Hansen, Jacob Durst, Kirun) - no packet, $120

I am fairly sure these numbers are right to within $10 each. If you notice some discrepancies between the fees assessed to some of the early submissions, that has to do with the fact that packets that made the earliest deadline but required a lot of work didn't get the maximum -$100 discount but only -$50. These fees also account for the fact that the +$50 deadline was extended to July 5. If you have any questions or concerns about the fees, please feel free to contact me.

edit: the last team received special dispensation from me to pay the no-penalty fee since it formed at the last minute by my request, allowing us to avoid double-byes.
Last edited by grapesmoker on Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jerry Vinokurov
Rothlover
Yuna

Post by Rothlover »

I'm guessing we are still in to fill out the field? I want to contribute to your rent fund.
Dan Passner Brandeis '06 JTS/Columbia '11-'12 Ben Gurion University of the Negev/Columbia '12?
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Rothlover wrote:I'm guessing we are still in to fill out the field? I want to contribute to your rent fund.
Oops. Added you. You have assumed the role of the Rutgers team.
Jerry Vinokurov
Ike
Auron

Post by Ike »

I am trying my hardest to secure rooms at UIC that are all within one building because of the issue at U Chicago. Right now, the secretaries I spoke to said "I don't think its unlikely" , but the secretaries I spoke to said not to quote them, and just to ask their boss on Monday.

Right now, assuming that I get 12 rooms or so to use, I will be running brackets of 8, with a re-bracket for the playoffs: but the top two teams from each bracket will go on to the playoffs, for another four games against teams they haven't played. ACF Finals, rules apply, etc. The lower brackets I am assuming will dissipate amorphously because of the late hour, so I'll freely allow those games to be "impromptu scrimages." The only other noteworthy thing I can think of is that powers will be worth 20 points, and everything else will be worth 15, and negging tossups will be worth -5 points: this is an attempt to reduce the effect of negs in formats with no bonuses. The powers not being worth as much marginally allows me also to not agonize over some clue markings.

In the worst case scenario, one in which we have a limited amount of rooms, I will be doing one of two options: merging teams together to form 12 teams, and going from there, or having each team function as a single unit in a shootout style type of competition. More details on that later, especially if the UIC rooms don't come through.

Also - I have sooo many rounds, that even if the worst comes to worst, and we need to play a two game ACF final, there will be 2 packets leftover. Any leftover packets will be played during CO Trash lunch as a shootout style shindig.
Ike
UIUC 13
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

Ike wrote:brackets of 8
Wouldn't it make more sense to run this as a round robin, seeing as there are 15 teams and all?

EDIT: Oh, I am stupid, you're talking about the lit tournament. HURR
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

What's going on with food on Saturday and Sunday? In the past we've ordered stuff, but I haven't seen anything about this for this year.

What's the buzzer situation? I have one I can bring but I'd prefer not to have to lug it around with me all day on Friday.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Thanks Mike for reminding me about buzzers. The buzzer situation at this moment seems a little unclear. I count two buzzers coming from UChicago and I am assuming at least one more will come with someone from UIUC. Since there are never enough buzzers, I would appreciate it if everyone who could bring a buzzer would do so. If it's a lot of trouble to transport it on a plane I'm guessing we could do without it, but if it's not too much trouble, then it would be great if you could bring it. Again, everyone who can reasonably bring a buzzer, please do so.
Jerry Vinokurov
sds
Wakka

Post by sds »

So you know, we'll bring 3 sets of buzzers from Michigan.
Surya
Michigan '10 & '14
Susan
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Susan »

It's my understanding that no one is ordering food for anyone (except for staffers), but I'm not the authority on that. Here are some food options in Hyde Park that should be useful if everything is, in fact, hosted at the University of Chicago. I've listed only places you might want to go to for lunch; if you want restaurant recommendations outside of Hyde Park for dinner or whatever, let me know. All links go to menus.

