2010 NAQT HSNCT

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

2010 NAQT HSNCT

Post by Important Bird Area »

naqt.com wrote:NAQT is pleased to announce that its 2010 High School National Championship Tournament will be held at Chicago's Hyatt Regency O'Hare hotel and the adjoining Donald E. Stephens Convention Center on Memorial Day weekend, May 28-30, 2010. This is the same hotel as last year.

Date:

May 28-30, 2010 (Friday to Sunday). This is Memorial Day weekend.

Site:

The Hyatt Regency O'Hare. This building contains both the official hotel and half of the competition rooms. The other half of the competition rooms will be in the nearby Convention Center which is connected to the hotel by a skyway.
Full details and registration form.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Scott
Rikku

Re: 2010 NAQT HSNCT

Post by Scott »

I know sounds impatient, but does anyone know when NAQT will be reviewing the Wildcard Bids?
Scott Blain
Grayson '12
Vanderbilt '16
Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo »

Also i would like to see a list of the registered teams for the tournament, if possible.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

Carangoides ciliarius wrote:Also i would like to see a list of the registered teams for the tournament, if possible.
http://naqt.com/hsnct/2010/field.html
Nicholas C
KQBA member
Auron

Gerd Bockmann wrote:
Carangoides ciliarius wrote:Also i would like to see a list of the registered teams for the tournament, if possible.
I suck at teh Interwebs.

Thanks, Nick.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
Unicolored Jay

Post by Unicolored Jay »

Just wondering, how large will the field be? I don't remember reading about that somewhere.
Jasper Lee
University of Tennessee Health Science Center '21
The Ohio State University '14
Solon High School '10
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

Judy Sucks a Lemon for Breakfast wrote:Just wondering, how large will the field be? I don't remember reading about that somewhere.
Almost surely the cap of 192.
Jon Pinyan
Coach, Bergen County Academies (NJ); former player for BCA (2000-03) and WUSTL (2003-07)
HSQB forum mod, PACE member
Stat director for: NSC '13-'15, '17; ACF '14, '17, '19; NHBB '13-'15; NASAT '11

"A [...] wizard who controls the weather" - Jerry Vinokurov
Important Bird Area

Judy Sucks a Lemon for Breakfast wrote:Just wondering, how large will the field be? I don't remember reading about that somewhere.
naqt.com wrote:The field for the tournament is limited to 192 teams.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Unicolored Jay

Post by Unicolored Jay »

Ok, thanks for clearing that up. I didn't know... :aaa:
Jasper Lee
University of Tennessee Health Science Center '21
The Ohio State University '14
Solon High School '10
reflectia
Lulu

Post by reflectia »

This is my team's first time at HSNCT (after many years of going to Panasonic/NTAE, because it happened to be more of the "tradition" at my school even though it was the oddest format).

Can anyone tell me about how much free time a team has between rounds or after the rounds? The schedules posted on the website say rounds conclude at around 6 PM, but I (and my fellow team members) would like to know what usually happens after these hours. Do teams usually venture into Chicago, or are there organized activities, mingling between the teams, etc?

(Feel free to direct this post somewhere else if I posted in the wrong forum.)
Audrey Zhang
Cheshire High School
Captain, 2009-Present
at your pleasure
Auron

Post by at your pleasure »

reflectia wrote:This is my team's first time at HSNCT (after many years of going to Panasonic/NTAE, because it happened to be more of the "tradition" at my school even though it was the oddest format).

Can anyone tell me about how much free time a team has between rounds or after the rounds? The schedules posted on the website say rounds conclude at around 6 PM, but I (and my fellow team members) would like to know what usually happens after these hours. Do teams usually venture into Chicago, or are there organized activities, mingling between the teams, etc?

(Feel free to direct this post somewhere else if I posted in the wrong forum.)
There's no real free time between rounds except for 4 (at the last HSNCT I was at) 45-minute byes and a lunch break, neither of which give enough time to go into Chicago. If you want to explore Chicago, you should probably go a day early and use Friday for tourism or use any available time on Sund. There are no NAQT-sponsored activities in the evening that I know of except for available rooms for scrimmages, but there will be a history doubles tournament written by Bruce Arthur run Saturday evening and presumably mingling. I suppose you could go into Chicago for the eveing, although to me mingling/more quizbowl seem like a better way to spend the evening.
Douglas Graebner, Walt Whitman HS 10, Uchicago 14
"... imagination acts upon man as really as does gravitation, and may kill him as certainly as a dose of prussic acid."-Sir James Frazer,The Golden Bough

http://avorticistking.wordpress.com/
Charbroil
Auron

Post by Charbroil »

Douglas pretty much covered it, except that byes are only 30 minutes long. That said, going out into Chicago on Saturday can be fun; we went to Navy Pier the year we attended HSNCT and it was quite enjoyable, not to mention much more relaxing that several more rounds of high difficulty Quiz Bowl.*

*Not that I'm criticizing going to History Doubles (or Gaddis last year), but those tournaments do last fairly late and I remember opting against going to Gaddis last year so as to get sleep. Playing another tournament is quite fun too, though.
Charles Hang
Francis Howell Central '09
St. Charles Community College '14
Washington University in St. Louis '19, 2x (President, 2017-19)

Owner, Olympia Academic Competition Questions, LLC
Question Writer, National Academic Quiz Tournaments, LLC and National History Bee and Bowl
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

Last year we flew in on Friday morning and used the afternoon/early evening to go to Navy Pier. There is also a movie theater within walking distance of the hotel if you're looking for some sort of leisure activity on Saturday night. Of course, a history side event sounds like it would be more fun IMO.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
reflectia
Lulu

Post by reflectia »

Dave Breger wrote:If you want to explore Chicago, you should probably go a day early and use Friday for tourism or use any available time on Sund.
By available time, does this mean if a team does not place out of the preliminary rounds that they have free time Sunday? Not that this is any incentive to lose, but knowing more is useful for planning. None of us personally know anyone who has been to HSNCT before so we have no idea what to expect.

Thanks for the advice about flying in early and going to Navy Pier; I'll mention this to our coaches.

Also, is there any sort of dress code, other than "appropriate"? I remember at PAC/NTAE teams routinely matched with team t-shirts or the like, which I felt a little uncomfortable doing, but if that's the norm...
Audrey Zhang
Cheshire High School
Captain, 2009-Present
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Post by Mechanical Beasts »

reflectia wrote:
Dave Breger wrote:If you want to explore Chicago, you should probably go a day early and use Friday for tourism or use any available time on Sund.
By available time, does this mean if a team does not place out of the preliminary rounds that they have free time Sunday? Not that this is any incentive to lose, but knowing more is useful for planning. None of us personally know anyone who has been to HSNCT before so we have no idea what to expect.
Right. You can either play consolation rounds or do as you please.
Also, is there any sort of dress code, other than "appropriate"? I remember at PAC/NTAE teams routinely matched with team t-shirts or the like, which I felt a little uncomfortable doing, but if that's the norm...
None.
Andrew Watkins
at your pleasure
Auron

Crazy Andy Watkins wrote:
None.
Yeah. Some teams match clothes or wear offical team t-shirts/polos, others just wear whatever they usually wear. It really doesn't matter.
"... imagination acts upon man as really as does gravitation, and may kill him as certainly as a dose of prussic acid."-Sir James Frazer,The Golden Bough

Boeing X-20, Please!
Rikku

Post by Boeing X-20, Please! »

Gerd Bockmann wrote:
Jeff/other NAQT people, if you could somewhere add the total number of teams registered to that page, it would make things very helpful (i.e. counting them is inconvenient) to someone looking for that information, like for example if for some reason they are waiting to register and don't want to miss their chance. Thanks.
Nolan Winkler
Loyola Academy '12
UChicago '16
ClemsonQB
Tidus

Post by ClemsonQB »

Personally I've found the Navy Pier to be overrated. However, the Art Institute of Chicago and The Second City never fail to impress (and I've been to both four times). In fact, when I'm in town for the ICT in April, its very likely I'll be returning to these places.
George Stevens

Dorman High School 2008
Clemson University 2012
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

That's great to hear that your team is trying out the HSNCT this year, Audrey! As for your questions, most people here have already covered them, but I always will use that as an excuse to remind people that I wore awful pajamas to NAQT's playoff rounds, so nobody cares about dress codes. This tournament is basicaly the anti-Panasonic - way more games, way less formality, way different questions and format. Something to think about for your traveling is to decide whether or not your team wants to participate in the scrimmage rounds on Friday night. If you are unfamiliar with the game format AND view getting acquainted with it to best succeed as a team priority, then you might want to go to those instead of tourist things on Friday night. However, they do not count, and if you are already acquainted with the format or are at nationals to try and schedule some fun time as well, you would probably want to use that time to go downtown. I like riding the train from O'Hare to downtown, but it is really time consuming and you probably won't be able to do that to and from downtown AND make it to registration in time to play scrimmages.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
at your pleasure
Auron

Katamari Damacy wrote:Something to think about for your traveling is to decide whether or not your team wants to participate in the scrimmage rounds on Friday night.
This is as good an excuse as any to mention that Jeff Hoppes is running a geography side event late Friday if you want the maximum amount of quizbowl possible from HSNCT weekend. It's packet-sub but you could probably ask for an exception. Oh, and I second the recommendation for the Art Institute.

Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

I'll second the Second City recommendation. It was a great deal of fun for my team when we went there.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
Important Bird Area

Extinction threshold wrote:Jeff/other NAQT people, if you could somewhere add the total number of teams registered to that page, it would make things very helpful
That would be helpful. I'll see if I can make this change.
Dave Breger wrote:This is as good an excuse as any to mention that Jeff Hoppes is running a geography side event late Friday if you want the maximum amount of quizbowl possible from HSNCT weekend. It's packet-sub but you could probably ask for an exception.
Thanks for the plug... but it's worth noting that everyone who signs up should be prepared to write their share of a packet. I won't grant any exceptions until I know we have enough packets submitted to actually run this tournament.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

reflectia
Lulu

Post by reflectia »

Katamari Damacy wrote:his tournament is basicaly the anti-Panasonic - way more games, way less formality, way different questions and format.
Thank goodness.
Katamari Damacy wrote:Something to think about for your traveling is to decide whether or not your team wants to participate in the scrimmage rounds on Friday night. If you are unfamiliar with the game format AND view getting acquainted with it to best succeed as a team priority, then you might want to go to those instead of tourist things on Friday night.
Regarding getting practice on HSNCT questions - our team has been around for awhile now, but I'm not sure even the coaches were aware of the differences between the different formats until I pointed out that not all quizbowl is the same, and we don't have many NAQT questions to practice on (just the free ones online). In practices, we've used HAVOC, Harvard Fall, Delta Burke, and Valencia Fall packets, but I'm having trouble gauging the difficulty of HSNCT given that I've only ever read two of their packets (2003 and 2009, I think) and, although I've listened through the podcasts, have difficulty hearing answers without blowing my ears out with my iPod.

What I'm trying to say is: Can we still qualify for the "New High School" question set package? and What other packets would you say are useful for practice, so my teammates are familiar with the level of difficulty? I've read through PACE NSCs for the content but the team was hung up on not having 30-point bonuses and the 20-tossup format.
Dave Breger wrote:This is as good an excuse as any to mention that Jeff Hoppes is running a geography side event late Friday if you want the maximum amount of quizbowl possible from HSNCT weekend.
Thanks for letting us know, but the packet-sub requirement means that our team probably won't be participating in this. I'll ask my teammates about the history doubles though.
Audrey Zhang
Cheshire High School
Captain, 2009-Present
at your pleasure
Auron

