Michigan '09-'10

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Broad-tailed Grassbird
Tidus

Re: Michigan '09-'10

Post by Broad-tailed Grassbird »

Okemos and DCD when are you getting to MSU on Friday? I need to drop off buzzers (DCD), and a record (Ian from Okemos).
Nalin
Scranton Middle School (2000-2003)
Brighton High School (2003-2007)
Michigan State University (2007-2011)
Semi-Retired (2012-present)
michiefs
Kimahri

Post by michiefs »

I know David and I will be taking the day off from school to watch morning matches; we're not doing anything in our classes anyway so we'll be there around 10. The whole team will be there about 2 since our first game is 215 last i checked.
Ian Nilsen
Okemos High School 2010
"Go ahead...make my day"
master15625
Rikku

Post by master15625 »

Um, we will be there around 1, as our first match doesn't start till 1:15. But we might come at 12:45.
Neil Gurram
'10 DCDS
'15 MIT
'16 MIT
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

KMO is still going on?! That tournament always gave me nightmares because it was impossible to predict success for.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
master15625
Rikku

Post by master15625 »

KMO is one of the most accessible tournaments in the State of Michigan, so it isn't surprising that it is still going on.
Neil Gurram
'10 DCDS
'15 MIT
'16 MIT
Broad-tailed Grassbird
Tidus

Cheynem wrote:KMO is still going on?! That tournament always gave me nightmares because it was impossible to predict success for.
Working on fixing that...
Nalin
Habitat_Against_Humanity
Rikku

Post by Habitat_Against_Humanity »

Does anyone know how Owosso did today? I was hoping to watch them tomorrow while my parents are at the Spring football game. I see they most likely played DCC in their first game and based on what I've seen of DCC, I'm forced to assume they lost. Can anyone confirm/deny this?
Rachel
UChicago 09
DrCongo
Wakka

Post by DrCongo »

Habitat_Against_Humanity wrote:Does anyone know how Owosso did today? I was hoping to watch them tomorrow while my parents are at the Spring football game. I see they most likely played DCC in their first game and based on what I've seen of DCC, I'm forced to assume they lost. Can anyone confirm/deny this?
Yes, we did beat them.
Bobby Dorigo Jones
Detroit Catholic Central '12
Michigan State University '16
Harvard '17
The Time Keeper
Auron

Post by The Time Keeper »

Habitat_Against_Humanity wrote:Does anyone know how Owosso did today? I was hoping to watch them tomorrow while my parents are at the Spring football game. I see they most likely played DCC in their first game and based on what I've seen of DCC, I'm forced to assume they lost. Can anyone confirm/deny this?
The good news is that losing at KMO States means you don't have to be at KMO States anymore.

God how I hated that tournament.
Pat Freeburn - No particular affiliation.
master15625
Rikku

Post by master15625 »

Anyone know who is undefeated in Class B so far?
Neil Gurram
'10 DCDS
'15 MIT
'16 MIT
Buzz Buzzard
Lulu

Post by Buzz Buzzard »

DrCongo wrote:
Yes, we did beat them.
Was the score on the order of 1000+ points to 135?

Amongst the absurdities of the format are .... well, matches between an "elite" (Top 30 or so nationally) team and a not-elite lineup that end up with scores like 1135 to 70, because the format is (and has always been, even back when I was playing it in 1990 and 1991) THIRTY. MINUTES. LONG.

At least they're back to allowing pencil and paper for computational tossups. Writing utensils and pads were forbidden in the 1990 tournament. Ha ha ha. Then they were allowed in 1991. And then they flip flopped back and forth about that.

There was no such concept as "Bad Quiz Bowl" back in the day. Quiz Bowl was, by definition, in most jurisdictions, Bad Quiz Bowl. Besides the "GE College Bowl" program, in which being "hosed" was part of The Game, there really wasn't much to compare it with, at least before the widespread existence and use of the Internet (and Usenet), along with a growing DIY ethic, started facilitiating major changes in the landscape. Such as a working definition of "hoses" and "swerves" with regards to pyramidal question writing.

Hell, :chip: 's tournament was seen as quasi-legitimate for many years. So what if you got ripped off?

Anyhow. I should make it out to the campus to catch some of the action tomorrow.
Michael Knapp
Koan master
Alma College '95
Occasional HSNCT staffer
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

What is wrong with a 30 minute long format? Isn't that what we schedule for most games?
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Buzz Buzzard
Lulu

Post by Buzz Buzzard »

Jeremy Gibbs Freesy Does It wrote:What is wrong with a 30 minute long format? Isn't that what we schedule for most games?
18 minutes is the length in the HSNCT matches.

This is 30 minutes of Knowledge Master Open questions, mind you. :bees: :party: :capybara: :shock:
Michael Knapp
Koan master
Alma College '95
Occasional HSNCT staffer
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Still, that's not a great deal longer than the usual - at the HSNCT and pretty much every 20/20 event, they allot 30 minutes per round to accommodate for natural delays in the game. Maybe it's somewhat long, but there are literally formats like Missouri's that take around 50 minutes to conduct. I can completely buy that this tournament sucks, but I don't see how 30 minute matches are by themselves crazy long.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

It feels really long when you're playing it because the questions are all speedchecks, so it's just question after question (and I think for a bonus, you just get a second question for your team, which is not written any differently). So it's very laborious.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
DrCongo
Wakka

Post by DrCongo »

Buzz Buzzard wrote:Was the score on the order of 1000+ points to 135?
No, it was a little closer. We won by around 3-400 If I remember correctly.
master15625 wrote:Anyone know who is undefeated in Class B so far?
I'd expect that team to be Dewitt.
Bobby Dorigo Jones
Harvard '17
Broad-tailed Grassbird
Tidus

Double elimination sucks. So do the questions.
Nalin
Buzz Buzzard
Lulu

Post by Buzz Buzzard »

nalin wrote:Double elimination sucks. So do the questions.
So are you saying that a prompt to name the first three imperfect gerunds in the Declaration of the Rights of Man is :chip: -esque quiz bowl?
Michael Knapp
Koan master
Alma College '95
Occasional HSNCT staffer
miracle22
Kimahri

Post by miracle22 »

Does anyone have the final results from this weekend?

Also, have they always done All-Class Team nominations at this tournament? I don't recall them doing that in previous years.
master15625 wrote:KMO is one of the most accessible tournaments in the State of Michigan, so it isn't surprising that it is still going on.
A lot of the leagues in the area run their season on KMO questions. The Washtenaw Area league does for sure, and we send our top two teams onto the state championships every year (Saline has been one of the two for at least the past 4 years). Other than our team, I don't think many of the other teams in our league get a lot of exposure to NAQT tournaments during the year either, so KMO is definitely accessible to these teams (in more ways than one).
Hema Karunakaram
Saline High School '10
University of Michigan '14
Habitat_Against_Humanity
Rikku

nalin wrote:Double elimination sucks. So do the questions.
Hey now. I actually learned two things in watching one round today. First, there are apparently different types of anchors. Secondly, there are apparently two main types of ducks: diving and dabbling.
...And knowing is half the battle.
Rachel
UChicago 09
Broad-tailed Grassbird
Tidus

miracle22 wrote:Does anyone have the final results from this weekend?

Also, have they always done All-Class Team nominations at this tournament? I don't recall them doing that in previous years.
They did them last year, I remember voting on it.
Nalin
Buzz Buzzard
Lulu

Post by Buzz Buzzard »

miracle22 wrote:Does anyone have the final results from this weekend?
The final brackets are now posted on the tournament website. :party: Grosse Pointe North, Country Day, and Kalamazoo Christian won the first place trophies.

master15625 wrote:KMO is one of the most accessible tournaments in the State of Michigan, so it isn't surprising that it is still going on.
A lot of the leagues in the area run their season on KMO questions. The Washtenaw Area league does for sure, and we send our top two teams onto the state championships every year (Saline has been one of the two for at least the past 4 years). Other than our team, I don't think many of the other teams in our league get a lot of exposure to NAQT tournaments during the year either, so KMO is definitely accessible to these teams (in more ways than one).
KMO has, for a very long time, shown a weird and disturbing fetish for grammar-based questions.

