IHSA Sectional assignments are (finally) up

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
the return of AHAN
Auron

IHSA Sectional assignments are (finally) up

Post by the return of AHAN »

The IESA has posted sectional assignments here. Those regionals occur on the last week of April.

Given the IHSA tournament is < 5 weeks away, shouldn't they, oh, I don't know... POST THEIRS ALREADY?

(now that I've said, they'll be up within hours. You can thank me later.)

EDIT: Apparently, Ron McGraw has an exquisite sense of timing... less than 19 minutes later, the IHSA posts theirs. :grin:
Oh, and you're welcome, David.
Last edited by the return of AHAN on Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach (2021 & 2023 HSNCT Champions, 2023 PACE Champions, 2023 Illinois Masonic Bowl Class 3A State Champions)
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stained Diviner
Auron

Re: IESA Sectional assignments are up...IHSA? Not so much...

Post by Stained Diviner »

David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
CometCoach72
Wakka

Re: IESA Sectional assignments are up..IHSA (edit: at long last)

Post by CometCoach72 »

Looks like a lot of the same assignments from last year remain intact; I can only speak for the 3 Class A Sectionals that are around my area; I think the Fairfield Sectional field looks almost school for school the same as last year.

Good luck everyone.
Jay Winter
Greenville HS (IL) Scholastic Bowl Coach and Chief UN Translator for Math
Decatur MacArthur Class of 1990 - Illinois State Class of 1994 - MS Ed SIU Edwardsville 2010
Harley-Davidson owner since 2009
Fan of Good Questions
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

My predictions:
Class A
Fairfield: Greenville
Carlinville: Litchfield
Peoria Christian: PORTA
Warrensburg-Latham: no idea
Winnebago: almost no idea, but maybe Stillman Valley
Herrin: no idea
Macomb: no idea
Dwight: Lisle

Class AA
Libertyville: Stevenson (other regionals winners, assuming they're in separate regionals: Buffalo Grove, Fremd, Libertyville)
Maine South: St. Ignatius (other regionals winners, assuming they're in separate regionals: Loyola, New Trier, OPRF)
Mattoon: Carbondale
Dunlap: Springfield
Marist: no idea
WWS: WWS (other regionals winners, assuming they're in separate regionals: IMSA, Naperville Central, Wheaton North)
B-B: Centennial
Auburn: Auburn

These questions should be interesting, in one way or another.
Last edited by jonah on Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
Dan-Don
Yuna

Post by Dan-Don »

jonah wrote: Libertyville: Stevenson (other regionals winners, assuming they're in separate regionals: Barrington, Buffalo Grove, Libertyville)
I expect crazy things to happen at this seeding meeting, what with Viator, Fremd, and Deerfield. Someone is gonna get screwed. At least the only team that truly belongs downstate (Stevenson) should make it. The same can't be said of:
jonah wrote:Maine South: St. Ignatius (other regionals winners, assuming they're in separate regionals: Loyola, New Trier, OPRF)
*Shakes head sadly* I guess a little sectional boundary-shifting was too much to ask for, IHSA.

EDIT: Since Jonah didn't understand, I'll explain. I just thought that maybe the IHSA would have realized that the Maine South sectional is always a sectional of death and then have done some gerrymandering. But, as Jonah reminded me, the IHSA likes the unfairness that comes with geographic sectionals.
Last edited by Dan-Don on Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dan Donohue, Saint Viator ('10), Northwestern ('14), NAQT
the return of AHAN
Auron

You really expect them to pay attention to the balance of power in scobowl? Surely you jest, Dan. I think Jonah is a little biased (against KP) as, while our team is decent, we can't really expect a seed ahead of Fremd if we can't beat them. But I'll try to make a case for us earning a seed given our quarterfinal showing at the Fremd Tournament. I put the probability of us hosting at < 40%.

