ANNOUNCEMENT: NAQT Region 6 SCT @ NGCSU (Feb 6, 2010)

Old college threads.
North_GA_ATeam
Wakka

ANNOUNCEMENT: NAQT Region 6 SCT @ NGCSU (Feb 6, 2010)

Post by North_GA_ATeam »

The North Georgia College & State University Academic Team will be hosting the 2010 NAQT Southeastern (Region 6) SCT on February 6, 2010, on the NGCSU campus in Dahlonega, Georgia. While this tournament is open to any team in the nation who wishes to travel here, we hope schools in the Southeast, especially those in ACUI Region 6 (Florida, Georgia, Alabama and Mississippi, Bermuda and Puerto Rico) will consider taking part. Schools from North and South Carolina and Tennessee are welcome to attend if Knoxville is too far away.

Remember, the tournament is divided in Division I and II. Please refer to the NAQT website on eligibility for further details. http://naqt.com/college/collegiate-eligibility.html

Trophies will be given for top Div I and Div II teams. Let us know if your team qualifies for that last category when registering.

Top teams from this tournament may earn invitations to the NAQT ICT, to be held the weekend of April 9-11, 2010.

FEES:
Base Fee for first Team: $120
Fee for extra Teams: $100
Buzzer Discount: -$5 (max of 2 per school)
Experienced, competent (able to finish at least 20 questions in a timed round and knows NAQT rules well) moderator and/or scorekeeper: -$10 (maximum of 2 for now, this may be capped or removed if sufficient numbers have been met). We have also been in contact with many former players in the region who are willing to come and help out in many capacities. Our thanks in advance to these people.
Travel Discount: -$10 for each 150 miles traveled (one-way) as determined by MapQuest. This will be assessed to the overall total.
New School Discount: -$40 "New school" is defined as "a team(s) from a school that has neither competed in nor hosted a Sectional in the last two years" as per NAQT’s records. This discount will be assessed to each team a new school brings in.

Minimum single team entry: $70

Hotels: We are working on special rates for the hotels in Dahlonega. However, you can also look for hotels in North Atlanta (Sandy Springs/Dunwoody, about an hour south of Dahlonega on GA400) or Dawsonville (about 20 minutes away at GA400 and GA Hwy 53). More details on this as we get closer. Hotwire and Hotels.com are also good venues to check out.

Contact: If your team is interested in taking part, please email the team at [email protected] and let us know:
1- # of Div I teams (including UG teams)
2- # of Div II teams
3- possible number of buzzers
4- possible number of readers/scorers/workers etc.

We will be posting field updates from time to time and hope to have everything finalized and set by Feb 1, 2010.

Thank you for your advanced interest in the tournament we look forward to hosting you all on February 6th in Dahlonega.

As per the new NAQT system, "NAQT will be providing a centralized registration system for the SCT tournaments; NAQT will invoice schools, collect their money, and disburse payments to the SCT hosts." Just be sure to email us your numbers listed above.

Sarah Andrews
NGSCU Academic Team President
Last edited by North_GA_ATeam on Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:53 am, edited 9 times in total.
North Georgia College & State University Academic Team
Christopher Shull, President
[email protected]
North_GA_ATeam
Wakka

Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: NAQT Region 6 SCT @ NGCSU (Feb 6, 2010)

Post by North_GA_ATeam »

Field List:
Div I: 6 teams (2x RR plus 3/3 PO= 12 games/13 rounds) (3 rooms)

Florida (2) (2 buzzers+reader)*
South FL*
FSU*
South Carolina*
Georgia*

Div II: 14 teams (1x RR=13 games/13 rounds) [7 rooms]

Clemson*
St. Leo (Buzzer+reader)*
Georgia Perimeter*
Dalton State*
Shorter (buzzer+reader)*
Berry* (buzzer)
Florida*
Central Florida*
Milsaps* (buzzer)
FSU*
South Carolina* (buzzer+2 readers)
GaTech (2)*
South FL

Other buzzers:
NGCSU (5)

Readers (8):
Kevin Comer
Chuck Pearson
Mark Denote
2 from NGCSU
Dave Leach
2 from South Carolina

*Confirmed as of NAQT's registration site.
Last edited by North_GA_ATeam on Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:55 am, edited 50 times in total.
[email protected]
North_GA_ATeam
Wakka

Post by North_GA_ATeam »

EDITED AS IT IS NOW A MOOT POINT- REGISTRATION SITE IS UP AND RUNNING
Last edited by North_GA_ATeam on Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[email protected]
North_GA_ATeam
Wakka

Post by North_GA_ATeam »

New field update and a note that the registration for the tournament is up and running on NAQT's website. You have until January 31st to register.
[email protected]
North_GA_ATeam
Wakka

Post by North_GA_ATeam »

Field update. Looks like a rather young field so far.
[email protected]
North_GA_ATeam
Wakka

Post by North_GA_ATeam »

Finally! Some movement in Division I. Here's the new field list.
[email protected]
eldermaas
Wakka

Post by eldermaas »

North Greenville University is bringing one buzzer.

