The Future Caliber of Mid-Atlantic/Northeast Quizbowl?

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Self-incompatibility in plants
Rikku

The Future Caliber of Mid-Atlantic/Northeast Quizbowl?

Post by Self-incompatibility in plants »

Illinois played great at PACE & NASAT. And if you are correct about returning players, it should have an excellent year next year as well.

But if you extend the radius of travel a little, we were within 3-4 hours of 7 teams that made the top bracket at PACE, and 6 more, counting ourselves, that made the 2nd bracket. Many of these teams competed at the U of Maryland, Harvard & Penn in the Fall, and at GDS' tournament in the Spring, with some traveling 2-3 hours North, others 2-4 hours South...

The 7 top bracket teams? State College, MWGS, GDS, St. Anselm's, Hunter, Whitman & Thomas Jefferson A;

The 6 2nd flight teams form PACE, counting our own team : Charter, Walter Johnson, Richard Montgomery, Quince Orchard, Thomas Jefferson B, and my own Saint Joe's.

In addtion, there were several national calibre teams from this region that did not go to PACE (I think some, if not all, went to the HSNCT); I am referring to Kellenberg, Caesar Rodney, Bergen Academies. Livingston & Seton Hall Prep.

How many of these will compete on the same level next year? Certainly State College & Hunter, both of whom are returning teams composed entirely of underclassmen; as for the rest, I do not know. But from Northern Virginia to Pennsy & New York, there were a great number of outstanding teams this year, as the lists above indicate.
There we go. This way we don't hijack IL's thread.
Trey Taraila
Caesar Rodney 2010
University of Delaware 2014
Edward Powers
Auron

Re: The Future Caliber of Mid-Atlantic/Northeast Quizbowl?

Post by Edward Powers »

I like your title---it invites informed responses from the close to 20 very active progeams I mentioned on the Illinois site ( and possibly many more besides), from Virginia to as far north as NJ, NY and possibly even Connecticut.

So, besides State College and Hunter, who are both loaded as we know with outstanding returning players, who else from this Mid-Atlantic/North East Corridor will be big-time players on the national scene next year based upon your knowledge of returning players?
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
Rikku

I know CR losses 3/4 of our A team (graduating Ryan, Seth, and I), returning only Alexa Andaya (an upcoming junior). CR will rebuild, I'm sure, the only question for me is how long it will take.

I know TJ is returning everyone, as is RM, and WJ (or at the very least, KK), so those teams will only get better. St. Anselm's still has Aidan and Jacob, and therefore will still be deadly. Gov has JR and Tommy still, so they will still be a team to fear. I think every other team mentioned from the Mid-Atlantic loses a number of important players and will have some work cut out for them, but I'm not positive.

EDIT: I think it's also worth mentioning that GDS has some talent coming up from their B-team and will be fine sans Matt Jackson.
Trey Taraila
Caesar Rodney 2010
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Wow---TJ & RM return everyone, and WJ stll has KK? And you are certainly correct about Saint Anselm's and MWGS if the players you mentioned are returning. So at least 5 very dangerous teams from this region in addition to State & Hunter!!!

Up here, besides Hunter, only Seton Hall seems to be returning everyone. I lose 5 seniors--3/4 of my A Team--but I do have 2 talented sophs who will only be juniors to build around, and I had 3 good frosh---but we will be raw in the beginning. I think Bergen & Livingston in NJ are losing most of their good players. On Long Island, Kellenberg will still have Nik, who can put up 100ppg at anytime, and they do have a couple of younger players who are quite good, so I think K-B will still be dangerous.

What about teams like Quince Orchard & Montgomery Blair? Any ideas? And, closer to home---if Coach Tressler is really leaving, how might this impact Charter, which seems to have so many good players in its stable? Any clues here?
Last edited by Edward Powers on Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
t-bar
Tidus

Post by t-bar »

GDS obviously loses a lot of talent with Matt Jackson, but I think their underclassmen deserve a mention. They put up nearly 20 PPB on the Prison Bowl set, and Daniel had some nice buzzes alongside Matt at NSC. I'm guessing that they will be a major competitor in the region next year.
Stephen Eltinge
Then: TJ, MIT, Yale, PACE, NAQT
Now: ACF
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

I thought they might be good. Thanks for the update, Stephen.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
Kouign Amann
Forums Staff: Moderator

Post by Kouign Amann »

QO loses David, but returns Sean and Chris, who seem dedicated to improving and have certainly made strides since first appearing at FNT. Blair loses Jeremy and I'm not sure who else.
Aidan Mehigan
St. Anselm's Abbey School '12
Columbia University '16 | University of Oxford '17 | UPenn GSE '19
Rikku

Obviously someone from Charter can describe what is happening there better than I can, but from what I have heard, Charter will certainly have a some mountains to climb next year with the loss of Mr. Tressler, and their new anti-extracurricular School President. I think recall someone saying that they may only be able to attend in-state tournaments next year? But I'm not sure. Either way, Charter is still an excellent school with lots of natural talent, so I wouldn't be surprised if they still managed to be a competitive team.
Trey Taraila
Caesar Rodney 2010
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