If you want breakfast and you're coming in from Lake Shore, Istria Cafe is probably your best choice--it opens at 7 on Saturday and 8 on Sunday. It's also open for lunch, but it's a bit of a long walk from the tournament.

Chicago people--is Hutch Commons still entirely closed on the weekends? If there are other places that are open on campus over the weekend that I haven't thought of, please feel free to add them (except for stuff in the hospital since I think that might be more trouble than it's worth.)

Walkable:
-Barnes and Noble Cafe--at the corner of 58th and Ellis, open 9-4 on Saturday only. This is fine if you want to get a coffee, soda, or snack, but it doesn't reliably have tons of lunches.

-Sammy's Touch (open 10-5 on Saturday only). Almost certainly your fastest option, possibly your most artery-clogging option. Hot dogs and burgers and fried things. This is probably one of the cheaper places to eat in Hyde Park.

-Noodles Etc.--generally competent pan-Asian place; pretty fast service. Offers online ordering, which might be useful.

-Medici--Pizza, sandwiches, and burgers, kind of bills itself as a college hangout. The service here can be pretty slow, so this is a bad place to go if the lunch break is short. The Florian has better deep dish but is even further away.

-Medici Bakery (menu is PDF, bakery is located right next to the Medici)--this place has a deli area that does sandwiches and wraps; they've also got chips, sides, and drinks (including an espresso bar). There's also bread and pastries, but this place is not going to be a good breakfast option because it doesn't open until 9-10. If you want to order a sandwich from here, I recommend that you call your order in before walking over. Note: if people remember ordering sandwiches from a deli at the back of a convenience store, this is (more or less) the same thing--the University Market closed and moved its deli to the Med Bakery.

Not recommended: Edwardo's (pizza chain)--this place is usually even slower than the Medici. Also, it's gross.

If you're able to make a quick drive to pick up some food, you'll have a few more options. For all of these, I'd recommend calling your order in before you leave to pick it up. There's a Jimmy Johns near, and a Potbelly in the plaza at 55th and Lake Park. Rajun Cajun, a combination soul food/Indian place (steam tray tables, pretty cheap) is also a possibility for takeout, but unlike the aforementioned sandwich shops, it doesn't have a big parking lot nearby, so you'll have to take your chances on street parking or have your driver cruise round the block or something. Same deal with Ribs and Bibs.

I would be wary of trying to get Harold's for lunch since you'll have to drive and it seems like there's usually a considerable wait, but I may be overestimating the wait times. My sense is that a lot of the non-Noodles Thai places are too slow for a lunch break. I'm not sure if this is true of the sushi places as well, but I'd guess it is.

Avoid: Bonjour Bakery (I like it, but it's VERY slow for takeaway), Nicky's Chinese (toe-curlingly disgusting).
Susan
UChicago alum (AB 2003, PhD 2009)
Member emerita, ACF
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Ok, right now, I have listed 1 buzzer each from Greg Peterson, Matt Laird, Mike Laudermith, and Bryce Durgin. Assuming all of those are right, with 3 buzzers from Michigan, 2 from Chicago, and at least one more from UIUC it looks like we're in good shape so far as buzzers go. Again, I would still request that anyone who can comfortably bring a buzzer do so just for the purposes of contingency.
Jerry Vinokurov
abnormal abdomen
Rikku

Post by abnormal abdomen »

Ike wrote:I am trying my hardest to secure rooms at UIC that are all within one building because of the issue at U Chicago. Right now, the secretaries I spoke to said "I don't think its unlikely" , but the secretaries I spoke to said not to quote them, and just to ask their boss on Monday.

Right now, assuming that I get 12 rooms or so to use, I will be running brackets of 8, with a re-bracket for the playoffs: but the top two teams from each bracket will go on to the playoffs, for another four games against teams they haven't played. ACF Finals, rules apply, etc. The lower brackets I am assuming will dissipate amorphously because of the late hour, so I'll freely allow those games to be "impromptu scrimages." The only other noteworthy thing I can think of is that powers will be worth 20 points, and everything else will be worth 15, and negging tossups will be worth -5 points: this is an attempt to reduce the effect of negs in formats with no bonuses. The powers not being worth as much marginally allows me also to not agonize over some clue markings.

