HSAPQ National All Star Academic Tournament in 2010

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
The King's Flight to the Scots
Auron

Re: HSAPQ National All Star Academic Tournament in 2010

Post by The King's Flight to the Scots »

Volvo Effect wrote:People, just man up and blow off your graduation to play quizbowl. I totally did it, and it was worth it.
I like the way this man thinks.
Matt Bollinger
UVA '14, UVA '15
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

Just to add a different (and older) thought here...

In the grand scheme of things, your high school graduation probably doesn't mean much.....but it might mean a lot to your relations, just consider them before you make any decisions.
David Riley
Coach Emeritus, Loyola Academy, Wilmette, Illinois, 1993-2010
Steering Committee, IHSSBCA, 1996 -
Member, PACE, 2012 -

"This is 1183, of course we're barbarians" -- Eleanor of Aquitaine in "The Lion in Winter"
at your pleasure
Auron

Post by at your pleasure »

David Riley wrote:Just to add a different (and older) thought here...

In the grand scheme of things, your high school graduation probably doesn't mean much.....but it might mean a lot to your relations, just consider them before you make any decisions.
As would winning or placing highly at a national championship, which a GDS/St. Anslem's DC NASAT team is likely to do.
Douglas Graebner, Walt Whitman HS 10, Uchicago 14
"... imagination acts upon man as really as does gravitation, and may kill him as certainly as a dose of prussic acid."-Sir James Frazer,The Golden Bough

http://avorticistking.wordpress.com/
Boeing X-20, Please!
Rikku

Post by Boeing X-20, Please! »

People, just man up and blow off your relations to play quizbowl. I might have to do it, and it will be worth it.
Nolan Winkler
Loyola Academy '12
UChicago '16
JackGlerum
Tidus

Post by JackGlerum »

Riley is (unfortunately) 100% correct. Graduation usually means nothing to the son/daughter and everything to the (grand) parents. And since you still live under your parent's roofs, you gotta deal with it. My parents came to many of my high school quizbowl tournaments, but made me miss the middle rounds of HSNCT to graduate.
kayli
Auron

Post by kayli »

Perhaps it's because I'm not that into quizbowl, but it seems to me that the ceremony of graduation is quite a momentous event not only for you but for your parents, your relatives, and your friends. I personally will never get close to winning a national championship in quizbowl (hell, anything) so I won't know how important competing in this would be for some people. But, blowing graduation off to play some trite game seems odd in my opinion. I think it's important to go through that ceremony with all your friends together--being able to do one last thing as a class; but again, quizbowl might be more important to some people. I guess, in the end, it's a matter of what will be remembered more fondly in the long term.
Kay, Chicago.
Rufous-capped Thornbill
Tidus

Post by Rufous-capped Thornbill »

Arsonists Get All the Girls wrote:Perhaps it's because I'm not that into quizbowl, but it seems to me that the ceremony of graduation is quite a momentous event not only for you but for your parents, your relatives, and your friends. I personally will never get close to winning a national championship in quizbowl (hell, anything) so I won't know how important competing in this would be for some people. But, blowing graduation off to play some trite game seems odd in my opinion. I think it's important to go through that ceremony with all your friends together--being able to do one last thing as a class; but again, quizbowl might be more important to some people. I guess, in the end, it's a matter of what will be remembered more fondly in the long term.
You need to get your priorities in order. Quizbowl comes before all.
Jarret Greene
South Range '10 / Ohio State '13 / Vermont '17
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Post by Frater Taciturnus »

Arsonists Get All the Girls wrote:I personally will never get close to winning a national championship in quizbowl
Hey dude, you never know when one will totally just fall from the sky into your lap.
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
J. Sargeant Reynolds CC 2008, 2009, 2014
Virginia Commonwealth 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,
Douglas Freeman 2005, 2006, 2007
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

People should definitely consider relations here, especially since most of us wouldn't be where we are without them. I would have blown off quizbowl for my graduation, because I have some relatives who never got the chance to go to high school, and it's definitely a big deal to them when one of us graduates high school. That's just my situation though.

