ECSO: Let's Do This Again?

Old college threads.
Skepticism and Animal Feed
Auron

ECSO: Let's Do This Again?

Post by Skepticism and Animal Feed »

Charlie Dees and I were going to fly to Seattle and play Vancouver VETO. Now that certain revelations about Vancouver VETO have been made, we've decided to cancel those plans. So we're looking for a replacement event.

We decided that a summer tournament in New York City would be pretty cool. It would probably be convenient for a lot of different quizbowl people (Yetman might play, for instance) and there have been very, very few tournaments in this very, very interesting city. Also, there are two sets (Sun and Fun, ANGST) that could be mirrored this summer without anyone doing any extra writing work.

We talked to our mutual friend and Columbia student Dan Passner and he said he wouldn't be around for much of the summer. So now we're making this thread.

Anyone interested in running this? Columbia? Hunter College? Hunter College High School?
Bruce
Harvard '10 / UChicago '07 / Roycemore School '04
ACF Member emeritus
My guide to using Wikipedia as a question source
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Re: ECSO: Let's Do This Again?

Post by Mechanical Beasts »

Noted burgeoning team NYU could probably use some $$$.
Andrew Watkins
Rothlover
Yuna

Post by Rothlover »

My summer program ends Jul 15th. Depending on how much money I have left for travel, I could be back right after that, or later. Regardless, SnF seems well enough in the future that I'd likely be back for that. I know a bunch of JTS admins, I can at least ask around and see what summer room res is like. Both NYU and Columbia are damn convenient by major transport especially from Penn Station or Port Authority. I'll ask around on Mon or Tues when the offices next open, if people would like.
Dan Passner Brandeis '06 JTS/Columbia '11-'12 Ben Gurion University of the Negev/Columbia '12?
Auron

Rothlover wrote:My summer program ends Jul 15th. Depending on how much money I have left for travel, I could be back right after that, or later. Regardless, SnF seems well enough in the future that I'd likely be back for that. I know a bunch of JTS admins, I can at least ask around and see what summer room res is like. Both NYU and Columbia are damn convenient by major transport especially from Penn Station or Port Authority. I'll ask around on Mon or Tues when the offices next open, if people would like.
That would be awesome.
Bruce
ACF Member emeritus
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

I would almost certainly be interested in this.
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
Ondes Martenot
Tidus

Post by Ondes Martenot »

A summer tournament in NYC would be awesome and I would certainly be there. I would try Hunter College since I know they had lots of classrooms open where we practiced during the summer.
Aaron Cohen, Bergen County Academies '08, RPI '12, NYU-???, NAQT writer, HSAPQ writer, PACE writer
Theory Of The Leisure Flask
Yuna

Post by Theory Of The Leisure Flask »

I would love nothing more than to finally play some quizbowl in NYC before I retire. Count me in.
Chris White
Bloomfield HS (New Jersey) '01, Swarthmore College '05, University of Pennsylvania '10. Still writes questions occasionally.
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

If it's late summer (mid-August) I'd probably be able to attend, being a short train ride out.
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
Nicklausse/Muse
Lulu

Post by Nicklausse/Muse »

Would definitely be there.
Rebecca Maxfield
Brown University '13
Why do you picture John of Gaunt as a rather emaciated grandee?

N.B. Do not attempt to answer more than one question at a time.
dyetman89
Wakka

Post by dyetman89 »

Let me say, as (of course!) a completely removed and objective observer, that a tournament in NYC would be the Hanging Gardens in our quizbowl Babylon. I would be all up in that shit like...well, maybe I ought to stop myself there, and just say that we should make this happen.

As Aaron says, Hunter College is both very large and, during the summer, very empty, so this seems tempting at first blush. Of course, as some of you know my quizbowl operation is sub rosa; it's possible that the administration would look askance at a single, random student trying to reserve a block of rooms for visiting teams. I'll definitely email a dean or four right away and look into the possibilities, but I can't make any promises. NYU, Columbia proper...?
Doug
Brandeis '17
Auron

dyetman89 wrote:Let me say, as (of course!) a completely removed and objective observer, that a tournament in NYC would be the Hanging Gardens in our quizbowl Babylon. I would be all up in that shit like...well, maybe I ought to stop myself there, and just say that we should make this happen.

As Aaron says, Hunter College is both very large and, during the summer, very empty, so this seems tempting at first blush. Of course, as some of you know my quizbowl operation is sub rosa; it's possible that the administration would look askance at a single, random student trying to reserve a block of rooms for visiting teams. I'll definitely email a dean or four right away and look into the possibilities, but I can't make any promises. NYU, Columbia proper...?
I'd really appreciate you doing that. You and Dan are our best bets at this point. Update us on you and your dean.
Bruce
ACF Member emeritus
at your pleasure
Auron

Post by at your pleasure »

I could go depending on how things work out.
Douglas Graebner, Walt Whitman HS 10, Uchicago 14
"... imagination acts upon man as really as does gravitation, and may kill him as certainly as a dose of prussic acid."-Sir James Frazer,The Golden Bough

http://avorticistking.wordpress.com/
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

dyetman89 wrote:Let me say, as (of course!) a completely removed and objective observer, that a tournament in NYC would be the Hanging Gardens in our quizbowl Babylon. I would be all up in that shit like...well, maybe I ought to stop myself there, and just say that we should make this happen.

A fine angle to take is to note that money you take in from this would help you continue operating wtihout a budget given by the university, so allowing you to host this (and to continue operating unofficially) is the cheapest option available to them.
Andrew Watkins
Auron

Andy,

As a noted tournament director, do you have contact information for somebody at NYU who might be able to reserve rooms? If so can you link them to this thread.
Bruce
ACF Member emeritus
MicroEStudent
Rikku

Post by MicroEStudent »

I'd like to try to play in a quizbowl tournament in my state for once.

No offense, Southern Ontario or Pennsylvania.
Nathaniel Kane
RIT '09, '11 (BS Microelectronic Engineering, MS Microelectronic Engineering)
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Whig's Boson wrote:Andy,

As a noted tournament director, do you have contact information for somebody at NYU who might be able to reserve rooms? If so can you link them to this thread.
Done!
Andrew Watkins
SnookerUSF
Rikku

Post by SnookerUSF »

Of course, I am more than happy to have SnF mirrored, and if it helps I am more than willing to offer a significant discount for mirroring fees in order to help out NYU.
Ahmad Ragab, itinerant moderator at the New School for Social Research

ACF Nationals 2011:"Too real for the streets"
-Auroni Gupta

"Can 40,000 redacted topic Tossups be wrong?"

"With my gnomes I'm highlighting the danger of political opportunism and right-wing ideology. I get the feeling that this gnome has reopened an old wound."
-Ottomar Hoerl
JLai
Lulu

Post by JLai »

Hey what's up. I'm a current (though too lazy to go to tournaments) member of the NYU quiz bowl team. Of course I don't hold any leadership positions (because I'm a freshman) so I can't promise you anything but I will talk to our president/e-board to see if we can host something this summer. If not this summer, we would definitely be interested in hosting a tournament sometime in the near future. I've actually thought about suggesting we host a tournament but never speculated people had interest in playing quizbowl in New York. Thanks for the heads up.
Jason Lai
Norcross High School 2009
New York University 2013
Auron

BUMP

anyone made contact with their administration yet about this?
Bruce
ACF Member emeritus
dyetman89
Wakka

Post by dyetman89 »

I emailed the most prominent of Hunter's deans, and still haven't heard back. I didn't want to make a pest of myself by bombarding every email address i could siphon from our website, but at this juncture that seems to be the only course of action (short of barging into an office unannounced and demanding my unenumerated privileges). I'll raise my internet voice and hopefully get a response from some authority figure relatively soon.
Doug
Brandeis '17
Auron

There's no mechanism for calling or scheduling an appointment with a dean? I find that older people are generally more responsible to phone calls than emails.
Bruce
ACF Member emeritus
Auron

BUMP

is all hope for this lost?
Bruce
ACF Member emeritus
Rothlover
Yuna

Post by Rothlover »

If my 2nd foreign study goes through I wouldn't be present to get rooms. I could still ask officials if they'll be here over the summer and could get rooms.
Dan Passner Brandeis '06 JTS/Columbia '11-'12 Ben Gurion University of the Negev/Columbia '12?
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

I could offer up the rooms in my house (use 3 bedrooms, the dining room, the basement, and the backyard outside for a total of 6 "rooms") if people would be willing to drive out to eastern Long Island and sit on the floor for most of the rooms. I doubt that this is ideal, and I wouldn't really be able to provide staff, and I won't be home until mid-August. I'd say to use this only as a last resort type thing if nobody else can get rooms.
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
Rothlover
Yuna

Post by Rothlover »

I'd note that I have 2 buzzer systems personally (and a third partially functioning one.) If my 2nd summer program pans out I won't be back until Aug 26th, I don't know how that jibes with the current summer schedule. It has been hard to get to admin people here because summer gets lazy there until summer classes really start up.
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

Depending on what dates this winds up happening, I can most likely come into the city to moderate, run stats, etc as needed.
Jon Pinyan
Coach, Bergen County Academies (NJ); former player for BCA (2000-03) and WUSTL (2003-07)
HSQB forum mod, PACE member
Stat director for: NSC '13-'15, '17; ACF '14, '17, '19; NHBB '13-'15; NASAT '11

"A [...] wizard who controls the weather" - Jerry Vinokurov
Auron

ANGST will be ready on July 10, per an email I just received from Andy Saunders. This means we can hold ECSO on either the 10th or on the 17th of July.

I would prefer the 10th.
Bruce
ACF Member emeritus
Charbroil
Auron

Post by Charbroil »

Morraine Man wrote:ANGST will be ready on July 10, per an email I just received from Andy Saunders. This means we can hold ECSO on either the 10th or on the 17th of July.

I would prefer the 10th.
May I ask which email address you reached him at? I've been trying to contact him with no luck for the past several months.
Charles Hang
Francis Howell Central '09
St. Charles Community College '14
Washington University in St. Louis '19, 2x (President, 2017-19)

Owner, Olympia Academic Competition Questions, LLC
Question Writer, National Academic Quiz Tournaments, LLC and National History Bee and Bowl