Caesar Rodney Rider Bowl (April 17th, 2010)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Whiter Hydra
Auron

Re: Caesar Rodney Rider Bowl (April 17th, 2010)

Post by Whiter Hydra »

Dr. Isaac Yankem, DDS wrote:There's a novice tournament being held at TJ on the 24th of April (we think). So i don't want to prevent TJ from coming here, or prevent us from going there when it'll be the last chance for my freshmen and sophomores to play for the year.
TJ isn't running a novice tournament.
Harry White
TJHSST '09, Virginia Tech '13

Owner of Tournament Database Search and Quizbowl Schedule Generator
Will run stats for food
Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo »

Earthquake wrote:
Dr. Isaac Yankem, DDS wrote:There's a novice tournament being held at TJ on the 24th of April (we think). So i don't want to prevent TJ from coming here, or prevent us from going there when it'll be the last chance for my freshmen and sophomores to play for the year.
TJ isn't running a novice tournament.
Then what's this?
DC/MD/VA Date Claim 09-10 thread wrote:04/24/10 Novice Tournament @ TJHSST
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=7424
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org
t-bar
Tidus

Post by t-bar »

I thought we had announced somewhere that we wouldn't be running the novice tournament but it seems that I am mistaken. So: TJ is no longer planning to run the tentatively announced novice tournament that we tossed around a few months ago.
Stephen Eltinge
Then: TJ, MIT, Yale, PACE, NAQT
Now: ACF
Auron

t-bar wrote:I thought we had announced somewhere that we wouldn't be running the novice tournament but it seems that I am mistaken. So: TJ is no longer planning to run the tentatively announced novice tournament that we tossed around a few months ago.
That makes me more willing to change our date to accommodate this New Jersey stuff, but of course i really would rather not do it. We did, you know, claim it in like June.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

Dr. Isaac Yankem, DDS wrote:
t-bar wrote:I thought we had announced somewhere that we wouldn't be running the novice tournament but it seems that I am mistaken. So: TJ is no longer planning to run the tentatively announced novice tournament that we tossed around a few months ago.
That makes me more willing to change our date to accommodate this New Jersey stuff, but of course i really would rather not do it. We did, you know, claim it in like June.
I think you're OK, since you clearly did claim a long time ago, and since I don't think Princeton/Rutgers wants to hold states on April 17 anyway (that being ACF Nationals).
Jon Pinyan
Coach, Bergen County Academies (NJ); former player for BCA (2000-03) and WUSTL (2003-07)
HSQB forum mod, PACE member
Stat director for: NSC '13-'15, '17; ACF '14, '17, '19; NHBB '13-'15; NASAT '11

"A [...] wizard who controls the weather" - Jerry Vinokurov
Self-incompatibility in plants
Rikku

Post by Self-incompatibility in plants »

It seems like things with the NJ State Championship date4 conflict is going to be worked out so that the tournament will not be on April 17th, meaning the the date of CRRB will almost certainly remain on the 17th. However, if things remain desperate and the date of the NJ tournament is still in jeopardy, then we are not completely against discussing changing our date if it becomes absolutely necessary to do so, but again, we would really, really, prefer not to do that.

Also, this seems like as good of a time as any to announce our set options. To refresh everyone's memory, we had planned to use a HSAPQ set, but when HSAPQ decided to reduce the number of sets they were going to produce, we found ourselves without a set. So, having had a series of emails with Matt Weiner, it seems likely that we will be using a set of reformatted HSAPQ produced VHSL questions. The set we will receive will be reformatted from the original VHSL format and will have 15 sets and be standard 20/20. In regards to difficulty and distribution, according to Matt, the current internal guidelines are that the VHSL Regionals questions should be exactly the same as normal HSAPQ tournament sets, and the VHSL States questions should be slightly harder than that, but still will be noticeably easier than high school nationals. The Regionals questions would make up packets 1-8 of the set, and the States questions would make up packets 9-15. So, from my understanding, this reformatted VHSL set will practically be a regular HSAPQ set, just with harder playoff questions, which makes this option very appealing to us. We have not committed to using those questions yet, but it seems very likely that we will commit within the next day or two. Any comments from registered or interested teams are more than welcome, and are in fact invited, as we finalize our decision.
Trey Taraila
Caesar Rodney 2010
University of Delaware 2014
Howard
Tidus

Post by Howard »

Self-incompatibility in plants wrote:So, having had a series of emails with Matt Weiner, it seems likely that we will be using a set of reformatted HSAPQ produced VHSL questions.
This would seem to destroy your desire to have TJ (and all other Virginia teams) attend your tournament. I'd expect, however, that we're talking about a small number of teams regardless.
John Gilbert
Coach, Howard High School Academic Team
Ellicott City, MD

"John Gilbert is a quiz bowl god" -- leftsaidfred
Rikku

Howard wrote:
Self-incompatibility in plants wrote:So, having had a series of emails with Matt Weiner, it seems likely that we will be using a set of reformatted HSAPQ produced VHSL questions.
This would seem to destroy your desire to have TJ (and all other Virginia teams) attend your tournament. I'd expect, however, that we're talking about a small number of teams regardless.
Yes, it sadly does destroy any potential that TJ or any other VA will be able to come. The only VA team that would even consider making the journey though would be TJ (especially since Gov is going to ACF Nats), and looking at the alternative options, losing the chance to have one team come wasn't enough of a sacrifice to not go with what we think is the best option.
Trey Taraila
Caesar Rodney 2010
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

Self-incompatibility in plants wrote: (especially since Gov is going to ACF Nats)
!!!

Perhaps even scarier than the fact that they're going to ACF Nats is the possibility that they could win it.
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

You mean D2 title, right? I'm not quite willing to anoint Gov over Minnesota/Brown/Chicago/Illinois/Harvard and various other contenders just yet in their careers.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
at your pleasure
Auron

Post by at your pleasure »

RyuAqua wrote:
Self-incompatibility in plants wrote: (especially since Gov is going to ACF Nats)
!!!

Perhaps even scarier than the fact that they're going to ACF Nats is the possibility that they could win it.
cheynem wrote: You mean D2 title, right? I'm not quite willing to anoint Gov over Minnesota/Brown/Chicago/Illinois/Harvard and various other contenders just yet in their careers.
qbwiki wrote: Andy was on a Shady Side team that impressed many for its ambition when it attended the 2006 ECSO; this was before the time when elite high school players became regular attendees at college-level events.
Boy have times changed.
Douglas Graebner, Walt Whitman HS 10, Uchicago 14
"... imagination acts upon man as really as does gravitation, and may kill him as certainly as a dose of prussic acid."-Sir James Frazer,The Golden Bough

http://avorticistking.wordpress.com/
Terrible Shorts Depot
Yuna

Post by Terrible Shorts Depot »

Doink the Clown wrote:
RyuAqua wrote:
!!!

cheynem wrote: You mean D2 title, right? I'm not quite willing to anoint Gov over Minnesota/Brown/Chicago/Illinois/Harvard and various other contenders just yet in their careers.
qbwiki wrote: Andy was on a Shady Side team that impressed many for its ambition when it attended the 2006 ECSO; this was before the time when elite high school players became regular attendees at college-level events.
Boy have times changed.
Oh god, that tournament. What a trip!
Charlie Rosenthal
Shady Side Academy '09
Carleton College '13
University of Pennsylvania '18
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Trey,

You will be happy to learn, if you have not noticed on these boards already, that Princeton & Rutgers will host the NJ NAQT STATES on February 13th, so it no longer conflicts with the CRRB.

I am sorry to hear that Virginia schools will now not be able to come because of the change in question packets. But SJHS will be there, as will other schools from these Northern climes if your registration info is an accurate indicator. Hopefully, more DC, Maryland & Delaware schools will go from being interested in the CRRB and actually commit to coming in order to make it the inter-regional success it can be. And, hopefully, next year our friends from Virginia can also come.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
Rikku

Edward Powers wrote:Trey,

You will be happy to learn, if you have not noticed on these boards already, that Princeton & Rutgers will host the NJ NAQT STATES on February 13th, so it no longer conflicts with the CRRB.

I am sorry to hear that Virginia schools will now not be able to come because of the change in question packets. But SJHS will be there, as will other schools from these Northern climes if your registration info is an accurate indicator. Hopefully, more DC, Maryland & Delaware schools will go from being interested in the CRRB and actually commit to coming in order to make it the inter-regional success it can be. And, hopefully, next year our friends from Virginia can also come.
We at CR feel very fortunate that the date conflict with the NJ State Championship has been worked out, and we are also very grateful too and would like to thank those planning it for keeping CRRB in their minds when they were choosing the date of the tournament.

In regards to VA teams now not being able to go, we only realistically had hoped for about one VA team to come, as not many teams from VA have traditionally traveled very far, and even then, that one team that would potentially go only expressed interest to attend in passing online. We of course did not want to have to exclude VA teams, but in light of some changes that needed to made with our choice of set, in order to go with what we viewed as our best option, that sacrifice needed to be made. We still do have high hopes that many MD and DC teams will come, and I expect several teams to be in attendance. Thanks again for all of your concern and help, Mr. Powers.
Trey Taraila
Caesar Rodney 2010
Auron

A big bump to this to see who might have forgotten that this is just under 3 short months away. Trey will be taking care of most of the sign-up information, but you can e-mail me as well. A lot of details in that first massive post that be have been altered so check it just in case.

Hope to see you guys in mid-April for our first hosted tournament ever. We'll try not to screw it up.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
Auron

Hey everybody. We have less than two months to go before our tournament.

Here is the list i have so far for registered and interested teams. Please let me know if this is accurate, as it's been some time since i've heard from many teams on this.

Registered (12-13):
-Kellenberg (2) (3 buzzer sets, 1 moderator)
-Seton Hall (1)
-St. Joseph's (2) (1 buzzer set, 1 moderator)
-St. Anselm's (1)
-Tatnall (1)
-Charter (3-4)
-Delcastle (2)

Expressed Interest (7-?)
-Georgetown Day (1)
-Howard (1)
-Blake (1)
-Mount Pleasant (1-2)
-Concord (?)
-RM (?)

We are still considering how many teams we can handle at this tournament. If we accept more than 24, we NEED additional readers and buzzers. I will have competent students that can read, but i don't have dozens. I myself will of course moderate as well. But we only have one working buzzer set (right now), so i need more of those to get more teams. I would push it up to 28. 32 would be a miracle, but i guess it's not out of the question.

Also, i'm sure that other teams that are coming are bringing buzzers and/or moderators, so PLEASE make it explicitly clear which those teams are to either myself or Trey. Personally, i would prefer an e-mail to my address that's linked just to the right.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
QOHS
Lulu

Post by QOHS »

Consider this an official expression of interest from your friendly non-magnet public-school in Gaithersburg, Maryland - QUINCE ORCHARD!
Rev. Joshua M. Schuman
Quince Orchard High School
Gaithersburg, Maryland
Auron

Woohoo! Thanks for your interest! :grin:

Hey y'all, this tournament is in exactly one month!! You should sign up soon, because i really can't promise having a lot of slots. Also, i'm going to make my last pitch to Delaware schools this Saturday at the Blue Hen Invitational at UD, so i know that the enrollment will increase after this weekend. Our original plan was 24, and i think we can push it to 28... but any more than that will NOT happen UNLESS we get more moderators and buzzers. I only have so many qualified readers from my school. So, we really might cap this thing at 28 even though our school is plenty big enough... the staffing issue will become a problem.

Registered (12-13):
-Seton Hall (1)
-St. Joseph's (2) (2 buzzer sets, 1 moderator)
-St. Anselm's (1)
-Tatnall (1)
-Charter (3-4)
-Delcastle (2)

Expressed Interest (8-?)
-Georgetown Day (1)
-Howard (1)
-Blake (1)
-Mount Pleasant (1-2)
-Concord (?)
-RM (?)
-Quince Orchard (1)
-Hunter (1) (2 buzzer sets)

Let's see some of those "interested" teams officially register, please! You can do that by e-mailing me at the clickable address to the right. Or you can e-mail Trey if you don't like me that much.
Last edited by Down and out in Quintana Roo on Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

A minor correction---Saint Joe's will bring TWO buzzer sets.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
lchen
Wakka

Post by lchen »

Hunter is interested. (Probably with 1 team and 2 buzzers.)
Lily Chen
Hunter '12, MIT '16
Rikku

Hey y'all, this tournament is in exactly one month!! You should sign up soon, because i really can't promise having a lot of slots. Also, i'm going to make my last pitch to Delaware schools this Saturday at the Blue Hen Invitational at UD, so i know that the enrollment will increase after this weekend. Our original plan was 24, and i think we can push it to 28... but any more than that will NOT happen UNLESS we get more moderators and buzzers. I only have so many qualified readers from my school. So, we really might cap this thing at 28 even though our school is plenty big enough... the staffing issue will become a problem.

Registered (12-13):
-Seton Hall (1)
-St. Joseph's (2) (2 buzzer sets, 1 moderator)
-St. Anselm's (1)
-Tatnall (1)
-Charter (3-4)
-Delcastle (2)

Expressed Interest (8-?)
-Georgetown Day (1)
-Howard (1)
-Blake (1)
-Mount Pleasant (1-2)
-Concord (?)
-RM (?)
-Quince Orchard (1)
-Hunter (1) (2 buzzer sets)

Let's see some of those "interested" teams officially register, please! You can do that by e-mailing me at the clickable address to the right. Or you can e-mail Trey if you don't like me that much.
In addition to interested teams officially registering (which would be really great, of course!), there are some teams that have committed to coming that we still need specific information from. All teams that have registered or will register, please make sure that either Mr. C of I know the following information: how many teams you will be bringing, how many moderators can be provided, and how many buzzer sets will be brought.

Additionally, I would like to reiterate that we are more than willing to increase the cap on teams from 24 to 28 (or maybe even 30?) if need be, IF we have the capacity to do so. At the moment, we have 7 programs registered to come, and from those 7 programs, we have only 3 moderators and 6 buzzer sets committed. We are relatively comfortable with the number of moderators we can produce from our school at this point, but we are in need of more buzzer sets. Hopefully there are available buzzer systems and moderators out there from the schools that have committed to coming that we are just unaware of, so I'll reiterate again, it is critical that we definitively be informed of both the number of buzzer sets and moderators that can be provided. Any registration to attend the Caesar Rodney Rider Bowl will be considered unofficial until all necessary information is provided, so get that information in! Thanks again for all of the interest, we look forward to being your hosts in a month!
Trey Taraila
Caesar Rodney 2010
Rikku

Also, the original post in this thread (the actual tournament announcement) has been receiving periodic updates over time. So i suggest that all registered, committed, and interested teams take a second glance at the tournament announcement just to be sure that everyone is acclimated with all current updates and information about this tournament.
Trey Taraila
Caesar Rodney 2010
whyhaythar
Kimahri

Post by whyhaythar »

Concord expresses interest. If I do harass my team into going, it'll likely be one team, one moderator, two buzzers. (Hopefully)
J. Wong
Concord High School
Wilmington, DE
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Hello Trey,

Long time since we spoke. Any update on the field---have any "interested teams" committed? In the meantime congrats on your performances at Blue Hen today and at GDS last week---I understand you had a down to the wire last question match with my kids at GDS and something comparable today with Charter---both of which you won. Well done! And, back to the CRRB--- hopefully all of the interested teams will commit, making this a very competitive & gifted field. See you on the 17th.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
Auron

Ed, the last update i've made upthread is the last one i've received. I'm sure registrations will start to come in a little more just around Spring Break... and unfortunately i'm sure we'll get teams wanting spots the week of the tournament, which i'm not a big fan of, but i'll leave as many open spots as i can.

I'm going to close the field, with basically no exception, the Thursday before the tournament... unless i need a more round number to even up the brackets.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
Rikku

Edward Powers wrote:Hello Trey,

Long time since we spoke. Any update on the field---have any "interested teams" committed? In the meantime congrats on your performances at Blue Hen today and at GDS last week---I understand you had a down to the wire last question match with my kids at GDS and something comparable today with Charter---both of which you won. Well done! And, back to the CRRB--- hopefully all of the interested teams will commit, making this a very competitive & gifted field. See you on the 17th.
Hey Mr. Powers,

It has been a long time since we last spoke. I had intended to speak to you at GDS, but unfortunately the opportunity never arose. Regardless though, I would just again like to thank you for your interest and concern for our tournament, we really do appreciate do it. We certainly have been having some really good games recently, the most notable of which have of course our games with St. Joe's and Charter, among others. We acknowledge the fact that luck played a pretty hefty role in us edging out those victories, but at the same time we are more than willing to accept those lucky wins! I hope to be able to play St. Joe's again before the season's over, as I'm sure that any game we play against you guys will be a great one!
Carangoides ciliarius wrote:Ed, the last update i've made upthread is the last one i've received. I'm sure registrations will start to come in a little more just around Spring Break... and unfortunately i'm sure we'll get teams wanting spots the week of the tournament, which i'm not a big fan of, but i'll leave as many open spots as i can.

I'm going to close the field, with basically no exception, the Thursday before the tournament... unless i need a more round number to even up the brackets.
I just want to clarify that the list of team's Mr. C has posted is fairly accurate, but it isn't entirely genuine. The list I have posted on the first post in this thread is as up to date as it can be. We currently have many teams that have committed to coming to the tournament but have yet to officially register. I have complete faith that they will come, but I just want to hold off from declaring them officially registered until we get all the information we need from them (such as the number of teams, buzzer sets, moderators, etc), so that's why some teams are in a section called "Committed to Coming" on the list I have posted. In regards to teams that are interested in coming, I received some more assurances from some of those interested teams at Blue Hen that they will probably be able to make it, but nothing that was quite definitive enough for me to move their status from "Interested" to "Officially Registered", or even "Committed to Coming". From what I can tell though, many teams are doing everything they can do to make it to our tournament, and it is my belief that many of them will be able to make it. They just need some more time to make it happen. With time many of those "Interested" teams will officially register, I'm sure.

Thank you again for your interest, and I look forward to seeing you at CR on the 17th!

edit: clarity
Trey Taraila
Caesar Rodney 2010
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

There's an old cliche in sports about luck, you know. It states that "luck is the residue of design", and so, it's my suspicion that this cliche applies to your recent exciting wins as well, meaning that in order for you to be able to get lucky on a game ending question, you had to play excellently to be in that position in the first place---but, to play excellently up to the point where a decisive result would occur on a final question against a worthy opponent, you had to prepare all year long in many categories to be so "lucky" in such a decisive ending. In short, your victorious luck in the end was no luck at all---it was the inevitable result of hard work and designed preparation all year, so, we congratulate you on such luck---for we have worked similarly all year ourselves and so we know how challenging it is to get so "lucky". So---we respect your modesty, but we do not really believe that your wins were really the result of luck----but we'll wink amicably and accept your explanation if that's your sportsmanlike wish. And on the topic of the CRRB, I am sure that all will turn out fine and it will be an excellent competition.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
Rikku

Some updates have been made to the list of teams in the first post made in this thread (the tournament announcement).
Trey Taraila
Caesar Rodney 2010
Rikku

More updates to the list of teams! Let's get some more of those those interested and committed teams officially registered! The tournament is quickly approaching!
Trey Taraila
Caesar Rodney 2010
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

I noticed that in your series of updates that Hunter College HS appeared and then seemed to disappear. Please tell me its disappearance was an accident and that Hunter's name should still be there, for it is always great to have the possibility of a Hunter team in attendance!
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
Auron

Edward Powers wrote:I noticed that in your series of updates that Hunter College HS appeared and then seemed to disappear. Please tell me its disappearance was an accident and that Hunter's name should still be there, for it is always great to have the possibility of a Hunter team in attendance!
Nah, Lily e-mailed me and told me that she/they can't come.

So we still have lots of room, perplexingly so, actually... so, like, if you're a cool team (or even if you're not), sign up for this please? We need official numbers and stuff from you before you can be called a registered school!
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Sorry to hear that Hunter cannot come. Hopefully other committed and interested teams will send the materials you need to confirm their registration. See you on the 17th!
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
Rikku

This tournament is now less than 2 weeks away! Let's keep getting some more of those interested teams officially registered!
Trey Taraila
Caesar Rodney 2010
SpeedyJohn
Kimahri

Post by SpeedyJohn »

If any DC area team has extra spots on a bus or something, GDS would definitely be interested in getting a ride. Thanks
Jordan Cahn
Georgetown Day School '12
Carleton College '16
Rikku

The list of teams registered has been updated. Let's keep the registrations coming in, as this tournament is now just one week away.
Trey Taraila
Caesar Rodney 2010
Sacapuntas
Lulu

Post by Sacapuntas »

Due to the Relay for Life taking place until 6 am that morning, we won't be able to come to this.

Best of luck to you all, and I hope the tournament goes well!
Peter Andrews
Captain, Mount Pleasant High School '10
Columbia '14

"Do, or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda
Auron

The questions were received today in my e-mail so we're definitely going to have this thing. Hey, come play good quizbowl in central Delaware! Please! E-mail me or Trey like now if you're not officially registered (i'm looking at you, Charter, RM, Seton Hall, Howard, and others!)!!!
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
Auron

In case anybody is using a GPS, you can plug in our address at Caesar Rodney High School at

239 Old North Road
Camden, DE

But since this is a school most of you have never been to, i'm going to write in my final e-mail to people (which will be sent out Wednesday or Thursday to whatever e-mail address i can get from each school) with detailed directions, especially for those coming from the west (i.e. MD/DC). It's a little interesting trying to get to Camden from the Annapolis Bridge, but i'll do my best to help you if you're having trouble finding the best way.

Still time to sign up, please let us know soon if you're a school who hasn't committed!!
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
Rikku

Another teams update!
Trey Taraila
Caesar Rodney 2010
btressler
Tidus

Post by btressler »

We think we are bringing 3 teams. Still have a bunch of "maybes".
Bill Tressler,
Dickinson ('97) Carnegie Mellon ('99) Delaware ('06)
Seen moderating at various SE Pennsylvania events.
Rikku

We will be accepting registrations until 10pm tomorrow night, so let's get those last minutes registrations in!
Trey Taraila
Caesar Rodney 2010
Auron

I sent this really long e-mail late last night.
Hello everyone,

If you are receiving this e-mail, it means that you are scheduled as committed to coming to the Caesar Rodney Rider Bowl in Camden, Delaware on Saturday, April 17th. If you received this message in error (or you would like to withdraw your team), please send a reply back to me ASAP so this can be amended.

If you are coming, great! I would request that you e-mail me back when you receive this e-mail, just to confirm its receipt and your participation.

Here is our current field. Please let me know if this is accurate for your school when it comes to the amount of teams, buzzer systems, and moderators you are bringing:

Teams Registered (14):
-Kellenberg (2 teams, 1 Moderator, 3 buzzers)
-St. Joseph's (2 teams, 1 moderator, 2 buzzers)
-St. Anselm's (1 team, 1 buzzer)
-Delmar (1 team)
-Delcastle (2 teams, 1 moderator, 1 buzzer)
-Georgetown Day School (1 team, 5 buzzers)
-Blake (1 team, 1 buzzer)
-Charter (3 teams, 1 moderator, 2 buzzers)
-Quince Orchard (1 team, 1 buzzer)

Totals: 14 teams, 4 moderators, 16 buzzers

As you can see, we have a lot of teams bringing buzzers and that is awesome. You can never have too many. And we have a few moderating volunteers which is also wonderful. We are a large program so I have many kids who wish to read and/or scorekeep and are really excited to do so (we will have a moderator and scorekeeper in every room), so if your team has someone committed to moderating, you will be asked again on Saturday morning if you still wish to do so. Your discount will not be taken away if you do not want to moderate after originally stating you would. We really appreciate your willingness to help us.

Invoices can gladly be sent before the tournament to your e-mail at your request. Otherwise we will be giving them out immediately upon receipt of payment on Saturday morning at check-in.

The building will be open by 8:00am and teams may register as soon as they arrive. Parking is free and right in front of the school. You can’t miss it. Please enter through the main doors and proceed to our cafeteria that is down the hall and past the auditorium. This is where we will have our opening meeting, breakfast refreshments, and post-lunch/pre-playoff meeting. Signs will be posted in the halls that will help you find your way. Our school is somewhat large but it’s a very simple layout.

When you register, please be ready to pay your entrance fee. Checks are preferred, made out to “CRHS Academic Bowl,” but cash will also be accepted (exact payment only).

Your team will be given a folder of information upon registration. Of particular importance is the roster sheet that you will be given. Please fill it out with your team name (i.e. Caesar Rodney A) and your teammates’ first and last names. Teams may have no more than six players on one team, and no more than four teammates playing at once. Substitutions will be allowed before any game and before Tossup 11 (halftime).

There will be a rules clarification before the beginning of the tournament before Round 1. This opening meeting, along with other announcements, will begin by 8:45am. Any and all questions about game format should be asked at this time and they will be promptly answered.

You will also be given information about lunch. Unfortunately we really don’t have anything within walking distance of the school (except for a very small pizza place) so we’re going to give you a map of the places you can go within 1-3 miles. There are several options. We will likely increase our lunch time to 75-90 minutes because of this.

Here are some clarified directions to Caesar Rodney High School. If you are using a GPS (recommended of course) please use this address: 239 Old North Road – Camden, DE

Directions from the South: Please drive up Route 13 until you enter Camden. Turn left on State Route 10 (Camden-Wyoming Ave.) at the Dairy Queen in town. Take the next immediate right turn at the traffic light on this road onto Main St. Turn left at the next traffic light onto Old North Road. You will see the school right in front of you.

Directions from the North: Cross the Delaware Memorial Bridge on I-295 if coming from New Jersey, and exit onto DuPont Highway (Route 13) to head towards Dover. If coming from Northern Delaware, get to Route 13 and head south. Bear left in about 5.5 miles and stay on Route 13 (this is past all the restaurants and airport by a ways). Stay on this road as it merges into State Route 1, and you will soon head over another bridge at the Chesapeake & Delaware Canal. The road becomes a toll road at this point and I highly suggest you stay on it; trying the old Route 13 instead of the nice Route 1 is not a fun experience. You will head south for about 30-35 miles on Route 1 where you will hit your second of two toll booths just after Dover Downs International Speedway (the big NASCAR track). After this toll, exit at the Puncheon Run Connector at Exit 97, and this winding brief road will take you to the intersection with Route 13 again. Take a left at this light. In just about a mile, look to the right for a road that will bear off the highway called Old Camden Road. Bear right and take this street. Very shortly after the tree line on this street, you will see our football field and tennis courts. Take a right at the first traffic light onto Old North Road and the school will be right in front of you.

Directions from the West: You guys have the most interesting drive. Now you get to see what we do about ten times a year! Proceed east and go over the Chesapeake Bay Bridge after Annapolis on Route 50/301. After you cross into the Eastern Shore of Maryland, stay on Route 301 and keep left when Route 50 exits to the right. You don’t want to go to Ocean City. Or maybe you do. Well, we want you to come to Delaware instead. Stay on Route 301 until you see signs for Ruthsburg Road, State Route 304, and take a right onto this road. Say goodbye to highways. Continue on this road for about ten miles until you get to an intersection in the little town of Bridgetown, Maryland. Take a left at this intersection onto Oakland Road, State Route 312. Continue on this road for about two miles through really cool thick forests and then you get to a “T” where you should be taking a right this time onto Goldsboro Road, State Route 313. Continue on this road (past a stop sign or two) and you’ll get into Delaware soon. Keep going for another twelve miles and you’ll be in Camden on Willow Grove Road, which then quickly turns into Caesar Rodney Avenue. Continue through the traffic light and take a right when you reach the post office and a “T” which is Old North Road. After taking that right, in less than a mile you will see our school just on your left.

If you are running late, PLEASE call me at 302.359.0148 or Trey Taraila at 302.233.0640 and let us know. Regardless, we may be starting rounds without you if you are not here by 9:00.

Once again, I would request that you e-mail me back when you receive this e-mail, just to confirm its receipt. If you have any questions, do not hesitate to e-mail me at andrewDOTchrzanowskiATcrDOTk12DOTdeDOTus or Trey at rstarailaATgmailDOTcom sometime before Saturday morning.

We’re looking forward to having you and hosting a great quizbowl tournament! Drive carefully and we’ll see you in a couple days.

~Andrew Chrzanowski
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
Rikku

The field is now closed. We are really looking forward to seeing all of the registered teams on Saturday!
Trey Taraila
Caesar Rodney 2010
Auron

Packets, scoresheets, roster forms, invoices, schedules, lunch maps and directions, moderator guides, staff lists, and rules guides are all printed and copied.

Desks are organized in the playing rooms.

Moderators and scorekeepers have had their meeting and seem ready.

I think we're gonna be able to do this! Hopefully everybody makes it safely. Please call me if you have any trouble.

EDIT: Oh, by the way, we're going to two 7-team brackets, including a cross-bracket scrimmage instead of a bye in that. So 6 counted games, then we'll rebracket and have playoffs and consolations.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
Rikku

Trey Taraila
Caesar Rodney 2010
Auron

I think the stats are all done!!

St. Anselm's is your champion, clearing the field by 2 games and pretty much crushing everybody. They did awesome. Great job.

We played one final game between Charter A and St. Joseph's A to determine second and third place and Charter A won by a relatively significant margin, but St. Joe's played quite well. Nice job to both teams.

We played 11 rounds and incredibly ended before 4:30. Possibly only VCU has has this kind of efficiency! I couldn't be much happier with this tournament.

Final standings just to make it clear, for the playoffs:

1, St. Anselm's
2, Charter A
3, St. Joseph's A
4, Kellenberg A (tied with QO, 4th from PPG (and PPB if you care)
5, Quince Orchard (see above)
6, Charter B

This was a pretty great day. Thanks so much to everybody for coming.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
Rikku

First off, let me thank all of the teams that came for attending. Virtually every team that came today had to drive at least an hour to get CR, so we really are really appreciative of everyone's willingness to travel so far to to attend and support our tournament. Being our first tournament, we really didn't know what to expect, but I think I can say with some confidence that the tournament went very well and ran very smoothly, and part of the credit for the tournament's success belongs to Mr. Powers, Bro. Nigel, and Mr. Tressler, who all really helped us out by doing a great job moderating today, so a special thanks goes out to them. With all that being said, I sincerely hope that every enjoyed playing in the Caesar Rodney Rider Bowl as much as we enjoyed hosting it!
Trey Taraila
Caesar Rodney 2010
Nine-Tenths Ideas
Auron

Post by Nine-Tenths Ideas »

This was a great tournament, especially for the first time a team has run one. Not very happy with my performance today but that's a separate issue.

In other news, I'm quitting quizbowl to hunt ghosts.
Isaac Hirsch
University of Maryland '14
Never Gonna Play Again
Rufous-capped Thornbill
Tidus

Post by Rufous-capped Thornbill »

Matt Bollinger: stop it.
Jarret Greene
South Range '10 / Ohio State '13 / Vermont '17
Auron

Here's the wrap-up e-mail i sent to everyone:
Hi everyone,

First of all, thank you so much for attending our tournament at CR. We are so happy with how it was run and almost all of it was due to the hard work of my kids, but some credit can go to you guys too for quickly getting ready to play games, arriving on time, having a reasonable time for lunch, and always playing your best. Everybody deserves congratulations for what was a great day.

The stats have been checked and completed for many hours already. You can view them here: http://results.scobo.net/SQBS.aspx?org= ... =standings

If you see any errors, please let me know and i will fix what i can.

Our final rankings for the playoffs go like this:

1st and champions: St. Anselm's (5-0 against playoff teams, 9-0 overall)
2nd place: Charter A (3-2 against playoff teams, 7-2 overall, defeated St. Joseph's in a final match)
3rd place: St. Joseph's A (3-2 against playoff teams, 7-2 overall, lost to Charter A in a final match)
4th place: Kellenberg A (2-3 against playoff teams, 6-3 overall, 4th by virtue of higher PPG and PPB)
5th place: Quince Orchard (2-3 against playoff teams, 6-3 overall, 5th by virtue of lower PPG and PPB)
6th place: Charter B (0-5 record against playoff teams, 4-5 overall)

You can see all the rest of the stats online for the consolation brackets, but there were many good games in that section as well. I hope teams enjoyed playing meaningful games in the afternoons.

I cannot thank enough Bill Tressler, Ed Powers, and Brother Nigel. All three of them volunteered to moderate and did a wonderful job as they always have in other tournaments. Thank you so much.

I have to thank all my kids from CR as well. This tournament was run so efficiently and all i did was sit there and read packets. They did ALL the hard work. Trey, Seth, Alexa, and Ryan in particular were heroes. And i have literally a dozen other students who helped and did such amazing jobs.

If you have any questions or concerns about the tournament, please let me know. We do plan on running one against next year, probably around this time. I really hope we can see you (and lots of other teams too) again then!

Again, thank you so much for attending. It really was a great day and i hope i can see you all again.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01