High School Lit Singles Tourney (after NTV, 12/19/2009)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

Re: High School Lit Singles Tourney (after NTV, 12/19/2009)

Post by Maxwell Sniffingwell »

Other than a few logistical issues (me finishing third despite going 4-2 to Ben's 3-3 against the same schedule, Geringer reading the wrong packet,) this tourney went really well.

I was expecting a tourney of high-schoolers-writing-their-first-tourney quality, and that's not what I got at all - this was an excellent tournament. Six rounds of quality, consistently accessible but infrequently transparent or overly-easy tossups is quite a feat, Dan - you should be proud of the job that you (and Lloydonald et al.) did.
Greg Peterson

Northwestern University '18
Lawrence University '11
Maine South HS '07

"a decent player" - Mike Cheyne
Papa's in the House
Tidus

Post by Papa's in the House »

Dan-Don wrote: And I just broke my flash drive in two while it was sticking out of my computer. FML. Anyways, the Mortals stats include the scores of all 6 rounds, so they're not best. When I get a new flash drive, I'll fix all this. Or Jonah or Donald can if they're so inclined.
I'm beginning to think any flash drives that come near Donald are cursed.

Having served as a moderator for this, I found this to be a really good tournament (at least, when not having to read the same packet twice after Jeff's mix-up). The tossups were relatively pyramidal and rewarded those who read the books (based on the few works I've read that came up). Good job to the editors/writers that made this happen.
Charles Martin Jr.
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
Academic Buzzer Team | President
B.S. in Accountancy, August 2011
B.S. in Finance, August 2011
MAS Program, Class of 2012
The Moviegoer
Lulu

Post by The Moviegoer »

I too had a very good time playing this set. I also discovered I have a terrible propensity to neg. Especially around Glerum.
Craig Messner
Hopkins
UCLA 2021
Illinois '12
Lakes Community '08
abnormal abdomen
Rikku

Post by abnormal abdomen »

cmessner wrote:I too had a very good time playing this set. I also discovered I have a terrible propensity to neg. Especially around Glerum.
High five.
Abid Haseeb
Auburn High School '12
Brown University '16
Writer, HSAPQ
Writer, NAQT
Tanay
Rikku

Post by Tanay »

I was responsible for most of the World Literature and European Literature for the third and fourth packets and would like to be informed if anyone thought the answer choices or questions were too easy, too hard, or not right in some other way.
Tanay
ex-Berkeley, ex-Bellarmine
Dan-Don
Yuna

Post by Dan-Don »

Remember, though, these sets ARE NOT CLEARED FOR DISCUSSION. Give any question-specific feedback via email to me ([email protected]) or Tanay ([email protected]) or Lloyd Sy ([email protected]), depending on who wrote the question. If you were there and want a copy of the packets, email me.
Dan Donohue, Saint Viator ('10), Northwestern ('14), NAQT
theMoMA
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by theMoMA »

Dan was kind enough to let some Minnesota types run an informal tournament on his set, and we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. We collectively donated $30 for Dan's PACE fund for the questions.

For those of you interested in such things, stats are below (no negs were recorded, and we played the questions free-for-all):

Mike: 5 GP, 3-6, 21 PPG
Bernadette: 4 GP, 2-3, 15 PPG
Rob: 5 GP, 24-20, 112 PPG
Gautam: 5 GP, 8-13, 50 PPG
Andrew: 5 GP, 35-14, 133 PPG
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum