Where Are You Going Next Year

Old college threads.
Mike Bentley
Sin

Where Are You Going Next Year

Post by Mike Bentley »

It's getting time for another thread of where you plan on playing quizbowl next year.

To start things off, I plan on hanging out in Seattle for the indefinite future. It's probable I'll be taking another class at Bellevue College in the fall and maintaining my kind-of quizbowl eligibility there.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
Auroni
Auron

Re: Where Are You Going Next Year

Post by Auroni »

UCSD for two more years, then probably somewhere out of state after that.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
The King's Flight to the Scots
Auron

Post by The King's Flight to the Scots »

Not sure if I should post here, but if I get accepted, I plan on going to UVA for the next four years.
Matt Bollinger
UVA '14, UVA '15
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Still at Minnesota, unless by some miracle I get hired at the community colleges I applied to for teaching jobs.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Skepticism and Animal Feed
Auron

Post by Skepticism and Animal Feed »

Away.

I'm graduating from Harvard and not planning to get another degree. However, decent Earth Science players never die, they just ablate. I'm sure I'll stick around for at least a short time to write/edit stuff and play masters events.
Bruce
Harvard '10 / UChicago '07 / Roycemore School '04
ACF Member emeritus
My guide to using Wikipedia as a question source
naturalistic phallacy
Auron

Post by naturalistic phallacy »

Whig's Boson wrote:Away.

I'm graduating from Harvard and not planning to get another degree. However, decent Earth Science players never die, they just ablate. I'm sure I'll stick around for at least a short time to write/edit stuff and play masters events.
Will you be practicing law?
Bernadette Spencer
University of Minnesota, MCTC
Member, NAQT
Member, ACF
Member Emeritus, PACE
Auron

tetragrammatology wrote: Will you be practicing law?
Yes, starting in September if I pass the bar exam in July 2010. If not things get trickier.
Bruce
ACF Member emeritus
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

I'mma be I'mma be I'mma be-be-be at UMN for another semester or so, finally graduating.
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
Jeremy Gibbs-Marangoni Effect
Lulu

Post by Jeremy Gibbs-Marangoni Effect »

I'm graduating from Missouri State and don't plan on getting another degree.
Jason Loy
Missouri State '10
Harding '04-'08
Edward Elric
Tidus

Post by Edward Elric »

I have another year at College of DuPage (sadly) then hopefully transfering to UIUC for an accounting degree.
Mike Perovanovic
University of Ill.-Chicago '13
Wheaton North '09
Dennis
Lulu

Post by Dennis »

I'll be working in New York after graduating in May, so no school for me in the near future.
Dennis Jang
Brown Quiz Bowl
Mettius Fufetius
Wakka

Post by Mettius Fufetius »

I'll be taking a year off from school after graduation (hopefully to work), then most likely applying to Southeastern law schools for 2011. Depending on my financial situation, I may or may not get to some open tournaments next year.
Quinn James
Furman University '10
sds
Wakka

Post by sds »

Staying at Michigan for another 4 years to do that whole med school thing. Pretty sure I'll be playing quiz bowl for at least the next two years.
Surya
Michigan '10 & '14
The Ununtiable Twine
Auron

Post by The Ununtiable Twine »

I'll be at Alabama for the next five or so years.
Jake Sundberg
Louisiana, Alabama
retired
Theory Of The Leisure Flask
Yuna

Post by Theory Of The Leisure Flask »

I'm (hopefully!) graduating this year with a Masters in City Planning and will be (hopefully!) working somewhere in the Northeast. I can't rule out the possibility of taking another class or two somewhere down the road, but chances are my degree-earning days are done after this year.

I'll play as many tournaments as I can this summer, then likely a) retire or b) hang around moderating/playing opens for one more year, then retire.
Last edited by Theory Of The Leisure Flask on Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris White
Bloomfield HS (New Jersey) '01, Swarthmore College '05, University of Pennsylvania '10. Still writes questions occasionally.
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

Springfield Grade Road wrote:I have another year at College of DuPage (sadly) then hopefully transfering to UIUC for an accounting degree.
Great, another accounting student here.

