Michigan '09-'10

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Novi2010
Lulu

Re: Michigan '09-'10

Post by Novi2010 »

The 2nd annual Novi Invitational will be held on Saturday, November 14th at Novi High School.

For more information, email [email protected]
Zhao Wang
Novi High School '10
master15625
Rikku

Post by master15625 »

Since this invitation is using IS-88, does Michigan or MSU know what set(s) they will be using or know that there will be no overlaps?
Neil Gurram
'10 DCDS
'15 MIT
'16 MIT
Quantum Mushroom Billiard Hat
Rikku

Post by Quantum Mushroom Billiard Hat »

According to NAQT's website, we have IS 90
Michael Hausinger
Coach, Bay City Western High School
formerly of University of Michigan and East Lansing High School
Broad-tailed Grassbird
Tidus

Post by Broad-tailed Grassbird »

master15625 wrote:Since this invitation is using IS-88, does Michigan or MSU know what set(s) they will be using or know that there will be no overlaps?
naqt doesn't overlap sets in the same state (except for leagues), check their website. Also, MSU is changing the date of our fall tournament, I'll probably have something finalized Monday night.
Nalin
Scranton Middle School (2000-2003)
Brighton High School (2003-2007)
Michigan State University (2007-2011)
Semi-Retired (2012-present)
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

I will be hosting a mirror of the Dunbar (KY) tournament on October 17, 2009. If interested, email me at [email protected].
David Riley
Coach Emeritus, Loyola Academy, Wilmette, Illinois, 1993-2010
Steering Committee, IHSSBCA, 1996 -
Member, PACE, 2012 -

"This is 1183, of course we're barbarians" -- Eleanor of Aquitaine in "The Lion in Winter"
Broad-tailed Grassbird
Tidus

Hey everyone,

Michigan State University will be hosting the Rube Goldberg Invitational VII (you're all invited!) on January 23rd. The question set will be IS-92. I will be posting details this week.
Nalin
Ringil
Rikku

Post by Ringil »

This discussion kind of died.

After 2 tournaments, I think we've gotten a feel for the top teams in the state. These are my thoughts.

I think DCDS is probably the best in the state at the moment. Yesterday, at Autumn Classic, they defeated DCC A pretty soundly 475-290. Though, they did lose Novi Wildcat, showing that they aren't unstoppable. Neil has been a beast lately though.

DCC A is probably the second best at the moment. They managed to sweep all the Michigan teams other than DCDS at Autumn Classic and they managed to win the Novi Wildcat, which shows they can take down DCDS. Their players seem to work well together too.

The next tier is probably, in no particular order, Novi A, DCC B, GPN, Troy, Dewitt, and Churchill. Novi A and DCC B seem to be a little better than the other 4, but the gap doesn't seem that great. The last two didn't go to Autumn Classic though :sad:
Still, these teams don't seem like they can quite keep up with DCDS and DCC A, which is why I put them in this tier.

Anybody else have thoughts?
Libo
Washington '14, Michigan '13, Troy High School '09
Rikku

Libo, I think DCD won at Novi. If I'm reading it right, DCC won the 9th/10th grade division.

I didn't get to see much of Autumn since I was in the stats room, but I did see three games DCD played. I did not get to see any games DCC played. I was happy to see that Neil has some support from his teammates. He will certainly do most of the tossup scoring for DCD this year, but he was getting significant help on the bonuses. I can't quantify that, but he missed the first 1.5 games of the tournament yet DCD still put up 385 points and 17 ppb in the first game.
Michael Hausinger
Ringil
Rikku

Post by Ringil »

You're right. I seem to have misread that. The numbers were close enough that my brain didn't function or something.
Libo
Novi2010
Lulu

Post by Novi2010 »

DCD beat CC at our tourney back in November.

After a few months, it's clear the top teams in the state are:

1. DCD
2. CC A
3. Novi A

There's lot's of other solid teams in the state, but right now these 3 stand out. DCD is the best, but on a bad day are vulnerable to lose to CC A. CC is clearly the 2nd best, but can also be vulnerable against Novi A on a bad day.

It'll be interesting as the year progresses to see which teams improve the most.
Zhao Wang
Novi High School '10
Broad-tailed Grassbird
Tidus

Novi2010 wrote:DCD beat CC at our tourney back in November.

1. DCD
2. CC A
3. Novi A

There's lot's of other solid teams in the state, but right now these 3 stand out. DCD is the best, but on a bad day are vulnerable to lose to CC A. CC is clearly the 2nd best, but can also be vulnerable against Novi A on a bad day.