EDIT: to clarify bias statement
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach (2021 & 2023 HSNCT Champions, 2023 PACE Champions, 2023 Illinois Masonic Bowl Class 3A State Champions)
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

Woody Paige wrote:You really expect them to pay attention to the balance of power in scobowl? Surely you jest, Dan. I think Jonah is a little biased as, while our team is decent, we can't really expect a seed ahead of Fremd if we can't beat them. But I'll try to make a case for us earning a seed given our quarterfinal showing at the Fremd Tournament. I put the probability of us hosting at < 40%.
Aw, crap. I forgot about Fremd because they're listed as "Palatine (Fremd)" rather than "Fremd". If this were good quizbowl, I'd probably put Barrington ahead of Fremd, but with all the computation, they're probably "better" than you. Updating my post momentarily.
Jonah Greenthal
mrgsmath
Wakka

Post by mrgsmath »

jonah wrote:My predictions:
Class A
i would favor W/L and Macomb at there respective Sectionals. But Peoria Christian is always tough and the team that took 4th place last year is the team that will compete this year. (Last year their Senior Starters all went on Mission trips the day after Sectionals and did not compete at state, they played their second string) i am not dissing my own team, we are fully capable, but I never take anyone for granted, particularly in this Sectional which has some quality programs.
Mark Grant
Coach - PORTA H.S.
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you always got ."
CometCoach72
Wakka

Post by CometCoach72 »

jonah wrote:My predictions:
Class A

These questions should be interesting, in one way or another.

Thanks Jonah...no pressure. :shock: Seriously, I appreciate your confidence- but we have work to do in order to pull that off and get to Peoria. As you and I have already discussed, the Regional Round is quite the challenge. I think there are about six teams that could potentially win our sectional. I'm still puzzled as to how they draw the geographical lines. I feel awful because there's going to be some great teams that miss out on the chance to go to Finals. (See 2009 Marissa)

I'm going to avoid making predictions of any kind, it will bite me in the rear most likely. That having been said, Carterville is the best team I've seen south of us, and I would think Macomb would be a good candidate to come out of their sectional. Don't sleep on New Berlin (wherever they are), they have a student who is an amazing player (Aaron). From Central IL on south, I think you can chalk up the usual suspects such as Warrensburg-Latham, Litchfield and PORTA. Litchfield is scary good.
Jay Winter
Greenville HS (IL) Scholastic Bowl Coach and Chief UN Translator for Math
Decatur MacArthur Class of 1990 - Illinois State Class of 1994 - MS Ed SIU Edwardsville 2010
Harley-Davidson owner since 2009
Fan of Good Questions
mlaird
Tidus

Re: IHSA Sectional assignments are (finally) up

Post by mlaird »

Following this announcement, the IHSSBCA has made All-Sectional/All-State nomination forms available on its website.
Nomination form
Rules & Procedures

If you are interested in being an All-State selector representing your sectional, please contact me at <<mlaird1 -at- gmail.com>> for info. I already have selectors from the Rockford (Auburn) and Warrensburg (W.-Latham) sectionals. Any others are still available.

EDIT: new URLs
Last edited by mlaird on Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kanga-Rat Murder Society
Wakka

Post by Kanga-Rat Murder Society »

mlaird wrote:Following this announcement, the IHSSBCA has made All-Sectional/All-State nomination forms available on its website.
Nomination form
Rules & Procedures

If you are interested in being an All-State selector representing your sectional, please contact me at <<mlaird1 -at- gmail.com>> for info. I already have selectors from the Rockford (Auburn) and Warrensburg (W.-Latham) sectionals. Any others are still available.
On this note, has anybody discussed the nomination of Dan Donohue? It would really be a shame if he did not get All State because of his desire to play good quizbowl.
Nicholas Bergeon
Buffalo Grove High School '09
UW-Madison '12
WUSTL Law'15
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

BG MSL Champs wrote:On this note, has anybody discussed the nomination of Dan Donohue? It would really be a shame if he did not get All State because of his desire to play good quizbowl.
It is being attended to.
Jonah Greenthal
Dan-Don
Yuna

Post by Dan-Don »

jonah wrote:
BG MSL Champs wrote:On this note, has anybody discussed the nomination of Dan Donohue? It would really be a shame if he did not get All State because of his desire to play good quizbowl.
It is being attended to.
It is? Cool!

As a general question to anyone with information (I'm looking at you, members of the cabal), how legitimate could the state series be this year? Stupid IHSA format and categories aside, will there be a general increase in pyramidality and quality of answer selection?
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

(redacted)
Last edited by jonah on Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jonah Greenthal
Stained Diviner
Auron

Actually, it's not a good idea for you to share anything at this point other than with other members of the cabal (of which I am not a member), even with people who are not playing in the tournament. Teams should prepare for the State Series with the same amount of information. It's fair to say that the Head Editor is the same, that the writing staff has some continuity and some turnover, that the format is the same, that the categories have improved in a minor way specified in the IHSA Rules, and not much else.