Any other schools being told by the NAQT registration site that they are getting the 150 mile, 300 mile AND 450 mile discounts?
James Washick, sponsor
North Greenville University Quiz Bowl
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

A brief note to Dalton State (the coach of whom I've already alerted) and Georgia Perimeter: do understand that (as far as I know from the NAQT website) if you play in this four-year college sectional, you'll be hearing the question set used at CCCT, so you won't be able to play in that tournament. This may not matter to you, and I don't mean to try to rain on NGCSU's field by any means, but I wanted to make sure those teams were aware of that.
Chris Borglum
Valencia College Grand Poobah
Central_Slade
Lulu

Post by Central_Slade »

Thank you for the information Borglum, but unfortunately, CC sectionals were announced with inadequate time for us to request funding for it. We had a great time at the CCCT last year and would have loved to attend it again, but there is a pretty strict policy for us to attain funds at GPC.
Robert Slade
Georgia Perimeter College '08-'09
North_GA_ATeam
Wakka

Post by North_GA_ATeam »

Registration ends one week from today. If you register after midnight Feb 1, you will incur a $25 per team late fee.

Also, even though we look ok for now, if you're in the area and wish to help out as a reader or scorekeeper, we would love to have you. Feel free to email us.

There has also been an addition to Div I (Miss St) and Div II (Miss St and Central FL*), making 3 and 10 teams, respectively.

*Does anyone have their email?
[email protected]
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

North_GA_ATeam wrote:Central FL* ...

*Does anyone have their email?
Just sent.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

Dude, what is this UCF team, if I may ask? I just saw Jeff's noting of their existence in one of the CC threads in Discussion. At the CC SCT this past weekend, I had around 5-7 current UCF students staffing, former players of mine and a couple other local CCs. These guys have been stoned repeatedly in trying to get things going there (though, to be fair, their own sloth in organizing, doing paperwork, etc., is also a big part of this).

It seems insanely unlikely that UCF can field a team better than the group of UCF folks I saw on Saturday; I'd love to get my people in touch with those people, in any case.
Chris Borglum
Important Bird Area

Chris, I just sent you their contact info. (It would be great if you could coordinate practices, register additional teams, etc.)
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

I'm on it! Thanks, Jeff!
Chris Borglum
North_GA_ATeam
Wakka

Post by North_GA_ATeam »

New(er) field update with the addition of South FL and Milsaps from Jackson, MS.
[email protected]
wd4gdz
Tidus

Post by wd4gdz »

I forecast that FSU will sign up one team in both divisions by the end of the week.
Billy Beyer, formerly of FSU
eldermaas
Wakka

Post by eldermaas »

North Greenville is going to have to back out as a number of our players have scheduling conflicts with that weekend.
James Washick, sponsor
North Greenville University Quiz Bowl
North_GA_ATeam
Wakka

Post by North_GA_ATeam »

We have a couple of new teams in Div I. Am I to take that a HS team will be playing here (FL State Univ Schools)? Interesting.

Also, we could use one or two more (or more than that) readers/scorers just in case. We've emailed NAQT for some help but you're in the area, we would love to have you. Just email us.
[email protected]
wd4gdz
Tidus

Post by wd4gdz »

North_GA_ATeam wrote:We have a couple of new teams in Div I. Am I to take that a HS team will be playing here (FL State Univ Schools)? Interesting.

Also, we could use one or two more (or more than that) readers/scorers just in case. We've emailed NAQT for some help but you're in the area, we would love to have you. Just email us.
No
North_GA_ATeam
Wakka

Post by North_GA_ATeam »

Ok...
Care to enlighten us? I looked at the website and it looks like a high school. Just interested what this school is that's all.
[email protected]
at your pleasure
Auron

Post by at your pleasure »