It'll be interesting as the year progresses to see which teams improve the most.
I haven't seen any of these teams play since last year, so I am just going off stats (PPB being most important, PPTH also influences):

1) DCDS A
2) DCC A
3) DCC B
4) Novi A
T-5) Troy A
T-5) GPN A
7) Novi B

Other schools in the mix, that I don't have enough data on: Dewitt, Churchill, PCEP, but I feel like those would be in the top 10.

I know nothing about where those Plymouth-Canton-Salem schools go to tournaments, but I think Plymouth High had a good team last year. Sometimes I wonder if some of these schools just try to qualify for nationals and then go into hibernation until then. How are leagues doing?
Nalin
Ringil
Rikku

Post by Ringil »

Novi2010 wrote:DCD beat CC at our tourney back in November.

1. DCD
2. CC A
3. Novi A

Has Novi beaten DCC A or B this year?
Libo
master15625
Rikku

Post by master15625 »

Novi beat DCC C I believe at their tournament. They played DCC A and lost to them, if I recall at that tournament. I don't believe they played DCC B at all this year, but correct me if I am wrong.
Neil Gurram
'10 DCDS
'15 MIT
'16 MIT
Novi2010
Lulu

Post by Novi2010 »

Novi hasn't played CC B, but beat CC C earlier this year. Novi also beat Troy A this year in a closely contested game.
Zhao Wang
Novi High School '10
Broad-tailed Grassbird
Tidus

We need more tournaments. Well over 40 teams have asked to come to Rube. I haven't had enough time to turn them all away. This is fantastic, but with Autumn Classic and Rube filling well over their capacity, some high schools (that aren't in the Novi city limits) need to step up. Wayne just started their team, so they're still a year or two away from running tournaments.

I'm working on something for March.
Nalin
Broad-tailed Grassbird
Tidus

Hey everyone,

As I said over in the Rube thread, we hit capacity for our field. The MSU team is still rebuilding, and we feel that a field of 36 is good for this tournament. We are going to be hosting tournament in March and April, and I'll let you know soon about those. We are going to set ourselves up for those tournaments to have ~40 teams. March's should be NAQT (usual March Madness Invitational), and our spring break ends the 13th, so it'll be one of the later weekends in March. It stinks that I had to turn away local teams (Lansing and Okemos), as well as teams that have traditionally came out from the Detroit area (Novi among others).

Anyways, quiz bowl is getting big in this state, but we need to organize some things for it to not be too crazy. Maybe we need some sort of organization/alliance, or maybe just a date claim would be good enough.

Also, I'm just going to put it out there that we will be hosting a tournament on October 23 or 30th 2010 (preferably the 30th, but whenever ACF Fall is not).
Nalin
swwFCqb
Rikku

Post by swwFCqb »

nalin wrote:We need more tournaments.
I know it's a little bit of a drive, but CWRU in Cleveland is hosting two high school tournaments in March: the Jaryd W. Gilts Memorial Tournament on 3/6/10 and Great Lakes Regional Academic Championship on 3/27/10. The former is a house written (by "house" I mean me) hybrid-set to raise money for a scholarship fund set up for a recently deceased cousin of mine, while the latter is using HSAPQ Set-10. Both will be using the PACE format, and I am almost sure the latter will end up being a PACE qualifier. If those weekends are clear on the Michigan calendar, I would love to see some Michigan teams down in our neck of the woods - it's only about a 3 hour drive from the Detroit area. We usually have the pleasure of seeing DCC, but I would love to have DCD, Novi, and other elite Michigan schools show up as well.

For details, you can check out the tournament announcments on the Ohio Quizbowl Forum or email me at sww8 [at] case [dot] edu to get the tournament announcment email I sent out to Ohio coaches.
Steven Wellstead
Fisher Catholic High School '07
Case Western Reserve University '11
NAQT writer
Unicolored Jay
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Unicolored Jay »

If it's possible, I'd like to see Michigan teams come to our tournament on the 13th and 14th of February. We're using the same set Michigan State is using.