In the worst case scenario, one in which we have a limited amount of rooms, I will be doing one of two options: merging teams together to form 12 teams, and going from there, or having each team function as a single unit in a shootout style type of competition. More details on that later, especially if the UIC rooms don't come through.

Also - I have sooo many rounds, that even if the worst comes to worst, and we need to play a two game ACF final, there will be 2 packets leftover. Any leftover packets will be played during CO Trash lunch as a shootout style shindig.
Given that UIC seems to be a no-go now, I'll go ahead and state the obvious in that how we run Lully on Sunday evening will largely be dependent on how many rooms we end up with. If we end up with anything less than 9 rooms (we will probably have something like 18 teams, and Jordan Hoffmann doesn't mind doing stats in like a hallway at a desk or something), we will likely employ the shootout fashion that Ike has mentioned. Ike has more knowledge of that stuff, and even though he's described it to me, I'll just wait for him to post on that. The alternative to that is to just let us arbitrarily combine teams by taking our perceived #1 and joining it with our perceived #18, and do a RR (that would only require 4 rooms) but I don't imagine people like the whole arbitrary combination stuff a lot.

If we end up with 9+, then we'll do a regular schedule. 3 pools of 6, RR those, take top 2 from each pool to form playoff pool, while middle and bottom 2 form middle and bottom pools. Given the not-too-large size of the field, we can break ties using half-packets as long as we're not running too late. From there, we'll have another RR (with the 1 prelim match with the other team in your 2nd pool that you've already played carrying over, unless you guys think we should do otherwise; it's just a matter of you guys playing as many packets as possible), break a possible 2nd-place tie with a half packet, and play an advantaged final if needed/we're not running too late. So, that scenario uses 12 packets and we'd be fine. If you guys think that the prelim match with the other team that makes it into the second pool along with you shouldn't carry over, we'd use 13. And if people want/we're good on time, we can read the Packet of Death to the small amount of people who want to stay for that.

EDIT: Also, two things.

1) Will we still have buzzers available on Sunday night?
2) People in the Free Agents pool should sign up so I can stop worrying about whether or not I'll have 18 teams and thus an easy-to-work-with format.
Abid Haseeb
Auburn High School '12
Brown University '16
Writer, HSAPQ
Writer, NAQT
Charbroil
Auron

Post by Charbroil »

grapesmoker wrote: Academicus Anaemicus (Charles Hang, Mark Schneider, Gabrielle Lachtrup) - July 9, $210
This is actually me and Charles Martin, and we're in need of free agents, so anyone who's interested, please let me know via email at [email protected].
Charles Hang
Francis Howell Central '09
St. Charles Community College '14
Washington University in St. Louis '19, 2x (President, 2017-19)

Owner, Olympia Academic Competition Questions, LLC
Question Writer, National Academic Quiz Tournaments, LLC and National History Bee and Bowl
jready
Lulu

Post by jready »

myamphigory wrote: Chicago people--is Hutch Commons still entirely closed on the weekends? If there are other places that are open on campus over the weekend that I haven't thought of, please feel free to add them (except for stuff in the hospital since I think that might be more trouble than it's worth.)
I can confirm that Hutch Commons, as well as all other campus dining options I can think of, are closed on the weekends over the summer.
Jimmy Ready
La Jolla High '08, Chicago '12
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Update: we are confirmed for the tournament to take place at the University of Chicago. We will be employing 3 buildings: Harper (5 rooms), Ida Noyes (1 room), and the Oriental Institute (1 room). This sucks and I'm sorry, but we explored every other conceivable option and this was the best thing available to us. What we will try to do is to consolidate into Harper during lunch; hopefully whoever is using the other rooms won't need them all day and we won't have to run more than half the tournament in this fashion. I can't promise anything to anyone, but we'll do our best to get the whole thing into a single building as soon as that option becomes available. The meeting location for CO will still be at Harper.
Jerry Vinokurov
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Good news, everyone! Through Marshall Steinbaum's heroic efforts (for which he was consequently promoted to Grand Marshall Steinbaum), we have secured two rooms in some place called Rosenwald Hall, which I am told is much closer to Harper than either OI or Noyes. This should make life at least a little bit easier for teams that have to run between buildings.
Jerry Vinokurov
abnormal abdomen
Rikku

Post by abnormal abdomen »

grapesmoker wrote:Good news, everyone! Through Marshall Steinbaum's heroic efforts (for which he was consequently promoted to Grand Marshall Steinbaum), we have secured two rooms in some place called Rosenwald Hall, which I am told is much closer to Harper than either OI or Noyes. This should make life at least a little bit easier for teams that have to run between buildings.
This is for the entire weekend, or just CO proper? Also, how late can we stay in that facility (on Sunday night)?
Abid Haseeb
Auburn High School '12
Brown University '16
Writer, HSAPQ
Writer, NAQT
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Your Cup of Robust Tea wrote:
grapesmoker wrote:Good news, everyone! Through Marshall Steinbaum's heroic efforts (for which he was consequently promoted to Grand Marshall Steinbaum), we have secured two rooms in some place called Rosenwald Hall, which I am told is much closer to Harper than either OI or Noyes. This should make life at least a little bit easier for teams that have to run between buildings.
This is for the entire weekend, or just CO proper? Also, how late can we stay in that facility (on Sunday night)?
Just CO, as far as I know, but Marshall, if I've got this wrong, please correct me.
Jerry Vinokurov
Rothlover
Yuna

Post by Rothlover »

Hey, if people might need room or some crash space, let me know. I won a room at the regency o'hare from Thurs-Mon. Some of the nights might be spoken for, but hit me up.
Dan Passner Brandeis '06 JTS/Columbia '11-'12 Ben Gurion University of the Negev/Columbia '12?
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Rothlover wrote:Hey, if people might need room or some crash space, let me know. I won a room at the regency o'hare from Thurs-Mon. Some of the nights might be spoken for, but hit me up.
I hope you won that room in a combined singing/knife-fighting contest.
Jerry Vinokurov
setht
Auron

Post by setht »

grapesmoker wrote:
Your Cup of Robust Tea wrote:
Just CO, as far as I know, but Marshall, if I've got this wrong, please correct me.
I'm not sure Marshall ever looks at this board. What he said in his email is that it looks like we'll have two classrooms in Rosenwald Hall on Saturday only. I don't know how late that will go, but it seems clear that Rosenwald will not be an option for Sunday.

Here are some links to maps showing Harper, Rosenwald, the Oriental Institute, and Ida Noyes Hall. Harper is on E. 59th St. halfway between University Ave. and Ellis Ave. Rosenwald is two buildings north of Harper, on the east side. The Oriental Institute is at the corner of E. 58th St. and University Ave. (1 block east and 1 block north of Harper). Ida Noyes is at the corner of E. 59th St. and Woodlawn Ave. (2 blocks east of Harper).

-Seth
Seth Teitler
Formerly UC Berkeley and U. Chicago
President of NAQT
Emeritus member of ACF
Tees-Exe Line
Tidus

Post by Tees-Exe Line »

Just to confirm what Seth said... this is for CO only
Marshall I. Steinbaum

Oxford University (2002-2005)
University of Chicago (2008-2014)
University of Utah (2019- )

Get in the elevator.
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Oh, and there will be a $10 discount for every buzzer system brought, whether we use it or not.
Jerry Vinokurov
EncyclopediaCDRom
Wakka

Post by EncyclopediaCDRom »

I took team trophy acceptance photos form NAQT ICT @ ORD, and I could give complimentary 8" X 10"s to anyone this weekend. I already have made them for Minnesota, and I should make some more for Harvard. I also took team photos of Chicago, Penn, Michigan, Carleton, Brown, Clemson, Rice, and 1 other school whose name I did not catch. You may e-mail me at indycarsatuicdotedu with your requests. I really need to give away my clear IEP sleeves before my 4 young girl cats tear/chew them up.

