(11/14/09) Illinois Open at UIUC

Old college threads.
The Moviegoer
Lulu

(11/14/09) Illinois Open at UIUC

Post by The Moviegoer »

This is an announcement for Illinois' traditional academic tournament, Illinois Open 2009: Spite of Infinite Resignation, to be held Saturday, November 14, 2009 at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign. I, Craig Messner will be co-tournament director of the event along with Trygve Meade. You can contact me at [email protected].

This tournament will most likely be held at Gregory Hall which is located at the intersection of Wright and Armory streets. The full address is:
810 S. Wright Street
Urbana, IL 61801

There is ample parking in the area including lot E-3 which is right next to the main library and less than 5 minutes from Gregory Hall.

Packet Submission

This year IO will be a mirror of the TIT set, so please send all packet submissions to Chris Ray at [email protected].
Here is the packet submission and pricing information, copied verbatim from the TIT announcement thread:

PRICING:

+$100 - Base Fee
-$50 - Packet submitted by Saturday, October 3rd.
-$25 - Packet submitted by Saturday, October 10th.
+$0 - Packet submitted by Saturday, October 17th.
+$25 - Packet submitted by Saturday, October 24th.
+$50 - Packet submitted by Saturday, October 31st.
+$100 - Packet submitted after that. Last year this system was insufficient to prevent roughly half the packets from arriving within days of the tournament, so teams should understand that packets arriving more than a few days after 10/31/09 will suffer increasingly unpleasant penalties (all the worse if your packet isn't on track and you don't LET CHRIS RAY KNOW).
-$5 - Working buzzer discount, unlimited
-$10 - Competent moderator discount
+$10 - Formatting penalty for formatting your questions incorrectly (see formatting section below).
-$20 - Prize for the best unedited packet received in general, and by the best Division II (first two years play quizbowl) only team.

Minimum Fee Per Team: $40.

PACKET GUIDELINES:

Distribution 24/24
4/4 History (1/1 US, 2/2 European, 1/1 World, 1/1 Your Choice; vary your answers by subject/time period, use judgment as to what category your ancient history questions fall under)
4/4 Literature (1/1 American, 1/1 British, 1/1 European, 1/1 World; try to include at least 1/1 drama, 1/1 novels, and 1/1 poetry)
4/4 Science (1/1 Physics, 1/1 Chemistry, 1/1 Biology, 1/1 Other Science like Computer Science, Non-Computational Math, Geology, Astronomy, Earth Science, Engineering, etc.)
2/2 Extra Big Three (no more than 1/1 in any category; try to use these in a sensible way - if you're going to try and push the envelope with tossups on minor works of Robert Graves, you could include a replacement lit tossup here to ensure that I'm laughing with you and not crying in a corner when I get your packet)
3/3 RMP (1/1 Philosophy, 2/2 Religion and Mythology - these are grouped together because they sometimes overlap, but you should make sure your questions are appropriately varied)
3/3 Fine Arts (1/1 Visual Fine Arts like Painting and Sculpture, 1/1 Classical Music, 1/1 Your Choice or other like Architecture, Artistic Film, Dance, Opera or more painting / music.)
1/1 Social Science (Economics, Sociology, Psychology, Anthropology, Linguistics, etc.)
1/1 Trash. Go nuts!*
2/2 Academic Choice - This is an experimental category that I'm testing out as a means of resolving the great geography/social science dilemma. What can you do in this category? Well, pretty much anything. You can write straight academic questions from other categories, you can write geography, or you can write interdisciplinary questions. Please note that interdisciplinary questions are not "general knowledge" questions - all the clues had better be academic enough to fit in any other tossup, or you're rewriting it. Essentially, make a case for your preferred way to round out the distribution. Believe in academic geography? Put up or shut up. Want to pile own the social science until Ahmad builds you a temple of skulls? Go for it. Are you Shantanu? Write more renaissance art-chitecture questions. Your only restriction here is that you're limited to 1/1 in a category. That includes interdisciplinary questions (that is, don't write more than 1/1 interdisciplinary). You also obviously can't write trash questions here.

*In a way that produces good trash questions, stop sending me questions on K-pop.

