Legitimate competition?

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
brenlee
Lulu

Legitimate competition?

Post by brenlee »

Hi,

I recently received an e-mail invitation for my teams to participate in the Longfellow Academic Challenge on Feb. 13 in Falls Church, VA. Because I'm new at coaching, I wanted to verify the legitimacy of the competition. Thanks again for your help.

Brenda
Brenda
Sutherland Middle School
at your pleasure
Auron

Re: Legitimate competition?

Post by at your pleasure »

If it came from a organization named Questions Unlimited(QU) headed by a Mr. Chip Beall, it's not legitimate and you should not go.
Douglas Graebner, Walt Whitman HS 10, Uchicago 14
"... imagination acts upon man as really as does gravitation, and may kill him as certainly as a dose of prussic acid."-Sir James Frazer,The Golden Bough

http://avorticistking.wordpress.com/
Marble-faced Bristle Tyrant
Yuna

Post by Marble-faced Bristle Tyrant »

Perhaps you could contact the organizers and ask for a sample packet?
Farrah Bilimoria
Formerly of Georgia Tech and Central High School (Macon)
brenlee
Lulu

Post by brenlee »

Doink the Clown wrote:If it came from a organization named Questions Unlimited(QU) headed by a Mr. Chip Beall, it's not legitimate and you should not go.
Yes, it was an e-mail from that organization headed up by that person, so I won't take it seriously. Hrm, I guess I'm concerned how they found my e-mail address.
Brenda
Sutherland Middle School
the return of AHAN
Auron

Post by the return of AHAN »

But...but... don't you want to see if "your students are as smart as Jon Leidenheimer?"*
Last edited by the return of AHAN on Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach (2021 & 2023 HSNCT Champions, 2023 PACE Champions, 2023 Illinois Masonic Bowl Class 3A State Champions)
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

Doubt it.
STPickrell
Auron

Post by STPickrell »

brenlee wrote:Hi,

I recently received an e-mail invitation for my teams to participate in the Longfellow Academic Challenge on Feb. 13 in Falls Church, VA. Because I'm new at coaching, I wanted to verify the legitimacy of the competition. Thanks again for your help.

Brenda
Email might've been gotten through combing this site. :(

The competition is legitimate in the sense that 'your team will play an number of games, during which they will be asked questions.'

As to the quality of the questions, they will simply be terrible compared to normal pyramidal (NAQT/HSAPQ/good housewrites) or even the VHSL questions I wrote (and if you don't have the VHSL archive please let me know.)

There are other concerns with Beall's organization, which others will be happy to outline (I just don't have them all straight in my head.) However, direct plagiarism in question writing, apparent unprofessionalism during his national championship, and favoritism are among them.
Shawn Pickrell, HSAPQ CFO