If your family couldn't care less whether you go to graduation or not, then you'd have probably have more incentive to choose quizbowl. But if you really want to go your graduation, don't let quizbowl people pressure you into missing it.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo »

I'll say this: i would never ever seriously ask any of my A Team seniors to skip their graduation to go to a national tournament. They told me they wouldn't do it anyway before i ever really brought it up. So we can't go to PACE this year. Walking up there to get your diploma in front of your family, friends, and community is, in my opinion, so much more important.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

I'll suggest a few things here:
1) Each person's and family's values are their own, and debating some certainly nonexistent single standard about this quandary on an Internet forum is probably not productive.
2) It's probably a good idea for people to try to work out solutions that don't require missing either event that they wish to participate in. For those graduating in the middle of the weekend, a choice is necessary. For those graduating on Friday, the tournament doesn't start until Saturday morning, and Nashville is a major city with a well-served airport (as are Chicago and Washington, for those whose graduations are close to HSNCT or NSC).
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
Captain Sinico
Auron

Post by Captain Sinico »

Matt's 100% right here. Find out what your options are (they are probably many) and choose what's important to you.

MaS
Mike Sorice
Former Coach, Centennial High School of Champaign, IL (2014-2020) & Team Illinois (2016-2018)
Alumnus, Illinois ABT (2000-2002; 2003-2009) & Fenwick Scholastic Bowl (1999-2000)
Member, ACF (Emeritus), IHSSBCA, & PACE
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

The West Virginia Academic Coaches Association informed me that they unanimously decided to not send a team to this.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Nine-Tenths Ideas
Auron

Post by Nine-Tenths Ideas »

FredMorlan wrote:The West Virginia Academic Coaches Association informed me that they unanimously decided to not send a team to this.
Woah, any particular reason? Finances, or do they object to the idea, or what?
Isaac Hirsch
University of Maryland '14
Never Gonna Play Again
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Aldo Montoya wrote:
FredMorlan wrote:The West Virginia Academic Coaches Association informed me that they unanimously decided to not send a team to this.
Woah, any particular reason? Finances, or do they object to the idea, or what?
The president of the organization did not detail why. I only drafted a plan to get it funded, and they decided to not do it.
Fred Morlan
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

I'll bet those squirrels are responsible and made them an offer they couldn't refuse. :grin:

Seriously though, that's too bad, I' was hoping for representation from as many states as possible.
David Riley
Member, PACE, 2012 -

"This is 1183, of course we're barbarians" -- Eleanor of Aquitaine in "The Lion in Winter"
future
Lulu

Post by future »

What do you think would be a good way to get statewide selection (maybe tryouts, I hope not T_T) in Minnesota?
Should I contact the Dep. of Education to see if I can get them interested? Or should I just go to R. Hentzel for his opinion?
From what I've researched, MN has sent a team to PAC before but that was once and we didn't do that well...

Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Martin Camacho
St Paul Central '10
Harvard '14
Rufous-capped Thornbill
Tidus

future wrote:What do you think would be a good way to get statewide selection (maybe tryouts, I hope not T_T) in Minnesota?
Should I contact the Dep. of Education to see if I can get them interested? Or should I just go to R. Hentzel for his opinion?
From what I've researched, MN has sent a team to PAC before but that was once and we didn't do that well...

Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
I'd contact R. or the U of Minnesota to see if they'd be interested in getting a tryout tournament available or something along those lines. Luckily for us, Ohio State is doing this for Ohio.
Jarret Greene
Gautam
Auron

Post by Gautam »

Inkana7 wrote: I'd contact R. or the U of Minnesota to see if they'd be interested in getting a tryout tournament available or something along those lines. Luckily for us, Ohio State is doing this for Ohio.
Hey,

I like your suggestion and I will look into the possibility of doing this.

--Gautam
Gautam - ACF
Currently tending to the 'quizbowl hobo' persuasion.
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

That sounds pretty cool. How are other states running these (i.e., what questions)?
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Auron

Just a thought: given that DC has very few schools regularly involved in circuit quizbowl, and that GDS has graduation that day, would HSAPQ consider merging the DC and Maryland teams? Is there some strong reason not to do this?
Matt Bollinger
UVA '14, UVA '15
Rufous-capped Thornbill
Tidus

Journey to the Planets wrote:Just a thought: given that DC has very few schools regularly involved in circuit quizbowl, and that GDS has graduation that day, would HSAPQ consider merging the DC and Maryland teams? Is there some strong reason not to do this?
It would create an awesome team.
Jarret Greene
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Well, as an outsider, I think I can answer that. Beyond the fact that DC and Maryland are different polities*, Maryland has Blake, Richard Montgomery, Walt Whitman & Walter Johnson, and D.C. has Georgetown Day School, Gonzaga College and St. Anselm's. I think very good teams can be formed from those few schools.