reflectia wrote:
Katamari Damacy wrote:Something to think about for your traveling is to decide whether or not your team wants to participate in the scrimmage rounds on Friday night. If you are unfamiliar with the game format AND view getting acquainted with it to best succeed as a team priority, then you might want to go to those instead of tourist things on Friday night.
Regarding getting practice on HSNCT questions - our team has been around for awhile now, but I'm not sure even the coaches were aware of the differences between the different formats until I pointed out that not all quizbowl is the same, and we don't have many NAQT questions to practice on (just the free ones online). In practices, we've used HAVOC, Harvard Fall, Delta Burke, and Valencia Fall packets, but I'm having trouble gauging the difficulty of HSNCT given that I've only ever read two of their packets (2003 and 2009, I think) and, although I've listened through the podcasts, have difficulty hearing answers without blowing my ears out with my iPod.

What I'm trying to say is: Can we still qualify for the "New High School" question set package? and What other packets would you say are useful for practice, so my teammates are familiar with the level of difficulty? I've read through PACE NSCs for the content but the team was hung up on not having 30-point bonuses and the 20-tossup format.

Thanks for letting us know, but the packet-sub requirement means that our team probably won't be participating in this. I'll ask my teammates about the history doubles though.
I think you guys could if this is your first HSNCT. For good practice difficultly, I'd suggest last year's HFT playoff rounds and collegiate novice/undergrad tournaments such as ACF fall and MUT.

Charbroil
Auron

Post by Charbroil »

Dave Breger wrote:
reflectia wrote:

I think you guys could if this is your first HSNCT. For good practice difficultly, I'd suggest last year's HFT playoff rounds and collegiate novice/undergrad tournaments such as ACF fall and MUT.
I'm actually somewhat skeptical that NAQT would allow an established team to be considered a New High School for the purpose of purchasing packets, but in any case as Douglas mentioned, HFT, ACF Fall, and MUT are all good options to study for the HSNCT. Since you guys seem to have a pretty good grasp on the high school canon (at least from a glance at your scores at the Connecticut tournament), you should really also consider slightly more difficult collegiate tournaments such as EFT or ACF Winter.
Charles Hang

Question Writer, National Academic Quiz Tournaments, LLC and National History Bee and Bowl
Important Bird Area

We should certainly figure out what constitutes a "new" high school for this purpose, but the New High School package wouldn't actually help out here. (It contains only a single packet of HSNCT-level questions; most of it is Introductory Invitational Series, since it's intended for brand-new teams.)
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

at your pleasure
Auron

bt_green_warbler wrote:We should certainly figure out what constitutes a "new" high school for this purpose, but the New High School package wouldn't actually help out here. (It contains only a single packet of HSNCT-level questions; most of it is Introductory Invitational Series, since it's intended for brand-new teams.)
Would it be "New to any sort of quizbowl" or "new to circuit quizbowl"?

QOHS
Lulu

Post by QOHS »

We have yet to officially qualify, but I have been looking into travel plans in case we do. We were thinking about staying until monday evening since it's a holiday weekend. What is the best way to get into the city from where the hotels are (near O'hare) Should we rent a car? I don't know how far downtown is to the hotels and have no concept of how long of a train ride, or how expensive of a cab ride it is. Or if the hotels offer a shuttle.
Rev. Joshua M. Schuman
Quince Orchard High School
Gaithersburg, Maryland
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

There is a subway (L) stop at O'Hare that goes downtown, it's about a 30-45 minute ride and would probably be the cheapest means of transport. Fare is $2.00 one way. I wouldn't recommend taxis, if you get stuck in traffic on I-90 then it will cost you a small fortune. From the aforementioned train, there are several stops downtown and easy access to the usual sights.

A further recommendation: if you wish to visit the Museum of Science and Industry south of downtown, take the #6 Jeffrey Express bus, which is by far the quickest route.

