2011 NAQT HSNCT: May 27-29: Congratulations State College!

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

2011 NAQT HSNCT: May 27-29: Congratulations State College!

Post by Important Bird Area »

naqt.com wrote:NAQT is pleased to announce that its 2011 High School National Championship Tournament will be held at the Hyatt Regency Atlanta hotel on Memorial Day weekend, May 27-29, 2011.
Details

Field update

Current waitlist (updated April 29th):

(empty)

Registration is now open and there is one spot available.
Last edited by Important Bird Area on Sun May 29, 2011 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: results
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
wd4gdz
Tidus

Re: 2011 NAQT HSNCT: May 27-29, Atlanta

Post by wd4gdz »

Awesome
Billy Beyer, formerly of FSU
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Are you allowed to publicly say at least the ranking of preference in a site from HSNCT attendees based on the feedback sheet?
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Important Bird Area

I'm not sure I understood that question, but the full results of the 2010 HSNCT survey are now also available on our website.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

26% of respondents (more than a quarter) said they probably would not attend a tournament held in Atlanta. Half or almost half of respondents said they would be "highly" interested in attending a tournament held in Chicago/D.C. I find this decision a touch questionable.

EDIT: Also, for staffing purposes. It seems like more staffers will have to be flown in this year.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo »

Cheynem wrote:26% of respondents (more than a quarter) said they probably would not attend a tournament held in Atlanta.
And another 24% said there is a "low" percentage of attending, making exactly 50% that will either not come or basically don't want to come to Atlanta. Yet it was chosen.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org
Important Bird Area

We know we are going to lose some of the local teams that drive to Chicago, and expect to make that up with more Alabama/Georgia/South Carolina teams.

Yes, we know that we will have to fly in more staff.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

pblessman
Rikku

Post by pblessman »

Wow... this is a pretty big surprise... the negatives for Atlanta are indeed very high on the survey... Of course the sample is biased by participants in the Chicago tournament filling this out, but 50% "Low" and "None"...
Phil Blessman- Culver Academies Head Quizbowl Coach
DrCongo
Wakka

Post by DrCongo »

Was the prospect of gaining more Southern teams the biggest factor in choosing Atlanta over say Cincinnati or Indianapolis?
Bobby Dorigo Jones
Detroit Catholic Central '12
Michigan State University '16
Harvard '17
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

I think Jeff's reasoning is perfect. You have to take into account selection bias - in this case, there are a lot of Southern teams that either do not want to travel to Chicago or can't raise the funds to get there and their votes obviously don't count.

A lot of teams are also going to attend HSNCT regardless of where it is, even if they have "low" or "no" interest in a particular city.
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org
UC Irvine 2008-2013; UCLA 2004-2007; Capistrano Valley High School 2000-2003

"It's a competition, but it's not a sport. On a scale, if football is a 10, then rowing would be a two. One would be Quiz Bowl." --Matt Birk on rowing, SI On Campus, 10/21/03

"If you were my teammate, I would have tossed your ass out the door so fast you'd be emitting Cerenkov radiation, but I'm not classy like Dwight." --Jerry
Important Bird Area

DrCongo wrote:Was the prospect of gaining more Southern teams the biggest factor in choosing Atlanta over say Cincinnati or Indianapolis?
For those two particular cases, the choice is less about distribution of teams and more about Atlanta's status as a major airline hub.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo »

cvdwightw wrote:I think Jeff's reasoning is perfect. You have to take into account selection bias - in this case, there are a lot of Southern teams that either do not want to travel to Chicago or can't raise the funds to get there and their votes obviously don't count.

A lot of teams are also going to attend HSNCT regardless of where it is, even if they have "low" or "no" interest in a particular city.
But there were two other cities (excluding Chicago) with far less than 50% of respondents indicating a low or extremely low preference in attending Nationals there.

I will say that i like, so far, that apparently the rooms are about $30 cheaper per night in Atlanta than Chicago, which is a nice bonus. I can only pray that 5 plane tickets are not going to cost me $2000 like last time... if we actually are good enough to go this year.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org
centralhs
Wakka

Post by centralhs »

There probably will be less midwestern teams in Atlanta since many of them probably have competed in Chicago every year largely because it is an easy travel distance from where they live. However, I believe that the difference will be made up by the large number of Southeastern teams who will compete in the Atlanta tournament next year because of the close proximity to their homes. There are many teams from Southeastern states (like mine) that have wanted to compete in the HSNCT over the last few years but have lacked the funds to make the trip.

I don't see why teams from other parts of the country outside of the Southeast or Midwest would really be affected that much by the change of location from Chicago to Atlanta. Surely they are choosing to come to Nationals based on a desire to compete in a National tournament, not by a trip to a particular city. If they're already going to make a plane trip or long car ride, why does it really matter whether it is to Chicago or to Atlanta?
Last edited by Mechanical Beasts on Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: quote tags!
Cathy Hirsch
Chamblee Middle School (2013-present)
Central Gwinnett High School (1997-2012)
Kanga-Rat Murder Society
Wakka

Post by Kanga-Rat Murder Society »

Nobody is mentioning the obvious upside to this decision, which is the fact that this will be located right in the center of a downtown. I love Chicago, but Rosemont is not Chicago. I attended both the ICT and the HSNCT last year and got the distinct impression that very few teams went Downtown. If people are not leaving the hotel, then I really do not understand the downside of Atlanta. If people are leaving the hotel, then the Atlanta location is clearly preferable.

The only downside of this decision would seem to be the fact that less teams will be able to drive to Atlanta and they will need to fly more staffers in. NAQT has clearly determined that they should be fine with the staffer situation, so that is really a non issue. While there are probably a few more teams that drive into Chicago than would drive into Atlanta, I cannot imagine that the net difference is more than ten teams. Atlanta has very cheap airfare and, being the busiest airport in the world, it is very accessible.

The upside to this move would seem to be tremendous. It allows teams from the South that cannot go to Chicago the chance to experience a national tournament, hopefully helping to advance the Southern circuit. It also gives variety to coaches and staffers who are tired of going to the same location. Most importantly, though, it is at an awesome hotel with an awesome location. Instead of having, what, half a dozen restaurants within walking distance, there will be several hundred. The same can be said for attractions, with Turner Field, the Georgia Aquarium, the CNN Center, Coca Cola World, and Centennial Olympic Park all being within walking distance. I know I am probably sounding like a travel brochure, but I really found the Rosemont location very frustrating for its lack of area entertainment. My personal feeling is that if I am going to spend a long weekend travelling far away (not to mention a large sum of money), I at least deserve to have an experience I couldn't have in any city in the country. Having stayed in both locations (Hyatt Atlanta and O'Hare), it is pretty clear to me that Atlanta is the much more unique experience.

I am fairly surprised by the negative reaction to this announcement. To me, it is pretty obvious that the positives outweigh the negatives in this decision. Hopefully, NAQT will make a pattern out of holding nationals in more central locations (within the city).
Last edited by Kanga-Rat Murder Society on Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nicholas Bergeon
Buffalo Grove High School '09
UW-Madison '12
WUSTL Law'15
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I probably spoke a little harshly in my first post, considering I have no shouting interest in the matter and as a staffer, if NAQT wants to fly me out there, so be it. I was just a little surprised considering the survey results, but Jeff and Dwight make cogent points.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Steeve Ho You Fat
Auron

Post by Steeve Ho You Fat »

Carangoides ciliarius wrote:
cvdwightw wrote:I think Jeff's reasoning is perfect. You have to take into account selection bias - in this case, there are a lot of Southern teams that either do not want to travel to Chicago or can't raise the funds to get there and their votes obviously don't count.

But there were two other cities (excluding Chicago) with far less than 50% of respondents indicating a low or extremely low preference in attending Nationals there.

I will say that i like, so far, that apparently the rooms are about $30 cheaper per night in Atlanta than Chicago, which is a nice bonus. I can only pray that 5 plane tickets are not going to cost me $2000 like last time... if we actually are good enough to go this year.
Assuming that you would fly out of BWI, a search on travelocity shows round trip Delta flights for 5 people for $1177 (it is true that having a major air hub helps), or train tickets on Amtrak from Wilmington (leaving on the 26th and returning on the 30th) for $665.

While plane tickets will certainly go up as it approaches, Atlanta is directly on a train line that runs from New Orleans, through Alabama, and on to North Carolina, and through the mid-Atlantic region to New York City. Taking the train does take up more time, but it comes every day and is much less costly than a plane ticket if you live in one of those areas. Unlike Chicago, however, Atlanta is not a major Amtrak hub, so if you don't live in the path of that one line train travel will be difficult, time-consuming, and possibly costly.
Joe Nutter
PACE Emeritus
Michigan State University '14
Walnut Hills High School '11
STPickrell
Auron

Post by STPickrell »

Atlanta is probably the second-best city to hold HSNCT in. And yes, kudos for hosting it downtown.
Shawn Pickrell, HSAPQ CFO
cchiego
Yuna

Post by cchiego »

Atlanta's the hub for AirTran, so you're going to find a bunch of extremely cheap prices from across the country using them. Delta can have good sales too and in general prices should be very low.

Downtown Atlanta isn't the best big-city downtown, but it's very close to a bunch of cool attractions as was pointed out and we can finally find places to eat other than a McDonald's 1 mile away or the overpriced food in the hotel itself. Also: southern food is awesome and I know several excellent places within walking distance of the hotel.

Also: free internet is awesome.

Staffing really shouldn't be that much of a problem- there are tons of alumni from the GA schools as well as Dorman and some of the Alabama schools in the area plus a not-insignificant number of college players who have experience reading/working at tournaments, so if those networks can be tapped there should be a surfeit of staff available, at least to help scorekeep.
Chris C.
Past: UGA/UCSD/Penn
Present: Solano County, CA
Kwang the Ninja
Rikku

Post by Kwang the Ninja »

I know specifically of at least one school whose bid to raise funds for HSNCT will be significantly buoyed by the tournament actually being within feasible driving distance from us. The proximity of this tournament to an already-somewhat-active southeast circuit is a huge coup for the development of high school quizbowl in this area, and I applaud NAQT for this (admittedly, daring) decision.
Dallin Kelson
Chipola '11, UF '13
Carambola!
Lulu

Post by Carambola! »

Speaking for the Western teams that have to fly in regardless, this is excellent money-wise and attraction wise. Let's see how this goes.
Jeffrey Li
Mission San Jose High '11
Berkeley '15

But I shall forgive you. Some things are beautiful because they cannot be obtained.
jrbarry
Tidus

Post by jrbarry »

On the NAQT survey this year, I voted NO interest in Atlanta as a site. But, should my team qualify, we'll be there as it is where we live (Metro Atlanta). I prefer a trip to staying in ATL for nationals. Just my preference. (Will I ever get to go to Calif again for quiz bowl??)

I have been to about 20 conventions at the ATL Hyatt. It is the oldest atrium hotel in the world. It is a very nice venue, but I cannot see 200 teams competing there without using many, many small hotel rooms as competition sites. I guess that has been done before though.

Atlanta downtown is NOT the site of most places people visit when they come to ATL UNLESS they come for sporting events in the GA Dome. You can use public trans to get to many of the interesting places pretty easily though.

One thing I do know: NAQT will do a bang-up job hosting in the ATL just like they have done every year since OKlahoma, 1999.
J.R. Barry
Retired teacher and former coach
Connie Prater
Lulu

Post by Connie Prater »

jrbarry wrote: Atlanta downtown is NOT the site of most places people visit when they come to ATL UNLESS they come for sporting events in the GA Dome. You can use public trans to get to many of the interesting places pretty easily though.
I think I remember walking to Centennial Olympic Park during Beta Convention, and isn't the World of Coke and the Aquarium only like 3-4 blocks away from the Hyatt Regency?
Connie Tzeng
Chattahoochee High School 2006-2010
UChicago 2010-2014
Cat Mom 2016-
PACE
centralhs
Wakka

Post by centralhs »

Centennial Olympic Park, the Aquarium and the World of Coca Cola are all grouped together right by the Georgia Dome and an easy walk from the Hyatt Regency. The NAQT website says that the High Museum is also within walking distance, which it isn't (unless you want a really hefty walk as it's in midtown not downtown) but it's a short ride away on MARTA. I think that people will be really pleased with the location of the Hyatt since a MARTA stop is located within a block of the hotel, making it easy to go pretty much anywhere that a visitor would want to go, including the airport. Also, as other people have mentioned, there are many places to eat by the hotel, including a large food court.
Cathy Hirsch
Chamblee Middle School (2013-present)
Central Gwinnett High School (1997-2012)
Angry Babies in Love
Yuna

Post by Angry Babies in Love »