I can honestly state that I don't know whether the questions will be better this year than they were last year. Jonah, who is in the cabal, knows a lot more than I do, and it's going to stay that way as long as my team is still alive in the tournament.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
Boeing X-20, Please!
Rikku

Post by Boeing X-20, Please! »

matt laird's form wrote: Be as complete as possible; indicate estimates with an *asterisk. The more complete and honest you are, the better we
will be able to process this application. Include statistics for all Scholastic Bowl or quizbowl competitions, except the
following: solo tournaments (e.g. New Trier Scobol Solo), subject-specific events (e.g. Science Bowl, VIOLATEDD
literature singles, Trashtastrophe), frosh/soph tournaments, novice tournaments, and junior varsity tournaments.
Does this mean college tournaments are fair game since we're talking all quizbowl here and not just scholastic bowl?
Nolan Winkler
Loyola Academy '12
UChicago '16
Stained Diviner
Auron

It basically does, though there is some discretion in such cases that coaches can use.

This is different than coaches reporting their team records to IHSA, which is a separate issue using a separate form. When reporting team records on the online IHSA form, coaches should only count 5-on-5 varsity matches. Coaches who attend the Seeding Meeting are allowed to mention anything they want to when making their case for their team, and I do mean anything they want to, but their official record should only include matches in which both teams had the option of using up to five students.
David Reinstein
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

(redacted)
Last edited by jonah on Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jonah Greenthal
Stained Diviner
Auron

Even for people who are not playing or coaching, it's not a very good idea. At this point, the fewer people who know, the better. In two months, everybody who wants to know will know, so you're not accomplishing any significant good by saying anything now.
David Reinstein
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

mlaird wrote:Following this announcement, the IHSSBCA has made All-Sectional/All-State nomination forms available on its website.
New links: nomination form; rules and procedures. Sorry for any inconvenience.
Jonah Greenthal
the return of AHAN
Auron

So, yeah, the seeding meeting... It looks like I'm the one who's going to this. I've never done an IHSA one. I see I get a minute to speak. IMO, it would appear I must lobby for no better than a 3 seed against Carmel, St. Viator, Buffalo Grove, Hersey (?), Highland Park (?), Rolling Meadows (?)... Am I leaving anyone out?
So, at these meetings, do people vote based on the "weighted winning percentage"? Or is it more about reputation and/or evenly distributing the sites? Our record is 23-14, with a weighted win percentage of .992, and half of our losses are to either Fremd or Stevenson. Would that be considered decent? Suggestions on what needs to be said from anyone who has attended one of these meetings?

We've split with BG... I think their potential argument to be seeded above us is predicated on the fact they were missing their top player, but so were we when they beat us. The only other one of the bunch we've played was Hersey, who we lost to in the conference tournament.... and since that time, they've been pretty middling.

EDIT: Spelling & Coherence
Jeff Price
garciaja
Lulu

Post by garciaja »

Moving Day wrote:So, yeah, the seeding meeting... It looks like I'm the one who's going to this. I've never done an IHSA one. I see I get a minute to speak. IMO, it would appear I must lobby for no better than a 3 seed against Carmel, St. Viator, Buffalo Grove, Hersey (?), Highland Park (?), Rolling Meadows (?)... Am I leaving anyone out?
So, at these meetings, do people vote based on the "weighted winning percentage"? Or is it more about reputation and/or evenly distributing the sites? Our record is 23-14, with a weighted win percentage of .992, and half of our losses are to either Fremd or Stevenson. Would that be considered decent? Suggestions on what needs to be said from anyone who has attended one of these meetings?

We've split with BG... I think their potential argument to be seeded above us is predicated on the fact they were missing their top player, but so were we when they beat us. The only other one of the bunch we've played was Hersey, who we lost to in the conference tournament.... and since that time, they've been pretty middling.

