Spotswood ACT I Results

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
msuter
Lulu

Spotswood ACT I Results

Post by msuter »

Thirty-two teams from 19 schools in three states competed on Nov. 20 in the Spotswood ACT I Invitational. As always, there were some blowouts but there were also a number of close matches and some great competition. A huge “thank youâ€
Last edited by msuter on Sun Nov 21, 2004 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
steven-lamp
Rikku

Post by steven-lamp »

Is that "Heritage" the same Heritage from the Atlanta metro area (Conyers)? There was a Heritage at Brookwood today with a number of teams and I'm pretty sure it was the Conyers one.
msuter
Lulu

Post by msuter »

No, this Heritage is from Lynchburg, Va. All the teams listed are Virginia teams except for Ripley and Hurricane, which are from W. Va., and Howard and Rockville, which are from Md.
eclinchy
Lulu

Post by eclinchy »

We need a new B-team captain... our old one bet against us in the finals, so he's a dead man. :evil:
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

msuter wrote:except for Ripley and Hurricane, which are from W. Va.,
Woop woop! Quite pleasantly surprised that Hurricane went out of state to a tourney. Good job to both teams.

Are they the only WV schools who went, Marian?
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
No Sollositing On Premise
Tidus

Post by No Sollositing On Premise »

msuter wrote:All the teams listed are Virginia teams except for Ripley and Hurricane, which are from W. Va., and Howard and Rockville, which are from Md.
I assume so.
Mike Sollosi, University of Virginia
eclinchy
Lulu

Post by eclinchy »

Any word on whether this tournament was a Nationals qualifier? :)
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

laszlow wrote:
msuter wrote:All the teams listed are Virginia teams except for Ripley and Hurricane, which are from W. Va., and Howard and Rockville, which are from Md.
I assume so.
I took it as her stating that those were the only teams that made the playoffs; it's possible that other teams went and failed to qualify.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Howard
Tidus

Post by Howard »

Those were the only WV teams, but Hurricane sent four teams.
John Gilbert
Coach, Howard High School Academic Team
Ellicott City, MD

"John Gilbert is a quiz bowl god" -- leftsaidfred
bigtrain
Rikku

Post by bigtrain »

Wasn't Blair(MD) supposed to be going?
msuter
Lulu

Post by msuter »

There were no out-of-state teams who did not make the playoffs. Ripley, Howard, and Rockville each had 1 team and Hurricane brought 4.

I have contacted both NAQT and PACE to see whether our tournament can be considered as a qualifier for a national tournament. As soon as I hear from them, I will post their replies.

Just for the record, schools that participated but did not make the final sixteen are Monticello, Stuarts Draft, Warren Co., and Blessed Sacrament Huguenot.

If I remember correctly, I believe that Blair was taping It's Academic yesterday and, if they won, will also be taping on the ACT II date.

(edited to add the Blair info)
STPickrell
Auron

Post by STPickrell »

msuter wrote:Just for the record, schools that participated but did not make the final sixteen are Monticello, Stuarts Draft, Warren Co., and Blessed Sacrament Huguenot.
The Warren County coach told me he was sending a younger team this go-around ... how did they do?

Parry McCluer ... impressive show from them to get the 5-seed ... if they keep up this, they may challenge for one of the two spots from [Region C at VHSL states], and I can think of a few other schools who'd be competitive if they got the right personnel.

Region C has really improved from the "Radford and the n Dwarves" that it was back in the mid-1990s.
Last edited by STPickrell on Mon Nov 22, 2004 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shawn Pickrell, HSAPQ CFO
solonqb
Rikku

Post by solonqb »

Your tournament is automatically a PACE qualifier, but teams wanting to qualify for NAQT from your tournament would have to apply for an at-large bid, since you didn't use NAQT questions.
Noah Rahman
Welcome to Simbabwe, where the property is already owned and the houses built and you compete to burn and dispossess them. Compete with Robert Mugabe, Canaan Banana, Cecil Rhodes and Sir Godfrey Huggins to earn a place on the all-time EU travel ban list!
msuter
Lulu

Post by msuter »

I just heard from Tom Chuck at PACE and yes, the top 4 teams do qualify. I haven't heard from NAQT but I'm sure solonqb is correct about qualifying for their tournament with an at-large bid. Will make it "official" when I hear from them.
msuter
Lulu

Post by msuter »

I FINALLY heard from NAQT about qualifiers and here's Robert Hentzel's reply:
I apologize for taking so long to respond to this e-mail.

NAQT Unofficial events (http://www.naqt.com/unofficial-event.html) are those that use NAQT questions but not NAQT's rules, eligibility policies, or
tournament structure guidelines.

With the exception of state championships, tournaments that do not use NAQT questions are not named automatic qualifiers for the HS NCT, but we will consider the results of large tournaments with strong fields (as yours was) when awarded wildcard berths. If the top teams from your tournament don't qualify at other events, we encourage them to apply for wildcard entry and to prominently list their success at ACT I.

Sincerely,

-- R. Robert Hentzel
President and Chief Technical Officer,
National Academic Quiz Tournaments, LLC