Prison Bowl III at Hunter HS (NYC) - 2/27/10

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
lchen
Wakka

Re: Prison Bowl III at Hunter HS (NYC) - 2/27/10

Post by lchen »

Bad Boy Bill wrote: We have at least three buzzer systems should you need them.
We do. Thanks!
Lily Chen
Hunter '12, MIT '16
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Allow me to scramble the brackets some more---isn't this fun---and add another team---our 3rd--- from Saint Joe's.

Also, I am pretty sure we will be able to bring a 2nd buzzer system. I'll let you know by the middle of next week for sure.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
lchen
Wakka

Post by lchen »

St. Joseph's third team and Preston HS's registration bring us up to 23 teams. There is one more spot left in the field. Please register as soon as possible if you would like that spot!

(edit: grammar)
Lily Chen
Hunter '12, MIT '16
johnsona
Lulu

Post by johnsona »

In reference to the format (noting that my team won't be in attendance, but has gone to other northeast events) our team has found just taking the top 2 teams out of a bracket for the top 6 has never worked well for us. We have always been put in a bracket that had 2 definitely dominant teams. We may have been the 3rd best in our bracket, but were better than some of the 2nd place spots in other brackets.

What about having your 3 prelim. brackets of 7 and taking the top 2 plus 2 at large to complete an 8 team Championship bracket? Then fill in with the next 8 and the next 5 as you had mentioned. I know there is no absolute perfect way to do it, otherwise I would write a book that could become a best-seller in the quiz bowl realm.

Happy Bracketing!!
Aaron Johnson
St. Andrew's (Ridgeland, MS)
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Welcome to Preston. Is this the Preston from the Bronx, or one of the many Prestons from out of state?
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
lchen
Wakka

Post by lchen »

johnsona wrote:What about having your 3 prelim. brackets of 7 and taking the top 2 plus 2 at large to complete an 8 team Championship bracket? Then fill in with the next 8 and the next 5 as you had mentioned. I know there is no absolute perfect way to do it, otherwise I would write a book that could become a best-seller in the quiz bowl realm.
That would work if we had more packets. We have 11 packets, and after a 7-round prelim round robin, we'd only have 4 left. I don't think it's possible to play off 8 teams with only 4 packets.

Now that we have 23 teams, though, if we don't hit 24 in the next week or so, we'll just use a hybrid alternate team to fill it out to 24.
Edward Powers wrote:Is this the Preston from the Bronx, or one of the many Prestons from out of state?
It's Preston from the Bronx.
Lily Chen
Hunter '12, MIT '16
Nick
Wakka

Post by Nick »

With 24 teams- the tournament format will be 4 prelim pools of 6 (5 games) followed by 3 playoff pools of 8 where a team plays all the teams in their pool they have not yet played (6 games)? If so, and you only have 11 packets, what will happen if there is a tie for first after these 11 games?
Nick
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

I believe by 11 packets Lily means 11 after you take away packets for finals.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Nick
Wakka

Post by Nick »

ah, that makes sense. I knew there had to be something I was missing.
Nick
lchen
Wakka

Post by lchen »

We're back down to 21 teams.
Lily Chen
Hunter '12, MIT '16
lchen
Wakka

Post by lchen »

Hey everyone,

The tournament is happening this weekend and we'd really like to get up to 24 teams. Can anyone bring an extra team (or register one if you haven't already)? If the cost is prohibitive, contact me ([email protected]) and we can work something out.
Lily Chen
Hunter '12, MIT '16
Howard
Tidus

Post by Howard »

There's a very outside chance we can do this. I was busy with other things last week and didn't remember to push the issue with the team. Two people at today's practice that indicated interest, and I've e-mailed those I haven't yet seen.
John Gilbert
Coach, Howard High School Academic Team
Ellicott City, MD

"John Gilbert is a quiz bowl god" -- leftsaidfred
lchen
Wakka

Post by lchen »

Howard wrote:There's a very outside chance we can do this. I was busy with other things last week and didn't remember to push the issue with the team. Two people at today's practice that indicated interest, and I've e-mailed those I haven't yet seen.
Awesome! Let me know as soon as possible.
Lily Chen
Hunter '12, MIT '16
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Lily,

I will be able to bring a 2nd buzzer system.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
lchen
Wakka

Post by lchen »

Edward Powers wrote:I will be able to bring a 2nd buzzer system.
Thanks!

We have 22 teams now. Hopefully the field will not decrease any further. If you would still like to register, registration is still open!
Lily Chen
Hunter '12, MIT '16
Howard
Tidus

Post by Howard »

lchen wrote:
Howard wrote:There's a very outside chance we can do this. I was busy with other things last week and didn't remember to push the issue with the team. Two people at today's practice that indicated interest, and I've e-mailed those I haven't yet seen.
Sorry if I got your hopes up. We wound up being stuck at two people, and I'm just not ready for 7 hours of driving for a two-person team. I didn't push the issue, but I suspect there would also have been little interest with the two people in question for playing as a team of two.

Hope everything goes well and that you get another two teams.
John Gilbert
Coach, Howard High School Academic Team
Ellicott City, MD

"John Gilbert is a quiz bowl god" -- leftsaidfred
lchen
Wakka

Post by lchen »

Howard wrote:
lchen wrote:
Sorry if I got your hopes up. We wound up being stuck at two people, and I'm just not ready for 7 hours of driving for a two-person team. I didn't push the issue, but I suspect there would also have been little interest with the two people in question for playing as a team of two.

Hope everything goes well and that you get another two teams.
Thanks for letting me know. That's okay. Hopefully you can attend the mirror at VCU!
Lily Chen
Hunter '12, MIT '16
btressler
Tidus

Post by btressler »

We've just been warned that snow is coming our way Friday. :roll:
Bill Tressler,
Dickinson ('97) Carnegie Mellon ('99) Delaware ('06)
Seen moderating at various SE Pennsylvania events.
Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo »

Bad Boy Bill wrote:We've just been warned that snow is coming our way Friday. :roll:
Thursday, more likely. It may be clear by Saturday, but roads to the north will be very very bad.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org
Kouign Amann
Forums Staff: Moderator

Post by Kouign Amann »

Hey, so apparently we need an invoice in advance if the school is going to send us up to this with a check. Could you please send our coach an email at henzel[at]saintanselms[dot]org detailing how much we'll have to pay so that she can send that over to the business office? Also, do we get some kind of travel discount?

Thanks
Aidan Mehigan
St. Anselm's Abbey School '12
Columbia University '16 | University of Oxford '17 | UPenn GSE '19
Auron

I really don't see this tournament (or anything this weekend) happening. :sad:

http://www.accuweather.com/video-on-dem ... nformation
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
The King's Flight to the Scots
Auron

Post by The King's Flight to the Scots »

Carangoides ciliarius wrote:I really don't see this tournament (or anything this weekend) happening. :sad:

http://www.accuweather.com/video-on-dem ... nformation

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

/remembers rule about cursing in high school section

In all serious, this really, really sucks for a bunch of reasons, not the least of which is that we've already bought train tickets and Dorman and LASA, presumably, have already bought plane tickets. Hopefully this storm is just hyped up, but...ugh.
Matt Bollinger
UVA '14, UVA '15
youngster68
Lulu

Post by youngster68 »

I don't want to jinx anything here...but here's the current word.

I just spoke with one of our Vice Principals, and she informs me that in addition to Prison Bowl, there are two other major events taking place in our building on Saturday. She is confident that the building will remain open on Saturday. This is clearly not a storm to be taken lightly, and there is a good chance that we will have a rare second snow-day of the year on Friday, but our official position right now is...<draws imaginary line in imaginary sand>

Prison Bowl III is ON!

That said, travelling to NYC on Friday night is certain to be a bit arduous. We will be here, we certainly hope you will be here, we will do everything we can to help you get here and be comfortable when you get here, and we certainly understand if you cannot make it. But heroic efforts to arrive will be rewarded with some juicy quiz bowl.

Also, we are making a large order of pizzas for our staff on Saturday. Given that leaving the building for lunch will probably be a bit rough, we will be happy to add to our order for you. Pizzas are $12 for a large pie with 8 slices. We'll have some soda on hand as well.

Thanks!
Steve Young
Coach Stephen C Young
Faculty Advisor for Hunter College High School Quiz Bowl
kayli
Auron

Post by kayli »

Holy crap. Hurricane? Snow? Add 160mph winds, and that's worse than anything I've ever seen.
Kay, Chicago.
Auron

That story says that NYC itself will only (heh) get 6-12 inches, so we still have a chance if they clear off the roads by Saturday. Hopefully this doesn't mess with Dorman and LASA's flights--it would be a real shame if this tournament were canceled.
Matt Bollinger
UVA '14, UVA '15
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?zoneid=NYZ072

It seems that snow will be coming down gradually over the next few days, with enough time to clear it in some areas of Manhattan. We'll keep an eye on this, but it's not like Snowmageddon 2.0 or anything.
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF
lchen
Wakka

Post by lchen »

youngster68 wrote: That said, travelling to NYC on Friday night is certain to be a bit arduous. We will be here, we certainly hope you will be here, we will do everything we can to help you get here and be comfortable when you get here, and we certainly understand if you cannot make it. But heroic efforts to arrive will be rewarded with some juicy quiz bowl.
Right. An outright cancellation is unlikely, but it's understandable if some teams are forced to drop out due to the weather. We will make sure this tournament runs with however many teams can get here.
Lily Chen
Hunter '12, MIT '16
Eric Huff
Wakka

Post by Eric Huff »

We're definitely coming, and we look forward to playing whatever teams are able to make it.
Eric Huff

National History Bee (eric AT historybee.com)
ACE Quizbowl Camps (eric AT acequizbowlcamp.com)
Former Head Coach, Dorman High School (2001-2012)

http://www.historybee.com
http://www.acequizbowlcamp.com
Cassian
Lulu

Post by Cassian »

We're coming too unless something funky happens and our flights get canceled outright. We're supposed to get in at noon on Friday, so even with massive delays, we would make it for Saturday morning.
Jason Flowers
Quiz Bowl Coach
The Liberal Arts and Science Academy
Austin, TX
lchen
Wakka

Post by lchen »

State College pulled out due to the weather, so we're back down to 20 teams.
Lily Chen
Hunter '12, MIT '16
btressler
Tidus

Post by btressler »

I'm sorry to say that we're going to stay home as well.

Best of luck to anyone who is able to make it.
Bill Tressler,
Dickinson ('97) Carnegie Mellon ('99) Delaware ('06)
Seen moderating at various SE Pennsylvania events.
Eric Huff
Wakka

Post by Eric Huff »

Sorry to see State College & Charter drop. We made it into the city and look forward to playing whichever teams are able to make it tomorrow.
Eric Huff

National History Bee (eric AT historybee.com)
ACE Quizbowl Camps (eric AT acequizbowlcamp.com)
Former Head Coach, Dorman High School (2001-2012)

http://www.historybee.com
http://www.acequizbowlcamp.com
lchen
Wakka

Post by lchen »

Because there are 18 teams now, the tournament format will be the following:

3 preliminary brackets of 6 teams will play a 5-round round robin. In the playoffs, the championship bracket will consist of the top 2 teams from each prelim bracket, plus the top 2 teams overall that weren't in the top two in their bracket. The rest of the teams will be split into two brackets of 5 teams. The championship bracket will play 6 rounds of (pseudo-)crossover games. The other two brackets will play a 5-round round robin, then get reseeded for the last round of playoffs. ACF-style finals for the championship bracket will follow if necessary.

Does this look okay to everyone?
Lily Chen
Hunter '12, MIT '16
Rountree
Rikku

Post by Rountree »

Why would you put 8 teams in the championship bracket (the top 2 from 3 prelim brackets + the next top 2 teams) and then not have all of them play each other in the playoffs (which would be a 7 game round-robin). It seems like having the championship bracket play 6 games instead of 7, and, thus, not be a true round-robin kinda defeats the purpose of calling it a "championship bracket", but maybe that's just me? Or, perhaps I am misreading what you wrote.

You could just re-bracket after the prelims with the top 6, the next 6, and the final 6, and use your remaining packet(s) to break any ties (if necessary) after the playoff round-robins were over. That still guarantees every team at least 10 games.
Elliott Rountree
Lambert Coach, 2017-present
Buford Coach, 2014-2015
Chattahoochee Coach, 2004-2014
GATA, 2018-present; 2007-2014
ACE, 2000-2013
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Post by Mechanical Beasts »

RountreeCHS wrote:Why would you put 8 teams in the championship bracket (the top 2 from 3 prelim brackets + the next top 2 teams) and then not have all of them play each other in the playoffs (which would be a 7 game round-robin). It seems like having the championship bracket play 6 games instead of 7, and, thus, not be a true round-robin kinda defeats the purpose of calling it a "championship bracket", but maybe that's just me? Or, perhaps I am misreading what you wrote.

You could just re-bracket after the prelims with the top 6, the next 6, and the final 6, and use your remaining packet(s) to break any ties (if necessary) after the playoff round-robins were over. That still guarantees every team at least 10 games.
I think the intention is to keep as many teams in championship contention as possible? The crossover doesn't make it any less a championship bracket (or any less a round robin); it just means that the game from the prelims against the other team to make it to the championship bracket from your bracket actually counted.

Also, your method would require seven plus five packets, plus two for finals and one for tiebreakers. Do they have that many?
Andrew Watkins
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

Despite the weather, I tried as hard as I possibly could to get us to this, and made sure to line up our travel plans for this evening, but late today I received word from school administrators that we will not be allowed to travel to this tournament. As such, we must - very regrettably - withdraw our teams.

Apologies for having to let you know on such late notice.
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

RountreeCHS wrote:Why would you put 8 teams in the championship bracket (the top 2 from 3 prelim brackets + the next top 2 teams) and then not have all of them play each other in the playoffs (which would be a 7 game round-robin)
Packet constraints.

Code: Select all

A1,B2	C1,B3	B1,A2	C2,A3
A2,B3	B1,A3	C1,B2	A1,C2
A1,B3	B1,C2	C1,A3	A2,B2
B1,C1	B2,A3	C2,B3	
C1,A2	B2,C2	A1,B1	
A2,C2	A1,C1	A3,B3	
Where A and B are the brackets whose third-place teams are wild cards; records against every team coming from your prelim bracket carry over but you don't play them again in the playoffs. Every team gets 10 or 11 matches plus finals. If they had one more packet they could do what you suggest (seven-game round robin, throw out prelim records), but they don't and I don't think they're going to try to write one last-minute.

Things get hairier if the prelim brackets are so imbalanced that both wild cards come from the same bracket.

Seventeen you can do like this, just chop one game off one prelim bracket. Sixteen becomes really easy - two brackets of eight and then top 4 - bottom 4 crossover matches gives you 11 rounds for each team plus finals; fifteen you do the same way except some teams are only guaranteed 10 matches; fourteen same way except bottom bracket teams are now guaranteed only 9 matches in 10 rounds. Hopefully last minute drops and no-shows don't bring the field lower than that.
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org
UC Irvine 2008-2013; UCLA 2004-2007; Capistrano Valley High School 2000-2003

"It's a competition, but it's not a sport. On a scale, if football is a 10, then rowing would be a two. One would be Quiz Bowl." --Matt Birk on rowing, SI On Campus, 10/21/03

"If you were my teammate, I would have tossed your ass out the door so fast you'd be emitting Cerenkov radiation, but I'm not classy like Dwight." --Jerry
lchen
Wakka

Post by lchen »

Thanks, Dwight! That was exactly the intention. Sorry, I should have clarified. We have 11 packets, plus 2 for finals and 1 for tiebreakers. But now that we're down to 16 we'll probably do this
cvdwightw wrote:Sixteen becomes really easy - two brackets of eight and then top 4 - bottom 4 crossover matches gives you 11 rounds for each team plus finals
Lily Chen
Hunter '12, MIT '16
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Lily,

We know you will figure out the bracketing issues and run an excellent tournament.

In the meantime, welcome to our friends from Dorman---glad you could make it safely. Hopefully all the remaining teams will do likewise and we will have a rousing competition tomorrow. And to our friends who could not make it---we know you wish you could be here, but we are sure you will be with us in spirit---and maybe we will see some or all of you at nationals, if not sooner.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
Auron

Hey,
We're here in New York, so we'll definitely be there tomorrow. I'm a little disappointed that teams have had to drop, but I'm still excited to play teams that we wouldn't ordinarily play until Nationals. Should be awesome.
Matt Bollinger
UVA '14, UVA '15
Cassian
Lulu

Post by Cassian »

We're in the city too. I'm standing in the lobby of MoMA waiting for the guys right now, and I think we saw Dorman earlier. We had a little weather delay but nothing major. We'll see everyone tomorrow.
Jason Flowers
Quiz Bowl Coach
Austin, TX
lchen
Wakka

Post by lchen »

Well, Stuyvesant's just pulled out, so we're down to 13 teams now. Anyone have alternates to bring for a hybrid scab team? If we get down to 12 or 11 teams, we may just do a 11-round round robin, tiebreakers, then take the top two teams for finals. I'm really sorry it had to come to this. Rescheduling the tournament was not an option; we had to book the rooms in August.

Thank you so much to everyone who's still coming! See you tomorrow!
Lily Chen
Hunter '12, MIT '16
Cassian
Lulu

Post by Cassian »

Lily and everyone -

We did bring a fifth player, and Aaron is willing to play on a scab team if there are others available to play with him. We can sort it out in the morning, but I wanted to put it out there for the consideration of those attending.
Jason Flowers
Quiz Bowl Coach
Austin, TX
lchen
Wakka

Post by lchen »

The tournament started on time and we're finishing up round 2 now. Stats can be found here: http://www.taftqb.com/t/prison2010/teams/standings/

Edit: Those stats are incomplete. The correct stats have been linked further downthread.
Last edited by lchen on Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lily Chen
Hunter '12, MIT '16
lchen
Wakka

Post by lchen »

After 5 rounds, Dorman and LASA are undefeated (tied with a 4-0 record and 501.25 PPG). Top scorers: Matt Bollinger (St. Anselm's), Aaron from LASA (Hybrid team), Aaron Knowlson (St. Joseph A), Amber Lamps (Bergen A), Jason Golfinos (Trinity).
Lily Chen
Hunter '12, MIT '16
Auron

stats wrote:LASA 5 0 0 1.00 500.00 172.00 328.00 67 10 100 25.00 500.00 67 1880 28.06
Wow.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
Sir Thopas
Auron

Post by Sir Thopas »

Preston (location: the Bronx) pulled out at the beginning of the 100-minute (!) lunch break. Eric Douglass: continues to be empirically true.
Guy Tabachnick
Hunter '09
Brown '13

http://memoryofthisimpertinence.blogspot.com/
lchen
Wakka

Post by lchen »

Hey, for anyone who's following along at home: we've run into a problem with the stats program, so part of the playoff stats are being done on paper. The "Team Standings" on Taft don't exactly match the actual playoff team standings. Hopefully once the tournament is over we'll be able to sort things out.
Lily Chen
Hunter '12, MIT '16
etchdulac
Rikku

Post by etchdulac »

Thanks for the update; was wondering about the placement of St. Joseph C. Will the scoreboard page continue to update?
Stephen Fontenot
Texas Quiz Bowl Alliance Deputy Director
Communications, UT Dallas
Strake Jesuit '96 -+-+- Southwestern '00
Sir Thopas
Auron

Post by Sir Thopas »

lchen wrote:a problem with the stats program
An inherent problem with taft, that is; not a malfunction. Finish your programs, Evan Silberman.
Guy Tabachnick
Hunter '09
Brown '13

http://memoryofthisimpertinence.blogspot.com/