Edit: and shameless use of stock clues. Truman Capote's childhood friend made an appearance on Saturday. :wink:
Michael Knapp
Koan master
Alma College '95
Occasional HSNCT staffer
Buzz Buzzard
Lulu

Post by Buzz Buzzard »

So while I'm enjoying this sixer of Bell's Oberon..............here are some random observations about the matches played much earlier today at the Michigan state tournament:

1.) Question: "What is the last intransitive verb of the Gettysburg Address?"

2.) Question: paraphrasing--"What article of the U.S. Constitution gives the details of Executive Privilege?"

Answer: There is no article that mentions Executive Privilege.

3.) Questions in a couple of adjacent rounds going something like "Spell the homophone of the word that means....". Like, the homophone being defined is "Gamble", but the question wants you to spell the word "Gambol".

4.) The "Categories" in their own right can end up being giveaway clues. Like, when the Category is "Heavenly Compositions".

I won't even get into the vagaries of the rules regarding the moderator reading the Category Name before each question.

5.) A question in the 12:00 PM round going something like "What would Spanish Main be an abbreviation for?" Answer: Spanish Mainland

6.) "The duties of the Prime Minister are enumerated in which part of the British Constitution?"

Answer: They aren't. OH, SNAP.

7.) "Which countries formally recognized the Confederate States of America?"

Answer: There were none. OH, SNAP * 2.

8.) Generally, far too many "On which Continent....." questions, or else, "CATEGORY: NATIONAL PARKS. Which country features the following national parks?..."

9.) "Friars from what order, founded by St. Dominic....."

Lead-ins like that make the baby Jesus cry.

10.) "What is the first participle in the Gettysburg Address?" No, really, I'm not making that up.

11.) The aforementioned Dabbling/Diving ducks question, which, actually, was (IMO) more a case of being poorly written than an overly trivial distinction. But it -sounds- corny, and that matters.

12.) Doing computational arithmetic in a base other than base-10 is a staple of the KMO repertoire, and this year's official non-base-10 base was definitely base-6.

13.) Another question pattern that showed up a few times: "While sailing (pick a direction) in (pick a body of water), which country would be on the (pick PORT or STARBOARD) side?"

14.) Unlawful Enemy Combatant and Unlawful Combatant were answers in the same packet in an afternoon round

15.) Quote one of the moderators after a blanked TU: "They're looking for Heliotropism". Hey, we didn't write this crap.

16.) The 3 or 4 "Song Parody" questions were confusing and obtuse far beyond even much of the confusing and obtuse stuff that came up in the rounds today

17.) A "What member of the cabinet fits alphabetically between Secretary of... and Secretary of ..." question. That's fine and dandy if you're doing a quiz on Sporcle, maybe.

18.) The "Duck Test of Inductive Reasoning" question: "If it looks like a duck......" Even the moderator cringed very visibly at having to read that with a straight face.

That's enough for now.....
Michael Knapp
Koan master
Alma College '95
Occasional HSNCT staffer
DrCongo
Wakka

Post by DrCongo »

Any chance NAQT states will go up? No rush, just curious.
Bobby Dorigo Jones
Harvard '17
master15625
Rikku

Post by master15625 »

DrCongo wrote:Any chance NAQT states will go up? No rush, just curious.
I know you probably don't recall last year, but it took about around three weeks or so for Nalin to post the March Madness statistics at last year's MSU. My guess is that it will take much time; I really hope Nalin can just tell what is going on, and why he would sort of "lie" saying he would post it two Mondays ago, and yet he still hasn't.
Neil Gurram
'10 DCDS
'15 MIT
'16 MIT
Buzz Buzzard
Lulu

Post by Buzz Buzzard »

master15625 wrote:
I know you probably don't recall last year, but it took about around three weeks or so for Nalin to post the March Madness statistics at last year's MSU. My guess is that it will take much time; I really hope Nalin can just tell what is going on, and why he would sort of "lie" saying he would post it two Mondays ago, and yet he still hasn't.

