Three team matches

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
friendswithdave
Lulu

Three team matches

Post by friendswithdave »

First time poster here - Woo Hoo!

I'm new to the whole Quiz Bowl thing, but I'm learning quickly. Does anyone have any experience with matches between three teams at one time. I know this is common for game shows, but seems uncommon or unheard of for Quiz Bowl. What gives? Three team matches seems to make sense to me.

friendswithdave
Leon Pfeiffer
Executive Director
North Carolina Association for Scholastic Activities (NCASA)
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Re: Three team matches

Post by Mechanical Beasts »

friendswithdave wrote:First time poster here - Woo Hoo!

I'm new to the whole Quiz Bowl thing, but I'm learning quickly. Does anyone have any experience with matches between three teams at one time. I know this is common for game shows, but seems uncommon or unheard of for Quiz Bowl. What gives? Three team matches seems to make sense to me.
Objections generally include:
1) People like it when tossups rebound, i.e., when they can be answered by the other participants after one team negs. This is impossible to implement with three-team formats: if one team negs and more than one of the teams knows the answer at the moment the first team negged, then the team that converts it (all teams that want to buzz will hold down the buzzer while the buzzer isn't cleared) will either be random or always one team (I don't know enough about buzzer wiring to say for sure, and I imagine it depends on the type of system). Either result doesn't work for a fair game.
2) A team that would beat either of its opponents to most of the questions might lose a three-way game, even though it would win either individual matchup. Simplify by saying that it's a tossups-only format and there are three subjects--lit, science, history. Team A has strengths 5-0-0, Team B has strengths 3-3-3, and team C has strengths 0-0-5. Team B could beat either team on the strength of its abilities in its opponents' two off subjects in head to head matches, but would only be able to manage tossups in the second off-subject in a three team match. This actually happened to a Michigan team at a past incarnation of, I think, Penn Bowl.
Andrew Watkins
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

Crazy Andy Watkins wrote:This actually happened to a Michigan team at a past incarnation of, I think, Penn Bowl.
Illinois Open.
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

The objective of any good quizbowl tournament is to determine the tournament champion. Three-team tournaments inherently make this a problem. The problem Andy alluded to occurs when Team B would beat both Team A and Team C in head-to-head matches, but points that it would earn against Team A are stolen by Team C and points that it would earn against Team C are stolen by Team A, such that team B actually appears to be the worst of the three teams!

Another goal of a good tournament is to accurately rank the non-champions. This becomes an issue with three-team matches occurs when one team is significantly better than the other two teams. This happened in the 2002 Southern California HS State Championship, in which a circle of death was broken by a three-team championship match. Los Alamitos nearly doubled the combined score of the other two teams; it was impossible to accurately rank the other two teams, because they were both answering so few tossups that it largely became a test of "whose knowledge overlaps less with Los Alamitos."

One way to get around these inherent problems has been proposed by the people behind BAAL; however, I have heard mixed reactions from people who have actually played this format.
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org
UC Irvine 2008-2013; UCLA 2004-2007; Capistrano Valley High School 2000-2003

"It's a competition, but it's not a sport. On a scale, if football is a 10, then rowing would be a two. One would be Quiz Bowl." --Matt Birk on rowing, SI On Campus, 10/21/03

"If you were my teammate, I would have tossed your ass out the door so fast you'd be emitting Cerenkov radiation, but I'm not classy like Dwight." --Jerry
friendswithdave
Lulu

Post by friendswithdave »

Thanks so much for your prompt replies. Both informative and educational. About how often is the three-team format used? Less than 1%? 1-5%? 5-15%? More?

Thanks again!
Leon Pfeiffer
Executive Director
North Carolina Association for Scholastic Activities (NCASA)
Wall of Ham
Rikku

Post by Wall of Ham »

Panasonic Academic Challenge (now some other jumble of letters) used to have up to 6 teams playing at once. I think they did it by moving on to the next tossup after any incorrect answer, and penalizing that team the amount of points the tossup was worth (?).

Most buzzer systems don't have lockout wiring for three separate teams, so it's not used in any tournament you'll find on this board (I think).
Barry
Cornell
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Post by Mechanical Beasts »

friendswithdave wrote:Thanks so much for your prompt replies. Both informative and educational. About how often is the three-team format used? Less than 1%? 1-5%? 5-15%? More?

