12/4/04 Brindlee Mountain Varsity Tournament - N. Alabama

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
quizbowllee
Auron

12/4/04 Brindlee Mountain Varsity Tournament - N. Alabama

Post by quizbowllee »

All teams are invited to the first ever Brindlee Mountain High School Invitational Tournament to be held here in Guntersville, AL on Saturday Dec. 4, 2004.

The tournament will be a tossup/bonus format with pyramidal-type questions.

The top 4 teams will qualify for the PACE National Championship Tournament this June in Orlando, FL.

Entry is $50 per team. You may bring multiple teams. Please e-mail me at [email protected] if you are interested. This is in a relatively rural part of Alabama, but we would love to have some schools from Georgia, Tennessee, and surrounding states to attend. Space will be somewhat limited, so please register early. I think we can accomodate around 40 teams maximum. The official deadline will be Nov. 22. Thanks.

-Lee Henry
Brindlee Mountain High School
steven-lamp
Rikku

Post by steven-lamp »

Lee, I'm interested in this tournament. I'll have to check the dates out for various events, but there's a possibility that LAMP might be able to attend. There are a few possible conflicts that I'm not sure about yet. Harvard Model United Nations is in early December and Jay and I will both be going to that so that would conflict, and also the Dorman tournament could be that day. Also, I have no idea when the state championships for Science Bowl are, but I'll find out. It's great to see another Alabama tournament, and I remind everyone that LAMP's high school tournament will be on January 8th, 2005. As soon as I get more information, I'll make a post regarding that.
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

I just found out that Athens State University, also in Alabama, is hosting a tournament on Friday Dec. 3. They are planning it to also be a PACE qualifier. Therefore, between their tournament on the 3rd, and ours on the 4th, there will be two chances in two days to qualify for PACE.

Athens State is almost exactly one hour north of Brindlee Mountain High School, so it might be feasible for several teams to attend both.

-Lee

BTW - still a WHOLE lot of space left for ours on the 4th. Please let me know if you are planning to attend:

[email protected]
gosaints
Lulu

question source???

Post by gosaints »

Will you be using NAQT questions? If not, who's writing the questions for your tournament?

thanks!
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

The questions are coming from various sources... some from Chris Borglum from Valencia, some from Daniel McHan from Athens State, and I've got some other people from around the country offering to make trades, free-lance, etc.

BTW - anyone out there interested in writing, trading, etc, please contact me!

[email protected]

-Lee
steven-lamp
Rikku

Post by steven-lamp »

Lee, as the date draws closer, will you list a field of teams? I know we're planning on coming, but I'm not sure if Mrs. Samford has e-mailed/mailed you the registration stuff yet or not.
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

As of right now:

Brindlee Mountain A
Brindlee Mountain B
Indian Springs
Boaz
Guntersville
Holy Spirit
Bob Jones
Alabama School of Fine Arts
LAMP
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

OK - in order to qualify for PACE, we must have 12 teams... We seem to have stalled at 11.

Steven, I still haven't heard anything from LAMP... You sure you are coming? I've got you down, but I need confirmation. Also, do you think LAMP can field 2 teams? That would solve the problem.

If anyone is interested in coming and you haven't e-mailed me yet, PLEASE do so ASAP!!! E-mail me at [email protected]

Also, anyone interested in the tournament that Athens State is hosting on the 3rd, the contact is Daniel McHan. His e-mail is [email protected]. Athens is my Alma Mater, and I know they will put on a great tournament!

They are also a PACE qualifier, but I've heard that they are having trouble getting teams, too...

-Lee
Last edited by quizbowllee on Tue Nov 02, 2004 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

AHHH - left a letter out of my e-mail address on that last post.

Should be [email protected]

I will edit previous post to correct that as well. If anyone e-mailed me, please re-send. Sorry.

-Lee
steven-lamp
Rikku

Post by steven-lamp »

We should be able to field two teams, and I'll talk to Mrs. Samford tomorrow about contacting you, but I know we're coming, because the two fall tournaments we have left are Brookwood and Brindlee Mountain.
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Ok. Registration for our tournament has picked up a bit. Here are the teams I have so far.

Altamont A
Altamont B
Boaz
Bob Jones
Brindlee Mountain A
Brindlee Mountain B (possibly)
Cullman A
Cullman B
Guntersville
Holy Spirit
Hoover A
Hoover B
Indian Springs
LAMP
Muscle Shoals A
Muscle Shoals B

As the roster increases, my idea of a full round-robin seems less and less likely. At any rate, we will probably be here for lunch AND we are planning to have a catered dinner as well. We may still do a full round robin, it just depends on how many teams register in the end.

