April Tournament?

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

April Tournament?

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh »

We need to start getting the post-IHSA/pre-nationals calendar populated with tournaments. Is there any interest in a tournament on May 8th at NIU? Question sets not already used so far this year include the Ben Cooper Memorial, GSAC, and UGA sets, so there are blind options as long as they're OK with such a late mirror - we're gauging field interest before finding a set.
Last edited by Irreligion in Bangladesh on Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Brad Fischer
Head Editor, IHSA State Series
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Northern Illinois University ('10)
Assistant Coach, IMSA (2010-12)
Coach, Keith Country Day School (2012-16)
jonah
Auron

Re: May Tournament?

Post by jonah »

5/15 is probably better for many people, including me, since 5/9 is mothers' day. Assuming I can get out to NIU, I would staff on either of those days or most others, and heartily endorse the idea of tournaments after IHSA State whether I can make it or not.
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

I'll also note that the 15th is after AP testing.
Brad Fischer
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Edward Elric
Tidus

Post by Edward Elric »

I'd also be able to staff in May if you need help.
Mike Perovanovic
University of Ill.-Chicago '13
Wheaton North '09
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

The Midwest Championship at Culver is May 15. Of course, you can still use the date if you want to because it would save several teams several hours of driving, but that is a good chance for good Illinois teams to hopefully play some good Indiana, Michigan, and Ohio teams.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

Oh yeah, if a marquee Illinois tournament takes the same date as Culver does again, Blessman will quite rightly blow his top. Teams should go to the Midwest Championship, and another tournament in the couple of weeks before.
Jonah Greenthal
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

jonah wrote:Oh yeah, if a marquee Illinois tournament takes the same date as Culver does again, Blessman will quite rightly blow his top. Teams should go to the Midwest Championship, and another tournament in the couple of weeks before.
Confirm - there's absolutely no reason to compete with Culver here, so we're pretty much looking at just the 8th. (Earlier doesn't work for us; later runs into graduation/nationals)

Can the Midwest Championship be put on the IHSSBCA tournament central calendar?
Brad Fischer
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

Beussink v. Woodland wrote:Can the Midwest Championship be put on the IHSSBCA tournament central calendar?
Good call; you must've had five bars. Done.
Jonah Greenthal
Dan-Don
Yuna

Post by Dan-Don »

I'm down for playing on 5/8. Since there's more than one set available, someone should host an April tournament too.
Dan Donohue, Saint Viator ('10), Northwestern ('14), NAQT
Boeing X-20, Please!
Rikku

Post by Boeing X-20, Please! »

Dan-Don wrote:I'm down for playing on 5/8. Since there's more than one set available, someone should host an April tournament too.
Yes, this would be cool as would an April tournament. I'd come to this whether or not Loyola does Brad.
Nolan Winkler
Loyola Academy '12
UChicago '16
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

The Loyola Quiz Bowl Team...ahem...will graciously consider both April and May tournaments (I've already said we would go to Culver if it pans out).
David Riley
Coach Emeritus, Loyola Academy, Wilmette, Illinois, 1993-2010
Steering Committee, IHSSBCA, 1996 -
Member, PACE, 2012 -

"This is 1183, of course we're barbarians" -- Eleanor of Aquitaine in "The Lion in Winter"
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

Post by Blackboard Monitor Vimes »

Beussink v. Woodland wrote:We need to start getting the post-IHSA/pre-nationals calendar populated with tournaments. Is there any interest in a tournament on May 8th at NIU? Question sets not already used so far this year include the Ben Cooper Memorial, GSAC, and UGA sets, so there are blind options as long as they're OK with such a late mirror - we're gauging field interest before finding a set.
We'd love another mirror, so the late date would be fine with us.
Sam L,
Maggie L. Walker Governor's School 2010 / UVA 2014 / VCU School of Education 2016
PACE
Boeing X-20, Please!
Rikku

Post by Boeing X-20, Please! »

David Riley wrote:The Loyola Quiz Bowl Team...ahem...will graciously consider both April and May tournaments (I've already said we would go to Culver if it pans out).
I know you have, that's why I'm saying that if for some reason (REDACTED EXAMPLE REASONS) Loyola can't go, I would still attend.