Thanks again!
Essentially unheard of in the modern college game or the parts of the high school circuit that are run in any substantial way by college quizbowlers or former college quizbowlers. Probably used in some league formats, particularly because league formats often have a lot in common with the local TV format (which likes three-side games because of Jeopardy!, I guess). But I don't have much knowledge of league formats.
Andrew Watkins
Angry Babies in Love
Yuna

Post by Angry Babies in Love »

I think the three-team format is common on TV shows so they can fit the highest number of schools on their schedule. Washington, DC's "It's Academic", for example, could not fit 81 schools into a season very easily with a two-team format. Besides that, two-team is better because it serves an important comparative purpose
Raynell Cooper
Arcadia ES '04
Richard Montgomery HS '11
George Washington University '15
University of Maryland, College Park '17
Hella things, National History Bee and Bowl
the return of AHAN
Auron

Post by the return of AHAN »

Wall of Ham wrote: Most buzzer systems don't have lockout wiring for three separate teams, so it's not used in any tournament you'll find on this board (I think).
This. If you check out QuizCo.com, they offer a multi-team buzzer system, but I know of no other vendors outside of them. But, as has been alluded to, I don't know how easy it'll be to find schools willing to play this format. For example, I know of nowhere in Illinois where more than 2 teams play at a time, but your results may vary.
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach (2021 & 2023 HSNCT Champions, 2023 PACE Champions, 2023 Illinois Masonic Bowl Class 3A State Champions)
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Not That Kind of Christian!!
Yuna

Post by Not That Kind of Christian!! »

Wall of Ham wrote:Panasonic Academic Challenge (now some other jumble of letters) used to have up to 6 teams playing at once. I think they did it by moving on to the next tossup after any incorrect answer, and penalizing that team the amount of points the tossup was worth (?).

Most buzzer systems don't have lockout wiring for three separate teams, so it's not used in any tournament you'll find on this board (I think).
I played this from 2004-2006, and at that time other teams could pick up a correct answer after an incorrect one was given, but I think there was only one more chance at it. Maybe? I've tried to block it from my memory. The penalization policy was as stated, though.

In a nutshell, the multiple teams method was miserable.
Hannah Kirsch
Brandeis University 2010
NYU School of Medicine 2014

"Wow, those Scandinavians completely thorbjorned my hard-earned political capital."
Jesus vs. Dragons
Tidus

Post by Jesus vs. Dragons »

Wall of Ham wrote:Panasonic Academic Challenge (now some other jumble of letters) used to have up to 6 teams playing at once. I think they did it by moving on to the next tossup after any incorrect answer, and penalizing that team the amount of points the tossup was worth (?).

At CAC this happens. 6 teams play 3 rounds worth 5,10, and 15 points and if one team buzzes in, it is deducted the corresponding points for a wrong answer and no one else gets to buzz. It is extremely frustrating if a team decides to simply buzz on the first word in an attempt to make a comeback, and thankfully pretty much every major competition is between 2 teams.
Ethan Hewett
UF 2013
Chipola College 2010
Sneads High School 2009
Tanay
Rikku

Post by Tanay »

cvdwightw wrote: One way to get around these inherent problems has been proposed by the people behind BAAL; however, I have heard mixed reactions from people who have actually played this format.
Well, BAAL is still three teams playing at once. They invite four teams over to a central site and then those teams each play three games out of four (one team gets a bye in each round). The same problems Dwight outlined exist when playing BAAL formats, as it makes for a wildly unpredictable game that doesn't necessarily award the most educated team. Last year, for example, Mission San Jose A finished 12th and Berkeley A finished 13th. These are some of the best teams on the West Coast, and they get slaughtered by the unpredictable nature of three-way quiz bowl. This isn't to discredit the three-way format altogether, as I'm sure there are legitimate ways to implement it (we have played good three-way matches like Bellarmine/MSJ A/MSJ B and Bellarmine/MSJ A/San Mateo in the past), but the BAAL format isn't it.
Tanay
ex-Berkeley, ex-Bellarmine
ppreston
Lulu

Post by ppreston »

Down here in Florida the state & national tourneys (National Tournament of Academic Excellence (NTAE), nee Panasonic Academic Competition (PAC), aka Commisioner's Academic Challenge (CAC), aka Disney-style, aka Reedy Creek Improvement District, aka ad nauseum...), as some have noted, play six teams at once. The problem is, no bouncebacks. A buzzer system once witnessed by me however gave me a vision of the possible future. It kept track of who buzzed in first, second, etc. So conceivably you could play 3+ teams with an NAQT set and keep track of everything. One can dream, can't one?
Dr. Peter Preston, MA, MMHC, PhD.
Stetson 1990, USF 2004, Barry 2012
Chain of Lakes Collegiate High School
999 Avenue H NE Winter Haven, Florida 33881
Guidance Counselor & English 6-12 DOE# 690820
Former Hardee HS Team Coach: FHSAA Champs '04, '06-'08
Phone: (863) 298-6800, Facsimile: (863) 298-6801
rjaguar3
Rikku

Post by rjaguar3 »

ppreston wrote:Down here in Florida the state & national tourneys (National Tournament of Academic Excellence (NTAE), nee Panasonic Academic Competition (PAC), aka Commisioner's Academic Challenge (CAC), aka Disney-style, aka Reedy Creek Improvement District, aka ad nauseum...), as some have noted, play six teams at once. The problem is, no bouncebacks. A buzzer system once witnessed by me however gave me a vision of the possible future. It kept track of who buzzed in first, second, etc. So conceivably you could play 3+ teams with an NAQT set and keep track of everything. One can dream, can't one?
I made a computer lockout system that recognizes order of buzzing. I'm trying to find where I put it, though.
Greg (Vanderbilt 2012, Wheaton North 2008)
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

BuzzerSystems.com also has one of those. I can't think of any non-hypothetical circumstance in which it's worth $400, but maybe someone will develop one.
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
nobthehobbit
Rikku

Post by nobthehobbit »

jonah wrote:BuzzerSystems.com also has one of those. I can't think of any non-hypothetical circumstance in which it's worth $400, but maybe someone will develop one.
Well, depending on how you run a singles event... but that's not worth $400.
Daniel Pareja, Waterloo, Canadian quizbowl iconoclast

Stats zombie.
William Lyon Mackenzie King wrote:There are few men in this Parliament for whom I have greater respect than the leader of the Co-operative Commonwealth Federation. I admire him in my heart, because time and again he has had the courage to say what lays on his conscience, regardless of what the world might think of him. A man of that calibre is an ornament to any Parliament.
The Goffman Prophecies
Quizbowl Detective Extraordinaire

Post by The Goffman Prophecies »

The QuizWizard II (aka The Knot) also allows play for either 3 or 4 teams of 4 (depending on the model) and displays who buzzed in first, second, and third.

The drawback is that there are no lights, and the moderator has to announce who buzzed. Very time-consuming for timed matches.
Dan Goff
HSQB sysadmin

Virginia Tech '13
South Carolina '15
and a couple other places
Not Thomas Dale HS

STAAATS
ppreston
Lulu

Post by ppreston »

Allow me to begin with the note that my HS team is the four-time FHSAA state champion. We got these big signs around Wauchula to prove it. So when I say that I far prefer NAQT & PACE style to the Disney/NTAE/CAC/Panasonic style, I'm not just being all sour-grapish. But the Florida High School Athletic Association (FHSAA) endorses it, and our trophies look just like the ones for football, etc., which is sort of cool, and so it would probably take a lot to change that. However I do have my dream. Why so many different styles? The goal should be for Quiz Bowl to have one unified set of rules, and as many leagues and divisions and companies, etc. as needed, like football, basketball, or curling. Is anyone working toward this sort of consolidation? The only way to achieve this that I could see would be for the two (do I presume incorrectly?) dominant, and at least somewhat similar, national's styles (NAQT & PACE) to work together on a synthesis of rules, while remaining seperate entities. Charter a manifesto and give it a fancy name like "the Official Rules of Quiz Bowl" or somesuch. Two provisions could be that 1) questions would be pyramidal, but the last line would be usable by design solo for a short question style, and 2) it would be possible to play head-to-head or 3+ teams at a time. This is my dream that I hereby run up the proverbial flagpole across the Rubicon.
Dr. Peter Preston, MA, MMHC, PhD.
Stetson 1990, USF 2004, Barry 2012
Chain of Lakes Collegiate High School
999 Avenue H NE Winter Haven, Florida 33881
Guidance Counselor & English 6-12 DOE# 690820
Former Hardee HS Team Coach: FHSAA Champs '04, '06-'08
Phone: (863) 298-6800, Facsimile: (863) 298-6801