It's hard to imagine Charter not being able to travel. It's only one year removed from double National Championships. Very very puzzling!!!
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
mastaloo
Wakka

Post by mastaloo »

Edward Powers wrote:It's hard to imagine Charter not being able to travel. It's only one year removed from double National Championships. Very very puzzling!!!
Not when the principial is bent on denying the team funds. Apparently, academic teams will only get funding for in-state ventures, which doesn't amount to much. I understand we're going through difficult economic times, but winning ventures should be funded, while losing ones shouldn't (like our football team, which is perenially 1-9). But we couldn't dare tamper with precious sports.
Alex Gross
Delaware '14

"I have something to say about the difference between American and European cities. But I've forgotten what it is. I have it written down at home somewhere." - David Byrne
nobthehobbit
Rikku

Post by nobthehobbit »

mastaloo wrote:
Edward Powers wrote:It's hard to imagine Charter not being able to travel. It's only one year removed from double National Championships. Very very puzzling!!!
Not when the principial is bent on denying the team funds. Apparently, academic teams will only get funding for in-state ventures, which doesn't amount to much. I understand we're going through difficult economic times, but winning ventures should be funded, while losing ones shouldn't (like our football team, which is perenially 1-9). But we couldn't dare tamper with precious sports.
Well, sports success = possibilities at big scholarships. I'm waiting for a university that'll give an explicit quizbowl scholarship. (Andy Saunders always claimed that my entrance scholarship at UBC was such, though.)
Daniel Pareja, Waterloo, Canadian quizbowl iconoclast

Stats zombie.
William Lyon Mackenzie King wrote:There are few men in this Parliament for whom I have greater respect than the leader of the Co-operative Commonwealth Federation. I admire him in my heart, because time and again he has had the courage to say what lays on his conscience, regardless of what the world might think of him. A man of that calibre is an ornament to any Parliament.
Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo »

mastaloo wrote:
Alex, our school has never given us a dime for any trip... aside from about $1500 last year for Nationals and about $600 this year for Nationals. If you subtract my stipend, we literally do get nothing from the school and we make it just fine. Considering other schools/student bodies of other schools are on the average wealthier than the kids at CR, a lack of school funding should not stop a team from going to plenty of tournaments.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org
wexs883198215
Wakka

Post by wexs883198215 »

Ophir and I will both be back, but our third player, Ashu, has graduated. We are hunting for dedicated new players, but don't even have bodies to drag to tournaments right now.

EDIT: By the way, Ophir tells me that Blair is graduating its entire A team.
Kuo-Kai Chin
Walter Johnson High School '11
Harvard University '15
Stanford University School of Medicine '19
Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo »

wexs883198215 wrote:We are hunting for dedicated new players, but don't even have bodies to drag to tournaments right now.
Why is that, exactly? You two are nice guys, you have a good coach, your school is academically-oriented (and in Newsweek's Top 100!)... you should be able to find a few other smart guys around who find quizbowl fun.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org
Nine-Tenths Ideas
Auron

Post by Nine-Tenths Ideas »

Blake will... reload... people? I will probably advise the remaining people I took to tournaments with me from the shadows on upcoming tournaments. You can expect Blake to be present, but quality-wise, I have no idea.
Isaac Hirsch
University of Maryland '14
Never Gonna Play Again
Angry Babies in Love
Yuna

Post by Angry Babies in Love »

Carangoides ciliarius wrote:
wexs883198215 wrote:We are hunting for dedicated new players, but don't even have bodies to drag to tournaments right now.
Why is that, exactly? You two are nice guys, you have a good coach, your school is academically-oriented (and in Newsweek's Top 100!)... you should be able to find a few other smart guys around who find quizbowl fun.
I went to a middle school that feeds into WJ for two years, and from what it appears the social atmosphere is one that leads those of academic competitive prowess to be ostracized (correct me if I'm wrong, maybe it was just my middle school).
As for RM, we're returning everyone from our NSC A-team (though not our A-team from the regular season, and the A-team lineups are subject to change) and we have some solid younger players, so hopefully we'll be doing well in the future. It seems like, though, that their will be a significant dropoff around here (and by that I mean DC metro+VA+Delaware) . Whitman and Blake won't be nearly as competitive, and may drop off entirely. CR, GDS, and QO will likely have varying degrees of diminishment (GDS will be good, but will they be AS good? We'll see), and Gonzaga is showing no sign of returning to its former glory of the Gioia/Puma era. I think that the region won't be as deep as it was this year or years past.
Raynell Cooper
Arcadia ES '04
Richard Montgomery HS '11
George Washington University '15
University of Maryland, College Park '17
Hella things, National History Bee and Bowl
mastaloo
Wakka

Post by mastaloo »

mastaloo wrote:
Alex, our school has never given us a dime for any trip... aside from about $1500 last year for Nationals and about $600 this year for Nationals. If you subtract my stipend, we literally do get nothing from the school and we make it just fine. Considering other schools/student bodies of other schools are on the average wealthier than the kids at CR, a lack of school funding should not stop a team from going to plenty of tournaments.
I'm not saying that a lack of funding makes it impossible to go to tournaments, but it definitely dissuades some people from going. I know for a fact that a few people on our team this year didn't go to Chicago b/c of the cost. I guess it's not so bad if you have someone drive a team somewhere, but that requires a dedicated coach, which we're losing w/ Tressler.
Alex Gross
Delaware '14

"I have something to say about the difference between American and European cities. But I've forgotten what it is. I have it written down at home somewhere." - David Byrne
Rikku

Wurzel-Flummery wrote: It seems like, though, that their will be a significant dropoff around here (and by that I mean DC metro+VA+Delaware) . Whitman and Blake won't be nearly as competitive, and may drop off entirely. CR, GDS, and QO will likely have varying degrees of diminishment (GDS will be good, but will they be AS good? We'll see), and Gonzaga is showing no sign of returning to its former glory of the Gioia/Puma era. I think that the region won't be as deep as it was this year or years past.
Idk, I think the area will be better off than expected. I predict TJ will easily be a top 10 team. St. Anselm's, WJ, and RM will all likely be top 20 teams (if not better). Gov might even be top 5 again with JR and Tommy (if Tommy sticks with HS tournaments). After those teams, we have wild cards like GDS, CR, Blair, QO and Charter that could get really good, really fast. Will we have 3-4 top 5ish teams like we did this year? No. But the region will still have loads of skill and deep talent.
Trey Taraila
Caesar Rodney 2010
Lightinfa
Wakka

Post by Lightinfa »

Self-incompatibility in plants wrote:
Wurzel-Flummery wrote: It seems like, though, that their will be a significant dropoff around here (and by that I mean DC metro+VA+Delaware) . Whitman and Blake won't be nearly as competitive, and may drop off entirely. CR, GDS, and QO will likely have varying degrees of diminishment (GDS will be good, but will they be AS good? We'll see), and Gonzaga is showing no sign of returning to its former glory of the Gioia/Puma era. I think that the region won't be as deep as it was this year or years past.
Idk, I think the area will be better off than expected. I predict TJ will easily be a top 10 team. St. Anselm's, WJ, and RM will all likely be top 20 teams (if not better). Gov might even be top 5 again with JR and Tommy (if Tommy sticks with HS tournaments). After those teams, we have wild cards like GDS, CR, Blair, QO and Charter that could get really good, really fast. Will we have 3-4 top 5ish teams like we did this year? No. But the region will still have loads of skill and deep talent.
Tommy will, no need to worry about that.
JR Roach
Maggie Walker, 2011
Rufous-capped Thornbill
Tidus

Post by Rufous-capped Thornbill »

mastaloo wrote:
Hey man, that's $2100 more than South Range got for our trips to Nationals.
Jarret Greene
South Range '10 / Ohio State '13 / Vermont '17
wexs883198215
Wakka

Post by wexs883198215 »

Wurzel-Flummery wrote:
I went to a middle school that feeds into WJ for two years, and from what it appears the social atmosphere is one that leads those of academic competitive prowess to be ostracized (correct me if I'm wrong, maybe it was just my middle school).
That's definitely part of it. Lots of kids just kind of don't really want to spend the time to get good and stop coming to practice. Also, some academically competitive clubs are just somehow more popular. Our debate and forensics teams are extremely strong and steal a lot of kids.
Kuo-Kai Chin
Walter Johnson High School '11
Harvard University '15
Stanford University School of Medicine '19
Duncan Idaho
Rikku

Post by Duncan Idaho »

wexs883198215 wrote:That's definitely part of it. Lots of kids just kind of don't really want to spend the time to get good and stop coming to practice. Also, some academically competitive clubs are just somehow more popular. Our debate and forensics teams are extremely strong and steal a lot of kids.
This is also the case at Southside. I haven't discovered an effective way to get kids to play quizbowl instead of doing forensics, particularly when the latter can bring in scholarships and quizbowl can't. We just try to expose everyone to practice as early as possible- prior to the school year, if possible. A few weeks before school starts, as kids come in to get their schedules and IDs and stuff, we hold quizbowl practices in our coach's room. This sometimes draws people; it's how I first learned of Southside's team. But the last two years, even when we've had tons of people (we once had about 30 people attending each practice), we haven't been able to convince people to study or come to tournaments.
Ben Cole, Southside '10, George Mason '14
nothing which we are to perceive in this world equals/ the power of your intense fragility:

"I'll also note the humor in me defending high schoolers from Matt Bollinger." - Mike Cheyne
Bloodwych
Wakka

Post by Bloodwych »

Self-incompatibility in plants wrote:
I daresay we will be a lot weaker this year, but we have about 10-15 capable sophmores and juniors that can learn extremely quickly. We might even have a B team this year. :party:
🚿
Quince Orchard HS '11
Maryland - College Park '15

Well, you built up a world of magic
Because your real life is tragic
Yeah, you built up a world of magic