I'm finishing my MAS, and will be sitting for the CPA, starting in either April or May, depending on when I can get a spot. So far, the job market has not been forthcoming.
The Goffman Prophecies
Quizbowl Detective Extraordinaire

Post by The Goffman Prophecies »

I'm heading to Virginia Tech this fall to finish my undergrad work in Geography. After that, grad school to study meteorology at some as-yet-unknown location.
Dan Goff
HSQB sysadmin

Virginia Tech '13
South Carolina '15
and a couple other places
Not Thomas Dale HS

STAAATS
MicroEStudent
Rikku

Post by MicroEStudent »

I'll be doing the research part of my MS at RIT next year and kind of looking at some universities (some with quizbowl, some without) in the Northeast for a PhD. Either that, or I sort of have a job waiting for me at a place I did a co-op, but its current prospects aren't very good.
Nathaniel Kane
RIT '09, '11 (BS Microelectronic Engineering, MS Microelectronic Engineering)
Papa's in the House
Tidus

Post by Papa's in the House »

dtaylor4 wrote:
Springfield Grade Road wrote:I have another year at College of DuPage (sadly) then hopefully transfering to UIUC for an accounting degree.
Great, another accounting student here.

I'm finishing my MAS, and will be sitting for the CPA, starting in either April or May, depending on when I can get a spot. So far, the job market has not been forthcoming.
Feel free to ask us questions when you come to MCMNT (maybe we'll start seeing more good business questions as more people go into it : D).

That being said, I'm at UIUC for (at least) another two years.
Charles Martin Jr.
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
Academic Buzzer Team | President
B.S. in Accountancy, August 2011
B.S. in Finance, August 2011
MAS Program, Class of 2012
49-Mile Scenic Drive
Rikku

Post by 49-Mile Scenic Drive »

Originally I had planned to transfer to UAB/UA-Tuscaloosa this year but due to the price differential between the 4-years and Snead I'm doing the cheap thing and finishing up some Chem and Physics at Snead. After Snead I plan on going to UofAlabama or UAB with a very unlikely possibility of UAH, then somewhere for med school (hopefully UAB) My quizbowl career should continue for a few more years assuming I read NAQT's eligibility rules correctly (meaning that if UAB/UAH is where I go I can still play with the Main UA campus since UAB nor UAH has an active team as far as I know)
Mark Morris
University of Alabama-Huntsville '13
Auburn Pharmacy '19
Sima Guang Hater
Auron

Post by Sima Guang Hater »

I'll still be at Penn, but I start clinical rotations ("slave labor") second semester next year. Unless my off weeks correspond to major tournaments and/or the team is carried by some other people (Jerry?/Andrew?/Mehdi?/Random high schoolers?) I'll be pretty much retired to opens. I might start playing during the PhD phase again (as the canon passes me by), but I'll probably stick to opens at that point too.
Eric Mukherjee, MD PhD
Brown 2009, Penn Med 2018
Instructor/Attending Physician/Postdoctoral Fellow, Vanderbilt University Medical Center
Coach, University School of Nashville

“The next generation will always surpass the previous one. It’s one of the never-ending cycles in life.”
Support the Stevens-Johnson Syndrome Foundation
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

49-Mile Scenic Drive wrote:My quizbowl career should continue for a few more years assuming I read NAQT's eligibility rules correctly (meaning that if UAB/UAH is where I go I can still play with the Main UA campus since UAB nor UAH has an active team as far as I know)
Hey, I actually have a really important set of questions about the eligibility rules.

There is a distinct possibility (meaning that unless we miraculously have a giant and successful recruiting effort it will happen) that the 2010 fall quarter Irvine club practices will consist of me, an undergraduate that may or may not show any interest in keeping the club running, and the slim possibility of another undergrad and/or the return to quasi-regular practice of the perpetually semi-retired Brendan Shapiro or noted non-student Willie Chen. We might be able to get the club up and running again once another player returns from Study Abroad in the spring. To me a club of essentially 2 people is not an "active" program, especially considering that for any packet-submission tournament Irvine would attend in the fall, I would probably end up having to write the entire packet (this question-writing load would thus limit the number of tournaments an "Irvine" club attends).

1. Neither the NAQT nor ACF eligibility rules state their definition of an "active" program. How do NAQT and ACF define "active" programs? For instance, if I were the only Irvine-affiliated student to actually attend tournaments next fall, would that count toward Irvine being an "active" program?
1A. How long must a school go without playing "real" tournaments for the club to be officially "inactive"/"deactivated"?
2. According to the ACF Rules and possibly the NAQT rules, if the Irvine club is judged "inactive," I would then be eligible to play with any other UC campus's active team, which at present includes Berkeley, LA, and San Diego. Obviously my choosing to play with any of those teams could be considered "gaining a competitive advantage" (for either myself or the team with which I choose to play, or both). This would be an especially tricky issue if I decided to join likely top-10 team UCSD and the Irvine club remained on hiatus through Nationals. Would NAQT or ACF mandate which UC campus I play for if Irvine is judged "inactive"? If not, what criteria would NAQT/ACF recommend I take into account when deciding what campus to play for until the Irvine team re-activates?
2A. If I were to play an event solo, would I have to play it as an inactive "Irvine" team or would I have to play it as whatever school I affiliate with?
2B. This year's CC eligibility fiasco has made it clear that NAQT does not take into account non-NAQT tournaments in deciding whether a player must play for a campus with an "active program" (since WUSTL has an active program and noted person who has attended tournaments on WUSTL teams Charles Hang will play on SCT questions as a member of a non-WUSTL team). Is this rule changed? If not, is there some wacky loophole in this rule behind which I could appear as "Irvine" at non-NAQT tournaments and join forces with another UC school at SCT/ICT? Even wackier, as the likely only member of a UCI D1 team, could I somehow de-affiliate from whatever scraps of D2 players we have left and join some other UC school's D1 team? [NB: I don't expect either of these wacky things to actually happen, in which case I would probably sign up to write multitudes of usually-good and occasionally-terrible SCT/ICT questions; I suppose this would probably influence NAQT towards closing whatever loopholes there are in their multi-campus eligibilty rules]
3. If the Irvine club (or any other club for that matter) is judged "inactive," how would we "re-activate" the club if we end up having enough people to actually send teams to things again? Is just sending a team to a "real" tournament sufficient to reactivate?

Essentially I am worried that this fall (and possibly for longer) I will have the dual options of (1) playing everything essentially solo or (2) joining another campus's program and being accused of various acts of bad faith (trophy whoring/joining to gain a competitive advantage, intentionally delaying the reactivation of the club so as to compete with a better Nationals team, etc.) regardless of whether or not I intentionally did those things.
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org
UC Irvine 2008-2013; UCLA 2004-2007; Capistrano Valley High School 2000-2003

"It's a competition, but it's not a sport. On a scale, if football is a 10, then rowing would be a two. One would be Quiz Bowl." --Matt Birk on rowing, SI On Campus, 10/21/03

"If you were my teammate, I would have tossed your ass out the door so fast you'd be emitting Cerenkov radiation, but I'm not classy like Dwight." --Jerry
Not That Kind of Christian!!
Yuna

Post by Not That Kind of Christian!! »

The Quest for the Historical Mukherjesus wrote:I'll still be at Penn, but I start clinical rotations ("slave labor") second semester next year.
Is this early? Most of the med schools I'm considering start first semester third year or over the summer between second and third year.
Hannah Kirsch
Brandeis University 2010
NYU School of Medicine 2014

"Wow, those Scandinavians completely thorbjorned my hard-earned political capital."
Lapego1
Tidus

Post by Lapego1 »

Not That Kind of Christian!! wrote:
The Quest for the Historical Mukherjesus wrote:I'll still be at Penn, but I start clinical rotations ("slave labor") second semester next year.
Is this early? Most of the med schools I'm considering start first semester third year or over the summer between second and third year.
Yeah, Penn crams the first 2 years' curriculum into 1.5.
Mehdi Razvi
Maggie Walker Gov. School '07
University of Pennsylvania '11

"A goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid."
-James D. Watson (1928-)
Mettius Fufetius
Wakka

Post by Mettius Fufetius »

cvdwightw wrote:
49-Mile Scenic Drive wrote:My quizbowl career should continue for a few more years assuming I read NAQT's eligibility rules correctly (meaning that if UAB/UAH is where I go I can still play with the Main UA campus since UAB nor UAH has an active team as far as I know)
Hey, I actually have a really important set of questions about the eligibility rules.