West Virginia has very few schools involved in circuit quiz bowl. Ditto New Mexico. Same with Azerbaijan. Why not form a Washington D.C./West Virginia/New Mexico/Azerbaijan team?

*Now everyone in quiz bowl has used that word. Let's stop.
Fred Morlan
Auron

FredMorlan wrote:Well, as an outsider, I think I can answer that. Beyond the fact that DC and Maryland are different polities*, Maryland has Blake, Richard Montgomery, Walt Whitman & Walter Johnson, and D.C. has Georgetown Day School, Gonzaga College and St. Anselm's. I think very good teams can be formed from those few schools.

West Virginia has very few schools involved in circuit quiz bowl. Ditto New Mexico. Same with Azerbaijan. Why not form a Washington D.C./West Virginia/New Mexico/Azerbaijan team?

The problem is that Gonzaga has verbally expressed a reluctance to travel anywhere more than an hour away this year(hence their absence from QuAC, both VCU tournaments, and GSAC). Most of GDS's team is unavailable that weekend due to graduation (Matt J. can certainly correct me on this, but I was under the impression that GDS A was made up completely of seniors). I'm uncertain of how much support (financially and quizbowl...ly...) St. Anselm's can get for this tournament as it stands.
Matt Bollinger
UVA '14, UVA '15
at your pleasure
Auron

Post by at your pleasure »

Journey to the Planets wrote:
FredMorlan wrote:Well, as an outsider, I think I can answer that. Beyond the fact that DC and Maryland are different polities*, Maryland has Blake, Richard Montgomery, Walt Whitman & Walter Johnson, and D.C. has Georgetown Day School, Gonzaga College and St. Anselm's. I think very good teams can be formed from those few schools.

The problem is that Gonzaga has verbally expressed a reluctance to travel anywhere more than an hour away this year(hence their absence from QuAC, both VCU tournaments, and GSAC). Most of GDS's team is unavailable that weekend due to graduation (Matt J. can certainly correct me on this, but I was under the impression that GDS A was made up completely of seniors). I'm uncertain of how much support (financially and quizbowl...ly...) St. Anselm's can get for this tournament as it stands.
The other thing that Matt hasn't mentioned is that it's hard to say that there is a "Maryland" or "DC" circuit distinct from the larger DC area circuit like there is a distinct Illinois circuit. At RM's tournament this fall, for instance, 40% of the attending schools and 60% of the attending teams were not from MD. If the different states is a deal-breaker, one possible compromise would be to have a separate DC team but allow DC people to play on the Maryland team instead.
Douglas Graebner, Walt Whitman HS 10, Uchicago 14
"... imagination acts upon man as really as does gravitation, and may kill him as certainly as a dose of prussic acid."-Sir James Frazer,The Golden Bough

http://avorticistking.wordpress.com/
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Post by Mechanical Beasts »

Journey to the Planets wrote:The problem is that Gonzaga has verbally expressed a reluctance to travel anywhere more than an hour away this year(hence their absence from QuAC, both VCU tournaments, and GSAC). Most of GDS's team is unavailable that weekend due to graduation (Matt J. can certainly correct me on this, but I was under the impression that GDS A was made up completely of seniors). I'm uncertain of how much support (financially and quizbowl...ly...) St. Anselm's can get for this tournament as it stands.
And so the reason to combine DC and Maryland's teams is... because DC's team won't be a world-beater? Why don't we combine Virginia and Montana, too? If people don't want to come to tournaments or have to graduate or don't have "support," that's a shame, but I imagine HSAPQ is going to make decisions independent of a single region's ability to attend at full strength.
Andrew Watkins
Nine-Tenths Ideas
Auron

Post by Nine-Tenths Ideas »

Yeah, I don't think this will fly. Besides, Matt, you could always legitimately join Virginia [please don't.]
Isaac Hirsch
University of Maryland '14
Never Gonna Play Again
Auron