In case vending machines are scarce in Harper and the other 3 buildings, I plan to bring 4+ cold cases of beverages each weekend day. This a way to repay all the NASCAR drivers and owners who kept me hydrated during 450 miles of racing last Saturday near St. Louis during 98+ conditions when they also had to take care of their crews. I have been declining requests to attend the Brickyard 400 @ IMS as well as the NASCAR double-header @ IRP/ORP this weekend.

Enjoying my paid "sabbatical",
Rom
Rom Masrour
president of RomNation at the races
2011 INDYCAR, 2012 NASCAR, 2012 GRAND-AM, & 2012 American Le Mans Series hard card holder
licensed crew member for car #51 in the 2011-2012 NASCAR Nationwide Series & car #15 in the 2012 GRAND-AM Rolex Sports Car Series
"I'm glad you were at Kentucky for Ed's win instead of me."
"Rommy is better known in the paddock than half the drivers are."
"Drivers love Rommy even more than Rommy loves them."
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

EncyclopediaCDRom wrote:I took team trophy acceptance photos form NAQT ICT @ ORD, and I could give complimentary 8" X 10"s to anyone this weekend. I already have made them for Minnesota, and I should make some more for Harvard. I also took team photos of Chicago, Penn, Michigan, Carleton, Brown, Clemson, Rice, and 1 other school whose name I did not catch. You may e-mail me at indycarsatuicdotedu with your requests. I really need to give away my clear IEP sleeves before my 4 young girl cats tear/chew them up.

In case vending machines are scarce in Harper and the other 3 buildings, I plan to bring 4+ cold cases of beverages each weekend day. This a way to repay all the NASCAR drivers and owners who kept me hydrated during 450 miles of racing last Saturday near St. Louis during 98+ conditions when they also had to take care of their crews. I have been declining requests to attend the Brickyard 400 @ IMS as well as the NASCAR double-header @ IRP/ORP this weekend.

Rom
Hey Rom, I don't have you listed as being on a team. Did you join a team that had an open spot or something?
Jerry Vinokurov
Ike
Auron

Post by Ike »

Hey guys, the more buzzers I get the more likely we'll be doing the round robin format instead of the shootout. So if you can bring more buzzers that would be great. Also I've had an intermittent response involving readers, the more readers I get too, the more likely we'll be doing the round robin format, otherwise, given the room scenario and ceteris parabus, we'll be doing shootout style thing akin to individual players, but each team functions as a unit for our purposes.
Ike
UIUC 13
Papa's in the House
Tidus

Post by Papa's in the House »

grapesmoker wrote:
EncyclopediaCDRom wrote:I took team trophy acceptance photos form NAQT ICT @ ORD, and I could give complimentary 8" X 10"s to anyone this weekend. I already have made them for Minnesota, and I should make some more for Harvard. I also took team photos of Chicago, Penn, Michigan, Carleton, Brown, Clemson, Rice, and 1 other school whose name I did not catch. You may e-mail me at indycarsatuicdotedu with your requests. I really need to give away my clear IEP sleeves before my 4 young girl cats tear/chew them up.

Rom
Hey Rom, I don't have you listed as being on a team. Did you join a team that had an open spot or something?
He'll be playing with C. Hang and me.
Charles Martin Jr.
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
Academic Buzzer Team | President
B.S. in Accountancy, August 2011
B.S. in Finance, August 2011
MAS Program, Class of 2012
Pilgrim
Tidus

Post by Pilgrim »

I'm bringing a buzzer that will be available for all of the CO events.
Trevor Davis
University of Alberta
CMU '11
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

Hey, our team is still without a fourth person - if you or anyone you know will be somewhat local to CO (or up for making a last minute trip) and might be interested in playing, please let me know. You'll get to play 15 rounds with Michael Arnold as your teammate, which is about as much as you can really ask for at a quizbowl tournament.
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
Skepticism and Animal Feed
Auron

Post by Skepticism and Animal Feed »

Jerry, I let you play Spring Offensive for free. In return can you reduce my team's entry fee by $10?

