Collegiate NAQT: Participating Colleges?

This forum is for anyone seeking advice on starting a collegiate team, branching out into new types of tournaments, or other "how-to" aspects of collegiate quizbowl.
Captain_Z
Kimahri

Collegiate NAQT: Participating Colleges?

Post by Captain_Z »

I'm wondering if there is a list of participating colleges available for NAQT. I'd like to find out how many are in my region (without specifically searching for each college I can find).

Thanks in advance for any links.
Zack Truelson
Augustana College, 2014
Greater Sioux Falls Home School Association, 2010
The Moviegoer
Lulu

Re: Collegiate NAQT: Participating Colleges?

Post by The Moviegoer »

Here you can find record of any school that has played naqt. You cannot search by ACUI region but you can by state:
http://www.naqt.com/stats/school-search.jsp

The results from last years sectional championships may be found here:
http://www.naqt.com/stats/results.jsp?y ... 9&coll=yes
Craig Messner
Illinois '12
Lakes Community '08
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Looks like you guys are only 4.5 hours away from Minneapolis. The University of Minnesota hosts a bunch of quizbowl tournaments throughout the year.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

The Moviegoer wrote:Here you can find record of any school that has played naqt. You cannot search by ACUI region but you can by state
We should probably enable searching by ACUI region. That being said, the local geography of quizbowl is such that Mike has the right solution in one sentence: go to as many tournaments as you can at Minnesota and Carleton.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Post by Frater Taciturnus »

You also appear to be only 3 hours and change from Chicago and UIUC both of whom are known to host tournaments.
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
J. Sargeant Reynolds CC 2008, 2009, 2014
Virginia Commonwealth 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,
Douglas Freeman 2005, 2006, 2007
Important Bird Area

Post by Important Bird Area »

Wrong Augustana, George. He's at the South Dakota one, which is a bit more remote from established quizbowl (but still should attend Minnesota tournaments).
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
theMoMA

Post by theMoMA »

Zack, schools in our immediate region that are fairly active include Minnesota, Carleton, MN Morris, Iowa, Drake, and Wisconsin. Less active teams in the upper midwest include Mount Mercy, Macalester, St. Olaf, St. Thomas, and Grinnell. Iowa State and South Dakota/SD State/North Dakota/NDSU have all had CBI teams in the past decade. And there was once a CBI team at the South Dakota School of Mines in Rapid City. A little further south, teams like Missouri, Truman State, Missouri S&T, and Wash U make up the Missouri circuit. There is also a fairly large midwest circuit to the east of us that includes teams like Chicago, Illinois, Michigan, Indiana, Notre Dame, Ohio State, etc.

If you're looking for tournaments to attend, the closest will likely be at Minnesota and Carleton, where there will likely be around a half-dozen events next year. Most of the other regional events that our club attends are either at the University of Chicago or the University of Illinois. Since you're right on I-90 and I-29, it's not that much further for you to get to Chicago/Urbana than it is for us (an extra 2 hours to Chicago, and around an extra hour to Urbana, probably). In the past, teams like Iowa, Drake, St. Olaf, and Wisconsin have hosted tournaments too. Since you're a little more southwest than we are, you're in a better position to attend tournaments in Missouri, which has a pretty well-developed circuit. We've gone to events at Truman State in the past, and Mizzou hosts several event each year as well.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
Captain_Z
Kimahri

Post by Captain_Z »

theMoMA wrote: If you're looking for tournaments to attend, the closest will likely be at Minnesota and Carleton, where there will likely be around a half-dozen events next year.
Thanks, I didn't realize there would be that many in one area. I'll probably try to get a team to some of the Minnesota tournaments, then, to generate some interest.
I was surprised to find that none of the South Dakota colleges appear to have active teams, even though the University of Sioux Falls hosts an annual high school competition, and there have been a few attempts to get one in Rapid City. NAQT is reasonably popular at that level, but it seems that it just disappears from the state beyond graduation. I'm hoping to get a team together from my own college, and perhaps get a regular tournament hosted in the state in a couple of years.
Zack Truelson
Augustana College, 2014
Greater Sioux Falls Home School Association, 2010
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Excellent. I'm sure people from Minnesota would be more than happy to offer advice or suggestions about forming a team, attending tournaments, etc.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Gautam
Auron

Post by Gautam »

Cheynem wrote:Excellent. I'm sure people from Minnesota would be more than happy to offer advice or suggestions about forming a team, attending tournaments, etc.
Always.
Gautam - ACF
Currently tending to the 'quizbowl hobo' persuasion.
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

I was surprised to find that none of the South Dakota colleges appear to have active teams, even though the University of Sioux Falls hosts an annual high school competition, and there have been a few attempts to get one in Rapid City. NAQT is reasonably popular at that level, but it seems that it just disappears from the state beyond graduation. I'm hoping to get a team together from my own college, and perhaps get a regular tournament hosted in the state in a couple of years.
I think this is probably explained by the different ways the collegiate and high school circuits are set up, in a general sense. It sounds like NAQT sets are the only real quizbowl events for high schoolers that run in that area, but in collegiate play NAQT events comprise only two (sectionals and ICT) of the numerous tournaments held throughout the year. Circuit-produced tournaments constitute the vast majority of evens held each year. It's great to hear that you're planning on organizing a team and getting South Dakota involved in the broader circuit - it sounds like there might be a lot of people in your area who would be interested in playing college qb but lack the infrastructure.
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE