Pernicious NAQT Nationals Site Rumors Thread!

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
solonqb
Rikku

Pernicious NAQT Nationals Site Rumors Thread!

Post by solonqb »

Reliable sources hint that Pittsburgh is one of the five shortlisted sites for NAQT Nationals.
Noah Rahman
Welcome to Simbabwe, where the property is already owned and the houses built and you compete to burn and dispossess them. Compete with Robert Mugabe, Canaan Banana, Cecil Rhodes and Sir Godfrey Huggins to earn a place on the all-time EU travel ban list!
irmogopher
Lulu

Post by irmogopher »

I don't know how much I trust these "reliable sources" anymore...

Last year I was told someone had leaked out that NAQT Nationals were going to be in Boston and I completely set and excited for a trip to Boston but then they ended up being in a hotel in Houston.

They should go back to having them at universities/colleges, it provides for a more unique experience.
rchschem
Yuna

Post by rchschem »

The rumor was 57% right.
jrbarry
Tidus

Post by jrbarry »

OK. It is almost December. When and where will NAQT Nationals be?
steven-lamp
Rikku

Post by steven-lamp »

Yes, I am getting a little bit antsy about this. This year we actually have a choice of what national we go to. (In the past, our coach always made us go to ASCN, and last year would not let us go to NAQT with or without her, but that's ok, the Chicago trip was fun). Since we have a PACE bid, it'd be nice to figure out where exactly NAQT will be so we can make a decision.
irmogopher
Lulu

Post by irmogopher »

Two points:

Interested hosts had to contact by July 15th, and it is now December 8th. You'd think they could announce it by now.

Why do they announce the site of the national college tournament a year in advance but the high school tournament less than six months in advance? Do colleges have more redtape for national travel than high school teams, or is it a money thing? I want answers!
solonqb
Rikku

Post by solonqb »

I think the HSNCT is simply lower priority than the ICT for them, maybe they don't make money on it. I know for a fact that the ICT doesn't turn a profit.

Also keep in mind they have to pick between five equally good sites.

Perhaps someone who knows more than me about NAQT's inner workings can shed light on this. All I think I know is what I posted above and to start this thread.
Noah Rahman
Welcome to Simbabwe, where the property is already owned and the houses built and you compete to burn and dispossess them. Compete with Robert Mugabe, Canaan Banana, Cecil Rhodes and Sir Godfrey Huggins to earn a place on the all-time EU travel ban list!
irmogopher
Lulu

Post by irmogopher »

How did you know about the shortlist of five?
solonqb
Rikku

Post by solonqb »

Whispers in the wind. :wink:
Noah Rahman
astrophysicist2b
Lulu

Post by astrophysicist2b »

I wouldn't be surprised if pittsburgh was selected, although I personally would rather go somewhere else (we went to pittsburgh something like 5 times last year). Several of the people from carnegie mellon and the university of pittsburgh who run the pa tournaments were at houston last year, so it would definitely be well-run.

I think ken jennings :kenj: should make a guest appearence @ nationals. Really just needed an excuse to put in the new emoticon for him, but it's not a bad idea.
astrophysicist2b
Lulu

Post by astrophysicist2b »

what are the other four anyway?
solonqb
Rikku

Post by solonqb »

I second the :kenj: idea. He should be the surprise keynote speaker to open or close nationals. Maybe someone from NAQT willl take note of this.

I have not even a glimmer of a hint about the other four.
Noah Rahman
solonqb
Rikku

Post by solonqb »

Little birds continue to twitter in my ear. :grin: Namely, that NAQT has narrowed the list down to four and that they "hope to make an announcement shortly."

And no, I don't know what their definition of shortly is.

The same source gives positive news on the :kenj: at Nationals front. I am told that he definitely wants to be there; only logistical issues might hold him up.
Noah Rahman
UGAQuizdogs
Lulu

Post by UGAQuizdogs »

"Do colleges have more redtape for national travel than high school teams, or is it a money thing? I want answers!"

Yes and Yes.

Some schools handle all the travel arrangements. Some make the players pay, and they dont get their money back on the trip (if the players get reimbursed) until a month afterwards. Some schools are anal like that.*

Some schools also have to watch their funds so that they can do a nationals trip (of course, this is a gamble, assuming they DO get into a nationals trip). Of course, those who host tournaments dont have to worry as much, but national trips are expensive at any level.

*Not implying that UGA is anal with our money- Ive heard horror stories from other schools.

Robin
UGA CBAT
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

From dealing with this issue at PACE for many, many years, there are issues with scheduling events on a college campus during the summer. A lot of college campuses (my current one included) use their campus for a ton of summer programs almost as soon as the undergrads leave the dorms and graduation ceremonies are over. Student orgs generally lose access to their funding over the summer. Consequently, I have to work with Events Management (or similar office) to get rooms or housing. PACE has certain advantages in that we are non-profit, but that also means we don't always have the funds to get everything we want either. It's an additional period of time to process paperwork and get permissions, and it's simply a pain in the behind to do.

:chip: 's tournament only uses three game rooms because it costs a heck of a lot of money to get even one room on a college campus, more if it's in a hotel. The fact he uses their facilities time and time again means that at least the folks over at those locations know what he wants to do.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
MLafer
Rikku

Post by MLafer »

"NAQT is pleased to announce that its 2005 High School National Championship
Tournament will take place in Chicago on June 3-5, 2005."

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/quizbowl/message/15076
solonqb
Rikku

Post by solonqb »

As there is no further reason for this thread, could an admin close it?
Noah Rahman
Leo Wolpert
Wakka

Post by Leo Wolpert »

Yes. Yes I can close it.