Best individual players in Michigan

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
alkrav112
Rikku

Best individual players in Michigan

Post by alkrav112 »

I'll leave this one totally up for debate. No comments from the peanut gallery...
sidar
Lulu

Re: Best individual players in Michigan

Post by sidar »

alkrav112 wrote:I'll leave this one totally up for debate. No comments from the peanut gallery...
Define peanut gallery.

I'd say Joel Knight... because I personally haven't seen any other prodigies as good as him, at least not from Michigan. DCD and Petosky graduated all their starts... Okemos too, I think.
solonqb
Rikku

Post by solonqb »

Okemos has that one girl, whose name I can't remember, who went to Scobol Solo and cleaned up.
Noah Rahman
Welcome to Simbabwe, where the property is already owned and the houses built and you compete to burn and dispossess them. Compete with Robert Mugabe, Canaan Banana, Cecil Rhodes and Sir Godfrey Huggins to earn a place on the all-time EU travel ban list!
HAHAHA
Lulu

Post by HAHAHA »

solonqb wrote:Okemos has that one girl, whose name I can't remember, who went to Scobol Solo and cleaned up.
Sarah Garnett was her name, I believe. I was very very impressed by her.
emactruman
Lulu

Post by emactruman »

Andy from Farmington is pretty decent, but it seems nobody except maybe Sarah has anything on Joel Knight.
LordOfTheFlies
Lulu

interesting...

Post by LordOfTheFlies »

To me and maybe I'm the only one who feels this way but to me it seems the runaway winner in this thread should be Joel from DCC. That kid is pretty good and he is only a junior. He'll be a terrifying senior as he seems to keep improving. Especially as his team is mostly sophomores. I think he truly could be in the top 3 in the nation especially when he gets hot. I dont know add your own thoughts....
LordOfTheFlies
Lulu

by the way

Post by LordOfTheFlies »

sometime DCC has to have a year where they do bad that doesn't involve them kicking most of michigan's ass somehow
solonqb
Rikku

Post by solonqb »

That day will come when the rest of Michigan starts traveling like they do. No sooner and no later
Noah Rahman
Welcome to Simbabwe, where the property is already owned and the houses built and you compete to burn and dispossess them. Compete with Robert Mugabe, Canaan Banana, Cecil Rhodes and Sir Godfrey Huggins to earn a place on the all-time EU travel ban list!
The Time Keeper
Auron

Re: by the way

Post by The Time Keeper »

LordOfTheFlies wrote:sometime DCC has to have a year where they do bad that doesn't involve them kicking most of michigan's ass somehow

That "somehow" is DCC consistently putting forth more effort to improve than everyone else in Michigan. If you want to eventually beat them, you should...you know...put forth more effort to improve.
LordOfTheFlies
Lulu

hmm

Post by LordOfTheFlies »

I'm know DCC does travel around and anyone who knows anything knows that they have a huge budget. That I feel can be attributed to two things their enormous success over decades and Mr. Howard Weinberg. That man was legendary in the truest sense.Right now they seem to be the team especially as they seem to have a neverending supply of kids and Joel's continuing improvement. I think they probably do deserve everything that they have gotten maybe not only time will tell.
aflowerd
Lulu

Re: hmm

Post by aflowerd »

LordOfTheFlies wrote:I'm know DCC does travel around and anyone who knows anything knows that they have a huge budget. That I feel can be attributed to two things their enormous success over decades and Mr. Howard Weinberg. That man was legendary in the truest sense.Right now they seem to be the team especially as they seem to have a neverending supply of kids and Joel's continuing improvement. I think they probably do deserve everything that they have gotten maybe not only time will tell.
As someone who knows more than most about CC quiz bowl as I both played and coached for them, they do not have a huge budget just handed to them by the school.

They have fund raisers, generous parents, and vans which have been driven to the ends of the earth and back (they very seldom fly anywhere).

Kids like Joel only come along once in a while. A good quiz bowl team is created through hard work. If you only knew the CC schedule of practicing, studying, and tournaments it would make your head spin.

As Dolemite said, its the effort, plain and simple.
alkrav112
Rikku

Post by alkrav112 »

I have to say - I've been watching Quizbusters, a locally produced quiz show, and I've noticed that Nolan from Owosso is exceptionally talented... perhaps enough so to rival Joel Knight if the two were ever to meet...
The Time Keeper
Auron

Post by The Time Keeper »

Nolan from Owosso is pretty decent, I've read for him a couple times and seen him play on Quizbusters as well. That being said, there's no way he can be considered to be among the best players in the state. He's not even the best player on Quizbusters this year.

Edit: typos.
Last edited by The Time Keeper on Sat Feb 05, 2005 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
STPickrell
Auron

Re: hmm

Post by STPickrell »

aflowerd wrote:As someone who knows more than most about CC quiz bowl as I both played and coached for them, they do not have a huge budget just handed to them by the school.

They have fund raisers, generous parents, and vans which have been driven to the ends of the earth and back (they very seldom fly anywhere).

Kids like Joel only come along once in a while. A good quiz bowl team is created through hard work. If you only knew the CC schedule of practicing, studying, and tournaments it would make your head spin.

As Dolemite said, its the effort, plain and simple.
I suspect that when you look at the annals of Virginia quizbowl, you'll see the same thing. The teams that travel, win. One can argue that TJ and Walker are magnet schools, but there are regular public schools that consistently travel and do well.

Eastern Montgomery travels more widely than most Group A schools and as such have risen from being the shadow of Radford to being a dominant force in Group A.

Spotswood, Princess Anne and R.E. Lee-Staunton travel widely and this is reflected in their successes over the years. (I can only hope that my alma mater, Warren County, will begin to see gradual improvement over the years as they begin to travel more widely.)
Shawn Pickrell, HSAPQ CFO
emactruman
Lulu

Post by emactruman »

travel = more exposure and more top notch competition

This then leads to better motivation. Motavition begets winning generally speaking (not to discredit raw talent).