I'm not making any excuses or speaking for anybody else besides myself, but I know this is finals time at MSU, and well, sometimes, things not directly related to studies (and/or disaster-aversion) sometimes get pushed to the back burner.
Michael Knapp
Koan master
Alma College '95
Occasional HSNCT staffer
DrCongo
Wakka

Post by DrCongo »

Buzz Buzzard wrote:
master15625 wrote:

I'm not making any excuses or speaking for anybody else besides myself, but I know this is finals time at MSU, and well, sometimes, things not directly related to studies (and/or disaster-aversion) sometimes get pushed to the back burner.
Yeah, I understand.
Bobby Dorigo Jones
Harvard '17
Habitat_Against_Humanity
Rikku

Any word on when/where these summer MSU practices are?

Edit: Words.
Rachel
UChicago 09
DrCongo
Wakka

Post by DrCongo »

Habitat_Against_Humanity wrote:Any word on when/where these summer MSU practices are?

Edit: Words.
I would also like to know when these are going on. Any chance NAQT states will be posted?

EDIT: Question
Bobby Dorigo Jones
Harvard '17
sds
Wakka

Post by sds »

For those who are interested, we've been running summer practices in Ann Arbor; all are welcome. They're Wednesday nights from 7 - 9:30ish in room 4002 of the Michigan Union. You can email me for more details ([email protected]).
Surya
Michigan '10 & '14
ryandillon
Wakka

Post by ryandillon »

sds wrote:For those who are interested, we've been running summer practices in Ann Arbor; all are welcome. They're Wednesday nights from 7 - 9:30ish in room 4002 of the Michigan Union. You can email me for more details ([email protected]).
Yeah Mattnick and I are showing up tonight.
Ryan Dillon

Detroit Catholic Central Class of 2011
University of Michigan Class of 2015
DrCongo
Wakka

Post by DrCongo »

I'll be showing up in the near future as well.
Bobby Dorigo Jones
Harvard '17
Buzz Buzzard
Lulu

Post by Buzz Buzzard »

Michael Knapp
Koan master
Alma College '95
Occasional HSNCT staffer
ryandillon
Wakka

Post by ryandillon »

Don't they regularly attend NAQT/HSAPQ stuff that is offered in the state?
Ryan Dillon

Detroit Catholic Central Class of 2011
University of Michigan Class of 2015
Buzz Buzzard
Lulu

Post by Buzz Buzzard »

ryandillon wrote:

http://www.naqt.com/stats/tournament-te ... nt_id=3259

From the NAQT results page, I see that they competed at MSU March Madness and finished in 6th place record-wise, with the #8 PP20TH mark at 242.2, just a touch lower than #7 Novi A's 243.9, and higher than HSNCT participants Dewitt and White Cloud:

Also...

http://www.naqt.com/stats/tournament-te ... nt_id=3009

They finished 10th out of 30 teams (and 8th in PP20TH) in the Michigan Inter-County League; their JV team finished first in the JV competition with a 324.1 PP20TH mark; this was on IS 84-A, while the varsity played on IS-86.

There were bounceback bonuses in that league's format.

Going off memory, I think Jesuit also had two close battles with your school's team at the MSU Honors College state tournament.
Michael Knapp
Koan master
Alma College '95
Occasional HSNCT staffer
Buzz Buzzard
Lulu

Post by Buzz Buzzard »

Meanwhile.........the championship match for WCMU's Quiz Central, between White Cloud, and the Quzzin' Chemics of Midland High, airs this Wednesday night on WCMU's five broadcast channels, two repeaters (and widespread cable television coverage)

http://www.wcmu.org/tv/quizcentral/qc_viewagame.html

The streaming video for that match hasn't been uploaded yet
Michael Knapp
Koan master
Alma College '95
Occasional HSNCT staffer
DrCongo
Wakka

Post by DrCongo »

ryandillon wrote:

Like posted above, they definitely do, but I wish that U of D would go to HSNCT because I think they would hold their own.
Bobby Dorigo Jones
Harvard '17