Also, ICT/HSNCT wiffle ball never happened. If people want me to bring a wiffle ball and wiffle bat to CO, with the possibility (but not the promise) that we might play wiffle ball outside during some inevitable delay during CO weekend, let me know
Bruce
Harvard '10 / UChicago '07 / Roycemore School '04
ACF Member emeritus
My guide to using Wikipedia as a question source
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Morraine Man wrote:Jerry, I let you play Spring Offensive for free. In return can you reduce my team's entry fee by $10?
If the money were just going to me I wouldn't care, but since this is getting split three ways, I would prefer that everyone actually pay what they owe and then if I need to settle some outstanding debts like this one, I'll do that out of my share of the net.
Jerry Vinokurov
Lagotto Romagnolo
Tidus

Post by Lagotto Romagnolo »

I will bring Brown's buzzer system.

P.S. Jerry - I checked the engineering graveyard in Prince Lab and couldn't find the old buzzer. Looks like someone else commandeered it. For all intents and purposes, it has disappeared from the face of the earth.
Aaron Rosenberg
Langley HS '07 / Brown '11 / Illinois '14
The Atom Strikes!
Tidus

Post by The Atom Strikes! »

We have an extra room at a Holliday Inn at O'Hare-- we'll give the room to anyone who can pay $50. If you're interested, call me at (302)-507-4075.

Edit: Room taken.
Last edited by The Atom Strikes! on Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Henry Gorman, Wilmington Charter '09, Rice '13, PhD History Vanderbilt '1X
Charbroil
Auron

Post by Charbroil »

The Atom Strikes! wrote:We have an extra room at a Holliday Inn at O'Hare-- we'll give the room to anyone who can pay $50. If you're interested, call me at (302)-479-7146.
I've taken this offer and will be at the hotel around 8 PM tomorrow to take possession of the room.
Charles Hang
Francis Howell Central '09
St. Charles Community College '14
Washington University in St. Louis '19, 2x (President, 2017-19)

Owner, Olympia Academic Competition Questions, LLC
Question Writer, National Academic Quiz Tournaments, LLC and National History Bee and Bowl
OctagonJoe
Tidus

Post by OctagonJoe »

Assuming I don't forget in the next 5 hours, I will bring a buzzer.
Carsten Gehring
Wayzata HS '08 | Carleton College '12 | Denver Publishing Institute '12
Auron

I am really sick and doubt I can make it to this tournament. :(
Bruce
ACF Member emeritus
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Morraine Man wrote:I am really sick and doubt I can make it to this tournament. :(
Hey Bruce, if this is true shoot me an email ASAP. I have an important question for you.
Jerry Vinokurov
gyre and gimble
Yuna

Post by gyre and gimble »

What are the closest bus stop and closest subway station to UChicago, and about how far away are they?

Edit: I need to come in from Union Station, and my train in from Naperville gets to Union at 7:40.
Stephen Liu
Torrey Pines '10
Harvard '14
Stanford '17
Habitat_Against_Humanity
Rikku

Post by Habitat_Against_Humanity »

gyre and gimble wrote:What are the closest bus stop and closest subway station to UChicago, and about how far away are they?

Edit: I need to come in from Union Station, and my train in from Naperville gets to Union at 7:40.
I'd recommend taking the 6 bus to 59th and Stony Island. That would probably be the quickest and possibly the cheapest. If you walk about 10 minutes from Union Station to Jackson and State and take the 6 headed South and get off and 59th and Stony Island, that will leave you about a 5-10 minute walk from Harper Library. You can go to the CTA trip planner website to get a better idea of when buses leave and arrive and whatnot.
Rachel
UChicago 09
Susan

Post by Susan »

gyre and gimble wrote:What are the closest bus stop and closest subway station to UChicago, and about how far away are they?

