HS Seniors Bound for College Thread

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
BobGHHS
Rikku

Off-topic

Post by BobGHHS »

Noah, I know its off-topic, but while I'm thinking about it... any college/major choice yet...

Our captain is 99 percent sure he's going to Case to major in Chemistry... which will be interesting since Garfield has one of the most crappy chemistry departments in the state...
Bob Kilner
Kent State '06 - Boise State '10
Former Coach, Garfield Hts (OH) (2001-08)
Former Coach, Eastlake North HS (OH) (2015-22)

"I'd sooner fail than not be among the greatest." - John Keats
solonqb
Rikku

Post by solonqb »

Interestingly enough, I was thinking of majoring in chemistry as well.

I'm applying to MIT, Caltech, Rice, Harvey Mudd (CA), CMU, Case, Wash U, Michigan and Illinois. I'll probably end up at either Michigan, Case, or Rice.

I thought about making this a thread earlier for HS seniors bound for college. Perhaps a moderator could move the relevant messages, leaving this thead on topic and creating a new one.
Noah Rahman
Welcome to Simbabwe, where the property is already owned and the houses built and you compete to burn and dispossess them. Compete with Robert Mugabe, Canaan Banana, Cecil Rhodes and Sir Godfrey Huggins to earn a place on the all-time EU travel ban list!
BobGHHS
Rikku

I figured

Post by BobGHHS »

I figured you would major in something-science related.... but what I didn't figure was that you'd end up at Michigan with the rest of the former DCC and DCD team members.....

God life is boring without competition, nothing until Buzzerpalooza for us....
Bob Kilner

zwtipp
Rikku

Post by zwtipp »

I'm applying to Duke, USC and Stanford. If I don't get into one of these I guess I'm screwed. I'm planning on majoring in Aeronautical Engineering and History. If anyone has suggestions on where else I might like and could apply to let me know.
I do not care much for large yellow Avians.
BobGHHS
Rikku

Post by BobGHHS »

You could always come to Kent, where they protest everything...

For a psychology experiment, an unnamed portly friend of mine wanted to put up a poster with a petition saying "Save the three-toed burmese tree sloth" and then actually have people sign their own death warrant... I guarantee you could get like 3,000 signatures....

No matter where you go Zach, you'll be happy, college is a totally different experience...

Besides, if you're valedictorian, you will get in anywhere you apply, most of the time with a full ride.... so keep working hard for one more semester....
Bob Kilner

mhanna
Lulu

Post by mhanna »

Zach,

You might want to take a look at Georgia Tech.

Mac Hanna
Aiken
PRStoetzer
Lulu

Post by PRStoetzer »

Everybody should come to Michigan State. Several of our team members will be graduating, including, unfortunately, Kevin Roth.
Paul R. Stoetzer
President, Michigan State University Academic Competition Club
Former Captain, Eisenhower High School Quiz Bowl Team (2001-2003)
steven-lamp
Rikku

Post by steven-lamp »

I think Auburn University is actually a very good school for Aeronautical Engineering, if you're interested.... It's just sort of crazy in Auburn...

Anyway, I've applied to Harvard, Samford, and University of Alabama. I'll most likely be going to Samford, though.
No Sollositing On Premise
Tidus

Post by No Sollositing On Premise »

Georgia Tech is the place to go for aerospace engineering (I know four or five people over there from my high school), but don't forget about The Ratio.
Mike Sollosi, University of Virginia
wasprsilds
Lulu

Post by wasprsilds »

Cornell or The University of Georgia for Plant Genetics.
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

BobGHHS wrote:Besides, if you're valedictorian, you will get in anywhere you apply, most of the time with a full ride.
I have never heard of this blanket statement. I doubt admissions/financial aid counselors have either.

(If this were AHAN this paragraph would include "brains" and a rough equivalent of "horse manure" in one sentence) All I will say is that despite increasing their academic standards due to a recent massive influx of UCLA rejects, the "University" of Southern California is still looking for people with functional brains. Therefore, zwtipp, either you will get into USC or you are too good for them anyway.

Dwight (from, but not speaking on behalf of, UCLA. I'm sure there are other people at my school that could come up with far more scathing denunciations than I ever could.)
vig180
Wakka

Post by vig180 »

Here's to state schools and their generous scholarships! Especially Alabama, Clemson, Arkansas, and Georgia. I'm hoping to pick up at least one of their big ones and so not have to worry about money for a few years. On the private school front, I am also applying to Dartmouth, Rochester, Vanderbilt, Rice, and Princeton, but these will depend a lot more on admittance/waitlists. Anybody at one of these schools want to sell it to me? I'm still open to anywhere at this point.
irmogopher
Lulu

Post by irmogopher »

I've applied to MIT (Early Action), Georgia Tech, USC Honors, and Furman and I'm still working on my application to Davidson.

I'm planning on studying chemistry but I'm becoming torn between chemistry and something along the grounds of biomedical engineering or even just biochemistry.
ASimPerson
Rikku

Post by ASimPerson »

laszlow wrote:Georgia Tech is the place to go for aerospace engineering (I know four or five people over there from my high school), but don't forget about The Ratio.
(laughs)

Oh, yes, the ratio, oh...the ratio....

Oh, and AE here is totally insane. If you think you've got the skills, you'll probably be challenged. Two of my teammates here are AEs, so I've had the chance to hear about it a lot.

If you decide to apply here, though, do so soon so you can get in competition for the President's Scholarship. You may not get a full-ride, or even half of one, but even the lowest teir fo the award still enjoys full perks (plus, you get your admission decision a lot faster).

(To Steven-lamp) UAH is probably better at AE within Alabama, if for no other reason than the companies an AE would want to work for are within a 10 minute drive of the campus. Huntsville ain't the "Rocket City" for nothin', you know.
Nick Bendler, Georgia Tech '06
Moderator emeritus
steven-lamp
Rikku

Post by steven-lamp »

True-dat nick.

Anyway, as to the toast to the state schools. Definitely so. Alabama has what they call an "automatic full scholarship" to anyone who has an academic GPA of 3.5 or better and a 32 ACT/1400 SAT. This pretty much provides me with a good backup should I not get what I'm wanting from Samford.
quizbowlmike
Lulu

Post by quizbowlmike »

You're all welcome to come to UF. We have an excellent engineering program, a pretty good history program, and the proper ratio for anyone interested in that :-) Also, I've heard many of the older members of our team will be leaving so the majority of our team will be fairly young and everyone will have a good chance of getting plenty of playing time next year. Last, but not least, we'll even invite you over to watch South Park every Wednesday night after practice :-)
Agent Smith
Lulu

Post by Agent Smith »

laszlow wrote:Georgia Tech is the place to go for aerospace engineering (I know four or five people over there from my high school), but don't forget about The Ratio.
I applied to Georgia Tech along with UF, MIT, Harvard, Rice, and Illinois. I can tell you right now that The Ratioâ„¢ is precisely what is dissuading me from going there if I get in.
irmogopher
Lulu

Post by irmogopher »

It's not like you are limited to just GT girls...you'll be in the middle of freakin' Atlanta
Tidus

I'm perfectly happy with UVA. Solid academics all around (#2 state school in the country), a beautiful town, and a 56-44 girl-guy Ratio. You should give us a visit.
quizbowllee
Auron

UAH

Post by quizbowllee »

Steven, it would be interesting if you came to UAH... I plan to start on my Master's there next year and MIGHT start playing again if someone with more time was willing to start up a team.

-Lee
steven-lamp
Rikku

Post by steven-lamp »

They sent me a letter and I think it had a scholarship offer, but I'm not sure. I'll probably be at either UA or Samford, and if I don't get the full scholarship to Samford, and I am at UA, perhaps we could start a UA team and you could simply play from UAH but as on the UA team. I might start a team at UA, but probably not at Samford, as the smaller student body probably wouldn't produce a ton of interest.
ASimPerson
Rikku

Post by ASimPerson »

steven-lamp wrote:They sent me a letter and I think it had a scholarship offer, but I'm not sure. I'll probably be at either UA or Samford, and if I don't get the full scholarship to Samford, and I am at UA, perhaps we could start a UA team and you could simply play from UAH but as on the UA team. I might start a team at UA, but probably not at Samford, as the smaller student body probably wouldn't produce a ton of interest.
Alabama plays CBI, I think- perhaps you can springboard from that.