North_GA_ATeam wrote:Ok...
Care to enlighten us? I looked at the website and it looks like a high school. Just interested what this school is that's all.
My guess is that the team is of HS students dual-enrolled with the University of Florida.
EDIT: I mean Florida State.
Last edited by at your pleasure on Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Douglas Graebner, Walt Whitman HS 10, Uchicago 14
"... imagination acts upon man as really as does gravitation, and may kill him as certainly as a dose of prussic acid."-Sir James Frazer,The Golden Bough

http://avorticistking.wordpress.com/
wd4gdz
Tidus

Post by wd4gdz »

I'm guessing someone hit the wrong button.
Important Bird Area

Billy, if you can confirm that that's a ghost team, I'll go ahead and delete it. (I fired off an email to Craig asking about this before I saw this thread...)
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

North_GA_ATeam
Wakka

Post by North_GA_ATeam »

New Field update with a last minute addition. Just a warning to teams: if you have a fifth player, they may be pressed into service as a scorekeeper OR a reader (most likely the latter, as we're short one reader in Div II).
[email protected]
North_GA_ATeam
Wakka

Post by North_GA_ATeam »

One last (I hope) addition to the field in Div II. If you have extra players, expect them to be pressed into scorekeeping duty when asked as we lost our bye round.
[email protected]
North_GA_ATeam
Wakka

Post by North_GA_ATeam »

http://results.scobo.net/northgeorgiacollege

Quick results:
Div I:
1- Florida A
2- FSU-A
3- USF-A*

*Was part of a three way 4-6 circle of death with UGA and USC-A. See Wes' details below for the outcome.

Div II:
1- Clemson*
2- Ga Tech A*
3- Ga Tech B

*Tied with 12-1 record. Played full 20 minute game to determine title.

More details to come as well as web stats for the Div I playoffs when the scores are re-entered.
Last edited by North_GA_ATeam on Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
[email protected]
gwaustin4
Lulu

Post by gwaustin4 »

North_GA_ATeam wrote: *Was part of a three way 4-6 circle of death with UGA and USC-A. UGA beat USC in a 10 minute half game, then lost to USF in another 10 minute half game to determine 3rd, 4th and 5th spots in the 3/3 playoffs.
UGA and USF played the first half of the round and USF won, and then USF played USC on the second half, and USF again won, clinching a spot in the upper playoff group.
Wes Austin
Chattahoochee '09
UGA '09-
North_GA_ATeam
Wakka

Post by North_GA_ATeam »

I knew I wrote it wrong but couldn't remember the details. Thanks Wes for doing that.
[email protected]
AdamL
Lulu

Post by AdamL »

Overall, this tournament ran pretty smoothly, especially after we got back from lunch. We did have a couple of slow readers/rounds in the morning - in one case, we only got through 14 tossups in the 20 minutes. That particular reader also got very huffy at us for something as innocuous as reminding her (in non-obnoxious manner) to clear the buzzer and another incident in which she actually misheard what we said and thought we were being rude or whatever (...no), which we definitely didn't appreciate considering we were the ones paying hundreds of dollars and all to play this tournament. However, I noticed that certain readers were switched out, and after that things went a lot faster. We were out the door just a bit after 6:00 having played 14 rounds, so that was solid.

I was pretty puzzled by the policy at this tournament, at least for D2 (I don't know what happened in D1), to read through 20 tossups if time ran out before reaching 20. Is this in accordance with NAQT rules?

Several of our readers often forgot to say if things were power or not - we usually had to ask if Question X was a power, but in flipping through the packets I've found at least 2 tossups where we apparently forgot to do that, since I'm 100% sure we powered them but weren't given credit. In general, the statkeeping at the tournament was questionable. For instance, the GT B vs Clemson match in round 6 actually ended with a 595-150 victory for Clemson, not 380-145 (where did that come from?). We kept track of our team's stats and there are more than a few misattributed powers/10s/negs among our team members too, but oh well.

Overall though, like I said, I think the tournament ran fairly smoothly, and it's nice to see a newcomer like NGCSU host a reasonably successful tournament. Hopefully Sarah & Co. can host more quality tournaments in the future.
Adam Liem
Chattahoochee High '08
Georgia Tech '12
Important Bird Area

AdamL wrote:I was pretty puzzled by the policy at this tournament, at least for D2 (I don't know what happened in D1), to read through 20 tossups if time ran out before reaching 20. Is this in accordance with NAQT rules?
It's not, but [not speaking for NAQT] I wish it were!

