2010-11 Tournament Schedule

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Stained Diviner
Auron

Re: 2010-11 Tournament Schedule

Post by Stained Diviner »

The dates are not going to change, though it's possible that a Northwestern and/or Southern site will be added, and it's possible that those other sites will use a different date.

The three Kickoffs that are set will attract about 100 teams, and based on past attendance there are a very small number of teams interested in ACF Fall. Also, it is not at all like the State Tournaments, where school administrators care whether or not teams enter. Teams should enter whatever tournaments they want to enter, and at that time of year they can enter several good high school and college tournaments on a weekly basis. No matter what we do, there will be some Saturdays on which teams need to choose between a good high school and a good college tournament. The teams that consider playing college tournaments generally don't give more weight to Kickoffs than they do to Earlybird, Loyburn, Scobol Solo, Decemberist, HFT, and whatever acronym Jonah came up with for our tournament.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
jdeliverer
Rikku

Post by jdeliverer »

Westwon wrote:and whatever acronym Jonah came up with for our tournament.
ANTACID?

I'm not sure how many teams this would apply to, but last year Kickoffs was the only time we qualified for nationals (actually, I forgot - we qualified through our league too). Probably most teams that would attend ACF fall would qualify at other points during the year, but it's something that might make coaches want to attend kickoffs.
Robert Volgman
Brown '14
Latin School of Chicago '10
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

jdeliverer wrote:
ANTACID?

I'm not sure how many teams this would apply to, but last year Kickoffs was the only time we qualified for nationals (actually, I forgot - we qualified through our league too). Probably most teams that would attend ACF fall would qualify at other points during the year, but it's something that might make coaches want to attend kickoffs.
If you want to do well at nationals, go to the college tournament. Period.
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

jdeliverer wrote:
ANTACID?
ADVANTAGE.

Obviously it's your decision, Nolan, but remember that because you're not in an NAQT-question-using league and NAQT questions have largely fallen out of vogue in Illinois, Kickoffs may be your team's only chance besides NAQT State to qualify for HSNCT. If that doesn't matter to you, okay, but it's something to think about.
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
Kouign Amann
Forums Staff: Moderator

Post by Kouign Amann »

I mean, Zach Foster showed everyone how it's possible to qualify for HSNCT without even playing a single tournament. Wild card bids are easy to come by, apparently, especially for quality teams. Doing well at good tournaments (like Fall) would be a good wild card resume item.
Aidan Mehigan
St. Anselm's Abbey School '12
Columbia University '16 | University of Oxford '17 | UPenn GSE '19
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

Prof.Whoopie wrote:I mean, Zach Foster showed everyone how it's possible to qualify for HSNCT without even playing a single tournament. Wild card bids are easy to come by, apparently, especially for quality teams. Doing well at good tournaments (like Fall) would be a good wild card resume item.
Playing ACF Fall is a quality part of a wildcard bid.

I'm not sure what the Zach Foster situation has to do with anything, but Zach's team did in fact win a local tournament that year.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
kayli
Auron

Post by kayli »

Hey, would it be possible for NAQT and PACE to have a rule that says, if a high school team finishes in the top x% of certain college tournaments, then they automatically qualify? I feel that a rule like that would encourage more people to attend college tournaments. I know this was one of the reasons Pensacola couldn't go to ACF Fall. ┐('~`;)┌
Kay, Chicago.
Important Bird Area

In general, we do not hand out automatic bids from non-NAQT tournaments.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Dan-Don
Yuna

Post by Dan-Don »

bt_green_warbler wrote:In general, we do not hand out automatic bids from non-NAQT tournaments.
I remember being told a long time ago that winning an IHSA Regional qualified people for HSNCT. Is that not the case?
Dan Donohue, Saint Viator ('10), Northwestern ('14), NAQT
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh »

Dan-Don wrote:
bt_green_warbler wrote:In general, we do not hand out automatic bids from non-NAQT tournaments.
I remember being told a long time ago that winning an IHSA Regional qualified people for HSNCT. Is that not the case?
No, but winning IHSA Sectionals (or even Masonic Sectionals!) can qualify you for PACE.
Brad Fischer
Head Editor, IHSA State Series
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Northern Illinois University ('10)
Assistant Coach, IMSA (2010-12)
Coach, Keith Country Day School (2012-16)
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

styxman wrote:
Dan-Don wrote:
No, but winning IHSA Sectionals (or even Masonic Sectionals!) can qualify you for PACE.
This is incorrect, as of 2009-2010. Finishing in the top X of those tournaments would qualify you, though.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Important Bird Area

Dan-Don wrote:I remember being told a long time ago that winning an IHSA Regional qualified people for HSNCT. Is that not the case?
R. informs me that this is not the case (and to our knowledge has never been the case).
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

Please note that Huskie Bowl has now been moved to January 29, 2011.
David Riley
Coach Emeritus, Loyola Academy, Wilmette, Illinois, 1993-2010
Steering Committee, IHSSBCA, 1996 -
Member, PACE, 2012 -

"This is 1183, of course we're barbarians" -- Eleanor of Aquitaine in "The Lion in Winter"
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Is nobody in Illinois using IS-96? If someone is, then by all means go to that event, but if nobody is, and teams feel like driving to Missouri, the University of Missouri is running our annual Fall tournament on October 16th. Our announcement is at viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10447. Other MU tournaments are Dec. 4th on an HSAPQ set and possibly February 12th on some kind of mirror of a housewrite.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Important Bird Area

IS #96 (like IS #100 and IS #105) is one of the sets that we will be converting to IHSA-style format. So, teams playing in any of the leagues listed here as using 2010-11 Illinois sets A through D should not attend out-of-state tournaments using IS #96.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

the return of AHAN
Auron

Post by the return of AHAN »

bt_green_warbler wrote:IS #96 (like IS #100 and IS #105) is one of the sets that we will be converting to IHSA-style format. So, teams playing in any of the leagues listed here as using 2010-11 Illinois sets A through D should not attend out-of-state tournaments using IS #96.
Whoa, whoa, now wait just a second. Do you mean to tell me that the Mid-Suburban League didn't order from NAQT for 2010-2011??? Maybe they're just late in the ordering process, but if we're going to... no I won't even say it aloud...

:aaa: :aaa: :aaa: :aaa: :aaa: :aaa: :aaa: :aaa: :aaa: :aaa: :aaa: :aaa: :aaa: :aaa:
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach (2021 & 2023 HSNCT Champions, 2023 PACE Champions, 2023 Illinois Masonic Bowl Class 3A State Champions)
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Important Bird Area

Moving Day wrote:Do you mean to tell me that the Mid-Suburban League didn't order from NAQT for 2010-2011???
The MSL did order from us; for reasons you would probably know better than I do, they have their own separate sets rather than using the generic Illinois sets. Search on the hosting page for "2010-11 MSL Set A" etc. and you'll find them.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

the return of AHAN
Auron

Post by the return of AHAN »

bt_green_warbler wrote:
Moving Day wrote:Do you mean to tell me that the Mid-Suburban League didn't order from NAQT for 2010-2011???
The MSL did order from us; for reasons you would probably know better than I do, they have their own separate sets rather than using the generic Illinois sets. Search on the hosting page for "2010-11 MSL Set A" etc. and you'll find them.
Got it. We have a peculiar set-up for our conference where a single "tournament set" won't get the job done... Rather we need 9 "pre-season" sets of 20/20, 10 "regular season sets" of 20/20 and then 2 more for the championship and the all-star game (with 30/30), and of course, a back-up set of questions or two.
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach (2021 & 2023 HSNCT Champions, 2023 PACE Champions, 2023 Illinois Masonic Bowl Class 3A State Champions)
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Boeing X-20, Please!
Rikku

Post by Boeing X-20, Please! »

2/26 NAQT State Championship at Fenton (Bensenville)

So, is somebody considering changing the date of this since it also happens to be the date of ACF Regionals thus limiting HS teams' opportunities to play good college tournaments and drastically reducing our moderator potential?

EDIT: Grammar
Last edited by Boeing X-20, Please! on Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nolan Winkler
Loyola Academy '12
UChicago '16
Boeing X-20, Please!
Rikku

Post by Boeing X-20, Please! »

Secretary of Bobcats wrote:2/26 NAQT State Championship at Fenton (Bensenville)

So, somebody's considering changing this since it's the date of ACF Regionals thus limiting HS teams opportunities to play good college tournaments and drastically reducing our moderator potential, right? Right?
Actually, we used ACF Regs for NASAT Tryouts last year anyway so this is probably moot.
Nolan Winkler
Loyola Academy '12
UChicago '16
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

Secretary of Bobcats wrote:Actually, we used ACF Regs for NASAT Tryouts last year anyway so this is probably moot.
Assuming I'm put in charge of tryout questions again, I'm hoping not to do that. I don't have a better option in mind, though.
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

Secretary of Bobcats wrote:2/26 NAQT State Championship at Fenton (Bensenville)

So, is somebody considering changing the date of this since it also happens to be the date of ACF Regionals thus limiting HS teams' opportunities to play good college tournaments and drastically reducing our moderator potential?
Also, barring extraordinary events, I plan on running another singles tournament/Matt's Buzzers fundraiser. I promise a better, less convoluted tournament format, albeit with a field cap.
Dominator
Tidus

Post by Dominator »

What the...?

So Fremd announces it's moving to February 5 so as to not conflict with Ultima, then it announces questions by Geringer so that I'm looking forward to going, then it announces it moved back to conflict with Ultima.

I guess this is a net positive with better questions will reach the masses at Fremd, but I'd really like to do both tourneys now.
Dr. Noah Prince

Normal Community High School (2002)
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (2004, 2007, 2008)

Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy - Scholastic Bowl coach (2009-2014), assistant coach (2014-2015), well wisher (2015-2016)
guy in San Diego (2016-present)
President of Qblitz (2018-present)

Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

When did they announce that they were moving back to a conflict with Ultima?
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
Dominator
Tidus

Post by Dominator »

Westwon wrote:When did they announce that they were moving back to a conflict with Ultima?
In the invitation email I got this afternoon.
Dr. Noah Prince

Normal Community High School (2002)
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (2004, 2007, 2008)

Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy - Scholastic Bowl coach (2009-2014), assistant coach (2014-2015), well wisher (2015-2016)
guy in San Diego (2016-present)
President of Qblitz (2018-present)

David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

Yes, Kevin sent me an email this afternoon, I had assumed you were included.
David Riley
Coach Emeritus, Loyola Academy, Wilmette, Illinois, 1993-2010
Steering Committee, IHSSBCA, 1996 -
Member, PACE, 2012 -

"This is 1183, of course we're barbarians" -- Eleanor of Aquitaine in "The Lion in Winter"
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

What set is the Northwestern Wildcat tournament running on?
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Dan-Don
Yuna

Post by Dan-Don »

Jeremy Gibbs Freesy Does It wrote:What set is the Northwestern Wildcat tournament running on?
Prison Bowl.
Dan Donohue, Saint Viator ('10), Northwestern ('14), NAQT