NAQT Qualifiers around DC

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
QOHS
Lulu

NAQT Qualifiers around DC

Post by QOHS »

Since Quince Orchard is new to the world of "real" quizbowl, we missed all of the qualifiers held around the area last fall. We are travelling for an NAQT tourny on March 20th, but other than that there don't seem to be any within a 4 hour drive of here (Gaithersburg). Does anyone know of any plans in the works for an NAQT tournament anywhere in the area?
Rev. Joshua M. Schuman
Quince Orchard High School
Gaithersburg, Maryland
jonah
Auron

Re: NAQT Qualifiers around DC

Post by jonah »

It looks like there are several within four hours, including at least two in Delaware: http://naqt.com/schedule.jsp?hs=yes
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
Angry Babies in Love
Yuna

Post by Angry Babies in Love »

There aren't any in the works as far as I know. You could go down to Williamsburg on the 13th. As for the ones in Delaware: One of them is a state championship, so Marylanders wouldn't be able to play. The other one, Blue Hen, is going to be using some bizarre format. I think you might be able to apply for a wild card though.
Raynell Cooper
Arcadia ES '04
Richard Montgomery HS '11
George Washington University '15
University of Maryland, College Park '17
Hella things, National History Bee and Bowl
Nine-Tenths Ideas
Auron

Post by Nine-Tenths Ideas »

Blue Hen had a fairly normal format last year, if I remember correctly, and both Charter's and UD's website notes no change in the format.
Isaac Hirsch
University of Maryland '14
Never Gonna Play Again
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

We would, by the way, welcome volunteers to host a Maryland state championship.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo »

rmgeokid wrote:There aren't any in the works as far as I know. You could go down to Williamsburg on the 13th. As for the ones in Delaware: One of them is a state championship, so Marylanders wouldn't be able to play. The other one, Blue Hen, is going to be using some bizarre format. I think you might be able to apply for a wild card though.
You're thinking of the DWI thing at UD in early March, Doug.

Blue Hen will be a regular tournament featuring teams from all across the upper Mid-Atlantic, as usual, with plenty of good competition.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org
at your pleasure
Auron

Post by at your pleasure »

Carangoides ciliarius wrote:
rmgeokid wrote:There aren't any in the works as far as I know. You could go down to Williamsburg on the 13th. As for the ones in Delaware: One of them is a state championship, so Marylanders wouldn't be able to play. The other one, Blue Hen, is going to be using some bizarre format. I think you might be able to apply for a wild card though.

Blue Hen will be a regular tournament featuring teams from all across the upper Mid-Atlantic, as usual, with plenty of good competition.
Raynell and I are not the same person.
Douglas Graebner, Walt Whitman HS 10, Uchicago 14
"... imagination acts upon man as really as does gravitation, and may kill him as certainly as a dose of prussic acid."-Sir James Frazer,The Golden Bough

http://avorticistking.wordpress.com/
Self-incompatibility in plants
Rikku

Post by Self-incompatibility in plants »

Dave Breger wrote:

Eh, you are both some random quizbowlers from Maryland, you might as well be the same people...
Trey Taraila
Caesar Rodney 2010
University of Delaware 2014
at your pleasure
Auron

Self-incompatibility in plants wrote:
Dave Breger wrote:

Eh, you are both some random quizbowlers from Maryland, you might as well be the same people...
Have you not met Raynell?
"... imagination acts upon man as really as does gravitation, and may kill him as certainly as a dose of prussic acid."-Sir James Frazer,The Golden Bough

Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo »

Haha, definitely wasn't paying attention...
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org
Angry Babies in Love
Yuna

You're thinking of the DWI thing at UD in early March, Doug [EPIC SIC].

That's a new one. But I'm used to it, quizbowlers have called me Raj since freshman year.
And yeah it looks like I got the two tournaments mixed up. My bad.
Raynell Cooper
Arcadia ES '04
QOHS
Lulu

Post by QOHS »

I have definitely not found "several" within 4 hours.

There's the Tartan at carnegie mellon (3.5 hours) that we may go to if we can find a driver.

On 3/20 there are 3 within four hours and we have chosen one and will be attending it.

On 5/1 there is one in Richmond, but that's getting pretty late...AND, i'm getting married that day so we'd need to find a driver.

That's all i could find on that list within 4 hours. What I was really hoping for is that someone knew of one being planned within 2 hours or so that wasn't on March 20th!
Rev. Joshua M. Schuman
Gaithersburg, Maryland
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

QOHS wrote:I have definitely not found "several" within 4 hours.

There's the Tartan at carnegie mellon (3.5 hours) that we may go to if we can find a driver.

On 3/20 there are 3 within four hours and we have chosen one and will be attending it.

On 5/1 there is one in Richmond, but that's getting pretty late...AND, i'm getting married that day so we'd need to find a driver.