Please report any and all errors in the posted stats; we want to make sure we use the right numbers for ICT bids.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Marble-faced Bristle Tyrant
Yuna

Post by Marble-faced Bristle Tyrant »

AdamL wrote:Several of our readers often forgot to say if things were power or not - we usually had to ask if Question X was a power, but in flipping through the packets I've found at least 2 tossups where we apparently forgot to do that, since I'm 100% sure we powered them but weren't given credit. In general, the statkeeping at the tournament was questionable. For instance, the GT B vs Clemson match in round 6 actually ended with a 595-150 victory for Clemson, not 380-145 (where did that come from?). We kept track of our team's stats and there are more than a few misattributed powers/10s/negs among our team members too, but oh well.
To expand a bit on this, often people in our rooms after having their answer deemed correct would ask the moderator, "was that power?" The moderator would look back at the question as if he hadn't been watching for it before, and then confirm whether or not it was a fifteen.
Farrah Bilimoria
Formerly of Georgia Tech and Central High School (Macon)
SnookerUSF
Rikku

Post by SnookerUSF »

Hello,

I just wanted to commend NGCSU and Robin for running a pretty smooth tournament, things went really well after lunch, and I thought the 3-way tie was handled quickly and without too much fuss. The moderators overall in DI were quite good, I don't think any round I played went under 20, and most were in the 22 range, and despite having a non-visible clock in one room, the staff there handled it quite well. Dahlonega, GA isn't the most exciting place, but I would gladly attend another tournament at NGCSU. The Borders gift certificates were clutch, my 31 negs were not.
Ahmad Ragab, itinerant moderator at the New School for Social Research

ACF Nationals 2011:"Too real for the streets"
-Auroni Gupta

"Can 40,000 redacted topic Tossups be wrong?"

"With my gnomes I'm highlighting the danger of political opportunism and right-wing ideology. I get the feeling that this gnome has reopened an old wound."
-Ottomar Hoerl
North_GA_ATeam
Wakka

Post by North_GA_ATeam »

Thanks Ahmad,
Robin just told me he fixed the stats, added the Div I 3/3 playoffs and posted everything on the Scobo Page. As for future events, we shall see. We have our snow-delayed NGATT this weekend and if the schedule allows, we *might* be able to host another event before the end of the year. One team suggested MUT, but we think Clemson is hosting that and certainly wouldn't want to step on their toes (EDIT- Clemson IS doing this for HS, so we *could* do it for colleges...hmmm). Right now, we're halfway through back to back weekends of quizbowl and catching our breath and up on our homework. We'll talk things over when things die down. Thanks for coming up. Yes, Dahlonega isn't the most exciting place, but we're glad you all came.
Last edited by North_GA_ATeam on Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[email protected]
ClemsonQB
Tidus

Post by ClemsonQB »

The stats look much more accurate now, at least on our end.

We're actually going to be using the MUT set for the Saturday of our Weekend of Quizbowl in March, which is solely for high school.
George Stevens

Dorman High School 2008
Clemson University 2012
gregpweinstein
Lulu

Post by gregpweinstein »

I would also like to throw in my kudos to the NGCSU team and Robin. This was a very well-run tournament, seeing as how we were able to play 13 rounds and get done by 5:30, should be a lesson to some schools on how to run tournaments. I also had the reader Adam mentioned and while she was inexperienced to say the least, as far as I know she was a last minute replacement, so I don't blame NGCSU for this. I would also hope that NAQT would adapt this rule to their ever growing list of rules, as while it may have hurt in some rounds, it at least allowed for teams to see a full 20 questions, which is what teams come to play I think. Bravo once again!
Mr. Charles Montgomery Burns, "I cant be responsible for what my goons are ordered to do."
Greg "Lover of red-headed women, The Simpsons, and various other stuff" Weinstein
Berry College 2007-?
Aaron Kashtan
Lulu

Post by Aaron Kashtan »

I'd also like to thank Robin and the NGCSU staff for running an excellent tournament. I, too, thought the gift certificates were a brilliant idea.
SnookerUSF
Rikku

Post by SnookerUSF »

Aaron Kashtan wrote:I'd also like to thank Robin and the NGCSU staff for running an excellent tournament. I, too, thought the gift certificates were a brilliant idea.
You know, Aaron, if you came to a Sun 'n' Fun or some other USF sponsored tournament, you would receive gift cards in the $50-75 dollar range. I am sure Justin can verify this for me. Moreover, I am sure the field would appreciate the competition your presence would surely provide...XOXO

EDIT: COMMAS!