EDIT: Along with another set of questions on Sunday (TBA), so there's more than just NAQT here.
Last edited by Unicolored Jay on Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jasper Lee
University of Tennessee Health Science Center '21
The Ohio State University '14
Solon High School '10
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh »

The 2/6/10 Huskie Bowl at NIU (DeKalb, IL) would love to see some Michigan teams come down. It's a long drive, but there's a small travel discount, the field is shaping up nicely, and we're running a small trash tourney afterwards to give you more quizbowl for your Saturday.
Brad Fischer
Head Editor, IHSA State Series
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Northern Illinois University ('10)
Assistant Coach, IMSA (2010-12)
Coach, Keith Country Day School (2012-16)
master15625
Rikku

Post by master15625 »

nalin wrote:
Anyways, quiz bowl is getting big in this state, but we need to organize some things for it to not be too crazy. Maybe we need some sort of organization/alliance, or maybe just a date claim would be good enough.
if this said organization comes about, would they be the ones who determine who is on the team for HSAPQ National Tournament, which I believe we thought Michigan would be willing to send a team to the national tournament.
Neil Gurram
'10 DCDS
'15 MIT
'16 MIT
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

If I might interject from that state across the lake :grin:

These are all good ideas. Our coaches' association begins to plan a tournament calendar in May the year before. There are many claimed dates for regularly occurring tournaments, and often teams in the same region will try to coordinate their dates so teams ten miles apart don't host tournaments on the same day (though this is getting harder to do with the increase in tournaments, and there are several examples of IHSA-style tournaments being played on the same day as NAQT or HSAPQ tournaments.

Then, for NASAT we are holding a tryout at the University of Illinois in February, A subcommittee of current coaches, moderators, and recent graduates/quiz bowl players will choose a team of five to represent Illinois.

I would encourage you wolverines to form an alliance, whatever. In many ways, it will make your quiz bowl lives much easier.
David Riley
Coach Emeritus, Loyola Academy, Wilmette, Illinois, 1993-2010
Steering Committee, IHSSBCA, 1996 -
Member, PACE, 2012 -

"This is 1183, of course we're barbarians" -- Eleanor of Aquitaine in "The Lion in Winter"
Ringil
Rikku

Post by Ringil »

nalin wrote:Hey everyone,

As I said over in the Rube thread, we hit capacity for our field. The MSU team is still rebuilding, and we feel that a field of 36 is good for this tournament. We are going to be hosting tournament in March and April, and I'll let you know soon about those. We are going to set ourselves up for those tournaments to have ~40 teams. March's should be NAQT (usual March Madness Invitational), and our spring break ends the 13th, so it'll be one of the later weekends in March. It stinks that I had to turn away local teams (Lansing and Okemos), as well as teams that have traditionally came out from the Detroit area (Novi among others).
I think Troy is looking at hosting a tournament on one of the earlier weeks of March. This is still tentative because they need to talk to the administration. Just an fyi.
Libo
ryandillon
Wakka

Post by ryandillon »

Hey, I know that some people from CC may be interested in trying out so I'm just wondering if anyone was planning on having tryouts for NASAT?
Ryan Dillon

Detroit Catholic Central Class of 2011
University of Michigan Class of 2015
Rikku

Michigan does not have any plans to host anything for NASAT.
Michael Hausinger
master15625
Rikku

Post by master15625 »

I mean, I have a feeling that a tryout for this will not occur. So, I really hope that we can figure out who the best people would be to go to this tournament, because this is a great tournament that Michigan as a team should enter.
Neil Gurram
'10 DCDS
'15 MIT
'16 MIT
Rikku

Looking at stats from Autumn, here are my thoughts.

First, Neil is obviously the best player in the state, and should have the chance to play on any team that forms.

To figure out the rest is a lot harder. The teams playing at NASAT would presumably all be very, very, good. Players who score lots of points by knowing giveaways will probably not do very well there. Mike from Kalamazoo Christian scored plenty of points, but had only four powers all day. Meanwhile, something like 5 players from DCC A had more powers on the day while playing on a more balanced team, and had a better P/N ratio. I would guess that the DCC players would do better against a very competitive field.

I would guess that the other three players to make the best Michigan team of people who played at Autumn would be some combination of DCC people and Stephen and Matthew from GPN. Mike from Kalamazoo Christian and Yunbo from Novi should certainly be considered too.

Did any really good players miss Autumn?
Michael Hausinger
ryandillon
Wakka

Post by ryandillon »

Uhhh Cam from White Cloud was the 2nd or 3rd overall scorer at the tournament at Tippecanoe in Ohio.
Ryan Dillon

Rufous-capped Thornbill
Tidus

Post by Rufous-capped Thornbill »

ryandillon wrote:Uhhh Cam from White Cloud was the 2nd or 3rd overall scorer at the tournament at Tippecanoe in Ohio.
Having played Cameron at Tipp and the DCC kids at ACE, Cameron's a solid player, but not as dynamic as the CC kids. He might do well at a tryout, though, so I don't know.
Jarret Greene
South Range '10 / Ohio State '13 / Vermont '17
master15625
Rikku

Post by master15625 »

Also, wasn't that tournament A series? I don't mean to sound like A series is more basic than the normal, but I feel that we need a common tournament set to compare people with. I am fairly certain that NASAT will be much harder than NAQT IS and therefore A series, so we should try to find stats for tournaments closer to NASAT.