That's all i could find on that list within 4 hours. What I was really hoping for is that someone knew of one being planned within 2 hours or so that wasn't on March 20th!
2/13*: New Jersey State Championship at Princeton, 3:12 away according to Google Maps, IS-92
2/20*: Delaware State Championship at Mount Pleasant HS, 2:03 away, IS-92
3/6: Livingston Invitational at Livingston, NJ, 3:58 away, IS-90
3/20: several, apparently
4/10*: Pennsylvania State Championship at State College, 3:05 away, IS-95

*My understanding is that if there is no NAQT State Qualifier in your state, NAQT will allow you to attend another state's. I apologize if this is wrong.
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
QOHS
Lulu

Post by QOHS »

I see. I will inquire about that. I just figured that we weren't allowed to compete in another state's state championships. All the ones you mentioned were exactly that except for Livingston, NJ. And I looked that one up and saw googlemaps said 3:58, but if you've ever driven north on 95 and the NJTP you'd know that it's NOT 3:58 from here to Livingston. In a perfect world, maybe...

So perhaps we will look into a couple of those state championships, but they're all still lengthy trips. Just wishing there was one (or two) between NOVA and Baltimore...
Rev. Joshua M. Schuman
Gaithersburg, Maryland
at your pleasure
Auron

QOHS wrote:I see. I will inquire about that. I just figured that we weren't allowed to compete in another state's state championships. All the ones you mentioned were exactly that except for Livingston, NJ. And I looked that one up and saw googlemaps said 3:58, but if you've ever driven north on 95 and the NJTP you'd know that it's NOT 3:58 from here to Livingston. In a perfect world, maybe...

So perhaps we will look into a couple of those state championships, but they're all still lengthy trips. Just wishing there was one (or two) between NOVA and Baltimore...
Yeah, NAQT does not really have much market share in the DC area thanks to HSAPQ and a multitude of housewrites. You'd still have a good shot at a wildcard bid, though, and lots of chances to qualify for NSC at George Mason.

AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

jonah wrote:2/13*: New Jersey State Championship at Princeton, 3:12 away according to Google Maps, IS-92
Yo, this field is closed, so it wouldn't work out.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

1. Teams wishing to attend another state's state championship need to write to us for permission. (Which we are likely to grant if your own state has no such event: but there are lots of potential tournament hosts in Maryland, and I'd like to think that not all of them have yet reached the point of boycotting HSNCT.)

2. Of course you are encouraged to attend the numerous non-NAQT events in your area, and good performance against the strong competition at those events would likely build up an impressive resume for a wildcard bid to HSNCT- which we would be happy to consider.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
at your pleasure
Auron

bt_green_warbler wrote:1. Teams wishing to attend another state's state championship need to write to us for permission. (Which we are likely to grant if your own state has no such event: but there are lots of potential tournament hosts in Maryland, and I'd like to think that not all of them have yet reached the point of boycotting HSNCT.)
True, but what dates will be open? At the rate things are going, every date in the calendar is either taken or will be taken by a emergency rescheduling.
EDIT: If you want one, talk to Chris Ray and see if they would consider making UMD spring the state championships. They're probably the most available hosts.
Last edited by at your pleasure on Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

But it's not like NAQT actually turns away anybody's A team.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Isn't 3/20 the date of the University of Delaware Blue Hen Invitational, using Set IS-94? I think it is; hope this helps.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
Angry Babies in Love
Yuna

Dave Breger wrote:
bt_green_warbler wrote:1. Teams wishing to attend another state's state championship need to write to us for permission. (Which we are likely to grant if your own state has no such event: but there are lots of potential tournament hosts in Maryland, and I'd like to think that not all of them have yet reached the point of boycotting HSNCT.)
True, but what dates will be open? At the rate things are going, every date in the calendar is either taken or will be taken by a emergency rescheduling.
EDIT: If you want one, talk to Chris Ray and see if they would consider making UMD spring the state championships. They're probably the most available hosts.
Also, many people are going to the Mid-Atlantic championship. I'm curious to see how many teams from around here go to HSNCT.
Raynell Cooper
Arcadia ES '04
QOHS
Lulu

Post by QOHS »

bt_green_warbler wrote: 2. Of course you are encouraged to attend the numerous non-NAQT events in your area, and good performance against the strong competition at those events would likely build up an impressive resume for a wildcard bid to HSNCT- which we would be happy to consider.
Thanks. We are building what I think is a good wild-card resume, however last week at TJ getting cancelled, and the liklihood of ZIGZAG getting cancelled this weekend...frusterating for me and our players because we were counting on decent performances at these as further evidence on our wild-card resume.

Also, we were going to host an NAQT (not a state championship though, i don't think) event, but just don't have the time, resources to plan it this spring. Next year we certainly will though! Which I know, does no one any good right now...
Rev. Joshua M. Schuman
Gaithersburg, Maryland