Gonzaga/St. Anselm's Tournament RESCHEDULED (3/7/10)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Kouign Amann
Forums Staff: Moderator

Gonzaga/St. Anselm's Tournament RESCHEDULED (3/7/10)

Post by Kouign Amann »

***THIS POST IS NOW LARGELY IRRELEVANT. PLEASE SEE NEW ANNOUNCEMENT HERE***
***RESCHEDULE INFORMATION IS HERE***

This is a rather preliminary announcement for a tournament to be co-hosted by Gonzaga and St. Anselm's on Saturday, February 6, 2010, lovingly subtitled the ZIGZAG (Zanily Imaginative GonZaga/Anselm's Games). Please note that pretty much all of the following information is subject to change in the next year, and all the words like "probably" and "tentatively" will be more firmly clarified in the fall, when a mass informational email will be sent out.

We are definitely leaning towards ordering an HSAPQ set. The field will absolutely capped at 36 teams, if we begin approaching that number. The format will probably be morning bracketed round robin prelims, followed by lunch, followed by a sixteen team elimination playoff, with consolation matches being provided for those who do not make the top sixteen.

This tournament will be a PACE NSC Qualifier.

The price for this tournament will probably be $60, plus or minus all those usual pluses and minuses.

All enquiries regarding further information should be directed to either me ([email protected]) or Fr. Ken Meehan ([email protected]). All matters of registration, however, should be directed solely to Fr. Meehan, preferably with something like "Gonzaga Quizbowl Tournament Registration" in the subject line. If I receive any sort of registration-y email, I will simply reply back asking for it to be resent to the correct person.

Please rest assured, this tournament will indeed happen this season.

For what it's worth, the running field:
Nobody. Surprise-surprise.

Interest:
CR
Whitman
TJ

***THIS POST IS NOW LARGELY IRRELEVANT. PLEASE SEE NEW ANNOUNCEMENT HERE***
Last edited by Kouign Amann on Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:09 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Aidan Mehigan
St. Anselm's Abbey School '12
Columbia University '16 | University of Oxford '17 | UPenn GSE '19
Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron

Re: Gonzaga/St. Anselm's Tournament (2/6/10) at Gonzaga (DC)

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo »

This would be awesome, Aidan. Really hope this works out. Since we're going to concentrate on PACE more next year, it would be nice to, you know, actually play in an NSC format tournament before we attend NSC in May, unlike this season.

Let me/us know what we can do to help make this happen.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by DumbJaques »

followed by a sixteen team elimination playoff,
This is kind of weak for an otherwise great set at a location likely to draw lots of top teams. Would you consider changing it?
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Post by Mechanical Beasts »

Also it's hard to choose 16 from 42; first and second from each of seven brackets, plus two paper wildcards, seems to be the most natural way. 42's a tough number because you want to minimize byes in any event; you're essentially sold on having at least one. I'd maybe make two championship brackets of seven, or else have prelim brackets of seven and then two championship brackets of six.
Andrew Watkins
Kouign Amann

Post by Kouign Amann »

If you would like to discuss changes to the format, I would suggest emailing Fr. Meehan. When we were discussing format the other day, running a short tournament with as few staff as possible staying after lunch seemed like a priority to him. I myself would also prefer bracketed playoffs, but that idea didn't meet much support. Perhaps you can talk him out of it.
Aidan Mehigan
The King's Flight to the Scots
Auron

Post by The King's Flight to the Scots »

An addendum: Now that PACE has abandoned its old format, it is at the least uncertain that HSAPQ will continue making NSC-style packets. Right now, we're waiting for HSAPQ to address this.

EDIT: Clarity.
Matt Bollinger
UVA '14, UVA '15
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

ColJade wrote:An addendum: Now that PACE has abandoned its old format, it is at the least uncertain that HSAPQ will continue making NSC-style packets. Right now, we're waiting for HSAPQ to address this.
Reduced-NSC format was fun during the regular season - an "old NSC-format" set or two from HSAPQ wouldn't go entirely unappreciated even if PACE changes the format for their nationals.