La Maga wrote:
jrbarry wrote: Atlanta downtown is NOT the site of most places people visit when they come to ATL UNLESS they come for sporting events in the GA Dome. You can use public trans to get to many of the interesting places pretty easily though.
I think I remember walking to Centennial Olympic Park during Beta Convention, and isn't the World of Coke and the Aquarium only like 3-4 blocks away from the Hyatt Regency?
Yeah the State Capitol is right down there too if i remember correctly
Raynell Cooper
Arcadia ES '04
Richard Montgomery HS '11
George Washington University '15
University of Maryland, College Park '17
Hella things, National History Bee and Bowl
Important Bird Area

jrbarry wrote:It is a very nice venue, but I cannot see 200 teams competing there without using many, many small hotel rooms as competition sites. I guess that has been done before though.
We will not be using any small hotel rooms as competition sites; all of the rooms reserved as game rooms are meeting rooms, ballrooms, or suites.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Marble-faced Bristle Tyrant
Yuna

Post by Marble-faced Bristle Tyrant »

When the time comes, we'll see how many GT people would be interested in staffing. Speaking for myself, I am definitely interested in helping out.
Farrah Bilimoria
Formerly of Georgia Tech and Central High School (Macon)
Masked Canadian History Bandit
Rikku

Post by Masked Canadian History Bandit »

naqt.com wrote: In addition, if there are at least five Canadian schools in attendance, a Top Canadian Team title will be awarded after a final; if at least ten are in attendance, a parallel playoff for the Canadian title will be held (similar to what is done to determine the Top Small School). The exact format of that playoff will be determined by the overall finish of the Canadian teams.
I don't think that most people will care, but this is detrimental to the development of a high-level Canadian high school quizbowl circuit. With this choice of location, I wouldn't bet on any Canadian high schools coming to this but Lisgar team(s), so five or ten is more or less impossible. If cost issues prevented some of the best Canadian teams from going to Chicago (even from places as close by as Toronto), then they certainly won't be able to go all the way to Atlanta.
Patrick Liao
Lisgar Collegiate Institute 2011, University of Pennsylvania 2015, University of Toronto Faculty of Law 2019
TheKillerRabbit
Kimahri

Post by TheKillerRabbit »

Masked Canadian History Bandit wrote:
naqt.com wrote: In addition, if there are at least five Canadian schools in attendance, a Top Canadian Team title will be awarded after a final; if at least ten are in attendance, a parallel playoff for the Canadian title will be held (similar to what is done to determine the Top Small School). The exact format of that playoff will be determined by the overall finish of the Canadian teams.
I don't think that most people will care, but this is detrimental to the development of a high-level Canadian high school quizbowl circuit. With this choice of location, I wouldn't bet on any Canadian high schools coming to this but Lisgar team(s), so five or ten is more or less impossible. If cost issues prevented some of the best Canadian teams from going to Chicago (even from places as close by as Toronto), then they certainly won't be able to go all the way to Atlanta.
Actually, Patrick, when we went to the 2006 HSNCT, we travelled in three groups. One of the groups was on a flight that connected through Atlanta on its way to Chicago. Just looked at Expedia for flights a month from now, and many of the Pearson to O'Hare flights are by way of Atlanta.

Confusingly, however, flights from Pearson to Atlanta cost $150 more than flights from Pearson to Chicago that connect through Atlanta. :shock: What is going on here?

Conclusion: airlines are confusing and illogical, but transportation cost might not be a dealbreaker for Atlanta. Still would prefer Chicago, though.
Nevin 'Seriously, some day I'll get a team started' Hotson
Lisgar Collegiate Institute (Ottawa, ON) '08
Royal Military College '12
Gallia est omnis divisa in partes tres: bonus, malus, et turpis.
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Re: 2011 HSNCT

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

http://www.kansascity.com/2010/09/27/22 ... rtran.html
The deal will move Southwest into 37 new cities, expand its presence in cities like New York and Boston and move it into Atlanta, the busiest airport in the nation.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Important Bird Area

I just merged the two HSNCT threads and forbidden-zoned the duplicate.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Important Bird Area

Online registration for the 2011 HSNCT will be available December 1st, 2010.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Jeff,

You said teams can register today. But when I went to the NAQT site to do so, I could not find a registration form. Can you advise on the correct procedure to register?