There will be more to come I am pretty sure. How many people from each state are we allowed to have? Also, before we can jump into who could possibly come to NASAT, we must check that those people are free to come those days.
Neil Gurram
'10 DCDS
'15 MIT
'16 MIT
Rufous-capped Thornbill
Tidus

Post by Rufous-capped Thornbill »

Neil,

Yeah, it was an A-set. And teams are allowed 4-6 players.
Jarret Greene
South Range '10 / Ohio State '13 / Vermont '17
Ethnic history of the Vilnius region
Auron

Post by Ethnic history of the Vilnius region »

Just as an FYI regarding the NASAT, although teams are allowed to have up to 6 players on their rosters, this will be a normal 4 players-at-once tournament. Teams do not need to feel obligated to pay for alternates is they don't expect the alternates to get any playing time.
Eric D.
University of South Carolina Alum
master15625
Rikku

Post by master15625 »

So like the deadline is just over a month? Have we had any ideas yet?
Neil Gurram
'10 DCDS
'15 MIT
'16 MIT
Broad-tailed Grassbird
Tidus

I was really impressed by Country Day A and Catholic Central A. Both are legitimate contenders to win a national championship. They are head and shoulders about the rest of the state. Dewitt played a split squad today, so their

As for a NASAT team, I sat in on 1 match the whole day, and playoff stats are still untabulated (i'll get them in tomorrow). Just flipping through stuff, Sandeep from Troy almost single-handedly took down DCC A. I don't know what he specializes in, but he had a 1/6/2 line in that game, and that in itself deserves. Cameron from White Cloud was once again impressive, he'll make some noise in the small school playoffs. His playoff stats should also shed some light. Everyone on CC A is a candidate for NASAT.

DCC has a tourney on the 13th, and Mark should be announcing March Madness on 3/27 soon.

The state tournament will be on 4/17 at MSU as well.

The KMO states is the 23-24. Should I boycott it, or experience it from within to come up with a better idea of how to overhaul things?

Anyways, I saw a lot of good quizbowlers today, and I hope you all continue in college, wherever you go.
Nalin
master15625
Rikku

Post by master15625 »

What would the tournament on the 27th of March's Questions be?
Neil Gurram
'10 DCDS
'15 MIT
'16 MIT
Broad-tailed Grassbird
Tidus

master15625 wrote:What would the tournament on the 27th of March's Questions be?
IS-94.

NAQT States is IS-95. I'm trying to work on mirroring something, but I need to see if it still exists (pre-nats tourney mirror).
Nalin
Ringil
Rikku

Post by Ringil »

Just flipping through stuff, Sandeep from Troy almost single-handedly took down DCC A. I don't know what he specializes in, but he had a 1/6/2 line in that game, and that in itself deserves.
He's a science specialist, which is pretty cool since he's only a sophomore.
Libo
Broad-tailed Grassbird
Tidus

Just to restart the fire, who will be attending the worst tournament ever on April 23-24? I never did get a realistic idea for reforming that craphole. I'm debating boycotting it all together, and I won't be on the "leadership team".
Nalin
master15625
Rikku

Post by master15625 »

nalin wrote:Just to restart the fire, who will be attending the worst tournament ever on April 23-24? I never did get a realistic idea for reforming that craphole. I'm debating boycotting it all together, and I won't be on the "leadership team".
I am sorry, what do you mean by Worst Tournament? What is this worst tournament you speak of?
Neil Gurram
'10 DCDS
'15 MIT
'16 MIT
Broad-tailed Grassbird
Tidus

master15625 wrote:
nalin wrote:Just to restart the fire, who will be attending the worst tournament ever on April 23-24? I never did get a realistic idea for reforming that craphole. I'm debating boycotting it all together, and I won't be on the "leadership team".
I am sorry, what do you mean by Worst Tournament? What is this worst tournament you speak of?
MSU Honors College States, anything else I would call it is not appropriate for this forum. Double Elimination KMO
Nalin
master15625
Rikku

Post by master15625 »

Oh.

I thought it was the 16-17; I guess I was wrong. Thanks for the heads up.
Neil Gurram
'10 DCDS
'15 MIT
'16 MIT
Broad-tailed Grassbird
Tidus

master15625 wrote:Oh.

I thought it was the 16-17; I guess I was wrong. Thanks for the heads up.
Nah, NAQT states is the 17th. Hopefully our good quiz bowl can overshadow the following week's bad quiz bowl.
Nalin
Broad-tailed Grassbird
Tidus

Random announcements that don't fit anywhere.