EDIT: aaaaand I am blind and didn't check the Nationals boards before posting.
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF
lagazzaladra
Lulu

Post by lagazzaladra »

TJ will probably be interested in this.
Seoup Youn
TJHSST 2011
Auron

Now that HSAPQ's PACE format has been discontinued, we will likely use HSAPQ's ACF-format, but with bouncebacks. However, we have not yet decided how to value the power marks.
Matt Bollinger
UVA '14, UVA '15
Auron

Maybe you should just mimic the rules that PACE is going to use for their national tournament in June, just so teams can say they've practiced on that exact format sometime before the end of the year.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
Auron

Caesar Rodney HS wrote:Maybe you should just mimic the rules that PACE is going to use for their national tournament in June, just so teams can say they've practiced on that exact format sometime before the end of the year.
We will certainly consider that, but we need to talk to Father Meehan before making a decision. I suspect he would be fine with it, but I cannot say for certain. I've only said what I have because Fr. Meehan was very much in favor of bouncebacks when we spoke to him.
Matt Bollinger
UVA '14, UVA '15
Auron

ColJade wrote:
Caesar Rodney HS wrote:Maybe you should just mimic the rules that PACE is going to use for their national tournament in June, just so teams can say they've practiced on that exact format sometime before the end of the year.
We will certainly consider that, but we need to talk to Father Meehan before making a decision. I suspect he would be fine with it, but I cannot say for certain. I've only said what I have because Fr. Meehan was very much in favor of bouncebacks when we spoke to him.
Bouncebacks rock. We'd love to have a tournament that uses them once sometime in the "regular season," so, yeah... go for that.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
Auron

Slight update: the field cap is at 36, since that's a much nicer number to work with.
Matt Bollinger
UVA '14, UVA '15
at your pleasure
Auron

Post by at your pleasure »

Whitman is interested.
Douglas Graebner, Walt Whitman HS 10, Uchicago 14
"... imagination acts upon man as really as does gravitation, and may kill him as certainly as a dose of prussic acid."-Sir James Frazer,The Golden Bough

http://avorticistking.wordpress.com/
Auron

Rock. You know we want to come to this too.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
Kouign Amann

Post by Kouign Amann »

Update: This tournament is now a PACE qualifier.
Aidan Mehigan
Auron

Prof.Whoopie wrote:Update: This tournament is now a PACE qualifier.
And make the field cap not the spawn of Satan.
Matt Bollinger
UVA '14, UVA '15
Self-incompatibility in plants
Rikku

Post by Self-incompatibility in plants »

Prof.Whoopie wrote:Update: This tournament is now a PACE qualifier.
NIIIIIIICE!!!
Trey Taraila
Caesar Rodney 2010
University of Delaware 2014
johnsona
Lulu

Post by johnsona »

St. Andrew's from Ridgeland, MS is interested in this tournament. If you have more information/registration form, please email to [email protected].
Aaron Johnson
St. Andrew's (Ridgeland, MS)
Robbie Ram
Wakka

Post by Robbie Ram »

Robinson would like to "express interest", since we seem to enjoy getting trounced by much higher-calibre teams than our own.
Michael P. Campana
Coach/sponsor, Quiz Bowl Club
Mark Twain Middle School
Alexandria, VA
Fr. Ken Meehan
Lulu

Post by Fr. Ken Meehan »

This is Ken Meehan at Gonzaga, at three months before our tournament of February 6th, just to let you know the tournament is definitely "on"; we are working to find a reputable source for questions, after receiving no response to an inquiry made to our preferred outfit, Mr. Gioia's HSAPQ. Shall we pay more and see if NAQT can accommodate us? I'm open to mirroring someone's also -- considered responding to the offer by Hunter HS that's having a tournament February 27th, but they may not have their questions done three weeks earlier, or may draw some teams that would also consider coming to ours. My cohort at St. Anselm's, Aidan Mehigan, will soon be sending you details about our way of proceeding, once we get the commitment for question sets finalized. DC -- with our school's great location -- deserves to have a worthy tournament!
t-bar
Tidus

Post by t-bar »

Fr. Ken Meehan wrote:considered responding to the offer by Hunter HS that's having a tournament February 27th, but they may not have their questions done three weeks earlier, or may draw some teams that would also consider coming to ours.
I obviously can't speak officially on this, but if I remember correctly Matt Weiner announced today at VCU Fall that VCU Spring would be a mirror of Prison Bowl. Since this change doesn't seem to have been reflected in the official announcement, If this is complete BS I apologize for my mishearing. However, the potential field drain is something to consider.
Stephen Eltinge
Then: TJ, MIT, Yale, PACE, NAQT
Now: ACF
wexs883198215
Wakka

Post by wexs883198215 »

Hm...what's happening to HSAPQ...
Their site isn't being updated with upcoming events and such either.

EDIT: Oh yea, forgot to say we were interested :oops:
Kuo-Kai Chin
Walter Johnson High School '11
Harvard University '15
Stanford University School of Medicine '19
Kouign Amann

Post by Kouign Amann »

I have recently been informed that we have indeed been promised Set 10 for use at this tournament. Once Fr. Meehan looks over the announcement I sent him, full details will be posted, and info will be sent out. We promise! Sorry this is taking so long to get ironed out.
Aidan Mehigan
Nine-Tenths Ideas
Auron

Post by Nine-Tenths Ideas »

I should probably mention that Blake or at least "Oh look I'm putting something in quotation marks how zany" high school is interested.
Isaac Hirsch
University of Maryland '14
Never Gonna Play Again
paulsausville
Lulu

Post by paulsausville »

Aldo Montoya wrote:I should probably mention that Blake or at least "Oh look I'm putting something in quotation marks how zany" high school is interested.

oh hey, I can actually go to this one
Paul S. JH Blake High School
"Maturity is a bitter disappointment for which no remedy exists, unless laughter could be said to remedy anything."
btressler
Tidus

Post by btressler »

Prof.Whoopie wrote:I have recently been informed that we have indeed been promised Set 10 for use at this tournament. Once Fr. Meehan looks over the announcement I sent him, full details will be posted, and info will be sent out. We promise! Sorry this is taking so long to get ironed out.
Is this the same set being used at Penn this Saturday? If so, that would affect us, CR, and TJ (but I don't have a good suggestion on how to fix the set conflict).
Bill Tressler,
Dickinson ('97) Carnegie Mellon ('99) Delaware ('06)
Seen moderating at various SE Pennsylvania events.
Auron

I think UPenn is using set 9, Bill... (their website is all kinds of out-of-date) so it would make this one okay.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
Rikku

Btw, we will be making this tournament with one buzzer set, and one moderator. So you can put us down as being registered.
Trey Taraila
Caesar Rodney 2010
Fr. Ken Meehan
Lulu

Post by Fr. Ken Meehan »

Fr. Meehan here -- We have definitely committed to using Question Set 10 -- and I have been informed by the financial officer of HSAPQ that they are not releasing this set until the end of January -- it has been promised to us for the geographical area from which we expect to draw on February 6th. My cohort, Aidan of Anselm's, will have details about the tournament coming to everyone by next week. Meanwhile you can email me if you're pretty sure you want to come,to secure an early reservation. Thanks! [email protected]
Kouign Amann

Post by Kouign Amann »

The official announcement for this tournament is now making its long awaited debut. The format has been lovingly ripped off of Matt Weiner's because I like his style.

This is the official announcement for the ZIGZAG (Zanily Imaginative GonZaga/Anselm’s Games), a high school academic quiz bowl tournament to be hosted by the combined quiz bowl clubs of Gonzaga College High School and St. Anselm’s Abbey School, on Saturday, February 6th, 2010.

This tournament will take place at Gonzaga, located in downtown Washington, DC, near Union Station. The exact address is 19 Eye Street NW, Washington, DC 20001.

PARKING: Parking is available on the school grounds. Follow the security guard on duty if necessary.

TIMES: Registration will run from 7:30 to 8:45. An opening meeting will then follow, with the goal of starting Round 1 as soon as possible after 9:00.

AFFILIATION: This tournament will be affiliated with the Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence and will be an opportunity to qualify for the National Scholastics Championship (http://www.pace-nsc.org), which is run by PACE and will occur the weekend of June 5, 2010.

QUESTIONS: The questions will be provided by High School Academic Pyramid Questions (Tournament Set # 10), and will feature games of 20 ten-point tossups, each with 30-point bonuses, untimed. We are considering including “negs” and “powers” on tossups, and “bounce-backs” on bonuses, and will announce a decision on tournament day.

FORMAT: Our ideal tournament format is for a maximum of 36 teams. In the morning preliminaries, the teams will be divided into six brackets of six teams each and play five-game round-robins in rounds 1-5. Any ties will be broken, and after lunch the teams will then be ranked and re-bracketed, with all bracket champs going into one new bracket, second-placers into another, and so on down the line. Over rounds 6-10, each new bracket will play another round-robin. The tournament championship will be decided by a final (of up to two games if necessary) between the top two teams in the championship bracket.

In the event that fewer than 36 teams register, the format will change accordingly. All teams will be offered a minimum of 9 games in any format, should they desire to play them. Trophies will be awarded to the top three teams, and special book prizes will be awarded to the top five individual scorers.