Thanks.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Post by Frater Taciturnus »

Edward Powers wrote:Jeff,

You said teams can register today. But when I went to the NAQT site to do so, I could not find a registration form. Can you advise on the correct procedure to register?

Thanks.
http://www.naqt.com/hsnct/2010/registration.jsp seems to be what you are looking for.
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
J. Sargeant Reynolds CC 2008, 2009, 2014
Virginia Commonwealth 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,
Douglas Freeman 2005, 2006, 2007
Important Bird Area

That's last year's form. I'll ask R. when the new one will be available.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Judson Laipply
Rikku

Post by Judson Laipply »

Who should we contact about volunteering to read/scorekeep at the HSNCT?
James L.
Kellenberg '10
UPenn '14
UChicago '20
Important Bird Area

Joel Gluskin, jgluskinnaqt at gmail
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Judson Laipply
Rikku

Post by Judson Laipply »

bt_green_warbler wrote:Joel Gluskin, jgluskinnaqt at gmail
Thanks, and Email sent.
James L.
Kellenberg '10
UPenn '14
UChicago '20
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Any news about when the 2011 HSNCT Registration form will be ready?
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
Important Bird Area

Soon. Likely to be early next week.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Important Bird Area

Registration is now open for the 2011 HSNCT!

The current field can be found here.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Remember-the-Alamo-Remember-Goliad
Wakka

Post by Remember-the-Alamo-Remember-Goliad »

Dallas to Chicago 802 miles

Dallas to Atlanta 732 miles

In my book, that is a wash.

We loved Chicago -- a lot;
but Atlanta will be a fantastic place to explore as well.

We'll be there - 2 teams strong from the Lone Star Republic!
Gregory Schweers
County of Dallas
City of Irving
Cistercian Preparatory School Team
The only Monk on this whole board
Smuttynose Island
Forums Staff: Moderator

Post by Smuttynose Island »

I was wondering if TJ could get any confirmation of NAQT receiving our B team's wildcard bid? We sent it in by e-mail two business days and haven't received any acknowledgment that NAQT received it.

EDIT: Thank you.
Last edited by Smuttynose Island on Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Daniel Hothem
TJHSST '11 | UVA '15 | Oregon '??
"You are the stuff of legends" - Chris Manners
https://sites.google.com/site/academicc ... ubuva/home
Important Bird Area

Yes, we received the wildcard bid from TJ B.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Important Bird Area

In related news: we are now accepting wildcard and standby requests for the 2011 HSNCT.
naqt.com wrote:To request a wildcard bid, send a summary of your season's results in all forms of academic competition (not just NAQT and not just quiz bowl) to hsnct [at] naqt.com. Standby bids can be requested at the same address, but make sure you realize that you are pledging to attend the tournament without a guarantee of competing.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Important Bird Area

As of this afternoon, there are 149 teams registered for the 2011 HSNCT. Teams that have not yet registered should do so in the near future to secure a spot in the field.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Steeve Ho You Fat
Auron

Post by Steeve Ho You Fat »

Is there any word on when the list of wildcards and standby teams will be posted?
Joe Nutter
PACE Emeritus
Michigan State University '14
Walnut Hills High School '11
Important Bird Area

Joe N wrote:Is there any word on when the list of wildcards and standby teams will be posted?
There isn't a separate list of wildcards; teams with approved wildcard bids just register normally.

I'll ask about getting the standby list posted.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Important Bird Area

164 teams now registered.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

MahoningQuizBowler
Rikku

Post by MahoningQuizBowler »

Is there a count of how many of these are small school eligible? Thanks!
Greg Bossick
Director, Mahoning Quizbowl League (2004-2011, 2013-present)
Director, NAQT Ohio Small School State Championship (2018-present)
Executive Director, Ohio Academic Competition (2013-2016)
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

bt_green_warbler wrote:164 teams now registered.
As a re-request, would it be possible to put a real-time count of teams that are registered on the field page itself?

Also, in terms of the 208-team cutoff, when does a team get their spot? When I start the registration or when I hit "done"?
Jon Pinyan
Coach, Bergen County Academies (NJ); former player for BCA (2000-03) and WUSTL (2003-07)
HSQB forum mod, PACE member
Stat director for: NSC '13-'15, '17; ACF '14, '17, '19; NHBB '13-'15; NASAT '11

"A [...] wizard who controls the weather" - Jerry Vinokurov