Please vary all your questions by time period, region of the world (when applicable) and genre. Also vary the type of question you ask. For example, do not write 5 literature tossups on 19th century British novelists. A better literature selection would include tossups on authors, works and characters, on American, British, and World literature, and on fiction, drama, and poetry.

Difficulty:

Your answer selections should range between Fall and Regionals difficulty, inclusive. Last year's Terrapin is probably the best model for likely difficulty of this event, and is definitely the best model for how hard you should make your questions. You are strenuously encouraged to err on the easier side. I'm happy to be excited by accessible tossups on stuff that doesn't get as much coverage as it should, but if you're writing a tossup you honestly don't believe more than 20% of the field will convert - stop.

Every bonus should have a clear easy, medium and hard part. Almost every team in the tournament should be converting the easy part of the bonus, while a little more than half of the teams should be converting the medium part. The hard part of a bonus should be able to be answered by those with in-depth knowledge in the field.

Question Length:

All of the following lengths apply to documents written in Word with 1 inch margins (change these from the default), and a 10 point Times New Roman font.

Final tossups will be between 6 and 8 lines long. However, we'd prefer that you submit tossups on the long side (or even over the 8 line limit), since it's always easier for us to get rid of clues that we don't like than to add additional clues by ourselves.

Bonus parts should be kept within reason. Do not write extremely lengthy leadins or bonus parts (try to keep them under 2 lines, generally). Also do not write extremely short bonuses or list bonuses, as these are typically not very interesting. The vast majority of your bonuses should be 10-10-10. Please do not write any 30-20-10 bonuses, as these really throw off the balance of the bonuses in a round. 5-10-15 bonuses are similarly bad and should be shunned, since they arbitrarily weight the hard part when in theory the bonus should have the same relative difficulty to all the others. However, I have an unusual tolerance for 10-5 bonuses and a few other creative point structures, so including one or two of these isn't out of the question, but don't do it more than that.

Formatting:

Please format your questions in the following matter:

1/1 Unfunny Meta Example Questions (reused to honor our recent alum):

The person involved in this event is starting a rumor that it was actually a planned occurrence to get himself mentioned in a meta question in Matt Weiner's canceled Chicago Open trash tournament. Immediately after this event occurred, one person was unable to identify Okazaki Fragments. It was preceded by Jeremy Eaton answering a tossup on time dilation. The person responsible for this event blamed not getting enough sleep the night before and the two hour drive to Richmond, but most of all just plain not paying attention. Occurring in a game against South Carolina at the 2007 VCU Open, it is now immortalized in the YTMND page Nude Descending a Gas Chamber. FTP, identify this action wherein Mike Bentley erroneously answered "The Armory Show" for "Auschwitz".
ANSWER: Worst Buzz (also accept Nude Descending a Gas Chamber before mentioned, Mike Bentley's Embarrassing Neg with The Armory Show on the Auschwitz Question at the 2007 Illinois Novice Tournament, and clear knowledge equivalents; do not accept just "Armory Show" or "Auschwitz")

Answer the following about a certain comic strip, FTPE.
[10] Like Chris Ray, the title character of this Dik Browne comic strip has red hair and a big beard, and is also illiterate and bathes only once a year.
ANSWER: Hagar the Horrible
[10] Using Wikipedia might erroneously lead you to believe that Hagar the Horrible was based on this play by Henrik Ibsen in which Sigurd defeats Hjardis by killing her sentinel, a white bear.
ANSWER: The Vikings at Helgeland
[10] If Jonathan Magin had his way, Hagar the Horrible and all other comic strips would be inspired by this Robert Louis Stevenson novel about some Scottish dude and his buried treasure.
ANSWER: The Master of Ballantrae

DO NOT USE ANY AUTOMATIC WORD FORMATTING EXCEPT FOR SMART QUOTES. Specifically, do not use any indentation or automatic numbering in your packets. Submit all packets in .doc or .rtf format please.

If questions are not correctly formatted (at the discretion of the editors), your packet will be returned for you to reformat. If you submit your packet at the deadline and it is rejected for formatting issues, you will be charged a $10 formatting fee (and asked to reformat the packet), but you will not have to pay any additional fees for missing the deadline, unless you are aggravating about resubmitting the format fixes.

Also note that your questions should be organized by category and type, not pre-mixed or divided into tossups and bonuses (thus, you should have the 4 history tossups followed by the 4 history bonuses, followed by the 4 lit tossups and 4 lit bonuses, etc.

Misc.:

As with all packet submission tournaments, questions must be blind to all other teams attending the tournament. Specifically, if a school is sending more than one team to the tournament, members of different teams should not know of each others' questions.

Please do not plagiarize questions. Do not copy direct passages and phrases from the sources you use to write questions. Additionally, do not write questions directly out of Wikipedia. While Wikipedia can be a useful source in finding preliminary information on a question, we encourage you to use more in-depth, scholarly and peer reviewed sources when writing your questions. Please see various question writing guides such as Jerry's guide for more information on where to find good sources for writing questions.

Side Events

We will be running both RMPFest II and Walden 3 at this site. Scheduling will be figured out once we can come to a consensus on what is amenable for the players who wish to play these events.

Contact Information

If you wish to attend this tournament, or if you have any questions about it, you can e-mail me at [email protected]. Please inform me of the number of teams, buzzers, and moderators you intend to bring, as well as whether or not you believe you qualify for the travel discount.

I hope to see many of you in scenic Urbana-Champaign this November!
Craig Messner
Illinois '12
Lakes Community '08
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Re: (11/14/09) Illinois Open at UIUC

Post by DumbJaques »

You should probably amend the things that don't apply to your site, like FIST mirror staffing (unless of course you guys are also doing that, but I didn't think you were).
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
millionwaves
Auron

Post by millionwaves »

You and your details.
Trygve Meade
Illinois, ACF

Above the Star-Apple Kingdom
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Clarification: Are packets required for all teams, regardless of experience?
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

Clarification: Are packets required for all teams, regardless of experience?
Not at all - normal rules apply, so if you didn't play college quizbowl before last year, then you don't have to write.
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
No Rules Westbrook
Auron

Post by No Rules Westbrook »

I'm game to show up at this tournament, so consider me a free agent. I'd like to find a team, cause I'm kind of busy, and don't really want to be writing a packet or half-packet.
Ryan Westbrook, no affiliation whatsoever.

I am pure energy...and as ancient as the cosmos. Feeble creatures, GO!

Left here since birth...forgotten in the river of time...I've had an eternity to...ponder the meaning of things...and now I have an answer!
The Moviegoer
Lulu

Post by The Moviegoer »

Just a quick bump, as November is quickly approaching and as of yet the field consists solely of Mr. Westbrook up there.
Craig Messner
Illinois '12
Lakes Community '08
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

RYAN WESTBROOK FLAWLESS VICTORY
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

We'll be sending at least one team, probably two, possibly more!
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
Quantum Mushroom Billiard Hat
Rikku

Post by Quantum Mushroom Billiard Hat »

We should have a couple teams at least.
Michael Hausinger
Coach, Bay City Western High School
formerly of University of Michigan and East Lansing High School
EncyclopediaCDRom
Wakka

Post by EncyclopediaCDRom »

You may add my name to the list of free agents. I know my CPS Dell laptop can access the UIUC wireless network. Both UIC buzzers are at 8/8 strength, but I can probably only bring one.

Congratulations to World Driving Champion Jenson Button,
Rom
Rom Masrour
president of RomNation at the races
2011 INDYCAR, 2012 NASCAR, 2012 GRAND-AM, & 2012 American Le Mans Series hard card holder
licensed crew member for car #51 in the 2011-2012 NASCAR Nationwide Series & car #15 in the 2012 GRAND-AM Rolex Sports Car Series
"I'm glad you were at Kentucky for Ed's win instead of me."
"Rommy is better known in the paddock than half the drivers are."
"Drivers love Rommy even more than Rommy loves them."
Gautam
Auron

Post by Gautam »

It looks like there will be atleast 2 teams from Minnesota and maybe a third, depending on interest.

EDIT: Updated!
Gautam - ACF
Currently tending to the 'quizbowl hobo' persuasion.
Captain Sinico
Auron

Post by Captain Sinico »

Hi everyone,
Thank you all very much for signing up. On behalf of the tournament's editing staff, I'd like to exhort everyone to get their submissions in as early as possible. Teams attending other mirrors of this tournament have informed the editors to expect very late submissions for a variety of reasons. While we are dedicated to putting in as much time as necessary to get this set into shape, my previous editing experiences (on iterations of this very tournament, in fact) attest to the fact that no amount of concerted hard work can make up for a lack of editing time. The fact is that the quality and even existence of this tournament are threatened by the type of tardiness we've been told to expect if this site's submissions are similarly late. So please, get things in as soon as you can; the editors, your fellow teams, and your club budgets will thank you.

MaS
Mike Sorice
Former Coach, Centennial High School of Champaign, IL (2014-2020) & Team Illinois (2016-2018)
Alumnus, Illinois ABT (2000-2002; 2003-2009) & Fenwick Scholastic Bowl (1999-2000)
Member, ACF (Emeritus), IHSSBCA, & PACE
jready
Lulu

Post by jready »

Chicago will have 4 teams. 2 of these teams will have packets in by Saturday.
Jimmy Ready
La Jolla High '08, Chicago '12
sds
Wakka

Post by sds »

Not sure yet exactly how many teams we'll be sending to this, but we have 1 that will be submitting a packet. It'll be in by Saturday.
Surya
Michigan '10 & '14
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

I believe Missouri now has a team that will be signing up for this.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
sds
Wakka

Post by sds »

Any idea when RMPfest is happening? If it's still undetermined, we'd prefer Saturday night for budgetary reasons.
Surya
Michigan '10 & '14

Same.
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
theMoMA

Post by theMoMA »

sds wrote:Any idea when RMPfest is happening? If it's still undetermined, we'd prefer Saturday night for budgetary reasons.
Same.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

With the recently announced demise of Walden, I see no reason why RMPFest cannot be on Saturday night, as it was last year at this site.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

The Moviegoer
Lulu

Post by The Moviegoer »

RMPFest will be played Saturday night.
Craig Messner
Illinois '12
Lakes Community '08
theMoMA

Post by theMoMA »

cmessner wrote:RMPFest will be played Saturday night.
Yay!
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
Dan-Don
Yuna

Post by Dan-Don »

I'll probably come down and play this. Any chance I could get a discount as I'm paying out my pocket? Typically ACF offers -$50 to high schoolers.

EDIT: I'm up for joining other free agents, if needed. That will make it cheaper for me. Prospective teams: this is what you get.
Dan Donohue, Saint Viator ('10), Northwestern ('14), NAQT
sds
Wakka

Post by sds »

So you know - we're bringing at least 2 teams, and possibly 3. I'll know for sure by Wednesday night.
Surya
Michigan '10 & '14
The Moviegoer
Lulu

Post by The Moviegoer »

Hi everyone, thanks for your interest. As of now the field stands as:

Teams:
Chicago x 4
Minnesota x 2-3ish
Missouri x 1ish
Michigan 2-3ish
House?

Free Agents:
Ryan Westbrook
Rom
Dan-Don

For those who haven't yet, please email me with final team and buzzer amounts asap, as the event is fast approaching.
Craig Messner
Illinois '12
Lakes Community '08
Papa's in the House
Tidus

Post by Papa's in the House »

Dan-Don wrote:I'll probably come down and play this. Any chance I could get a discount as I'm paying out my pocket? Typically ACF offers -$50 to high schoolers.

EDIT: I'm up for joining other free agents, if needed. That will make it cheaper for me. Prospective teams: this is what you get.
Yes, you can receive a discount for paying out of pocket. The level of the discount will be determined based upon your final team composition. We can work this out the day of.
Charles Martin Jr.
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
Academic Buzzer Team | President
B.S. in Accountancy, August 2011
B.S. in Finance, August 2011
MAS Program, Class of 2012
Dan-Don
Yuna

Post by Dan-Don »

starwarsguy6 wrote:
Dan-Don wrote:I'll probably come down and play this. Any chance I could get a discount as I'm paying out my pocket? Typically ACF offers -$50 to high schoolers.