There is a distinct possibility (meaning that unless we miraculously have a giant and successful recruiting effort it will happen) that the 2010 fall quarter Irvine club practices will consist of me, an undergraduate that may or may not show any interest in keeping the club running, and the slim possibility of another undergrad and/or the return to quasi-regular practice of the perpetually semi-retired Brendan Shapiro or noted non-student Willie Chen. We might be able to get the club up and running again once another player returns from Study Abroad in the spring. To me a club of essentially 2 people is not an "active" program, especially considering that for any packet-submission tournament Irvine would attend in the fall, I would probably end up having to write the entire packet (this question-writing load would thus limit the number of tournaments an "Irvine" club attends).

1. Neither the NAQT nor ACF eligibility rules state their definition of an "active" program. How do NAQT and ACF define "active" programs? For instance, if I were the only Irvine-affiliated student to actually attend tournaments next fall, would that count toward Irvine being an "active" program?
1A. How long must a school go without playing "real" tournaments for the club to be officially "inactive"/"deactivated"?
2. According to the ACF Rules and possibly the NAQT rules, if the Irvine club is judged "inactive," I would then be eligible to play with any other UC campus's active team, which at present includes Berkeley, LA, and San Diego. Obviously my choosing to play with any of those teams could be considered "gaining a competitive advantage" (for either myself or the team with which I choose to play, or both). This would be an especially tricky issue if I decided to join likely top-10 team UCSD and the Irvine club remained on hiatus through Nationals. Would NAQT or ACF mandate which UC campus I play for if Irvine is judged "inactive"? If not, what criteria would NAQT/ACF recommend I take into account when deciding what campus to play for until the Irvine team re-activates?
2A. If I were to play an event solo, would I have to play it as an inactive "Irvine" team or would I have to play it as whatever school I affiliate with?
2B. This year's CC eligibility fiasco has made it clear that NAQT does not take into account non-NAQT tournaments in deciding whether a player must play for a campus with an "active program" (since WUSTL has an active program and noted person who has attended tournaments on WUSTL teams Charles Hang will play on SCT questions as a member of a non-WUSTL team). Is this rule changed? If not, is there some wacky loophole in this rule behind which I could appear as "Irvine" at non-NAQT tournaments and join forces with another UC school at SCT/ICT? Even wackier, as the likely only member of a UCI D1 team, could I somehow de-affiliate from whatever scraps of D2 players we have left and join some other UC school's D1 team? [NB: I don't expect either of these wacky things to actually happen, in which case I would probably sign up to write multitudes of usually-good and occasionally-terrible SCT/ICT questions; I suppose this would probably influence NAQT towards closing whatever loopholes there are in their multi-campus eligibilty rules]
3. If the Irvine club (or any other club for that matter) is judged "inactive," how would we "re-activate" the club if we end up having enough people to actually send teams to things again? Is just sending a team to a "real" tournament sufficient to reactivate?

Essentially I am worried that this fall (and possibly for longer) I will have the dual options of (1) playing everything essentially solo or (2) joining another campus's program and being accused of various acts of bad faith (trophy whoring/joining to gain a competitive advantage, intentionally delaying the reactivation of the club so as to compete with a better Nationals team, etc.) regardless of whether or not I intentionally did those things.
It really doesn't seem fair to me that a school with around 27,000 students would be allowed to invoke the branch campus rule because it can only field two players. Maybe I'm just biased because I attend a 3,000-student school whose quizbowl program consisted of at most two players between November 2007 and December 2009 -- and there wasn't a program during the 2008-09 school year because my previous teammate had graduated, I couldn't recruit anyone and I didn't have transportation. Of course, Chris Chiego accused me of organizational failure during that hiatus. I guess, though, my true failure was not trying to convince USC to buy Furman and turn it into USC-Greenville.

I know there have been other individuals and programs in similar situations, all across the country. (For instance, Lawrence is half Furman's size, and Brandeis isn't very much larger.) I really have never understood why students at branch campuses ought to get special treatment over those at other schools struggling to try to recruit a team, especially if their campus has the kind of enormous student body to recruit from that many of us can only dream of.
Quinn James
Furman University '10
suds1000
Wakka

Post by suds1000 »

sds wrote:Staying at Michigan for another 4 years to do that whole med school thing. Pretty sure I'll be playing quiz bowl for at least the next two years.
Props to you, if you can manage to find the time. I tried, but it's tough.
Sudheer
Resident Old Dude
Faculty, Emory University (no QB affiliation)

Active Years:
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (2001 - 2006)
Detroit Country Day School (1998-2001)
goblue16
Lulu

Post by goblue16 »

Graduating this year and I might play at whatever law school I attend in the fall.
Scot Putzig
Michigan 2010
Notre Dame Law 2013
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

Also not sure if I should post here, but Matt Bollinger did it first.

I've been accepted to and plan on attending Yale next year, and plan to keep playing quizbowl there.
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF
philmsu
Lulu

Post by philmsu »

Jeremy Gibbs-Marangoni Effect wrote:I'm graduating from Missouri State and don't plan on getting another degree.
This. Definitely got to say I've had a great time playing quizbowl, though.
Phillip George
Missouri State University '10
Gautam
Auron

Post by Gautam »

going into HIBERNATION.
Gautam - ACF
Currently tending to the 'quizbowl hobo' persuasion.
ScoBo
Rikku

Post by ScoBo »

I'll still be working in the Kansas City area and moderating at several tournaments throughout Missouri next year.
Jeffrey Hill • Missouri Quizbowl Alliance president • UMR/Missouri S&T 2009 • Liberty (MO) 2005
Post your tournaments, SQBS reports, and question sets to the Quizbowl Resource Center Database!
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

gkandlikar wrote:going into HIBERNATION.
neveeeeeeeeeer
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
canaanbananarama
Wakka

Post by canaanbananarama »

Dwight,

While this is off-topic...it's a very weird subject which would have to be answered by NAQT or ACF. One problem that you would face in any attempt to do this is the long history of the UC-Irvine club. Now, I know this history and I know it's been ruled by utterly dysfunctional people in turn which has probably destroyed retention over the years. Its "existence" has been perpetuated by these devoted players (Willie, and now you) who have absolutely no clue when it comes to recruitment and retention. People like Ray and Brendan, who I'd think do a better job at retention are less devoted, and subsequently, your group is less. This isn't all your fault. Especially in large Western states (California, Texas), there are certain universities to which undergrads more likely to play quizbowl are drawn. Berkeley (what the hell has happened to that club, whoever is running it, shame on you) and UCLA will more naturally have players dedicated to playing. With the development of the San Diego circuit, UCSD has received local players who are devoted and have revived a once CBI-only institution. In Texas, most anybody who'd play quizbowl would pick Austin over Dallas, Arlington, Edinburg, El Paso, etc., unless geographic reasons prevented them from doing so. And to wit, I think I've only ever heard of UT-Dallas showing up to tournaments. The less desirable UC's are in similar positions; being academically less regarded than the big ones, they've never been able to sustain a team outside of CBI. And then there are the Cal States...and I only remember Fresno State (a large university) showing up to anything ever, outside of CBI. NAQT and ACF could do something like put an enrollment cap on this rule, which would naturally rule you out. I honestly doubt anyone would let you play for another UC (the natural choice would be Berkeley, since it's the flagship campus) and attend ICT and ACF Nationals. For other tournaments, I reckon you could probably resume your career at UCLA; it's the West Coast, honestly, given the circumstances, who cares? It's an unfortunate situation to be at a school where interest isn't natural, and where you don't personally possess the resources to sustain a team (let it be said, I love Dwight as a person, but many of us are not capable recruiters and are better in other aspects of club management), but as the French goes, "say lovey." You can't really call on West Coast high schoolers to reject Harvard et al. to stay local to keep the West Coast circuit vibrant. I reckon if you really need teammates, you could probably get enough of those lovably insane Korean Christians on your campus to join you on a crusade to Christianize the Matt Weiner. Other than that, not much to say.
C. Meigs
CA
Jesus vs. Dragons
Tidus

Post by Jesus vs. Dragons »

Hopefully I will be attending the UF in the fall, but this is a shaky possibility. If I do not get accepted, I will transfer to another CC (most likely Santa Fe) to finish my AA. I believe Santa Fe has a QB team, so my career may continue. After looking at NAQT's website and realizing they did not even attend the CC SCT, I may be playing solo at a few tournaments...
Ethan Hewett
UF 2013
Chipola College 2010
Sneads High School 2009
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

I'm still at UCLA next year, but may be graduating a quarter early in my senior year (2012). Also, there is a good chance I will be spending my summer in Greensboro, NC at UNCG. Anyone from around there care to tell me what there is to do in the area, or if they have a team that might practice over the summer, or if a local HS practices over the summer that I could crash their practice?
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
Red-necked Phalarope
Rikku