Hope this helps, and enjoy your stay if you decide to make the trip!
David Riley
Coach Emeritus, Loyola Academy, Wilmette, Illinois, 1993-2010
Steering Committee, IHSSBCA, 1996 -
Member, PACE, 2012 -

"This is 1183, of course we're barbarians" -- Eleanor of Aquitaine in "The Lion in Winter"

Would it be "New to any sort of quizbowl" or "new to circuit quizbowl"?
I think there would be a lot of benefits in the long run to choosing "new to pyramidal quizbowl."
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Rufous-capped Thornbill
Tidus

Post by Rufous-capped Thornbill »

So, is Adair County HS a small school? Their city is italicized, but their school name is not.
Jarret Greene
South Range '10 / Ohio State '13 / Vermont '17
Important Bird Area

Per email from R.:

1. Anyone can buy the "new high school" package; there are no experience restrictions on it. Of course it will be most appealing to new teams because it contains a lot of introductory questions and not so much HSNCT.

2. The new college package is limited to "teams that have not attended SCT in the past two years."
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Susan

Post by Susan »

QOHS wrote:We have yet to officially qualify, but I have been looking into travel plans in case we do. We were thinking about staying until monday evening since it's a holiday weekend. What is the best way to get into the city from where the hotels are (near O'hare) Should we rent a car? I don't know how far downtown is to the hotels and have no concept of how long of a train ride, or how expensive of a cab ride it is. Or if the hotels offer a shuttle.
If you do choose to rent a car for sightseeing purposes, bear in mind that it's going to cost you a good chunk of change to park downtown.
Susan
UChicago alum (AB 2003, PhD 2009)
Member emerita, ACF

I would definitely say not to rent a car, and instead ride the train.

ClemsonQB
Tidus

Post by ClemsonQB »

Jeremy Gibbs Freesy Does It wrote:I would definitely say not to rent a car, and instead ride the train.
I agree. Having driven through Chicago traffic before, trust me, this isn't something you want to do. Plus, renting a car would be more expensive anyway.
George Stevens

Dorman High School 2008
Clemson University 2012
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

It's possibly changed, but the last time I tried to get from Midway to O'Harre on the subway it took like 2 hours. I don't know if that's going to work out better for you than renting a car.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

Midwy to O'Hare is a long ride, if you are staying near O'Hare and/or downtown and/or just want to see downtown sites, then the train really is your best option.
David Riley
Coach Emeritus, Loyola Academy, Wilmette, Illinois, 1993-2010
Steering Committee, IHSSBCA, 1996 -
Member, PACE, 2012 -

"This is 1183, of course we're barbarians" -- Eleanor of Aquitaine in "The Lion in Winter"
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

Bentley Like Beckham wrote:It's possibly changed, but the last time I tried to get from Midway to O'Harre on the subway it took like 2 hours. I don't know if that's going to work out better for you than renting a car.
I did this at Chicago Open, and I was able to get between the two stops on a Sunday morning in an hour.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
Captain Sinico
Auron

Post by Captain Sinico »

Yeah, Midway isn't anywhere near downtown. Midway to O'Hare is all the way from the end of the Orange line to all the way to the end of the Blue line, so it's one of the longer El rides you can take. The El should take you maybe half an hour or 45 minutes to get downtown; you can get around from there.

MaS
Mike Sorice
Former Coach, Centennial High School of Champaign, IL (2014-2020) & Team Illinois (2016-2018)
Alumnus, Illinois ABT (2000-2002; 2003-2009) & Fenwick Scholastic Bowl (1999-2000)
Member, ACF (Emeritus), IHSSBCA, & PACE
Important Bird Area

Inkana7 wrote:So, is Adair County HS a small school? Their city is italicized, but their school name is not.
They are not; this has been fixed on naqt.com.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

wexs883198215
Wakka

Post by wexs883198215 »

How close is the field to being full? I'm fairly certain WJ sent in a wildcard bid, but I"m not sure what's going on with that.
Kuo-Kai Chin
Walter Johnson High School '11
Harvard University '15
Stanford University School of Medicine '19
Important Bird Area

wexs883198215 wrote:How close is the field to being full? I'm fairly certain WJ sent in a wildcard bid, but I"m not sure what's going on with that.
The field is nearly full.

Kuo-Kai, we have not received a wildcard bid from Walter Johnson yet; if you would like one, please send a brief summary of your tournament performance this year to [email protected] as soon as you can.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

wexs883198215
Wakka

Post by wexs883198215 »

I sent it in. Quite glad I asked :shock:
Kuo-Kai Chin
Walter Johnson High School '11
Harvard University '15
Stanford University School of Medicine '19
Important Bird Area

The 192-team tournament field is now full (counting spots reserved for state champions). NAQT will continue to accept teams for a waitlist and will notify them promptly if a spot opens up. Please feel free to contact NAQT for more information about the likelihood of a waitlist spot making it into the field.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Rufous-capped Thornbill
Tidus

Post by Rufous-capped Thornbill »

bt_green_warbler wrote:The 192-team tournament field is now full (counting spots reserved for state champions). NAQT will continue to accept teams for a waitlist and will notify them promptly if a spot opens up. Please feel free to contact NAQT for more information about the likelihood of a waitlist spot making it into the field.
With the field being filled so fast, is there any talk of expanding the field further?

And is the field on NAQT.com updated?
Jarret Greene
South Range '10 / Ohio State '13 / Vermont '17
Auron

I'm really happy that both National tournaments' fields are full. It shows a lot of interest in good quizbowl, and lots of great teams wanting to end their seasons on a great note.

However, i think it's time that the "15% rule" should be amended to perhaps 10%. That's a lot of teams that qualify, and yes, other good teams have plenty of time to register (or should have qualified earlier), but since NAQT has expanded so much and been writing so many good sets that are played in hundreds of tournaments... perhaps having less teams qualify may be a good idea for the future.

A field with more than 192 teams would be pretty difficult to coordinate... an expansion of the field isn't something that i really think would work.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
Important Bird Area

Inkana7 wrote:And is the field on NAQT.com updated?
The field on naqt.com has not been updated since March 31st.

EDIT: R. says the next update will be Monday after we finish the ICT. Feel free to contact me if you're concerned about your team's place in the field (eg, you registered between the last update and the closing of the field).
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Important Bird Area

Inkana7 wrote:With the field being filled so fast, is there any talk of expanding the field further?
This is a complicated decision, one that we will not have time to consider until after ICT is over.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Charbroil
Auron

Post by Charbroil »

Carangoides ciliarius wrote: However, i think it's time that the "15% rule" should be amended to perhaps 10%.
Beyond that, you could just limit the percentage of teams qualifying on A sets to 10%; that would not only reflect the fact that doing well at an A set tournament is hardly equivalent to being prepared for HSNCT, but also emphasize the importance of IS level questions in difficulty as the standard that all high school teams should shoot for.
Charles Hang

Dan-Don
Yuna

Post by Dan-Don »

Carangoides ciliarius wrote: However, i think it's time that the "15% rule" should be amended to perhaps 10%.
Well this might work in Delaware where your state qualifier is Charter A-Q + Caesar Rodney. But in Illinois , we had one tournament in true NAQT format. St. Ignatius, Loyola, and New Trier didn't qualify under this 15% schematic. The ideal solution is probably to adopt a PACE-esque system of figuring out a percentage on a tournament-by-tournament basis. The top 15% at the Arizona NAQT State Qualifier doesn't need to be at HSNCT, but probably the top 25-30% of the Illinois State Qualifier should be.

EDIT: For example, my former compadres managed 14.5 ppb with all their starters on IS-94 and have been registered for HSNCT since November, while Stevenson's (who had 22.5 ppb) HSNCT hopes had to wait until February 27th, where they were the highest-placing team that had not already qualified. Is it fair that just because our state wasn't big on NAQT this year that a team that belongs at HSNCT barely registered by the seat of their pants? No. I think that NAQT should: a) count themselves lucky that Ig, Loyola, NT, Lisle, etc. have qualified through various leagues and Kickoffs, and b) have broken the 8-way tie for 9th at Kickoff and upped the 15% cutoff for NAQT State.
Last edited by Dan-Don on Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dan Donohue, Saint Viator ('10), Northwestern ('14), NAQT