Yes, you can receive a discount for paying out of pocket. The level of the discount will be determined based upon your final team composition. We can work this out the day of.
Sounds good. What time does this begin?
Papa's in the House
Tidus

Post by Papa's in the House »

Dan-Don wrote:
Sounds good. What time does this begin?
You'd have to double check with Craig about this, but I'm sure our target to start is the usual 9am, which means meet at 8:30am so we can start on time, please. I'm also pretty sure well be playing at Gregory Hall as we usually do.
Charles Martin Jr.
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
Academic Buzzer Team | President
B.S. in Accountancy, August 2011
B.S. in Finance, August 2011
MAS Program, Class of 2012
No Rules Westbrook
Auron

Post by No Rules Westbrook »

n.b.: I'm withdrawing from this.
Ryan Westbrook, no affiliation whatsoever.

I am pure energy...and as ancient as the cosmos. Feeble creatures, GO!

Left here since birth...forgotten in the river of time...I've had an eternity to...ponder the meaning of things...and now I have an answer!
The Moviegoer
Lulu

Post by The Moviegoer »

Another more solid field update.
Confirmed:
Chicago x4
Minnesota x3 (Including a hybrid team with Carleton which I am dubbing "Cannesota")
Michigan x 2

As yet unconfirmed:
Missouri x1
House team, depending on numbers

Free Agents:
Rom
Dan-Don

The tournament will be held in Gregory Hall, and we will start at 9 (With registration starting at 8:15). Please attempt to be on time! It looks like we will run a full round robin. Further info will be sent out in the tournament email.
Craig Messner
Illinois '12
Lakes Community '08

MU is confirmed.

The Moviegoer
Lulu

Post by The Moviegoer »

Alright excellent then. Looks like it'll shake out like this:

Chicago x4
Minn x3
Michigan x2
Missouri x 1
Rom/DanDon/House Players (Most likely Ike)

So that makes the total 11, which means full RR + final. Tournament email will be sent out this evening.
Craig Messner
Illinois '12
Lakes Community '08
Dan-Don
Yuna

Post by Dan-Don »

cmessner wrote:DanDon/House Players (Most likely Ike)
Whoa! Awesome. Although my statline will enormously disappoint those who drafted me for this week's fantasy quizbowl.
The Moviegoer
Lulu

Post by The Moviegoer »

Copy of tournament email, in case some of the emails I dredged up are wrong/inactive:

Hi all,

First off thank you so much for choosing to play this year's edition of Illinois Open. The tournament will indeed be played at Gregory Hall, located at:
810 S. Wright Street
Champaign, Illinois

There is ample parking nearby, most conveniently at nearby (less than a 5 minute walk!) lot E3:
http://illinois.edu/ricker/CampusMap?sl ... lding=null

Tournament central will be on the second floor of Gregory Hall, in room 213. Please go there to register, starting at 8:15AM. We wish to get rounds underway by 9Am, so please, please, please arrive as early as you can.

The tournament will be run as a full round robin, with an appropriate final as necessary. RMPFest II will run in the evening, most likely following a dinner break, also in Gregory Hall.

I would also like from each team an emergency contact cell phone number, so I can make sure I'm on top of things if anything is to happen. My number is (redacted). Please call me if you are going to be late.

Once again, thank you all very much for attending. I'm looking forward to seeing you all Saturday!

-Craig Messner
Craig Messner
Illinois '12
Lakes Community '08
naturalistic phallacy
Auron

Post by naturalistic phallacy »

Chicago (9-1) and Minnesota (10-0) are playing an advantaged final in favor of the latter.
Bernadette Spencer
University of Minnesota, MCTC
Member, NAQT
Member, ACF
Member Emeritus, PACE
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

Chicago won game 1, game 2 is going on right now.
The Moviegoer
Lulu

Post by The Moviegoer »

Minnesota A defeats Chicago A 325-315 in the second game of an advantaged final to win the tournament after Chicago defeated them in the first game 495-170.
Craig Messner
Illinois '12
Lakes Community '08
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

RR stats can be found here.

Unfortunately, the scoresheets from the finals were lost. If people could email me the stat lines for the individuals, I'll piece it together and add those games to the reports.

Also, to the TDs who don't have stats up yet for tournaments past and continue to throw up excuses or just sit on their hands: man the fuck up. The only reason stats weren't up earlier for these two tournaments is because I was busy helping to run another tournament from scratch as the main tournament was finishing up. The stats for that tournament will be posted in their entirety shortly after this post. If you have a competent statsperson, then it should take all of two minutes to generate the reports properly (this includes Round Report), and upload them to the web. It's your responsibility to get stats up in a prompt manner; if you can't do that much, you should reconsider whether you are capable of running a tournament.
marnold
Tidus

Post by marnold »

I can't remember who scored what for Minnesota, but the scores and stats for Chicago I'm pretty sure went

Game 1: Chicago 495 - Minnesota 170

Shantanu: 2/2/1
Seth: 2/3/0
David: 1/0/0
me: 1/3/0

Game 2: Minnesota 325 - Chicago 315

Shantanu: 0/4/1
Seth: 1/3/1
David: 0/2/0
me: 0/0/0
Michael Arnold
Chicago 2010
Columbia Law 2013

2009 ACF Nats Champion
2010 ICT Champion
2010 CULT Champion
Member of Mike Cheyne's Quizbowl All-Heel Team

Fundamental Theorem of Quizbowl (Revised): Almost no one is actually good at quizbowl.
Auks Ran Ova

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

Andrew has our stats from the finals; I'll get him to post them tomorrow. Or maybe he'll see this!
Rob Carson
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT

This tournament rocked, and in talking to my teammates it seems they agreed, so thanks Illinois for running this.

Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Yeah, thanks for Illinois for running a very smooth tournament. Craig did a very nice job directing this.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Megalomaniacal Panda on Absinthe
Wakka

Post by Megalomaniacal Panda on Absinthe »

I've already sent Donald the correct stats for the finals, since I inexplicably found the finals scoresheets in my notebook (I think I may have picked them up while moderating for RMPfest). In any case, here they are:

The first match was 495-170.
Marnold: 1/3/0
David: 1/0/0
Seth: 1/3/0
Shantanu: 3/2/1

Gautam: 0/0/1
Brendan: 0/1/1
Rob: 2/0/0
Andrew: 1/1/1

The second match was 315-325.

Marnold: 0/0/0
David: 0/2/0
Seth: 1/1/1
Shantanu: 0/5/1

Gautam: 0/1/1
Brendan: 2/1/1
Rob: 0/2/1
Andrew: 2/1/0
Shantanu Jha, Walt Whitman '08, University of Chicago '1x
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

Shantanu did send me the stats, but due to my laptop being non-functional for some reason, I cannot update the stats right now. Once it is, the stats will be updated and re-posted.
Auks Ran Ova

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

Pretty certain I went 1/3/1 during the second finals game; we'll see what Andrew's notes have to say.
Rob Carson
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
The Moviegoer
Lulu

Post by The Moviegoer »

Thank you to all the teams that came and helped make my first directed tournament what I feel was a success. I'd also like to thank Trygve Meade for co-TDing and showing me the ropes as it were, Donald Taylor for keeping stats (for part of the day) and also doing some clutch RMPFest organizational work, Charles Martin for keeping stats (for the other part of the day) and also coming through with some clutch organizational prowess, and the august Mike Sorice, who offered guidance and oversight leading up to the event. Thanks should also certainly be extended to our players on the house team, Ike Jose and David Garb, as well as our readers and scorekeepers, Mark Messner, Micah Hodosh, and Jeff Geringer.
Craig Messner
Illinois '12
Lakes Community '08
Gautam
Auron

Post by Gautam »

Cheynem wrote:Yeah, thanks for Illinois for running a very smooth tournament. Craig did a very nice job directing this.
IO was well run, and I'm happy that I chose to make this my one and only road trip this semester. Thanks to Craig, Trygve (and Trygve's scorekeeper friend,) Donald, Mark, Micah, "Silent" Jeff, Charles, and any other people I'm forgetting for doing this smoothly. Thanks to the editors for producing a decent set.
Gautam - ACF
Currently tending to the 'quizbowl hobo' persuasion.
theMoMA

Post by theMoMA »

Donald, please use the MN stats for the finals that I sent you via email the other night. I'm positive those are right, and I think Rob's right that his stats are wrong on Shantanu's post. If you could make the score correction to the prelim game, that'd be swell as well.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

Now that my laptop is back and functioning (\o/) the finals have been added.
theMoMA

Post by theMoMA »

Would you mind fixing the inaccurate score in the prelims, as well?
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum