ACF Regionals West (2/20/10) at Irvine

Old college threads.
cvdwightw
Auron

ACF Regionals West (2/20/10) at Irvine

Post by cvdwightw »

UC Irvine will host the West Regional for ACF Regionals 2010. Everything you need to know about ACF Regionals is either here or here, but to recap, if anyone on your team played college quizbowl before September 1, 2008, you need to send a packet to [email protected] sometime before February 14 if you want to play, and the fees are as follows:

Base fee: $120
Buzzer system: -$5 each
Staffers: -$10 each
Laptops: -$5 each, max 1 per team
Travel: -$10 for traveling over 200 miles one way, -$20 for over 400, etc.
International: -$20
New ACF teams: -$25
New quizbowl teams: -$75
High School teams: -$50
Minimum: $0

Travel back in time to send in a packet by December 27 and receive $50 off the base fee, or get a packet in by Sunday for -$25 (-$50 if you're nice and write us a packet though you didn't have to). January 24, January 31, and February 14 are the -$0, +$25, and +$50 dates.

Questions such as "What is the target difficulty of this tournament?" or "Should I submit my awesome question on trout tickling?" should go to [email protected]. Questions like "Where and when do we show up for this tournament?" or "What is there to do in Irvine on a Saturday night, anyway?" should go to [email protected]. If you can't figure out where your question goes, send it to me at [email protected] and I'll forward it to the Regionals account if I can't answer it.

Registrations should also go to me at [email protected] and should include the names of the packet authors associated with that team and whether your team is Division 1, Division 1 Undergrad (all undergrads, at least one of which has attended ACF Nationals before), or Division 2 (all undergrads, none of whom has attended ACF Nationals before). Even if you sign up in this thread, confirm it via e-mail to me.

More information (like a field update and a meeting location/time) to come later. Expect this tournament to start a little bit on the late side, because I'm going to try to put in a buffer for the inevitable problems that the Irvine Scheduling Department causes, but that also means that we're going to be starting when it's time to start regardless of what time you think you ought to show up.
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org
UC Irvine 2008-2013; UCLA 2004-2007; Capistrano Valley High School 2000-2003

"It's a competition, but it's not a sport. On a scale, if football is a 10, then rowing would be a two. One would be Quiz Bowl." --Matt Birk on rowing, SI On Campus, 10/21/03

"If you were my teammate, I would have tossed your ass out the door so fast you'd be emitting Cerenkov radiation, but I'm not classy like Dwight." --Jerry
Auroni
Auron

Re: ACF Regionals West (2/20/10) at Irvine

Post by Auroni »

UCSD is sending one team to this. We'll bring one buzzer system.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
Sun Devil Student
Rikku

Post by Sun Devil Student »

Sorry for not telling you earlier, I was under the impression that it was too early to declare teams, and now the two-week deadline has snuck up on me.

ASU's delegation will consist of most likely 3 (possibly 4) teams, all but one of which are baby seals. As their mother seal, I hereby request all other teams at this tournament to club my baby seals as hard as you can. Club the mother seal, too.

Seriously, the ASU D2 players who were able to attend ACF Winter benefited tremendously from being mercilessly crushed, so you guys won't be doing us any favors by playing conservatively when you're up by 300. Keep laying it on! :)
Kenneth Lan, ASU '11, '12, UIC '17
The University of Illinois at Chicago
-stranger in a strange land (2013-)
The Sonoran Desert quizbowl ecosystem
-activist/advocate (2010-2013)
The Arizona State University Quizbowl Club
-elder statesman (2011-2013)
-coach (2009-2011)
-club president (2008-2011)
-founder (2007-)
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

Tentative Field Update:

UCSD x1
Stanford x?
ASU x3-4

If we get the rooms I'm hoping for, expect to show up in Humanities Hall 178 at around 9:00. We will begin play at 9:30 or whenever we end up getting into the rooms, whichever is earlier.

I've also had a request to shorten the lunch break so that people can get in more quizbowl before they have to leave. My tentative solution to this is to explore options for getting food delivered to campus, thus allowing the tournament to continue after a ~30 minute lunch break. Discussions of what kind of food options I should look into should go in this thread.
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org

"It's a competition, but it's not a sport. On a scale, if football is a 10, then rowing would be a two. One would be Quiz Bowl." --Matt Birk on rowing, SI On Campus, 10/21/03

"If you were my teammate, I would have tossed your ass out the door so fast you'd be emitting Cerenkov radiation, but I'm not classy like Dwight." --Jerry
rylltraka
Tidus

Post by rylltraka »

If someone hasn't let you know, UCLA submitted a packet and should send at least one team.
Mik Larsen
USC '08, UCLA '14
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

Apparently sending a reminder to qb-westcoast awakens teams from their slumber!

Field update:
UCSD x1 D1
Stanford x?
Arizona State x3-4 D2
Claremont x1 D2
UCLA x1 D1 and possibly 1 D2
BYU x1 D2
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org

Sun Devil Student
Rikku

cvdwightw wrote:Apparently sending a reminder to qb-westcoast awakens teams from their slumber!

Field update:
UCSD x1 D1
Stanford x?
Arizona State x3-4 D2
Claremont x1 D2
UCLA x1 D1 and possibly 1 D2
BYU x1 D2
Wait, BYU has a team!?

Where were you guys when ACUI was frantically looking for teams to fill the Region 13 SCT?!

If there's some miracle whereby you guys can come down to Tempe this weekend, you are welcome at our SCT, but I'm realistic enough to expect otherwise. If BYU is a newly formed club, I definitely look forward to meeting them. Maybe we'll have some common experiences with slow bureaucracy and long journeys and all that.

Also, one of ASU's teams is a D1 team (1 grad student), although the others are as D2 as you can possibly get.
-coach (2009-2011)
-founder (2007-)
Alejandro
Wakka

Post by Alejandro »

I misread the ACF eligibility rules; we're actually a DI team. Sorry about that.
Alejandro
Naperville Central '07
Harvey Mudd '11
University of Washington '17
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

Alejandro wrote:I misread the ACF eligibility rules; we're actually a DI team. Sorry about that.
I'm assuming D1 Undergrad, or do you have random people from Claremont grad schools too?
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org

Alejandro
Wakka

Post by Alejandro »

DI undergrad.
Alejandro
Naperville Central '07
Harvey Mudd '11
University of Washington '17
Sun Devil Student
Rikku

cvdwightw wrote:We will begin play at 9:30 or whenever we end up getting into the rooms, whichever is earlier.
Wait, so if we don't get into the rooms by 9:30, we'll start playing in the hallway? That could be interesting.

Also:

1) ASU is down to three teams (1 D1, 2 D2), and if we can't get a third driver, will have to either shrink down to 2 teams or rent a car (and we're already under financial duress, but I will not leave anyone behind if I can help it)

2) Would anyone here (in the Irvine/LA area) be able to accommodate some ASU team members for that Friday and Saturday night? Our student government won't even decide if they're giving us any money until this Friday and it may be too late to get (affordable) hotel rooms by then. We would only do this as a very last resort, not many of us appear to have friends in the Irvine area (that can take us in, anyway) so I'm now reduced to asking strangers for help in case we have nowhere else to go.

Thanks very much!
-coach (2009-2011)
-founder (2007-)
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

I can fit like 2, maybe 3 people in my dorm room at UCLA if you want, just bring a sleeping bag or something to sleep on. I'll ask around at practice tomorrow if anyone has space if you want.
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
Joe Romersa
Rikku

Post by Joe Romersa »

Sun Devil Student wrote: 2) Would anyone here (in the Irvine/LA area) be able to accommodate some ASU team members for that Friday and Saturday night? Our student government won't even decide if they're giving us any money until this Friday and it may be too late to get (affordable) hotel rooms by then. We would only do this as a very last resort, not many of us appear to have friends in the Irvine area (that can take us in, anyway) so I'm now reduced to asking strangers for help in case we have nowhere else to go.
Thanks very much!
Have you tried bidding for hotels on websites like Priceline? Its cheaper, and you kind of have to bid last minute to get rooms.
Alex Wang
Arcadia High '10
UCLA '14 or so
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

Sun Devil Student wrote:
cvdwightw wrote:We will begin play at 9:30 or whenever we end up getting into the rooms, whichever is earlier.
Wait, so if we don't get into the rooms by 9:30, we'll start playing in the hallway? That could be interesting.
Worst case scenario the place that screws up our room reservations opens at 10:00 and we can fix things then (assuming, of course, that we don't lose our room reservation sheet, which has happened at least once before).
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org

Sun Devil Student
Rikku

I am saddened to inform you that ASU has dropped to two teams for this tournament, neither of which is ASU A. Several members had schedule conflicts (including two A-team members), and our unquestioned best D2 player is only willing to attend if the cost is below $30 (we'll find out about this tomorrow from our student government). This means 9-10 players, and 2 vehicles (one, for sure, is my own).

If one of our members can't get permission to use his parents' car, we will have to rent a car, at substantial expense. But sometimes, that's how it goes.
-coach (2009-2011)
-founder (2007-)
Sun Devil Student
Rikku

To Ian from UCLA (and any other kind souls who were planning to offer help): We got hotel rooms near the airport, so I don't think we need to beg floor space from you guys anymore, but thanks very much for offering anyway.

