Quizbowl Camps

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
QOHS
Lulu

Quizbowl Camps

Post by QOHS »

Hello. First time poster/user. I plan to explore the newbie section soon, but I was wondering if anyone would be willing to share some info about quizbowl camps. I have players interested in attending, and the only one my google search reveals is ACE. Is that a good one? Are there any others that may be better (or closer to DC?) Is this generally an effective training for summer for players that are very good and trying to become great? Any input is greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Rev. Joshua M. Schuman
Quince Orchard High School
Gaithersburg, Maryland
Eric Huff
Wakka

Re: Quizbowl Camps

Post by Eric Huff »

Now, admittedly, I have bias, but I was both a customer (I was a camper at the first ever ACE camp in 1994) and an employee long before I took a leadership role in the company.

Speaking as a coach, I think that there are few things that my players can do to improve so much in such a short period of time than to attend camp. My players leave camp with both a wealth of knowledge and the tools necessary to develop and build upon that knowledge (not to mention 5 days worth of intense competition on the buzzer). That's why every Dorman player is strongly encouraged to attend camp each year (and would be even if I had no affiliation with the camp).

Because we group players by ability/experience level (both in terms of classroom instruction and in competition), our program can provide a great experience and will help you improve no matter where you are as a quizbowl player. In any given camp we have a wide variety of quizbowl players from those who have never seen buzzers to those who are top 10 scorers at HSCNT/PACE NSC.

If you have any questions about the camp, I'd be happy to answer them. Just shoot me an email...

eric AT acequizbowlcamp.com

or visit http://www.acequizbowlcamp.com
or http://www.facebook.com/acequizbowlcamp
or http://www.twitter.com/acequizbowlcamp
Eric Huff

National History Bee (eric AT historybee.com)
ACE Quizbowl Camps (eric AT acequizbowlcamp.com)
Former Head Coach, Dorman High School (2001-2012)

http://www.historybee.com
http://www.acequizbowlcamp.com
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

I have not encountered any other quizbowl camp besides ACE other than the occasional one run by some school that's solely for their feeder players, although I believe even the one example of that near me has died out in favor of attending ACE. Is there even any alternate program for this market? I'd assume not.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Rufous-capped Thornbill
Tidus

Post by Rufous-capped Thornbill »

Send your kids to ACE. I went this summer, and it's one of the biggest catalysts for my improvement as a player this summer. I really wish I would have known about and went to it earlier in my quizbowl career, I would be a better player for it. It's a great experience.
Jarret Greene
South Range '10 / Ohio State '13 / Vermont '17
Huang
Rikku

Post by Huang »

ACE is really better suited for your newer players. Based on my one experience in 2008, the camp really emphasizes lists. Some classes may even include general overviews of the "canon." If your players do decide to go, I would recommend whatever art classes are offered because those tend to be the better ones. Maybe send your experienced players if they wish to compete in the 3-4 pyramidal tournaments during the night.
Sandy
Rountree
Rikku

Post by Rountree »

Sandy, remind which camp you went to; I have forgotten.

In terms of the ability levels targeted at ACE camp, I can say that we have had, and will continue to have, many experienced "A" team players come to camp. In fact, many of our players have more than 1-2 years of high school quizbowl experience. Since, as Mr. Huff said, we group individuals by ability and knowledge, there is always a place for any kind of player at camp, whether you be a seasoned senior, or a middle-schooler just learning how to play. Of course, some of our classes do use lists to help expose kids to the "canon" - particularly our classes for newer, less experienced players. However, other classes have more of a discussion/lecture feel to them.
Elliott Rountree
Lambert Coach, 2017-present
Buford Coach, 2014-2015
Chattahoochee Coach, 2004-2014
GATA, 2018-present; 2007-2014
ACE, 2000-2013
Nine-Tenths Ideas
Auron

Post by Nine-Tenths Ideas »

As a fairly local player to QO, I can attest that ACE camp is worth sending players to. Both years I went to ACE I gained something; last year I took Ted Gioia's ridiculously comprehensive philosophy class and a good Social Science class taught by Mr. Huff, and this year I took Nick Clusserath's American Lit and Mr. Rountree's World Lit class and Mr. Huff's World History class.
Admittedly, they are at times list-based, but they certainly give you a good base of knowledge to work off of, and a better understanding of the "canon." Welcome to the boards.
Isaac Hirsch
University of Maryland '14
Never Gonna Play Again
QOHS
Lulu

Post by QOHS »

Thanks for the input everyone! I'm so glad coaches urged me to come to this board. I've learned so much! You'll see many more questions posted from me in the coming days as I try to navigate through this sometimes confusing, acronym-laden world of quizbowl...that at my school until this year, had been only about Kevin Keegan and Mac McGary!
Rev. Joshua M. Schuman
Quince Orchard High School
Gaithersburg, Maryland
Huang
Rikku

Post by Huang »

RountreeCHS wrote:Sandy, remind which camp you went to; I have forgotten.
Milligan
Sandy
AlphaQuizBowler
Tidus

Post by AlphaQuizBowler »

I thought the Literature classes I took were great this year--Modern World Lit really expanded my knowledge of non-American, non-British authors. I think that ACE can be valuable for experienced players because of the tournament experience. After finishing camp, I had played in one general singles tournament, 1 subject-specific singles tournament, and 3 multiple-round team tournaments, as well as many hours in buzzer practice. The tournament questions were good quality, and it was fun to play on different teams every night. Plus, you get to meet other people who enjoy quizbowl. I definitely recommend ACE camp.
William
Alpharetta High School '11
Harvard '15
Self-incompatibility in plants
Rikku

Post by Self-incompatibility in plants »

QOHS wrote:Thanks for the input everyone! I'm so glad coaches urged me to come to this board. I've learned so much! You'll see many more questions posted from me in the coming days as I try to navigate through this sometimes confusing, acronym-laden world of quizbowl...that at my school until this year, had been only about Kevin Keegan and Mac McGary!
Yea... Keegan is great in is own little cult of a certain type of quiz bowl, but from now on, I would highly recommend you stick to the advice of these forums now that you know about them. Welcome to the boards!
Trey Taraila
Caesar Rodney 2010
University of Delaware 2014
Angry Babies in Love
Yuna

Post by Angry Babies in Love »

Self-incompatibility in plants wrote:
QOHS wrote:Thanks for the input everyone! I'm so glad coaches urged me to come to this board. I've learned so much! You'll see many more questions posted from me in the coming days as I try to navigate through this sometimes confusing, acronym-laden world of quizbowl...that at my school until this year, had been only about Kevin Keegan and Mac McGary!
Yea... Keegan is great in is own little cult of a certain type of quiz bowl, but from now on, I would highly recommend you stick to the advice of these forums now that you know about them. Welcome to the boards!
I'm really happy you guys are breaking out of the Keegan/It's Ac prison that has hold of almost every team in the county except a small handful. If you ever get the chance, try to sway other teams in MoCo to do the same, because the more the merrier!
Raynell Cooper
Arcadia ES '04
Richard Montgomery HS '11
George Washington University '15
University of Maryland, College Park '17
Hella things, National History Bee and Bowl