Mid-Atlantic Regional NAQT Championship -- May 1, 2010

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Matt Weiner
Sin

Mid-Atlantic Regional NAQT Championship -- May 1, 2010

Post by Matt Weiner »

This is the general announcement for the first annual Mid-Atlantic Regional NAQT Championship. This is a high school academic quizbowl tournament to be hosted by the quizbowl club of Virginia Commonwealth University on either Saturday, May 1 or Sunday, May 2 from 8:30 AM to 4:00 PM. The tournament is open to teams representing high schools located in one of the following states: Pennsylvania, Delaware, Maryland, Washington DC, Virginia, or North Carolina. This tournament intends to crown the regional champion of the NAQT format on questions somewhat harder than those used for the NAQT state championships. It will also be a useful preparatory event for any team attending the NAQT HSNCT, as well as a fun and rewarding tournament for any high school quizbowl team.

The tournament will be held at the VCU campus, specifics to follow.

Our default date for this tournament is Saturday, May 1. However, we are open to moving it to Sunday, May 2 if a significant number of interested teams would prefer that date due to the May 1 SAT. If you are more likely to come to this tournament on May 2 than May 1, e-mail me at [email protected]. We hope to finalize the date as soon as possible.

AFFILIATION: This tournament will seek affiliation with the Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence and will be an opportunity to qualify for the National Scholastics Championship (pace-nsc.org), which is run by PACE and will occur in June 2010. It will also be a qualifier for the High School National Championship Tournament run by National Academic Quiz Tournaments (naqt.com), which will take place in May 2010.

QUESTIONS: The questions will be the NAQT Division II Sectionals set from 2010. Players must avoid exposure to these questions in any other event (including staffing at a collegiate NAQT Sectional in February) in order to remain eligible to play this tournament. We will use the NAQT rules, with the following two exceptions: games will end after twenty tossups rather than being timed, and players will have five seconds to answer after buzzing in on a tossup rather than three. The questions will be given to participating teams for free in paper format.

FORMAT: Our ideal tournament format is for the maximum 24 teams. The teams will be divided into four brackets of six teams each and play five-game round robins in rounds 1-5. The teams will then be ranked. Over rounds 6-11, each first and second place team will play its counterparts in the other three brackets, each third and fourth place team will do the same, and each fifth and sixth place team likewise, to produce a final ranking. The tournament championship will be decided by a final of up to two games if necessary.

In the event that fewer than 24 teams register, or that we are able to expand the field and host more than 24 teams, the format will change accordingly. All teams will be offered a minimum of 9 games in any format. Trophies will be awarded to the top four teams, and book prizes will be awarded to the top eight individual scorers.

REGISTRATION AND FEES:
-The fee structure is as follows:
Base fee: $70 per team. There is no limit to the number of teams who can attend from one school.
Buzzer discount: $5 off school's total fee for each fully functional system (control box and eight activators all work). No limit to # of systems you can bring
Staff discount: $15 off school's total fee. This could be a coach, parent, student who is not playing, etc. Team-provided staffers will keep score for various games not involving the team with which they are affiliated. Volunteer staffers must stay through all the games (except finals) in order to receive credit for their school. There is no limit to the number of staffers you can bring.
Minimum fee: The minimum fee is $0 (you can bring enough buzzers and staffers to eliminate your entire fee via discounts, but you cannot have a "negative fee.")
-To register, e- mail me at [email protected] with the number of teams, buzzers, and staffers you want to bring, and an email address where you can be contacted with details. Feel free to share this announcement with any schools that you think would be interested in attending. We are also requiring a cell phone contact number belonging to someone who will be attending the tournament, so that we can track you down if you are running late. There is no further registration form or other action needed on your part in order to be officially registered; you only need to e-mail me at that address with the information requested. Posts made in this thread will not be considered official registrations; you must e-mail me.

METHOD OF PAYMENT: All teams must pay by the day of the tournament. We prefer to accept payment in person right before the tournament starts, but we will accept checks by mail ahead of time if your procedures require it. Teams who do not pay by the day of the tournament will be charged a $25 penalty and will have two weeks to pay their total amount before we start mailing letters to your school administration about it.

We can accept cash, personal checks, or checks from school, school district, or quizbowl club funds. We have no ability to process purchase orders, credit cards, Paypal, or any other forms of payment. Bringing forms of payment outside of the three listed will be considered nonpayment and subject you to the $25 late payment penalty.

We will contact registered teams with instructions on who to make the checks out to. If you require a pre-tournament invoice in order to have a check cut, let us know by April 5 so that we can send you the paperwork in time. If you do not let us know about this requirement by April 5, and it causes you to come to the tournament without your payment, then you will be subject to the $25 late payment penalty.

TEAM & ROSTER SIZE: There may be a maximum of six players on one team's roster, up to four of whom may play at one time. There will be no exceptions to this rule. If you bring more than six players, you must register a second team to have all of them play. There is a halftime substitution opportunity in each game. Each player may appear on only one team's roster throughout the day-no switching from the B team to the A team, etc. Teams may also play shorthanded with only three players. Teams consisting of fewer than three players may not play without my express prior permission.

FOOD: Neither breakfast nor lunch will be provided by the tournament. We will advise you on nearby restaurants and convenience stores once the exact tournament location is determined.

Please e-mail me if you have any further questions. I'm looking forward to seeing a wide variety of teams for this debut regional championship on May 1.

Matt Weiner
Tournament Director, Mid-Atlantic Regional NAQT Championship
[email protected]

List of registered teams (to be updated as registrations come in):

Clover Hill
Douglas Freeman
Hylton
JR Tucker
Madison County
Maggie Walker
St. Anselm's A
St. Anselm's B
Thomas Jefferson
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron

Re: Mid-Atlantic Regional NAQT Championship -- May 1, 2010

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo »

I think we're going to try to come to Richmond two weekends in a row (if my fiance doesn't kill me) since this would be an awesome tournament for us to try. I know this is forever away, but let's just say we're expressing interest. Hopefully my top four can all come.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org
QOHS
Lulu

Post by QOHS »

Quince Orchard is also Interested in this. What does the field look like thus far?
Rev. Joshua M. Schuman
Quince Orchard High School
Gaithersburg, Maryland
Auron

You can count us out. Looks like a few of my kids think they have lives and would rather go to Prom. Bleh.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Post by Frater Taciturnus »

Two quick announcements:

1) This tournament WILL happen in Hibbs Hall on the VCU Campus. Turns out exams won't have started then after all.

2) According to a poster I walked into today, VCU is putting on a production of Die Fledermaus by Johann Strauss. I will have ticketing information for interested parties soon, probably tomorrow after I turn this paper in.
Last edited by Frater Taciturnus on Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
J. Sargeant Reynolds CC 2008, 2009, 2014
Virginia Commonwealth 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,
Douglas Freeman 2005, 2006, 2007
The Goffman Prophecies
Quizbowl Detective Extraordinaire

Post by The Goffman Prophecies »

Frater Taciturnus wrote:Die Fledermaus by Johann Strauss.
Fixed.
Dan Goff
HSQB sysadmin

Virginia Tech '13
South Carolina '15
and a couple other places
Not Thomas Dale HS

STAAATS
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

GDS (including me) is interested in attending this tournament. We'd appreciate a field update, or more information on what other teams have expressed interest.

EDIT: Due to several conflicts, we will not be attending this tournament. Good luck to everyone that goes!
Last edited by Adventure Temple Trail on Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

Post by Blackboard Monitor Vimes »

RyuAqua wrote:GDS (including me) is interested in attending this tournament. We'd appreciate a field update, or more information on what other teams have expressed interest.
We'll have a team but will be missing JR and Tommy because of the SAT.
Sam L,
Maggie L. Walker Governor's School 2010 / UVA 2014 / VCU School of Education 2016
PACE
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

RyuAqua wrote:GDS (including me) is interested in attending this tournament. We'd appreciate a field update, or more information on what other teams have expressed interest.
Field updates are occurring as soon as actual registrations are processed.
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
Kouign Amann
Forums Staff: Moderator

Post by Kouign Amann »

A non-Bollinger St. Anselm's team may be in attendance.
Aidan Mehigan
St. Anselm's Abbey School '12
Columbia University '16 | University of Oxford '17 | UPenn GSE '19
jbarnes112358
Tidus

Post by jbarnes112358 »

George, Did you announce the time and room number for this tournament?
John Barnes
Maggie Walker Governor's School

"Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo."
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

jbarnes112358 wrote:George, Did you announce the time and room number for this tournament?
Registration will start around 8:30 in Hibbs 303, with games starting at 9.
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

We will be meeting in Hibbs, room 303.

Usual info on getting there:

-The nominal address of the building is "900 Park Ave, Richmond VA" if you need to put something into your map software of choice, but be aware that Hibbs does not actually face the street, so you will have to park and then walk to the area where the building is in order to find it. I suggest printing out the appropriate campus maps and bringing them along--note that Hibbs is directly across from the Cabell Library, which will probably be easier for you to find if you have not been to the VCU campus before.
-It is almost certain that the one and only door to Hibbs which will be unlocked for the weekend is the door on the north (interior) side of the vestibule that is on the library side of the building. We will endeavor to have signs up that point you to this door.
-On Saturdays, parking on the street is free and available in most places around the campus; the best place to park for access to Hibbs is on one of the residential streets such as Park Avenue, Floyd Avenue, or West Avenue that branch off Harrison Street to the west near the Hibbs/library area. If you cannot find a space in that area, then you can try parking on Floyd Avenue near the Commons, or, further south, on Main Street. If all else fails, you should use the parking deck at Harrison and Broad, which is about three blocks north of the tournament building and will charge you somewhere between zero and five dollars to park all day on a Saturday.
-We won't be providing breakfast. There are 7-11s along Harrison at both the Main Street and Grace Street intersections, which are three blocks south and north of the tournament building respectively. If you prefer to sit down and/or eat hot food, the Village Cafe at Harrison and Grace is open for breakfast.

Here is how to get to the actual building rather than the parking garage that the VCU website sends you to:

--Get off on exit 76B if coming from the north or west. Turn left at the light at the end of the ramp, putting you on Leigh St. The next intersection will have two different streets running very close to each other than you can turn right onto; turn right onto the second/larger street, Belvidere St. Continue on Belvidere until you reach Broad Street, and take a right. Continue on Broad until you reach Harrison, and turn left. After three blocks traveling south on Harrison, you will pass a statue on your left; the building is located in that area. Turn right from here and park on a residential street, or turn left and park in the loop near the library.

--If coming from the south or east, take exit 76A, then turn left onto Chamberlayne Parkway/Avenue. Moving south on Chamberlayne, it will become Adams St as you cross Leigh. Continue on Adams until you reach Broad Street, and turn right onto Broad. Continue on Broad until you reach Harrison, and turn left. After three blocks traveling south on Harrison, you will pass a statue on your left; the building is located in that area. Turn right from here and park on a residential street, or turn left and park in the loop near the library.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

The seven round round robin just ended. Gov A is 7-0, st anselms just beat down TJ and Douglas Freeman will be the fourth playoff team. Hylton, Clover Hill, and JR Tucker are tied at 2-5, and Madison County rounds out the bottom bracket.
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
Auron

Why did so many of these... i dunno... let's just say not-quite-as-good teams... come to this tournament, but not last week's?
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Carangoides ciliarius wrote:Why did so many of these... i dunno... let's just say not-quite-as-good teams... come to this tournament, but not last week's?

I imagine for some it was the same reason you did not come this week- the date did not work out, but they wanted to play a tournament. I'm fairly certain this is Hilton's first actual tournament, so they have acquitted themselves nicely.

prelims: http://results.scobo.net/SQBS.aspx?org= ... =standings
playoffs updated as we go: http://results.scobo.net/SQBS.aspx?org= ... age=rounds
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

TJ plays gov close again, up 210-130 at the half. Ends up losing 335-265.

TJ: 7-1-0
Gov: 5-7-0
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

St anselms beats gov.

Commence advantaged final
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
t-bar
Tidus

Post by t-bar »

Matt Weiner appears; informs George that because Anselm's and Gov played the same teams in the prelims, the records actually carry over. Therefore, Gov and Anselm's are 1-1 against each other and it will be a non-advantaged one-game final.
Stephen Eltinge
Then: TJ, MIT, Yale, PACE, NAQT
Now: ACF
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

MW won the final 295-185.

10 rounds, final, and exhibition game were completed at 3:14.
Matt Weiner
STPickrell
Auron

Post by STPickrell »

Frater Taciturnus wrote:I imagine for some it was the same reason you did not come this week- the date did not work out, but they wanted to play a tournament. I'm fairly certain this is Hilton's first actual tournament, so they have acquitted themselves nicely.

prelims: http://results.scobo.net/SQBS.aspx?org= ... =standings
playoffs updated as we go: http://results.scobo.net/SQBS.aspx?org= ... age=rounds
Hylton had a brief period of ascendancy, beating a TJ depleted A team to win the inaugural NAQT Virginia championship back in 2000, after they placed 3rd with a team of juniors at VHSL states.

They then ran into Patrick's Press at regionals in 2001 and did not return to states.

Their coach (Chris Stallings) moved on to California, though. They've made VHSL regionals a few times over the years, though.
Shawn Pickrell, HSAPQ CFO