Confirmed: 2 teams from ASU, all D2 because our graduate student couldn't come. We'll be broke or nearly so, and would appreciate any food provided, but will understand if this is not possible.

Looking forward to the tournament.
-coach (2009-2011)
-founder (2007-)
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

cvdwightw wrote:Field update:
UCSD x1 D1
Stanford x1 D1
Arizona State x2 D2
Claremont x1 D1 Undergrad
UCLA x1 D1
BYU x1 D2
7 is a really good number to have (we'd do our best to run as much of a double RR as possible in a reasonable time), and 8 is a really poor number to have, so unless I get a flurry of two teams that both want to come I'm declaring registration closed.
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org

tkpatel
Lulu

Post by tkpatel »

UCLA is bringing a D2 team as well.
Tirth Patel
BS UCLA '11
MD, PhD Washington University in St. Louis School of Medicine '20
Sun Devil Student
Rikku

cvdwightw wrote:7 is a really good number to have (we'd do our best to run as much of a double RR as possible in a reasonable time), and 8 is a really poor number to have
Wait, why is 7 better than 8? Don't both take the same number of rounds/packets, and with 7 teams there would have to be bye rounds?

Not that the ASU baby seals wouldn't appreciate the break, but I thought it was standard practice to avoid byes when possible. Either way, the double RR would be 14 rounds plus finals...right?
-coach (2009-2011)
-founder (2007-)
Susan
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Susan »

Sun Devil Student wrote:
cvdwightw wrote:7 is a really good number to have (we'd do our best to run as much of a double RR as possible in a reasonable time), and 8 is a really poor number to have
Wait, why is 7 better than 8? Don't both take the same number of rounds/packets, and with 7 teams there would have to be bye rounds?

Not that the ASU baby seals wouldn't appreciate the break, but I thought it was standard practice to avoid byes when possible. Either way, the double RR would be 14 rounds plus finals...right?
Some teams attending this tournament have submitted packets. Avoiding byes will not be possible, and single byes are preferable to double byes.
Susan
UChicago alum (AB 2003, PhD 2009)
Member emerita, ACF
Sun Devil Student
Rikku

myamphigory wrote:
Sun Devil Student wrote:

Some teams attending this tournament have submitted packets. Avoiding byes will not be possible, and single byes are preferable to double byes.
Ok, that makes sense.
-coach (2009-2011)
-founder (2007-)
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

Sun Devil Student wrote:baby seals
Having never seen the ASU team in person, I am forced to conclude that it is made up of actual seals.
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

Yes, UCLA will have a single DII team consisting of me and Henry and possibly one of our freshman recruits that hasn't shown up to anything yet in addition to the DI team (Ray, Mik, Tirth, someone else I think, not sure who).
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

After a full round robin followed by a four-four split and a bracketed round robin, Stanford (Andrew, Kristiaan, Brian, Tony) emerged undefeated to win ACF Regionals West. UCLA A and UCSD split their games with each other and tied for second. ASU A was the D2 champion, finishing in fourth.

Prelim statistics can be found here and overall statistics can be found here.

A brief note on the stats: due to one of our staffers accidentally reading the Brown/VCU/Oklahoma packet in Round 1 instead of the Yale A/Miami B packet, two rooms were read the Stanford packet instead of the Brown/VCU/Oklahoma packet in Round 7, and the other two were read Brown/VCU/Oklahoma as scheduled. The three games played on the Brown et al packet are listed as "Round 11," even though they occurred in two different rounds. Since Round Report doesn't seem to handle non-consecutive round numbers well, Round Report doesn't exist for the Prelims, but you can find Prelims Round Report on the Overall stats.
Last edited by cvdwightw on Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org

Charbroil
Auron

Post by Charbroil »

cvdwightw wrote: Prelim statistics can be found here and overall statistics can be found here.
Those links appear to be the same?
Charles Hang
Francis Howell Central '09
St. Charles Community College '14
Washington University in St. Louis '19, 2x (President, 2017-19)

Owner, Olympia Academic Competition Questions, LLC
Question Writer, National Academic Quiz Tournaments, LLC and National History Bee and Bowl
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

Charbroil wrote:
cvdwightw wrote: Prelim statistics can be found here and overall statistics can be found here.
Those links appear to be the same?
Should be fixed now.
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org

cchiego
Yuna

Post by cchiego »

Great hosting job by Irvine. Enjoyable to not have to drive too far for good quizbowl and nice to see teams from fairly far away making the trek. Major props too for BYU for coming all the way out to play on legit questions and for having an excellent attitude of "how can we get better?" in addition to being easygoing and friendly. Hope they continue to improve and can make their way to more tournaments in the future.
Chris C.
Past: UGA/UCSD/Penn
Present: Solano County, CA