REGISTRATION AND FEES:
Base fee: $60 for first team; $50 for additional teams. There is no limit to the number of teams who can attend from one school.
Buzzer discount: $10 off total fee for each fully functional system (control box and eight activators all work, please, so we can keep the games moving on schedule). Limit of two buzzer systems per school.
Reader discount: $10 off school's total fee if you can provide a reader. This could be a coach or recommended student who is not playing. Volunteer readers must stay through all the games (except finals) in order to receive credit for their school. Please let us know well in advance if you will bring a reader. We will not need volunteer score-keepers.

TRAVEL DISCOUNT: $10 discount for teams traveling more than 200 miles from your school to ours (as verified by Mapquest).

TO REGISTER: e-mail Fr. Ken Meehan at [email protected] (preferably with something about “quiz bowl” and/or “tournament” in the subject line) with the number of teams, buzzers, and readers you want to bring, and a phone number where you can be contacted in case of emergency. You should receive prompt confirmation of your registration. Final information (directions to school, decisions about impending weather, e.g.) will be sent as the tournament time approaches.

METHOD OF PAYMENT: All teams must pay by the day of the tournament, but we will welcome checks by mail ahead of time. We can accept cash, personal checks, or checks from school or school district. Sorry, we have no ability to process purchase orders, credit cards, Paypal, or any other forms of payment.

Please make out checks to “Gonzaga High School.” If you require a pre-tournament invoice in order to have a check cut, let us know as soon as possible so that we can send you the paperwork in time.

TEAM & ROSTER SIZE: There may be a maximum of six players on one team's roster, up to four of whom may play at one time. If you bring more than six players, you must register a second team to have all of them play. There will be a halftime substitution opportunity in each game. Each player may appear on only one team's roster throughout the day. Teams may also play shorthanded if necessary.

FOOD: A delicious breakfast will be served at this tournament. No lunch will be provided; however, Union Station with its many food-court options is a short walk away, and a Subway sandwich shop adjoins the campus.

Please e-mail me if you have any further questions, but remember to email Fr. Meehan with your official registration. We’re looking forward to seeing a wide variety of teams from DC and surrounding states on February 6th.

Aidan Mehigan
[email protected]

Let the registration floodgates open.

Field:
SCHOOL - TEAMS - BUZZERS - MODS
Caesar Rodney - 1 - 1 - 1
Centennial - 1 - 2 - 0
Charter - 6 - 4 - 1
Wilson - 1 - 1 - 0
Bullis - 1 - 1 - 0
GDS - 3 - 1 - 0
Longfellow - 1 - 1 - 0
Maggie Walker - 1 - 0 - 0
Bishop Ireton - 1 - 0 - 0
RM - 3 - 1 - 0
Blair - 1 - 1 - 0
Whitman - 1 - 1 - 0
Quince Orchard - 1 - 1 - 0
TJ - 4 - 1 - 0
Blake- 1 - 1 - 0
Perry Hall - 1 - 0 - 0
WJ - 1 - 1 - 0
Sidwell - 1 - 1 - 0
Robinson - 1 - 1 - 1
Mountain Vista - 1 - 0 - 0
SSSAS - 2 - 1 - 0
Howard - 1 - 1 - 0
Marshall - 1 - 1 - 0
TOTALS: 36 - 23 - 3

Waitlist (in order of reception of request)
Wilson - 1
GDS - 1

Interest:
Mount Pleasant

Last edited by Kouign Amann on Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:09 pm, edited 31 times in total.
Aidan Mehigan
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

Since this is probably the only tournament in DC proper not hosted by us, we're definitely going to this. Put us down as "interested" until we find out how many teams, buzzers, etc. we're bringing.
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF
Rikku

Go ahead an put us down for one team, one buzzer set, and one moderator. I suppose there is a chance we could bring another team, but it's very unlikely.
Trey Taraila
Caesar Rodney 2010
Auron

Self-incompatibility in plants wrote:Go ahead an [sic] put us down for one team
Yup
one buzzer set,
Yup
and one moderator.
Man, i volunteered to moderate and didn't even know it! :wink: No prob, you knew i would anyway.
I suppose there is a chance we could bring another team, but it's very unlikely.
This is also correct.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
Kouign Amann

Post by Kouign Amann »

Self-incompatibility in plants wrote:Go ahead an put us down for one team, one buzzer set, and one moderator. I suppose there is a chance we could bring another team, but it's very unlikely.
I will do this, but please email Fr. Meehan as well. He wants to be able to keep track of all the official registrations.
Aidan Mehigan
Kouign Amann

Post by Kouign Amann »

I am bad at hitting "edit" instead of "quote." Move along.
Aidan Mehigan
Angry Babies in Love
Yuna

Post by Angry Babies in Love »

RM is very interested in attending.
Raynell Cooper
Arcadia ES '04
Richard Montgomery HS '11
George Washington University '15
University of Maryland, College Park '17
Hella things, National History Bee and Bowl
wilsonmathteacher
Lulu

Post by wilsonmathteacher »

Wilson HS is interested in attending and I tried to email Fr. Meehan in late November (twice) and never heard anything back. Is the address you gave correct?
Jeremy Singer
Coach, Woodrow Wilson HS Quiz Bowl Team
"Pushing towards being competitive.... very slowly"
Kouign Amann

Post by Kouign Amann »

wilsonmathteacher wrote:Wilson HS is interested in attending and I tried to email Fr. Meehan in late November (twice) and never heard anything back. Is the address you gave correct?
It is, but I have heard reports from you and others that he doesn't respond consistently. I'm going to try to talk to him about this. If you check the current field, however, you will see he did indeed forward your email to me and that you are registered. If you want to change any of the information there, just email me.
Aidan Mehigan
Sacapuntas
Lulu

Post by Sacapuntas »

We've been talking about trying to get to this tournament. We would bring one team -- this is, however, merely an expression of interest.
Peter Andrews
Captain, Mount Pleasant High School '10
Columbia '14

"Do, or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda
wilsonmathteacher
Lulu

Post by wilsonmathteacher »

Prof.Whoopie wrote:
wilsonmathteacher wrote:Wilson HS is interested in attending and I tried to email Fr. Meehan in late November (twice) and never heard anything back. Is the address you gave correct?
It is, but I have heard reports from you and others that he doesn't respond consistently. I'm going to try to talk to him about this. If you check the current field, however, you will see he did indeed forward your email to me and that you are registered. If you want to change any of the information there, just email me.
Cool, thanks. I didn't think to look at the current field to see if it was updated. No worries then.
Last edited by wilsonmathteacher on Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jeremy Singer
Coach, Woodrow Wilson HS Quiz Bowl Team
"Pushing towards being competitive.... very slowly"
btressler
Tidus

Post by btressler »

Besides the 6 teams and me reading, you can put us down for 4 buzzers.

Thanks.
Bill Tressler,
Dickinson ('97) Carnegie Mellon ('99) Delaware ('06)
Seen moderating at various SE Pennsylvania events.
Kouign Amann

Post by Kouign Amann »

Alright folks, this is now one month away. Get your registrations in.
Aidan Mehigan
Kouign Amann

Post by Kouign Amann »

There are now eight spots left, and I have a feeling we may have to start a waitlist sooner than I would like. If you don't want to be on that waitlist, I suggest registering soon.
Last edited by Kouign Amann on Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aidan Mehigan
Nine-Tenths Ideas
Auron

Should get word on whether Blake is coming to this by midway through the week. If it isn't, then I'll register as me.
Isaac Hirsch
Never Gonna Play Again
Nine-Tenths Ideas
Auron

Alright, I'll just register as Blake. Either way we're bringing a team.
EDIT: And a buzzer set, of course.
Last edited by Nine-Tenths Ideas on Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Isaac Hirsch
Never Gonna Play Again
Auron

Aidan, this is a tournament that would be nice to have a second team from CR playing. How soon should i register them? I really have no idea if they can make it (or if i can get a parent to help drive), but should i just register one anyway just so i don't lose that spot?
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
Kouign Amann

Post by Kouign Amann »

Dr. Isaac Yankem, DDS wrote:Aidan, this is a tournament that would be nice to have a second team from CR playing. How soon should i register them? I really have no idea if they can make it (or if i can get a parent to help drive), but should i just register one anyway just so i don't lose that spot?
I'm not really sure. People, what's standard procedure for this? Do teams usually just try to grab a spot even if they're not sure about it? I'd certainly be willing to allow you to do that, I'm just not sure if I should. Feedback for a first-time TD would be helpful.
Aidan Mehigan
wexs883198215
Wakka

Post by wexs883198215 »

There's no way WJ is missing this. Can I just grab a spot for our team (+1 buzzer system) and wait for my coach to handle the details?
Kuo-Kai Chin
Walter Johnson High School '11
Harvard University '15
Stanford University School of Medicine '19
Kouign Amann

Post by Kouign Amann »

wexs883198215 wrote:There's no way WJ is missing this. Can I just grab a spot for our team (+1 buzzer system) and wait for my coach to handle the details?
Sure. Just send Fr. Meehan an email.
Aidan Mehigan