Also, I think UAH sends letters to everyone in Alabama if you did well on the ACT....
Moderator emeritus
steven-lamp
Rikku

Post by steven-lamp »

Yeah, if I did attempt to start a team, we'd probably play ACF and NAQT tournaments, along with local/regional others. I've heard CBI isn't a great format...
vig180
Wakka

Post by vig180 »

If I end up at Alabama too, I'd definitely be interested in an NAQT/ACF team. I'm tired of AUK questions and do much better with the pyramidal format. So if somehow both of us end up at UA, it's good to know there'd be the foundation for a team.
steven-lamp
Rikku

Post by steven-lamp »

What school are you attending right now? I'm at Loveless Academic Magnet Program (LAMP) in Montgomery...
ASimPerson
Rikku

Post by ASimPerson »

Yeah, CBI sucks, but I'm just saying you maybe be able to build off anyone who does that a lot to form a real team.
Moderator emeritus
vig180
Wakka

Post by vig180 »

White Station High in Memphis, TN. We do our local TV Knowledge Bowl and that's about it. It's too bad since we have some really good players, they just never want to go to anything that doesn't have money as a prize.
wasprsilds
Lulu

Post by wasprsilds »

ASimPerson wrote:
steven-lamp wrote:They sent me a letter and I think it had a scholarship offer, but I'm not sure. I'll probably be at either UA or Samford, and if I don't get the full scholarship to Samford, and I am at UA, perhaps we could start a UA team and you could simply play from UAH but as on the UA team. I might start a team at UA, but probably not at Samford, as the smaller student body probably wouldn't produce a ton of interest.
Alabama plays CBI, I think- perhaps you can springboard from that.

Also, I think UAH sends letters to everyone in Alabama if you did well on the ACT....
Hehe, I'm in Georgia and I got a letter from Alabama.
crackerwithak
Lulu

Post by crackerwithak »

Does anybody else want to go to Michigan?
ASimPerson
Rikku

Post by ASimPerson »

wasprsilds wrote:Hehe, I'm in Georgia and I got a letter from Alabama.
Funny, I never got a letter from them. Of course, I was never remotely interested in UA...
Moderator emeritus
harshrealm
Lulu

Post by harshrealm »

University of Georgia: great atmosphere, awesome professors, etc. Honors program is one of the best in the country. You don't get screwed out of AP credits because the departments are so freakin' lenient at giving you credit for exams. Athens is the best college town in America. Dorms are pretty good, and the food is amazing for the first few months. Can't tell you anything about the quizbowl scene since my only involvement now is moderator for hire.

GA Tech: If you want to be a hellava engineer, more power to you. They have a great program over there, and it's definately one of the best values in the country, especially if are in state. I believe they do not have a pure history major; instead they have History, Technology, and Society or something to that effect. However, premed bio majors would be better off at UGA.

I have to note however, that currently the state of Georgia is experiencing a severe budget crisis where the government has cut the budgets of universities beyond the bone and into the marrow.
"Our greatest glory lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."
ASimPerson
Rikku

Post by ASimPerson »

Yeah, Tech does that renaming thing with some of the liberal arts majors. Rest assured, though, that HTS really is a history degree.
Moderator emeritus
astrophysicist2b
Lulu

Post by astrophysicist2b »

I've applied to Penn State (in my backyard-- 75% employee tuition discount), Berkeley, and am sending in Harvard sometime soon. From what I've heard, those are the top 3 undergrad astro programs, so why apply anywhere else? I'd really prefer not to stay in the same town I've lived in my entire life, but it's kind of hard to pass up an offer where I'd only have to pay like $2000 a year plus room and board if I live on campus. Don't think I'll be getting into Harvard, as half of the sr class at my school is applying there, and I'm not valedictorian.
bigtrain
Rikku

Post by bigtrain »

I've applied to Penn State (in my backyard-- 75% employee tuition discount),
Do most of the players on your team have parents who teach at Penn State?
Alex Price
Walter Johnson 2006
Emory University 2010
ballsofsteele
Lulu

Post by ballsofsteele »

Come up here to VA Tech. Great atmosphere, great engineering school, not that expensive. I applied to GT, but decided not to go because I was kind of scared off by the Ratio and by the fact that no one seemed happy there.
Rothlover
Yuna

Post by Rothlover »

Anyone going to Brandeis by any chance? I am always here to answer quesitons :) .
Marcel Duchamp
Lulu

Post by Marcel Duchamp »

Rothlover wrote:Anyone going to Brandeis by any chance? I am always here to answer quesitons :) .
I'll probably go there if I get in, but I won't know until april. Not sure about playing in college though.
Zach Hommer, Coach Priestley Charter School
New Orleans, LA
vig180
Wakka

Post by vig180 »

Rice just gave me a pretty nice deal, but Alabama pulled out all the stops and awarded me enough so that I could easily fund a startup quizbowl team and have plently left over to do other things with. UGA and Rochester along with Dartmouth and Princeton have yet to make their offers (of both money and admission in the case of the latter two) however so the future is still in doubt. I saw Rochester made the ICT along with Princeton but haven't heard much about Rice and UGA. Are they still playing much?
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Rice played at Sectionals and goes to various events on the Texas circuit. Georgia...well, I'd best not get into that, let's see if someone from their program can handle the question.
steven-lamp
Rikku