Here is another idea I am tossing around: We have two randomly drawn pools of 8 or 9. We play a full round robin within the pools, and then take the top four from each pool (8 teams total) and do another full round robin with those teams only. That will be a long day, but then the teams that aren't in the running for the title will be able to leave if they want...

I feel confident that we COULD do a full round robin (roughly 15 rounds) and be done by 8:00 pm. I'm fine with that, but some others might think that's too late, especially if you have a long drive.

Any other ideas? I'll take suggestions from anyone. I just don't like the idea of doing a single-elimination play-off when a berth to a National Tournament is at stake...

-Lee
Dan Greenstein
Yuna

Post by Dan Greenstein »

Lee, I do not think you need to worry about the fact that bids for nationals are at stake. Not only does more than one team receive an automatic bid to PACE NSC, your tournament is in December and there are plenty of opportunities in the spring to not only earn automatic bids, but to also put together a portfolio if a team wants to apply for an "at-large" bid to one of the nationals.

Also, I do not know how hardcore high school students are in Alabama, but 7-10 rounds seems to be the most that all but the stronger teams want to play in my area of the country. Anything more than that brings forth complaints and schools leaving early. High schoolers are much less adament about playing large numbers of games compared to college players.

For your field size, a good format might be two divisions, with the top 3-4 from each division advancing to the playoffs, where each team plays each of the teams from the other division. You can then hold a final if necessary to determine a champion.
ASimPerson
Rikku

Post by ASimPerson »

Dan Greenstein wrote:Also, I do not know how hardcore high school students are in Alabama, but 7-10 rounds seems to be the most that all but the stronger teams want to play in my area of the country. Anything more than that brings forth complaints and schools leaving early. High schoolers are much less adament about playing large numbers of games compared to college players.
Back in my day, a tournament was considered long if you played 7 rounds. A lot of coaches probably still hold that attitude. (At Bob Jones we came around to round-robins my senior year, but our tournament was still short due to popular demand and lack of rounds.)
Nick Bendler, Georgia Tech '06
Moderator emeritus
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

OK. This is the final roster of registered teams. I have cut off registration, teams have had several weeks to reply, and I can't find many more experienced readers.

Altamont A
Altamont B
Boaz
Bob Jones
Brindlee Mountain A
Brindlee Mountain B
Cullman A
Cullman B
Guntersville
Holy Spirit
Hoover A
Hoover B
Indian Springs
LAMP
Muscle Shoals A
Muscle Shoals B
Pinson Valley

I am allowing coaches to vote on whether to do a full round robin. It will be a long tournament, but most of these teams are pretty "hard core."

If we do a full round robin, we will have lunch around noon, AND a catered dinner around 5:30 or 6:00. I think we can be done by 8:00 pm. So far, all coaches who have contacted me are in favor of the round robin... But several have yet to vote.

-Lee

steven-lamp
Rikku

Post by steven-lamp »

Well, Lee hasn't posted results yet, so I'll just give the 4 teams that got PACE NSC bids and then what I can recall of the all tournament team.

Format: 20 pyramidal tossups with 30 point non-bounceback bonuses. 14 team full round robin tournament...13 rounds (hardcore, fo shiz.)

1. Brindlee Mountain (12-1)
2. Indian Springs (11-2)
3. ASFA (11-2)
4. LAMP (11-2)

Okay, so I think it went like this for the 3 way 2nd tie. Indian Springs lost to LAMP and Brindlee. ASFA lost to Brindlee and Indian Springs. LAMP lost to ASFA and Altamont. Brindlee lost to LAMP. Anyway, since there was a tie, rankings were determined by total points.

All Tournament Team:
1. Evan Wilson (Indian Springs) 78 PPG?
2. David (ASFA) i think around 59 or 60 PPG
3. Cullman A Player around 48 or something
4. Steven Scoggan (LAMP) I don't remember, i think it was 44 though.

I don't have complete stats so I'll go ahead and let Lee post those into the database on his next visit.

Thanks to Lee and all the Brindlee Mountain guys for a well-run tournament. The format of the questions was excellent, but there were a lot of repeats, but that's okay I suppose. To any of the TN or KY teams that are on the board, or some of the Atlanta teams... this is a good tournament with pretty intense competition. You should seriously consider going next year....if not for the competition, just to make enough teams to split into divisions and give the readers a break. 13 rounds is not a lotta fun... :)
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Here are the results in full:

1st - Brindlee Mountain 12-1 248.8 ppg
2nd - Indian Springs 11-2 305.0 ppg
3rd - ASFA 11-2 241.2 ppg
4th - LAMP 11-2 227.7 ppg
5th - Holy Spirit 8-5 220.8 ppg
6th - Cullman 7-6 192.7 ppg
7th - Hoover A 6-6 166.7 ppg
8th - Muscle Shoals 6-7 151.9 ppg
9th - Vestavia Hills 6-7 129.2 ppg
10th - Bob Jones 5-8 114.2 ppg
11th - Altamont 4-9 152.0 ppg
12th - Guntersville 2-10 60.0 ppg
13th - Cullman B 1-12 35.8 ppg
14h - Hoover B 0-13 56.2 ppg

This was an incredibly tough competition with a few games won by a single question. Brindlee Mountain's only loss came to LAMP, but Brindlee only beat Cullman by 10. Also, the Brindlee Mountain/Indian Springs match came down to the last tossup.

There were several other VERY close matches that could have easily changed the outcome. I believe that LAMP only beat Cullman by 10 also... Cullman is a team that can come up and bite you on the rear if you underestimate them...

All-Tournament Team:

Evan Wilson - Indian Springs (74.29 ppg)
David John Gagne - ASFA (63.08 ppg)
Daniel Hollis - Cullman A (48.08 ppg)
Steven Scoggan - LAMP (43.46 ppg)
Andy Knowles - Brindlee Mountain (40.0 ppg)
Chen Song - Vestavia Hills (37.50 ppg)
Kirun Sankaran - Altamont (37.50 ppg)
Shahein Tajmir - Hoover A (30.83 ppg)

I would like to address the repeats... Our questions came from a number of sources from around the country who were good enough to make trades with us. All questions were sent to Daniel McHan and Kivin Childers who edited them. The fact that so many questions came from different sources was the main culprit in the repeats. Had I edited them myself, I think I could have caught a few more of them... However, I refused to look at the questions at all because my team was playing...

That being said, I would like to sincerely thank those who worked so hard on the editing process and those readers who gave up an entire day (and much of the night) for us.

Looking forward to more discussion -

-Lee
steven-lamp
Rikku

Post by steven-lamp »

Yeah, the repeats weren't a huge problem at all. Yes, we did only beat Cullman by 10. It was tense. We were beating them pretty handily, but they made a run, tied it up going into the last tossup, then I answered it early with "Attaturk" so that got us out of that little jam. We also only beat Holy Spirit by either 10 or 20, but I think that was in round 12 or something.
DVader
Wakka

Post by DVader »

I didn't really mind the repeats either. We did have one very close game, where we lost to Indian Springs by 10 points. Going into the last question we were down by 40 but we managed to answer the tossup and then on the bonus we only got 2 out of the 3 bonuses (stupid Yuan dynasty). Our other games all had pretty wide margins of victory, or in the case of Brindlee Mountain, loss. Overall, the tournament and Athens State the day before had lots of good competition and consistently challenged us the whole way through.
David John Gagne,
University of Oklahoma
steven-lamp
Rikku

Post by steven-lamp »

Well, I just want to make a sort of quirky remark about one of the questions. In fact, it was probably the best lead-in, or at least the best one I've heard, in a while.
It started "The game Dance Dance Revolution featured one of his compositions in the song Kakumei..."
Then, I buzzed with Chopin. It kind of confused the other team, I think it was one of the B teams or something, but, see, I am an AVID DDR player (I know, I know), and Chopin's Revolutionary Etude is actually done techno style on the song "Kakumei" and it's very, very cool. Just wondering if one of the Athens guys wrote that one or if that was a received question, because whoever wrote it probably plays a little DDR, too.
No Sollositing On Premise
Tidus

Post by No Sollositing On Premise »

I think I noticed that when I was with some of my friends from my high school's DDR club (I'm not in it, but there are upwards of fifty people from TJ that do it obsessively). Is it the obscenely difficult one with a weird bluish background when it plays?
Mike Sollosi, University of Virginia
steven-lamp
Rikku

Post by steven-lamp »

Actually, if it has a light blue background, then it's a song called V, which is actually another techno-classical blend. V's pretty hard, I think Kakumei is a little bit tricker, but V requires more speed. V is patterned after Vivaldi's Winter (of the Four Seasons).