I want to echo a request for advice about the seeding meeting. Our team is in the Bradley-Bourbonnais Sectional and we've played only the teams geographically close to us. I can see that Homewood-Flossmoor has been the team out of this Sectional that has gone to state for the past couple years, but I know nothing about them this year. We are a first year team, but have a 31-11 record, and have lost to mostly AA state-ranked teams/Hobo. Should I shoot for a 1-4 seed? Do 1-4 seeds automatically get to host a Regional?
James Garcia
Champaign Centennial High School Coach
Player for Springfield Southeast '04
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

garciaja wrote:
Moving Day wrote:So, yeah, the seeding meeting... It looks like I'm the one who's going to this. I've never done an IHSA one. I see I get a minute to speak. IMO, it would appear I must lobby for no better than a 3 seed against Carmel, St. Viator, Buffalo Grove, Hersey (?), Highland Park (?), Rolling Meadows (?)... Am I leaving anyone out?

I want to echo a request for advice about the seeding meeting. Our team is in the Bradley-Bourbonnais Sectional and we've played only the teams geographically close to us. I can see that Homewood-Flossmoor has been the team out of this Sectional that has gone to state for the past couple years, but I know nothing about them this year. We are a first year team, but have a 31-11 record, and have lost to mostly AA state-ranked teams/Hobo. Should I shoot for a 1-4 seed? Do 1-4 seeds automatically get to host a Regional?
I think the top seeds are given the option to host a regional, depending on how the seeds break out. Given your varsity team's performance this year, I think you guys have earned such a seed.
Stained Diviner
Auron

Donald is correct.

At the seeding meeting, it is difficult to get coaches to break with tradition, so if your team is very different than it has been in the past, then you need to be very clear about how your team is different. It also is helpful to point out victories or close matches against elite teams and teams in the Sectional. It is not a good idea to make a general point that you play on good questions and go to good tournaments and play against good teams, since most of the other coaches will hold such a statement against you.

Also, prepare yourself. Coaches cast bad votes. It leads to uneven Regionals, and the teams that have not won in past years are usually the teams that get the bad breaks. Some of us are old enough to remember when there was no seeding at all, and it was not unusual for elite teams to go against each other in the first or second round. There were years when my team scraped through their Regional and then coasted through their Sectional. The current system is much better. It would be even better if the coaches casting votes paid attention to other team's accomplishments this year and did not show favoritism towards their own conferences, but that often does not happen.

One time, my team was in a Sectional with a bunch of North Suburban League schools and got the #5 Seed. There was only one thing on our matching tops that year--a big number 5, and we worked harder than we usually do and took out the #1 Seed and ended up 2nd in the Sectional. If the voting is unfair and goes against you, it's not necessarily such a bad thing.
David Reinstein
the return of AHAN
Auron

At kickoff, our varsity B (read: frosh-soph) nearly beat Homewood Flossmoor, taking them to the final toss-up. And they also missed the cut for the playoffs at Fremd's tournament, so it's hard for me to fathom them being good enough to go downstate again, unless they've gotten a lot better since then, or the sectional is/has been that weak. In either case, IMO, the inclusion of Centennial in their sectional will pose a serious obstacle for H-F.

EDIT: Thanks, David. I guess I need someone to be devil's advocate and explain why Viator, BG and Carmel should be ranked ahead of us.
Jeff Price
the return of AHAN
Auron

So, here are the results of the sectional seeding meeting at Libertyville...

#1) Stevenson (unanimous)
#2) Fremd (unanimous, save the Stevenson coach who couldn't vote for his own team)
#3) Buffalo Grove (94 points, named on 17 of 18 ballots)
#4) Grayslake North (83 points, named on all ballots)
#5) Lake Forest HS (74 points, named on 17 ballots)
#6) Warren (56 pts, named on 16 ballots)
#7) Lake Zurich (37 points, named on 15 ballots)
#8) Barrington (26 points, named on ONLY NINE ballots, one vote as the #3)

unseeded at #9 was Libertyville with 25 points from 14 ballots

Let’s review…
#1 Stevenson (Weighted win percentage of 1.42)
Reported a 48-8 record… excluded the 4-on-4 matches as everyone else did…. Losses to St. Ig * 2, Northmont, Loyola, and Auburn *4

#2 Fremd (WWP = 1.355)
Reported a 42-6 record… losses to OPRF, Carbondale, Detroit Central Catholic, Loyola, and Stevenson *2…and a Kaneland Tournament championship, where they beat Geneva in the championship. That tourney also included wins over Wheaton Academy, Kaneland C, Naperville North, Somonauk, Morris, Rockford Boylan, and Fenwick (semifinals)

#3 Buffalo Grove (WWP = 1.085)
Reported a record of 22-5… but proceeded to asterisk every loss (Hersey, Barrington, Wheaton Warrenville South, & Stevenson B) that occurred when Greg Ward was absent. They effectively argued they are really a 15-1 team, with only 1 legitimate loss to Loyola.

