Final Results: Princeton HS Tournament

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
DanTheClam
Lulu

Final Results: Princeton HS Tournament

Post by DanTheClam »

After 6 brackets completed 12- or 11-game Round Robins, the top 16 teams were picked by win-loss percentage, head-to-head matchces, and points per game. Points per game was used to break a circle of death.

Then, a single-elimination tournament was played among the top 16 teams.

Thomas Jefferson A defeated State College A in the finals match, while Thomas Jefferson B defeated Irmo in the match for 3rd place, leaving the final results:

1. Thomas Jefferson A
2. State College A
3. Thomas Jefferson B
4. Irmo

The Top Scorer award went to Jericho of Gonzaga.
jewtemplar
Wakka

Post by jewtemplar »

I believe the playoff rankings were by number of losses, then an ad-hoc mixture of head-to-head and ppg.
Do you have records of individual stats that will be posted at some point?
DanTheClam
Lulu

Post by DanTheClam »

Basically, along with everything else that went wrong yesterday, the game stats that had been entered into a computer were deleted last night, through my own mistake when working with SQBS. I still have the scoresheets, of course, but there are about 350 of them, and entering them in SQBS was basically all I did yesterday after getting things settled down from the first few rounds.

Unless the demand for individual/overall statistics is absolutely overwhelming, I feel that it does not merit the very long time it would take me to enter every game again.
btressler
Tidus

Post by btressler »

Just curious, but when "win percentage" is being mentioned as a criteria for making the cut, does that mean that a 8-3 team had an advantage over a 7-3 team?

If standings will not be published, could my team at least know why we were originally listed as the 16 seed and then erased? Was Charter A actually number 17?

- Bill Tressler,
Charter School of Wilmington
BroNi
Rikku

Post by BroNi »

Dan

I can understand the time obligation for the individual stats, but I, and I suspect a number of other coaches, would definitely want each team's W-L record and "Pts. scored" vs. "Pts. against" for the prelims as well as a copy or listing of the playoff bracket results including scores.
Bro. Nigel, Coach, Kellenberg Memorial HS, NY
irmogopher
Lulu

Post by irmogopher »

How much editing was done to the NAQT packets used at the Princeton Tournament?

Normally we would expect there to be a lot of regional questions at a tournament with house questions but not if it was regular NAQT questions.

Just wondering either way because we still got to have extra bragging rights getting Northeast questions before teams that are actually from the Northeast...
Shweater
Lulu

Post by Shweater »

<mini-rant> i'm so disappointed that our idiot bus driver made us leave right before our 2nd round match in the playoffs (against irmo). :( we were actually doing well that day.... ******* awful bus driver... </mini-rant>
"What makes you think she's a witch?"
"Well she turned me into a newt."
"A newt?"
"...I got better."
DanTheClam
Lulu

Post by DanTheClam »

I have finished entering stats, and they are now posted at my personal web page (I don't have access to the Princeton College Bowl page, or they'd be there).

http://www.princeton.edu/~dbenedik/HS/b ... dings.html

There are no individual stats, for reasons which I have previously explained. The only issues with stats that I know of are the following:
Northern Highlands left after Game 8, leaving three teams with byes in the proceeding rounds.
I am lacking scoresheets for 4 games: Georgetown B v. Colonia, Westchester East A v. White Plains A, Half Hollow Hills vs. Lenape C, and Horace Greeley v. Newton A. Of these, the only that mattered for playoff standings would be Horace Greeley v. Newton A, which I know Horace Greeley won.

The full results after the playoffs were:

1. Thomas Jefferson A
2. State College A
3. Thomas Jefferson B
4. Irmo
5(t). Columbia A
5(t). Georgetown Day School A
5(t). Gonzaga
5(t). Smithtown
9(t). Bloomfield A
9(t). Conestoga
9(t). Half Hollow Hills A
9(t). Horace Greeley
9(t). Kellenberg A
9(t). Livingston A
9(t). North Shore A
9(t). Thomas Jefferson C
btressler
Tidus

Post by btressler »

I'm confused,

Livingston A (7-3, 284.5 PPG) was in the playoffs

Charter A (7-3, 288 PPG) was not

can someone point out to me what I'm missing?
DanTheClam
Lulu

Post by DanTheClam »

The scoresheet that was handed to me on Saturday appeared to say that Livingston A had defeated Smithtown A in their game. When I went back and was re-entering the stats, I totalled up the scores on each of the scoresheets again. Doing this, it emerged that Smithtown A had in fact won the game, giving Livingston a 7-3 record, rather than 8-2, which I had thought. At the time, I thought that this just meant that there was a little shuffling of the rankings in the top 16, which I wasn't too upset with. Apparently, I was wrong.

I don't really have any viable answer to this situation, other than to apologize for the fact that it ever occurred.