1) MSU will be having summer practices. We invite anyone in the area to come out (hs, college, unaffiliated too).

2) We still have open spots for NAQT states.

3) On the way back from ICT, Chris and I started working on the push to revamp the "Michigan High School Quiz Bowl State Championship" aka that one tournament run on KMO questions. We'll be putting out a survey at both NAQT states this Saturday, and the following week at the KMO tournament. This survey will be necessary to convince the administration to accept change. If you will not be attending either of these let me know so I can include your input. We'll use the survey results to help us identify the best solution to this problem, and the goal is to have a better tournament for 2011.

4) Does quiz bowl exist west of the capital area (besides the circuit with White Cloud, Reed City, Mason County, etc.)? I'm trying to find teams in the GR, Battle Creek, Holland, Kalamazoo, and Michiana areas.
Nalin
ryandillon
Wakka

Post by ryandillon »

nalin wrote:Random announcements that don't fit anywhere.

1) MSU will be having summer practices. We invite anyone in the area to come out (hs, college, unaffiliated too).

4) Does quiz bowl exist west of the capital area (besides the circuit with White Cloud, Reed City, Mason County, etc.)? I'm trying to find teams in the GR, Battle Creek, Holland, Kalamazoo, and Michiana areas.

Let me know when. I'll go.

And Kalamazoo Christian has made their way as far as Culver if I'm not mistaken.
Ryan Dillon

DrCongo
Wakka

Post by DrCongo »

nalin wrote:1) MSU will be having summer practices. We invite anyone in the area to come out (hs, college, unaffiliated too).
I'd be really interested in this, too. Any chance I could get the practice schedule?
Bobby Dorigo Jones
Detroit Catholic Central '12
Michigan State University '16
Harvard '17
Broad-tailed Grassbird
Tidus

ryandillon wrote:
nalin wrote:Random announcements that don't fit anywhere.

Let me know when. I'll go.

And Kalamazoo Christian has made their way as far as Culver if I'm not mistaken.
Ah yes, Kalamazoo Christian, forgot about them. But still, that's a lot of big public schools (that tend to achieve in almost every aspect except quiz bowl).

No idea on practice schedule yet, we're still a month away. It'll be evenings though 7-9, on whatever days we end up deciding.
Nalin
master15625
Rikku

Post by master15625 »

So who is ready for KMO???

I really don't know what to expect for this year's tournament; the questions are just unpredictable.
Neil Gurram
'10 DCDS
'15 MIT
'16 MIT
ryandillon
Wakka

Post by ryandillon »

Is the field update available anywhere?
Ryan Dillon

DrCongo
Wakka

Post by DrCongo »

master15625 wrote:the questions are just unpredictable.
I'm expecting about 5 true/false per half haha.

I also wanted to congratulate Nalin and the rest of the MSU quiz bowl team on another very well-run and well-moderated tournament. It was a lot of fun.

KMO's gonna be exciting.
Bobby Dorigo Jones
Harvard '17
Broad-tailed Grassbird
Tidus

Thanks guys.

KMO works like this. Double elim. You'll see the brackets when you get to the Union on Friday. Someone from the team has been doing them last couple of years, so she knows who to put where (aka Dewitt wouldn't be playing DCD until at least 3 rounds in). I'm assuming the field sizes are about the same, as the coordinator didn't mention anything.

I'm putting out a coaches survey to "better understand the needs and desires of high school quiz bowl in Michigan". You can read it as, does KMO suck?

I'm posting the same survey on survey monkey for players to vote on. I need your name and school just so I know that its not John Doe from Freelance Quizbowl University (i'll only be considering players from within the state's opinions). I am doing this survey to show the MSU honors college that things need to be changed. Please vote if you want something to change. This survey should catalyze some action on this, as we were not able to figure out what was an acceptable format for this tournament.

SURVEY: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/RG2M3PC

I probably won't working at KMO, just because my voice is still shot as we found out yesterday in practice (bronchitis), and I can't stand to judge. I might pop in for a round or two just because I have to drop off DCD's buzzers.

Anyways, bring your laptops, the Union has guest wifi, and live blog this hilarity on AHAN.

One subject in KMO gets a lot of questions cut off, just based on the fact that the questions are of such poor quality. I think it's science.
Nalin
DrCongo
Wakka

Post by DrCongo »

nalin wrote: I'm assuming the field sizes are about the same
What field size do you expect for division A?
Bobby Dorigo Jones
Harvard '17