Bad Negs

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
steven-lamp
Rikku

Post by steven-lamp »

Cincinatti for Cripus Attucks? I see no explanation for that one...
steven-lamp
Rikku

Post by steven-lamp »

This one's pretty cynical/funny:

Franklin Delano Roosevelt for the author of Where's the Rest of Me? (Reagan's autobiography)

We have a ton of cynical or silly ones from practice, I don't really remember all of them, though. However, the following one is just one of a pattern of many odd "non-listening" negs made by a B team player at practice.

"The Frogs" for the author of Orestes and Medea (it was early in the question)

It's not very good when one buzzes without hearing the first two or three defining words of the tossup which actually indicate WHAT IT IS ASKING FOR.
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by DumbJaques »

Someone on my team buzzed when it began "Oscar Robertson attended a high school" and said Cincinatti (which is, I believe, where he played in college). Apparently, he also attended Crispus Attucks high school.

And a few more:

Smallpox and Solar Eclipse for El Nino
Microscope for Submarine
Zimmerman Telegram for Munich Pact (after the question had said "presented by Mussolini")
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
Golden Tiger 86
Tidus

Post by Golden Tiger 86 »

Yeah, Robertson did play high school at Crispus Attucks High. His team plus Muncie Central were the inspiration for "South Bend Central (where John Wooden began his coaching career, ironically)" in Hoosiers.
Slade Gilmer, 2004 Graduate of THE Russellville High School, 2009 Graduate of THE University of North Alabama
No Sollositing On Premise
Tidus

Post by No Sollositing On Premise »

And South Bend Central's star player, "Malone" (I think) was inspired by Robertson himself.

Way to beat me to it, Slade.
Mike Sollosi, University of Virginia
bigtrain
Rikku

Almost..........

Post by bigtrain »

In an effort to bring us back on topic....today in practice:
Reader: Two upper class, and somewhat twisted kids :buzz:
Me: uhhhhhhhh............Lerner and Loewe

Please do not swear outside of AHAN, or I and a friend will abduct you from a playground, murder you, dissolve your face with sulfuric acid, and dump your corpse in a swamp outside Chicago. We'll get away with it, too.
- Friendly Neighborhood Moderator

Edited twice by BigTrain
Last edited by bigtrain on Tue Oct 12, 2004 8:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Howard
Tidus

Post by Howard »

Reader: "Blah, blah, blah, work by Rousseau, blah, blah"

Player: buzz. To captain: "The Social Contract by Locke."

Captain: To moderator: "The Social Contract by Locke."
John Gilbert
Coach, Howard High School Academic Team
Ellicott City, MD

"John Gilbert is a quiz bowl god" -- leftsaidfred
uberaschung
Lulu
Location: Garrett Park, Maryland :: Walter Johnson High School

Post by uberaschung »

Please do not swear outside of AHAN, or I and a friend will abduct you from a playground, murder you, dissolve your face with sulfuric acid, and dump your corpse in a swamp outside Chicago. We'll get away with it, too.
- Friendly Neighborhood Moderator
please do.......haha

Your Friendly Neighborhood Moderator will come after you too if you continue to incite board drama. Watch yourself. - Admin
steven-lamp
Rikku

Post by steven-lamp »

Hmm, I don't know if these could be considered "bad negs" or just bad questions, but they must be shared. We just went to a small, junior-college tournament that we go to every year as a relaxing "beat everyone easily" tournament, as the field is small and not very competitive. Anyhow, the questions have always been one-liners, but they maintained an academic nature. However, we've won the tournament every year for a very, very long time, so I guess this year they wanted to "broaden the scope" of the questions. They were almost all trash this year, and below are some humorous, albeit sickening, examples.

We had a 4-part bonus on the colors of tractors. (green, yellow, red, and orange)

I answered a toss-up on internet "flaming." (Yes, teufelhunden flaming, not something being on fire.)

"Exactly what percent of the Earth's landmass does South America comprise?" (13%, if anyone's curious).

"In what state is the Sundance Film Festival held annually?" (Utah, IIRC)

This is a sampling, almost all of the questions were like this, in the last 2 rounds (out of 3) we just started laughing at almost every question and somewhat mocking everything. Anyway, I guess maybe I got a taste of what a Chip tournament would be like.
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Out of curiosity, what tournament was this?
steven-lamp
Rikku

Post by steven-lamp »

The SUSCC tournament at Wadley.
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

Ok, my own personal contribution, and what I hope will not be replaced as my worst neg ever:
"Blah blah blah name this type of latin music, which shares its name witha type of hot mexican sauce"
BUZZ
Me: "Tabasco. . . no, wait. . ."
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
Byko
Yuna

Post by Byko »

From a JV tournament at Irmo High School this past weekend here in South Carolina.

".... Give the name of this court, which was called so due to the stars painted on the courtroom's ceiling."

Correct answer: Star Chamber
Incorrcet answer: Night Court

As a moderator, I lost it for a couple minutes there on that one.
NotBhan
Rikku

Post by NotBhan »

steven-lamp wrote:The SUSCC tournament at Wadley.
What's SUSCC stand for? And is Wadley a college or a town? Just curious.
bigtrain
Rikku

Post by bigtrain »

During a freshmen practice, and the category is Virginia:
Reader: Identify the ocatagonal shaped building :buzz:
Freshmen: The Pentagon
Alex Price
Walter Johnson 2006
Emory University 2010
tinismile89
Lulu

Post by tinismile89 »

During a J category:
Question: This American naval hero...:buzz:
Answer: Jones
Moderator:Could you be more specific?
Answer: Um...James Earl?
steven-lamp
Rikku

Post by steven-lamp »

NotBhan wrote:
steven-lamp wrote:The SUSCC tournament at Wadley.
What's SUSCC stand for? And is Wadley a college or a town? Just curious.
SUSCC is Southern Union State Community College (I think). And Wadley is the po-dunk town where it's located.
BobGHHS
Rikku

Another Gem

Post by BobGHHS »

At a practice one time when I was a senior...

"blah blah, identify this novel..."

Me: Billy Budd

Coach: Written by...?

Me: Moby Dick

-that was one of those 'open mouth, insert foot' moments...
Bob Kilner
Kent State '06 - Boise State '10
Former Coach, Garfield Hts (OH) (2001-08)
Former Coach, Eastlake North HS (OH) (2015-22)

"I'd sooner fail than not be among the greatest." - John Keats
steven-lamp
Rikku

Post by steven-lamp »

This isn't really a neg, just a really lucky/great buzz from a tournament we went to today.

"Identify the part of speech of the word "spending" in the follow.."

BUZZ

Jay: Adjective

Kinda crazy, because it could have been an adjective, verb, or noun...anyway, it was kind of funny.
bigtrain
Rikku

Post by bigtrain »

This isn't really a neg, just a really lucky/great buzz from a tournament we went to today.

"Identify the part of speech of the word "spending" in the follow.."

BUZZ

Jay: Adjective

Kinda crazy, because it could have been an adjective, verb, or noun...anyway, it was kind of funny.
I believe that goes under "improbable but correct answers".
Alex Price
Walter Johnson 2006
Emory University 2010
mentalchocolate
Wakka

Post by mentalchocolate »

bigtrain wrote:During a freshmen practice, and the category is Virginia:
That is totally unescusable. The person deserves to be taunted about the question for a long time.
Howard
Tidus

Post by Howard »

mentalchocolate wrote:
bigtrain wrote:During a freshmen practice, and the category is Virginia:
That is totally unescusable. The person deserves to be taunted about the question for a long time.
Can I just taunt you about your spelling instead? :)
John Gilbert
Coach, Howard High School Academic Team
Ellicott City, MD

"John Gilbert is a quiz bowl god" -- leftsaidfred
mentalchocolate
Wakka

Post by mentalchocolate »

No, you can't. You can make fun of the extremely small keyboard on our family laptop. Its quite small and I'm not used to it yet. Plus note what time it was when I posted...no mountain dew in my system either.
vig180
Wakka

Post by vig180 »

Q: In the middle of the night, a destroyer smashed into his ship and cut it in two...
Response: Odysseus

Right...(the answer was JFK)
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Today in practice:

Answer given: Amelia Earhart
Correct Answer: The Space Shuttle Columbia

The question kept talking about all of the missions that "she" flew...

This inspired the student to reply: I hate it when they refer to inanimate objects as "she" or "he!"
dtaylor4
Auron

defense

Post by dtaylor4 »

ImmaculateDeception wrote:From the UIUC Earlybird Tournament yesterday: "'The 'Cross of Gold' Speech' by William Cullen Bryant... er... no... Jennin..."
The circumstances of this neg make it worse, since it was taken after a good buzz on a "'Cross of Gold' speech" tossup which was, as it happened, the final question of a very close (i.e. very probably decided by this tossup) semifinal match. It was a shame to see a match decided like that... but I guess these things happen.

MaS
i am the one that committed the neg. during the whole question they were talking about the speech. i do not know why i felt it necessary to blitz. even if i didn't screw it up, the subsequent bonus was on japanese novels. i could not think of one to save my life so get off my back.
Captain Sinico
Auron

Re: defense

Post by Captain Sinico »

DaGeneral wrote:i am the one that committed the neg. during the whole question they were talking about the speech. i do not know why i felt it necessary to blitz. even if i didn't fuck it up, the subsequent bonus was on japanese novels. i could not think of one to save my life so get off my back.
'Sup; actually, I thought it was a good buzz you made and really hated having to neg you, is all I'm saying.

MaS
Skepticism and Animal Feed
Auron

Post by Skepticism and Animal Feed »

ImmaculateDeception wrote:
DaGeneral wrote:i am the one that committed the neg. during the whole question they were talking about the speech. i do not know why i felt it necessary to blitz. even if i didn't fuck it up, the subsequent bonus was on japanese novels. i could not think of one to save my life so get off my back.
'Sup; actually, I thought it was a good buzz you made and really hated having to neg you, is all I'm saying.

MaS
Speaking of negs on good buzzes at UIUC, I seem to recall being negged at the Illinois Open for saying "Austro-Prussian War" instead of the more obscure name "Seven Week's War", both of which regularly refer to the same conflict.
Bruce
Harvard '10 / UChicago '07 / Roycemore School '04
ACF Member emeritus
My guide to using Wikipedia as a question source
Captain Sinico
Auron

Post by Captain Sinico »

Bruce wrote:...I seem to recall being negged at the Illinois Open for saying "Austro-Prussian War" instead of the more obscure name "Seven Week's War", both of which regularly refer to the same conflict.
Yeah, that's entirely possible; I neglected to add that as an alternative answer to the question, for which oversight I apologize. If it mattered, you could have protested it and would almost certainly have been given your points.
Also, I (and three reference sources) disagree with you about the relative obscurity of the answers, but this is a moot point; you were right.

MaS
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

MaS
i know. a really funny thing happened after the match though. when culver academy found out that we were going to play them for 3rd place, they took off and forfeited. they claimed it was because of homecoming, but i don't believe it. i think it was because of the beatdown we had issued earlier in the day.
solonqb
Rikku

Post by solonqb »

Is this Culver Academy the one from Indiana?
Noah Rahman
Welcome to Simbabwe, where the property is already owned and the houses built and you compete to burn and dispossess them. Compete with Robert Mugabe, Canaan Banana, Cecil Rhodes and Sir Godfrey Huggins to earn a place on the all-time EU travel ban list!
Captain Sinico
Auron

Post by Captain Sinico »

DaGeneral wrote:i know. a really funny thing happened after the match though. when culver academy found out that we were going to play them for 3rd place, they took off and forfeited. they claimed it was because of homecoming, but i don't believe it. i think it was because of the beatdown we had issued earlier in the day.
Meh; actually, their coach had made me aware of their having homecoming and needing to potentially leave early long before the tournament, so I took their having to leave for that reason in good faith. Of course, that they were playing you, I'm sure, didn't help. I hope the ad hoc opposition we arranged went alright.
solonqb wrote:Is this Culver Academy the one from Indiana?
Yes. They played at UIUC Earlybird and did swimmingly, I thought, for a team at its first tournament ever.

MaS
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

DaGeneral wrote:i know. a really funny thing happened after the match though. when culver academy found out that we were going to play them for 3rd place, they took off and forfeited. they claimed it was because of homecoming, but i don't believe it. i think it was because of the beatdown we had issued earlier in the day.
Meh; actually, their coach had made me aware of their having homecoming and needing to potentially leave early long before the tournament, so I took their having to leave for that reason in good faith. Of course, that they were playing you, I'm sure, didn't help. I hope the ad hoc opposition we arranged went alright.

it was pretty fun playing against our coaches. i hope to exact my revenge since i heard that culver is hosting an naqt tournament in early 2005 but it's the same day as masonic regionals, and money is worth more than revenge
wwellington
Wakka

Post by wwellington »

Someone at leagues yesterday gave "Xena" for "Condoleezza Rice."
steven-lamp
Rikku

Post by steven-lamp »

Today at Brookwood, during the prelims when I was playing horribly: *other team negs really early* FTP, name this first novel by Ralph Ellison" *BUZZ* Me: "The Color Purple....*slam buzzer* damnit wrong black person!"
Also, this one was great: *team also negs early* "blah blah blah something about stuff that makes the outside of galaxies spin faster than the insides discovered recently at Cal or something." *BUZZ* Me: Dark Mass, i mean, Dark Matter..." I just dropped my head to the desk after that....ugh.
Byko
Yuna

Post by Byko »

Also from Brookwood, as a moderator:

Correct answer: cosmology
Incorrect answer: cosmetology

Sure, it's understandable, I guess, but....
zwtipp
Rikku

Post by zwtipp »

Judy Dench for Judy Bloom
I do not care much for large yellow Avians.
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

this writer created the imaginary location of til [buzz]

answer by teammate: walt whitman

[myself preventing myself from wringing his neck]

correct answer: edwin arlington robinson (tilbury town)
rchschem
Yuna

Post by rchschem »

(some stuff about the oldest mail server on the internet), followed by the line, "but the constellation..."

<buzz> "Netscape?"

(correct: Pegasus)

I suppose Netscape could have been a constellation; it did have that little comet up in the right hand corner a while back...
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

frosh-soph "B" match (still no excuse)....

blah, blah.....captain of the Bounty

nine seconds of silence....<buzz>

Captain Morgan?

[mumble,mumble, grumble, grumble]
alkrav112
Rikku

bad, bad neg...

Post by alkrav112 »

Moderator: In Act III, the title character considers drowning herself *buzz*
G: HAMLET!
Me: AUGH! (or something to that effect)...

There are so many things wrong with that... the answer turned out to be Aida.
radiantradon
Lulu

Post by radiantradon »

During the GSAC:
"This singer 'wants to be your neighbor'..."
buzz: Mister Rogers
correct answer: Hey Ya!
I consider that a poorly written question--the song definitely goes "I AM your neighbor!"

"This winner of the 1992 some physical body contest..."
buzz: Arnold Schwarzenegger
correct answer: Mr. Potato Head
Now that one was just weird...luckily we got that one right :)
jewtemplar
Wakka

Post by jewtemplar »

I like how that one mentioned the term "spokesspud" in the second sentence.
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

radiantradon wrote:During the GSAC:
"This singer 'wants to be your neighbor'..."
buzz: Mister Rogers
correct answer: Hey Ya!
I consider that a poorly written question--the song definitely goes "I AM your neighbor!"

"This winner of the 1992 some physical body contest..."
buzz: Arnold Schwarzenegger
correct answer: Mr. Potato Head
Now that one was just weird...luckily we got that one right :)
you are right.
MahoningQuizBowler
Rikku

Post by MahoningQuizBowler »

From the first round of league play today in the Youngstown area...
Ohio format team question in American History:

Intro: Given two British rulers, identify the house to which they both belonged.
Team A question: [king's name] and [queen's name]
Answer given after eight seconds: BUCKINGHAM PALACE

I wanted to call the match dead right there...
bigtrain
Rikku

Post by bigtrain »

The beloved freshmen practice:
Reader: Identify the 8 point treaty signed...
buzz: the 14 points

It ended up being the Atlantic Charter.
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

Today on Kevin "the undead" Keegan's Quizmaster Challenge TV show:

Buzz: Sacco and Vanzetti
Answer: King Tut

There was a visual (black and white) which showed to males standing around. The offending player later claimed that the men "looked italian."
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

"Spanky's Gang" for "Legumes"
mlaird
Tidus

Post by mlaird »

This is from when I was a sophomore, and the answer given was by my teams captain.

Question: According to [insert reliable source here], the internet is used most for this purpose, by the average adult.

*buzz*

Answer given: Pornography! (very enthusiastically, I might add.)

*much laughter and blushing*

Real answer: E-mail
mrblinux
Lulu

Post by mrblinux »

My blunder today - Remarque for The Comic Book Guy.
No longer affiliated with Blake It's Ac team :D