You cannot get to the tournament on public transportation by 8:30 if your train gets in at 7:40, and you're going to have to have everything go just right to make it by 9. If you're really concerned about making it on time, I would see if anyone can pick you up or if you can take a cab (I think it's something like a $30 cab unless rates have risen dramatically over the past couple of months). The fastest public transit options you have are:
-take the 126 Jackson bus (you can pick it up where Jackson meets the Chicago River) towards Congress Plaza to MIchigan and Van Buren. Take the 4 Cottage Grove bus towards 94th to 57th and Cottage Grove. Walk east to Ellis, turn right and walk to 59th, turn left and walk until you see the entrance to Harper (it's on that block).

-or go to the Quincy/Wells station, take the Brown Line towards Kimball to Adams/Wabash, switch to the Green Line towards Cottage Grove, and take it to the end of the line (63rd/Cottage Grove). This is the closest el stop to Chicago, but it's not all that close. If you can get someone to pick you up from the train station, that would probably be best; otherwise, you know, look like an alert not-to-be-mugged pedestrian and take the 17-minute (per Google Maps) walk to campus.

The CTA's trip planner doesn't bear Nolan out on the idea of the 6 being fastest (even if I set it to allow for the pretty lengthy walks that itinerary involves); I suspect this may have to do with the timing of 6 departures on Saturday morning or something. I strongly advise you to a) have someone pick you up, or b) take a cab, or c) take the Brown Line to Green Line route and have someone pick you up from the Green Line station.

Ninja edit: the 55 bus is notoriously slow and unpredictable. Don't take it if you're pressed for time.
Susan
UChicago alum (AB 2003, PhD 2009)
Member emerita, ACF
EncyclopediaCDRom
Wakka

The CO team consisting of Charles Martin, Charles Hang, & I is still looking for a fourth player.

Is parking still free on 59th Street? Or have Richard M.'s outsourced meters spread there?

I used to take the Red Line to 55th Streeet; then, I would take a #55 bus east to Ellis Avenue, debark, and walk south 4 blocks to 59th Street. That might be feasible for someone coming from O'Hare (Blue Line, Red Line, & #55 bus). For someone coming from Midway, that #55 originates at Midway.

Saturday's evenings lit will involve superteams. What exactly are superteams? How big could they be?

Still savoring David Reutimann's 15 days as the most recent NASCAR Sprint Cup Series winner (at Chicagoland Speedway),
Rom
Rom Masrour
2011 INDYCAR, 2012 NASCAR, 2012 GRAND-AM, & 2012 American Le Mans Series hard card holder
licensed crew member for car #51 in the 2011-2012 NASCAR Nationwide Series & car #15 in the 2012 GRAND-AM Rolex Sports Car Series
ieppler
Rikku

Post by ieppler »

If you're willing to accept a late arrival, my train from DC arrives at Union Station at 8:45, and I'd like to split a cab.
Ian Eppler from Brown University
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

By the way, if anyone needs my contact information, my phone number is (858) 882-7899. If you're going to be late, please call or text me.
Jerry Vinokurov
Auron

I haven't thrown up in 25 hours, so I'll probably man up and attend this.
Bruce
ACF Member emeritus
EncyclopediaCDRom
Wakka

According to IDOT on ABC-7, parts of the Eisenhower (I-290), Kennedy (I-90), & Dan Ryan (I-90/I-94) are closed due to flooding from 4-6" of rain overnight with 1-2" hourly at times. Flash flood warnings are everywhere. I cannot imagine that everybody will arrive by 9 AM. Should anybody suddenly need a ride, my number is (773) 858 - 1562.

Proceed with care,
Rom
Rom Masrour