-Auroni Gupta

"With my gnomes I'm highlighting the danger of political opportunism and right-wing ideology. I get the feeling that this gnome has reopened an old wound."
-Ottomar Hoerl
Charbroil
Auron

Post by Charbroil »

SnookerUSF wrote:...if you came to a Sun 'n' Fun or some other USF sponsored tournament, you would receive gift cards in the $50-75 dollar range...
I was actually considering coming down to Sun 'n' Fun anyway as a summer trip, but this certainly makes things more interesting. Are these gift cards awards for team placement, individual scoring, or both?
Charles Hang
Francis Howell Central '09
St. Charles Community College '14
Washington University in St. Louis '19, 2x (President, 2017-19)

Owner, Olympia Academic Competition Questions, LLC
Question Writer, National Academic Quiz Tournaments, LLC and National History Bee and Bowl
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

$500 to top CC scorer; I plan to take a one-hour teacher recert class to be eligible!
Chris Borglum
SnookerUSF
Rikku

Post by SnookerUSF »

Charbroil wrote:
SnookerUSF wrote:...if you came to a Sun 'n' Fun or some other USF sponsored tournament, you would receive gift cards in the $50-75 dollar range...
I was actually considering coming down to Sun 'n' Fun anyway as a summer trip, but this certainly makes things more interesting. Are these gift cards awards for team placement, individual scoring, or both?

-Auroni Gupta

-Ottomar Hoerl
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

SnookerUSF wrote:
Charbroil wrote:
I love you Ahmad
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
SnookerUSF
Rikku

Post by SnookerUSF »

Aww..thanks! I love you too, man!

-Auroni Gupta

-Ottomar Hoerl
BerryCollegeBowl
Wakka

Post by BerryCollegeBowl »

The Berry team would like to thank Robin and NGSU for running a great tournament. We hope that he will run more collegiate level tournaments in the future.

-- WC
Kricket Davis, Coach
Berry College College Bowl
Mount Berry, GA
[email protected]
Mettius Fufetius
Wakka

Post by Mettius Fufetius »

North_GA_ATeam wrote: One team suggested MUT, but we think Clemson is hosting that and certainly wouldn't want to step on their toes (EDIT- Clemson IS doing this for HS, so we *could* do it for colleges...hmmm).
FYI, Furman would be extremely interested in a MUT mirror. We actually wanted to come to this tournament, but most of the team had scheduling conflicts.
Quinn James
Furman University '10
AdamL
Lulu

Post by AdamL »

GT would be extremely interested in a MUT mirror at NGCSU too.
Adam Liem
Chattahoochee High '08
Georgia Tech '12
SnookerUSF
Rikku

Post by SnookerUSF »

You know guys, just a few hours south there is a mirror at Valencia CC, hosted by USF! Florida is beautiful this time of year, and I am certainly willing to offer travel discounts.

-Auroni Gupta

-Ottomar Hoerl
CSQuizJags
Tidus

Post by CSQuizJags »

I talked to Sarah about it and she's going to poll the team to see if they're interested in hosting. The only viable dates they could do it are April 3 or 17th and they're leaning to the 3rd. Of course, I don't know if the MUT people will go for that but we'll see. Let's let them get through the NGATT redux this weekend and we'll let you know.
Cedar Shoals HS Academic Team:
2011, 2012, and 2013 Classic City Academic Team Champions
2014 Region 8-AAAAA Varsity and JV Champions
2013 GATA Class AAAAA JV State Champions
2014 WSB-TV HighQ Tournament Champions
Arthur Banks, Advisor
Marble-faced Bristle Tyrant
Yuna

Post by Marble-faced Bristle Tyrant »

SnookerUSF wrote:You know guys, just a few hours south there is a mirror at Valencia CC, hosted by USF! Florida is beautiful this time of year, and I am certainly willing to offer travel discounts.
Well, now we have the option between a 7-hour drive and a 3-hour drive!
Farrah Bilimoria
Formerly of Georgia Tech and Central High School (Macon)
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

But the seven-hour drive puts you significantly farther away from the aura of evil projected from Nick Saban, while also providing you with the the sonorous reading of Ahmad Ragab. Seems like four good hours to me!

PS--really, you can do mid-Atlanta to Orlando in about 6! We'd be happy to have the Wreck.
Chris Borglum
North_GA_ATeam
Wakka

Post by North_GA_ATeam »

AdamL wrote: Hopefully Sarah & Co. can host more quality tournaments in the future.
Well...we've approached the MUT people about hosting a mirror on April 3rd. So now all we can do is play the waiting game. As soon as we know something we'll post. We'll mostly email the SCT teams first and we know some will go to SFL and some to Alabama, so it may be mostly GA schools and a few from TN and SC (Furman at the least). And, we may be doing this the same day as our twice-snow delayed NGATT, so we may have some nice discounts for HS tournament workers too. Stay tuned...
[email protected]