#4 Grayslake North (WWP = 1.170)
Reported a record of 13-2… Losses to Grayslake Central, 61-76 (that’s the score, really) and Deveau-less St. Ig, 158-109. Wins over Jacobs, Dundee-Crown, Cary-Grove, Lakes, Rolling Meadows, St. Viator, Maine East, Crystal Lake Central, Huntley, McHenry, Prairie Ridge, Marian Central Catholic, and Grayslake Central.

#5 Lake Forest High School (WWP = 1.048)
Reported a record of 14-1… have attend no tournaments. Only loss was to Mundelein, 145-135. In fact, of all their matches, only once have they topped 200, when they beat Round Lake, 262-5. Otherwise, they also narrowly beat Libertyville (sudden death OT), Warren by 100, and Lake Zurich, 150-90.

#6 Warren (WWP = 1.015)
For some reason, I can’t seem to locate their record sheet, but their coach really talked up how great his team is this year.

#7 Lake Zurich (WWP = 1.007)
Reported a record of 23-12, with losses to Mundelein*2, Warren*2, Lake Forest, Vernon Hills, Stevenson*2, Wheaton Warrenville South, Lisle, IMSA, Braley-Boubonnais

#8 Barrington (WWP = .992)
Reported a 23-14 record, with losses to Fremd *4, Stevenson*3, Auburn A & C , Detroit Central Catholic, Naperville Central, Buffalo Grove, Hersey (ugh), Conant (double ugh)…. Notable wins over OPRF, Maine South (but I guess they’re not as good, huh?), Lincoln Way North, Buffalo Grove, and Niles North.

Other notables…

unseeded Libertyville (WWP = 1.01)
Reported a 22-10 record, with losses to Deveau-less St. Ig, Auburn, Loyola * 2, Stevenson * 2, as well as 3 losses in the same NSC meet with Lake Forest, Warren, and Lake Zurich… I’m wondering if someone wasn’t missing that day?

Unseeded Carmel HS of Mundelein (WWP = .944)
Reported a 22-20 record. They are in a pretty tough conference and their losses are to mostly solid programs…. Though I do see a loss to Fremd B. I’d really like their chances if they get drawn into Grayslake Central’s regional.

So, with a few minor exceptions people tended to vote strictly along the lines of what the “weighted winning percentage” told them to vote. Only Buffalo Grove and Barrington managed to defy it, and, of course, it was to our detriment as we now get to drive the Lincolnshire to get our teeth kicked in if we reach the final. I should’ve kept my mouth shut and not lobbied for a seed. Then we could’ve gone to Fremd and not travel so far to lose. Plus, my team has hung with them before (230-225 at NTV), unlike Stevenson where it has never been a game.
Jeff Price
the return of AHAN
Auron

In other news... the all-sectional team that was also nominated for all-state was as follows:

1.) Kevin Malis - Stevenson
2.) Greg Ward - Buffalo Grove
3.) Arjun Puranik - Fremd
4.) Jason Lewitzke - Grayslake North
5.) Zach Blumenfeld - Stevenson
6.) Daniel Werst - Warren

Others earning all sectional awards were Zachary Moser - Antioch, Alex Yang - Lake Zurich, Norman Luc - Barrington, Natasha Mitrev - Fremd, Katie Geusz - Carmel, Peter Smith - Carmel, Tony Russo - Carmel, Nicole Kosante - Lakes, Ryan Gutschick - Palatine ... I'm sure there were some really worthy kids left out, but alas, their coaches didn't either come to the seeding meeting at all or pulled the old drop-step as soon as the seeds were decided.
Jeff Price
Geringer
Rikku

Post by Geringer »

I don't want to be like "OMG LAKE ZURICH GOT SHAFTED," but I watched that team at Turnabout. They're not going to beat any top-notch teams, but they were surprisingly good and quick on the buzzer. Ranking a team ahead of them who has attended no tournaments is really...well...it's the IHSA.
R. Jeffrey Geringer
Saint Viator '09
Illinois '13, '14
Edward Elric
Tidus

Post by Edward Elric »

Halakis wrote:I don't want to be like "OMG LAKE ZURICH GOT SHAFTED," but I watched that team at Turnabout. They're not going to beat any top-notch teams, but they were surprisingly good and quick on the buzzer. Ranking a team ahead of them who has attended no tournaments is really...well...it's the IHSA.
Yeah I was moderating for a match when they played Glenbard North and over the set of questions I had both teams combine to power about 1/3 of the questions. Jeff is right in saying they are quick.

ALSO MY 100th POST!!!! :party: My soul has officially been sold to HSQB. :lol:
Mike Perovanovic
University of Ill.-Chicago '13
Wheaton North '09
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Post by Mechanical Beasts »

Springfield Grade Road wrote:ALSO MY 100th POST!!!! :party: My soul has officially been sold to HSQB. :lol:
Whatever the status of your soul, don't make "this post is [milestone] for [this thread, me, you, Papa Roach]" posts.
Andrew Watkins
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

According to Sharon Lorinskas, the seeds for Mattoon (AA) are as follows:
1. Chatham Glenwood
2. Carbondale
3. Belleville Althoff
4. O'Fallon
5. Charleston
6. Highland
7. Mattoon
8. Taylorville

The Maine South (AA) sectional, by the way, had its seeding meeting moved to tomorrow because the Maine Township schools were off today.
Jonah Greenthal
Edward Elric
Tidus

Post by Edward Elric »

jonah wrote:According to Sharon Lorinskas, the seeds for Mattoon (AA) are as follows:
1. Chatham Glenwood
2. Carbondale
:roll:
Mike Perovanovic
University of Ill.-Chicago '13
Wheaton North '09
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

Springfield Grade Road wrote:
jonah wrote:According to Sharon Lorinskas, the seeds for Mattoon (AA) are as follows:
1. Chatham Glenwood
2. Carbondale
:roll:
Well, one of those teams probably has a fair number of losses, and the other very few. The meaning of the fact that Carbondale's losses are all to excellent upstate teams is completely lost on coaches who can't tell a good team from a part of their body that would get me banned for posting it in the high school section.

To be fair, none of us (including Ms. Lorinskas) has seen Glenwood play. They surely don't suck; perhaps they're actually good. They put up 18.14 PPB on the morning rounds of the WUHSAC set, the fourth highest amount after Ransom Everglades A, Helias A, and Fort Zumwalt West A. That's respectable, certainly, though it's hard to judge without having seen the set.
Jonah Greenthal
Geringer
Rikku

Post by Geringer »

I've seen Glenwood play. They were good (I saw them score something like 400 on an IS set) but they're certainly not better than Carbondale. In the same tune as LZ, they were piling up tons of early buzzes and impressed me the most of the field I saw at Springfield.
R. Jeffrey Geringer
Saint Viator '09
Illinois '13, '14
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

They put up 18.14 PPB on the morning rounds of the WUHSAC set
No they didn't, Wash U uses rebounds and doesn't fix their statistics ever.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

Katamari Damacy wrote:
Oh, okay, thanks. Do they post their sets ever?
Jonah Greenthal
the return of AHAN
Auron

1. Chatham Glenwood
2. Carbondale
What a joke. But I know who'll get the last laugh.
Jeff Price
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

Moving Day wrote:
1. Chatham Glenwood
2. Carbondale
What a joke. But I know who'll get the last laugh.
No you don't. This is the IHSA.
Dresden_The_BIG_JERK
Tidus

Post by Dresden_The_BIG_JERK »

Other results? When should things be up on IHSA?
BJ Houlding

Winnebago '04
Saint Joseph's College '08
IHSSBCA Certified Moderator
Stained Diviner
Auron

IHSA probably will show the seeds when they post the Regional Assignments, which will be in about two weeks.
David Reinstein
Dan-Don
Yuna

Post by Dan-Don »

I'm still in shock over that Libertyville seeding. I think Libertyville, Carmel, Barrington, and Viator all got shafted (in decreasing order of how much said team got shafted). Although...I do think we could see these teams (except Barrington, obviously :sad: ) emerge from their Regionals depending on where they get sent.

I find the results from Mattoon less disturbing. Let Glenwood be happy with their so-so p/b from WUHSAC--it's not going to affect the outcome of that sectional. I think Ms. Lorinskas did a classy thing by just dealing with a #2 seed and not arguing the matter.