EDIT: Redaction
Nolan Winkler
Loyola Academy '12
UChicago '16
Kanga-Rat Murder Society
Wakka

Post by Kanga-Rat Murder Society »

Wisconsin hosts a spring tournament every year, and this year it will probably be on April 17th. It will be using NAQT questions. If teams are looking for a place to practice on NAQT questions before HSNCT, or are looking for a place that will let them play without school affiliation, I would strongly encourage you to come up here. Our fall tournament went very well, with us finishing eleven rounds around 4:30 with an hour break for lunch. I would expect the same this time around.

Madison is located pretty close to the Illinois quizbowl community, being a one hour drive from Rockford, a two hour drive from Buffalo Grove, and a three hour drive from Downtown Chicago. I'll probably post an announcement sometime soon, but if you are interested, you can e-mail me at [email protected].
Nicholas Bergeon
Buffalo Grove High School '09
UW-Madison '12
WUSTL Law'15
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

I may be willing to staff this hypothetical tournament, depending on the date.
abnormal abdomen
Rikku

Post by abnormal abdomen »

jonah wrote:Oh yeah, if a marquee Illinois tournament takes the same date as Culver does again, Blessman will quite rightly blow his top. Teams should go to the Midwest Championship, and another tournament in the couple of weeks before.
This is what I was thinking almost right away.

I'm not entirely sure if Ms. Greene plans on taking part in this (for the obvious reason of her probably not knowing about it yet). I would think that Auburn would be interested, but funding may or may not be an issue.

Edit: Clarity
Abid Haseeb
Auburn High School '12
Brown University '16
Writer, HSAPQ
Writer, NAQT
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Re: April Tournament?

And May 8th is out - NIU graduation would take the parking lots and at least 2 staffers. April it is - any preferences for a Saturday? I've already heard enough that 4/10 and 4/17 are out, so it's the 3rd or the 24th.
Brad Fischer
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
drose4prez
Lulu

Post by drose4prez »

I'd be interested in this. I'll try to get some teammates for this, but if I can't, I'll probably still go. It'd be cool if we could use a set with power marks since both nats use them(and they're more fun) although I don't know which(if any) of the 3 sets mentioned above have powers.
Kevin
SHS '11
jdeliverer
Rikku

Post by jdeliverer »

I'd have to check interest, but this sounds great. It'd be sweet to get more good quizbowl experience after the Masonic/IHSA double whammy. If the cost were reasonable and others aren't interested, I'd cover it.
Robert Volgman
Brown '14
Latin School of Chicago '10
Aaron Goldfein
Wakka

Post by Aaron Goldfein »

Niles West is interested in hosting a tournament in late March / early April. Would any teams/individuals be interested in this, and if so, which dates specifically would and would not work?
Aaron Goldfein
Niles West ('10)
Carnegie Mellon ('14)
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

Under IHSA rules, this has to be a 4-on-4 tournament as IHSA-style tournaments are not permitted after the State Series.

We might be interested, if we're available on the date and pending the questions used.
David Riley
Coach Emeritus, Loyola Academy, Wilmette, Illinois, 1993-2010
Steering Committee, IHSSBCA, 1996 -
Member, PACE, 2012 -

"This is 1183, of course we're barbarians" -- Eleanor of Aquitaine in "The Lion in Winter"
CometCoach72
Wakka

Post by CometCoach72 »

Any date after May 3 would work for me to moderate, staff, and/or be an incredbily annoying presence depending on this tournament's location. After the grad school semester is finished on the aformentioned date, life will be much better. :party:

Heads up also to you super-early birders for Fall 2010; again, depending on location and date, I will be much more available to participate with my team and/or help.
Jay Winter
Greenville HS (IL) Scholastic Bowl Coach and Chief UN Translator for Math
Decatur MacArthur Class of 1990 - Illinois State Class of 1994 - MS Ed SIU Edwardsville 2010
Harley-Davidson owner since 2009
Fan of Good Questions
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

All right, announcement is coming in a few minutes. Hope this'll make up for Masonics!
Brad Fischer
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

I am thinking of having the next IHSSBCA Steering Committee cybermeeting on May 8. If anybody is planning on playing/moderating/hosting quizbowl on that date, stop me soon.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)