Post by steven-lamp »

Yeah, I got a really big offer from Alabama also, and I think it'd be cool to set up a team there. After all, it's a huge school, so there's gotta be some talent.
Mr. Kwalter
Tidus

Post by Mr. Kwalter »

Rice definitely has a team, although they are primarily NAQT and I believe CBI. We have run a few tournaments in the past couple years that I've been here at Texas and I do not recall Rice attending any of them, but that does not mean they wouldn't do so with a little encouragement from within. As for starting a team at a big school, it's tough. UT is huge, and you would think that there would be tons of people around that are interested in academic competition, but the fact is that the sheer size of the school creates a communication barrier that is hard to overcome. There are some 52,000 people at UT and our average practice draws fewer than 10 of them. However, I do not wish to discourage you. I wish you the best of luck in your efforts, it's a hard road but it's worth it in the end.
solonqb
Rikku

Post by solonqb »

The grapevine tells me Rice is graduating a couple of its starters, so they could use fresh blood. (I won't find out if I get in until March)
Noah Rahman
Welcome to Simbabwe, where the property is already owned and the houses built and you compete to burn and dispossess them. Compete with Robert Mugabe, Canaan Banana, Cecil Rhodes and Sir Godfrey Huggins to earn a place on the all-time EU travel ban list!
NoahMinkCHS
Rikku

Post by NoahMinkCHS »

ekwartler wrote:Rice definitely has a team, although they are primarily NAQT and I believe CBI.
Georgia is pretty much the same; we don't do ACF, mainly because none of us really care to. I imagine if someone were really interested, though, we would probably try it out.

It's my first year here, and I've enjoyed it so far. I'm sure Robin (who's actually in charge) will post here at some point, too, and he can tell you more than I, but just from the "entering freshman" point of view, I'd recommend it (even if you hear otherwise from people outside the program).

Guessing from your post, are you coming to Interview Weekend? (Man, is that this week?!) If I have time, I may stop by. I got the Ramsey, which is a good deal and a pretty solid consolation prize for not getting Fellowship (which is incredible). Best of luck to you and anyone else who's coming.
biggreen
Lulu

Post by biggreen »

Anyone headed for Dartmouth? If you've got questions, I've got answers.
HAHAHA
Lulu

Post by HAHAHA »

What is there to do in Hanover?
vig180
Wakka

Post by vig180 »

I'm headed there (Dartmouth) for a visit before I decide (got a likely letter), but the financial cost seems much too steep. What's the best reason for going there other than Ivy Prestige that makes up for the price?
bulldog09
Kimahri

Post by bulldog09 »

I'm going to an ivy league school next year (Yale). Anybody know anything about its quiz bowl team? How competitive is quiz bowl in the ivys?
biggreen
Lulu

Post by biggreen »

Let's see if I can answer all 3 of these in one shot.

1) Admittedly, Hanover isn't New York or Chicago. In spite of that, I rarely find myself bored. The Greek system is very big here, and provides many of the social outlets on campus, but hardly all. Students here are very creative and we manage to entertain ourselves in any variety of ways. If you're outdoorsy at all, Dartmouth is great for you, since the DOC (Dartmouth Outing Club) is probably the most active outdoors-activity group in America on a college campus.

2) Yeah, Dartmouth's not cheap, but the financial aid office is pretty generous. If it weren't for good financial aid, I would probably be at U of I right now. There's a lot to love about Dartmouth, and I'd be happy to say what I love about it over email (for the sake of this thread). So feel free to blitz me about it.

3) College bowl in the Ivy League is dominated by Yale and Harvard (no surprise). Cornell, Princeton, and Columbia are pretty good as well. Brown has no team, and we're trying to rebuild ours. All of the Ivies (with the exception of Brown, of course) will be at the ICT. Yale won the SCT in both divisions, and I'm pretty sure is strong year in and year out.
Tidus

One of the freshmen on Yale's team is Allen Bristow of Gov, and he alone is reason to worry.
Captain Sinico
Auron

Post by Captain Sinico »

biggreen wrote:If it weren't for good financial aid, I would probably be at U of I right now.
A fate WORSE THAN DEATH!
In all seriousness, though, if you're into quizbowl, please check-out U of I. I'd advise the Ivies to get ready for another beatdown from us at the ICT (4-0 last year) as well as in engineering and the sciences.
If you need to know anything about UIUC (with respect to quizbowl or anything else) just ask me.

MaS
Last edited by Captain Sinico on Thu Feb 24, 2005 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.