I'm eagerly awaiting the results from the other sectional of death tonight. I don't see them screwing up:
1. Ignatius
2. Loyola
3. OPRF

but I predict shenanigans with the rest of the seeds. That is, I think New Trier, the Niles with Isa Domin, Fenton, and Maine South deserve seeds 4-7, but W-L records might cause silly coaches to vote erroneously.
Wackford Squeers
Wakka

Post by Wackford Squeers »

I was ranked second on the all sectional team, after Gabe Orlet from Belleville Althoff. Other news includes general disgruntlement with the wacko Masonic format. Also, even coaches down here are balking at the quality of QG, and a few of them even mentioned preferring NAQT.
Ben Chametzky
University of Chicago, 2016
Carbondale Community High School, 2012
IHSSBCA High School Liaison 2011-2012
Dresden_The_BIG_JERK
Tidus

Post by Dresden_The_BIG_JERK »

Chametz wrote:Other news includes general disgruntlement with the wacko Masonic format. Also, even coaches down here are balking at the quality of QG, and a few of them even mentioned preferring NAQT.
Nice!
BJ Houlding

Winnebago '04
Saint Joseph's College '08
IHSSBCA Certified Moderator
Dan-Don
Yuna

Post by Dan-Don »

Chametz wrote:I was ranked second on the all sectional team, after Gabe Orlet from Belleville Althoff.
This...is...NOT...Jeopardy! I mean what the heck, were Gabe's stats that impressive?
Charbroil
Auron

Post by Charbroil »

jonah wrote:
Katamari Damacy wrote:
Oh, okay, thanks. Do they post their sets ever?
I'm working on making this happen.
Charles Hang
Francis Howell Central '09
St. Charles Community College '14
Washington University in St. Louis '19, 2x (President, 2017-19)

Owner, Olympia Academic Competition Questions, LLC
Question Writer, National Academic Quiz Tournaments, LLC and National History Bee and Bowl
garciaja
Lulu

Post by garciaja »

In the Bradley Bourbannais Sectional:
1. B-B
2. Champaign Centennial
3. Homewood-Flossmoor
4. Lincoln-Way North

All-Sectional
1. Brian Ginn (B-B)
2. Chris Olsen (CC)
3. Nat (unsure of school)

As far as Glenwood goes, I'm sure their record was great. They are a great team, and utterly dominated us twice. Don't underestimate Glenwood simply because they haven't played up North.
James Garcia
Champaign Centennial High School Coach
Player for Springfield Southeast '04
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

James, congrats on your 2nd seed!!!! :party:
David Riley
Coach Emeritus, Loyola Academy, Wilmette, Illinois, 1993-2010
Steering Committee, IHSSBCA, 1996 -
Member, PACE, 2012 -

"This is 1183, of course we're barbarians" -- Eleanor of Aquitaine in "The Lion in Winter"
Boeing X-20, Please!
Rikku

Post by Boeing X-20, Please! »

David Riley wrote:James, congrats on your 2nd seed!!!! :party:
Care to share our sectional's seeds?
Nolan Winkler
Loyola Academy '12
UChicago '16
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

Egan will post them here in about twenty minutes (sectional host's perogative(.
David Riley
Coach Emeritus, Loyola Academy, Wilmette, Illinois, 1993-2010
Steering Committee, IHSSBCA, 1996 -
Member, PACE, 2012 -

"This is 1183, of course we're barbarians" -- Eleanor of Aquitaine in "The Lion in Winter"
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

Seeding results from Maine South Sectional:

1. St. Ignatius
2. Loyola Academy
3. Oak Park-River Forest
4. Fenwick
5. New Trier
6. Maine South
7. Fenton
8. Riverside-Brookfield

All-Sectional Team members (in vote order)
1. Andrew Deveau (St. Ignatius) :shock:
2. Marcel Youkhna (Loyola)
3. Ben Carbery (OPRF)
4. Nolan Winkler (Loyola)
5. Steve Server (New Trier)
6. Michael Penicnak (Fenton)
7. Will Chronister (Fenwick)
8. Blake Tutt (Fenton)
9. Matthew Welmers (Fenton)
10. Aakash Bavishi (Hoffman Estates)
11. Brian Kenny (St. Ignatius)
12. Matt Clark (Fenwick)