Post by Red-necked Phalarope »

Freidank wrote:I'm still at UCLA next year, but may be graduating a quarter early in my senior year (2012). Also, there is a good chance I will be spending my summer in Greensboro, NC at UNCG. Anyone from around there care to tell me what there is to do in the area, or if they have a team that might practice over the summer, or if a local HS practices over the summer that I could crash their practice?
The only collegiate teams in the near area are Wake Forest and UNC, both about 40 minutes to an hour away in either direction, but I doubt either of them are having summer practice (especially UNC). Guilford County has a fairly strong HS circuit, though; Paul Smith of The Early College at Guilford is probably your best bet (he'd know more about what's going on right now than me, anyway), but Greensboro Day or Grimsley might be doing stuff as well.

As far as stuff to do in the summer in Greensboro... good luck. I'm more familiar with Winston-Salem, but the Grasshoppers opened their new baseball stadium downtown just recently, the Greensboro Coliseum (near UNCG) gets big-name acts every now and then, and I'm sure the local arts centers, etc. will have stuff going on. (Apparently Greensboro has an opera company, which I never knew but there you go.) There's also the historical site for the Battle of Guilford Courthouse, which may come in handy the next time you need to 30 that ACF Regionals Revolutionary War bonus. :grin:

I know plenty of people from the Greensboro area, so if there's anything particular you're interested in, let me know and I can ask around. Raleigh and Charlotte, which are both about an hour and a half away, will probably have plenty going on if you want to make a day trip.

If you don't mind my asking, what are you going to be doing at UNCG? Music education?

[Oh, and I'll be in Columbus for the foreseeable future.]
Brice Russ
East Forsyth '04
UNC '08
Ohio State '13
Quantum Mushroom Billiard Hat
Rikku

Post by Quantum Mushroom Billiard Hat »

I'm supposed to be graduating in December, and don't know what I'll be doing after that. Going somewhere for a PhD and going straight into industry both have reasonable probabilities. I'll decide between the two based on what I think of my internship this summer.

If I'm reading the rules right, I would still technically be undergrad eligible for next years ACF Nats despite being graduated and no longer enrolled at Michigan. Is that actually correct?
Michael Hausinger
Coach, Bay City Western High School
formerly of University of Michigan and East Lansing High School
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Yes.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

Atlee Hammaker wrote:
Freidank wrote:I'm still at UCLA next year, but may be graduating a quarter early in my senior year (2012). Also, there is a good chance I will be spending my summer in Greensboro, NC at UNCG. Anyone from around there care to tell me what there is to do in the area, or if they have a team that might practice over the summer, or if a local HS practices over the summer that I could crash their practice?
The only collegiate teams in the near area are Wake Forest and UNC, both about 40 minutes to an hour away in either direction, but I doubt either of them are having summer practice (especially UNC). Guilford County has a fairly strong HS circuit, though; Paul Smith of The Early College at Guilford is probably your best bet (he'd know more about what's going on right now than me, anyway), but Greensboro Day or Grimsley might be doing stuff as well.

As far as stuff to do in the summer in Greensboro... good luck. I'm more familiar with Winston-Salem, but the Grasshoppers opened their new baseball stadium downtown just recently, the Greensboro Coliseum (near UNCG) gets big-name acts every now and then, and I'm sure the local arts centers, etc. will have stuff going on. (Apparently Greensboro has an opera company, which I never knew but there you go.) There's also the historical site for the Battle of Guilford Courthouse, which may come in handy the next time you need to 30 that ACF Regionals Revolutionary War bonus. :grin:

I know plenty of people from the Greensboro area, so if there's anything particular you're interested in, let me know and I can ask around. Raleigh and Charlotte, which are both about an hour and a half away, will probably have plenty going on if you want to make a day trip.

If you don't mind my asking, what are you going to be doing at UNCG? Music education?

[Oh, and I'll be in Columbus for the foreseeable future.]

If I'm accepted, I'm about 95% certain I'm going to attend the REU about algorithmic combinatorics and partial words there.
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
Demonic Leftovers
Wakka

Post by Demonic Leftovers »

I'll be attending Virginia Law either this fall or in the fall of 2012. I intend to play some quiz bowl while studying there.
TWO TIME NATIONAL CHAMPION David A. Seal, Esq.
QUINTUPLE CROWN WINNER: ICT/ICT/NHB/NHB/CULT
Coach of 2014 and 2015 ICT Champion UVA
University of Chicago '10
University of Virginia School of Law '13
Not Every Team Can Afford Me
Coattail Rider
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Post by Frater Taciturnus »

dseal wrote:I'll be attending Virginia Law either this fall or in the fall of 2012. I intend to play some quiz bowl while studying there.
Somewhere in Charlottesville, Will Butler is doing cartwheels.
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
J. Sargeant Reynolds CC 2008, 2009, 2014
Virginia Commonwealth 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,
Douglas Freeman 2005, 2006, 2007
sabine01
Tidus

Post by sabine01 »

Graduating from Maryland with a Masters of Library Science in May. No immediate plans to pursue another degree, but you may see me staffing around the area more...well... if I don't get too caught up in wedding planning and applying for professional positions.
Tricia Southard Greenstein, MLS
Furman '01 | GWU Staff | Maryland '10

I don't care whose fault this was, just get it sorted! And could someone please bring me something deep fat fried and smothered in chocolate?! ~ Fairy Godmother, "Shrek 2"
stevebahnaman
Wakka

Post by stevebahnaman »

sabine01 wrote:Graduating from Maryland with a Masters of Library Science in May. No immediate plans to pursue another degree, but you may see me staffing around the area more...well... if I don't get too caught up in wedding planning and applying for professional positions.
I think you mean "Professional" "Positions."

Woot librarians.
Steve Bahnaman, Campbell University
Commissioner, Online Quiz League USA (quizcentral.net)
NC Wesleyan College, Librarian and Quiz Bowl Advisor/Coach 2009-2011
Emory Academic Team, 1999-2004
Pretty trashy
wd4gdz
Tidus

Post by wd4gdz »

Next year @ Bama: Jonathan Thompson + Jake Sundberg = the best graduate tandem EVER!
Billy Beyer, formerly of FSU
The Ununtiable Twine
Auron

Post by The Ununtiable Twine »

wd4gdz wrote:Next year @ Bama: Jonathan Thompson + Jake Sundberg = the best graduate tandem EVER!
QFT, Billy. QFT.
Jake Sundberg
Louisiana, Alabama
retired
mhayes
Rikku

Post by mhayes »

wd4gdz wrote:Next year @ Bama: Jonathan Thompson + Jake Sundberg = the best graduate tandem EVER!
Was this really necessary?
Matt Hayes

Unaffiliated
manary
Lulu

Post by manary »

Graduating from Caltech, going on to the UCSD MSTP (MD/PhD). Probably will get the PhD in infectious diseases or microbiology.

Hey Auroni!

Micah
Micah J. Manary
University of California San Diego MSTP '1x
California Institute of Technology '10
Saint Louis University High School '07
Auron

Update on this:

I'm still graduating (though there are three professors with the power to make that not happen). I will be moving to Washington DC and not practicing law. This will leave me free for the entire summer to play any tournament I want, since I won't have to take the bar exam. Once I'm in DC I'm sure I'll show up to open tournaments there.
Bruce
ACF Member emeritus
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by DumbJaques »

I'm still graduating (though there are three professors with the power to make that not happen). I will be moving to Washington DC and not practicing law. This will leave me free for the entire summer to play any tournament I want, since I won't have to take the bar exam. Once I'm in DC I'm sure I'll show up to open tournaments there.
Hey dude, you're welcome to show up at UMD's open summer practices - shoot me an email if you're interested.
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
munih10
Lulu

Post by munih10 »

Jesus vs. Dragons wrote:Hopefully I will be attending the UF in the fall, but this is a shaky possibility. If I do not get accepted, I will transfer to another CC (most likely Santa Fe) to finish my AA. I believe Santa Fe has a QB team, so my career may continue. After looking at NAQT's website and realizing they did not even attend the CC SCT, I may be playing solo at a few tournaments...
Any news, Ethan? UF quiz bowl would love to have you. Unfortunately, I will be gone, and Aaron Kashtan is uncertain (last I heard) as to whether he will continue to play. I am looking forward to the prospect of playing quiz bowl at Brown, where I will begin working on a PhD in the fall.
Justin Byrd, UF '10
Brown '10---