Crazy Andy Watkins wrote:
Journey to the Planets wrote:The problem is that Gonzaga has verbally expressed a reluctance to travel anywhere more than an hour away this year(hence their absence from QuAC, both VCU tournaments, and GSAC). Most of GDS's team is unavailable that weekend due to graduation (Matt J. can certainly correct me on this, but I was under the impression that GDS A was made up completely of seniors). I'm uncertain of how much support (financially and quizbowl...ly...) St. Anselm's can get for this tournament as it stands.
And so the reason to combine DC and Maryland's teams is... because DC's team won't be a world-beater? Why don't we combine Virginia and Montana, too? If people don't want to come to tournaments or have to graduate or don't have "support," that's a shame, but I imagine HSAPQ is going to make decisions independent of a single region's ability to attend at full strength.
Well, not exactly. Let's look at the situation:

1. Combining Virginia and Montana. Come on, this is a strawman. The "DC" and "MD" circuits are virtually identical. The Virginia and "Montana" circuits are not. Heck, the NAQT championship in the region has historically been the DC/MD state championship. Any separation of the "DC" and "MD" circuits is an artificial separation. Thus, I don't see why they should separate the "two" circuits into different teams unless there's some good reason.

Now, here's where I would separate these two "states" into different teams. Let's say that VA and CA were contiguous and had intertwining circuits. Both of these states have enough schools participating in good quizbowl to support a true All-Star team, and having a single team represent the circuit would not be necessary. In DC/MD, this situation is not true. The very fact that a couple of teams being unable to attend reduces the potential DC team so drastically speaks to this. A combined DC/MD team would better represent the reality of the circuit without causing undue problems.

Anyway, this is a proposition, not a "demand" (which would be ridiculous). I would just like to hear the reasoning behind separating the circuit into two teams.

EDIT: Actually, Isaac, I couldn't...
Matt Bollinger
UVA '14, UVA '15
AlphaQuizBowler
Tidus

Post by AlphaQuizBowler »

Journey to the Planets wrote:I would just like to hear the reasoning behind separating the circuit into two teams.
HSAPQ wrote:This tournament is intended for states seeking an all-star event.
This seems to be the reasoning: the event is supposed to be a state all-star event, not a "circuit" all-star event or anything else.

And it's not like all other quizbowl circuits besides MD/DC are defined by state lines. All the tournaments I've been to this year have had teams from more than 1 state, and large ones like Brookwood and Chattahoochee attract teams from 4 states or more. If you allowed circuits to combine, it would be hard to define the boundaries for each team. State lines, on the other hand, are pretty much inarguable (except for those few miles between GA and TN).
William
Alpharetta High School '11
Harvard '15
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

If this is to be a tournament between teams representing the best states or districts, then it should be that. It's unfortunate that DC wouldn't be able to put together the best team it could due to circumstances, but that's life.

And the argument of a limited number of schools available is unfortunate, but part of the terms of the tournament. Delaware's in the same boat.
Fred Morlan
Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo »

FredMorlan wrote:And the argument of a limited number of schools available is unfortunate, but part of the terms of the tournament. Delaware's in the same boat.
I'll say. DC has three great schools that play quizbowl... our whole state has two schools that travel out of state frequently to play, one school that might do so once or twice a year, and all the others that have never played or heard of anything pyramidal but NAQT in Wilmington-area tournaments.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org
TheKingInYellow
Rikku

Post by TheKingInYellow »

We've asked a few other schools if they were interested in this tournament, so far there hasn't been too much (i.e. any) response... we'll keep asking, but would HSAPQ be horribly averse to State College as State Pennsylvania?
Graham Moyer
State College 2011
Harvard 2015
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

An all-star team is an all-star team, I can't imagine it makes any difference whether you are from the same school or not if you are the best combination of 4 players from Pennsylvania.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Ethnic history of the Vilnius region
Auron

Post by Ethnic history of the Vilnius region »

This is just a reminder that there will be no combining or splitting of states or state equivalents for the NASAT.
TheKingInYellow wrote:We've asked a few other schools if they were interested in this tournament, so far there hasn't been too much (i.e. any) response... we'll keep asking, but would HSAPQ be horribly averse to State College as State Pennsylvania?
We would prefer that states hold a tryout or otherwise give interested players from other schools a fair chance to earn their way onto the team. That said, we will consider applications from a single school from a state on equal footing with other applications from that state. In other words, we will award the state's bid to the strongest proposed team, regardless of who is on that team.
Eric D.
University of South Carolina Alum
Auron

The Midnight Rider wrote:This is just a reminder that there will be no combining or splitting of states or state equivalents for the NASAT.
TheKingInYellow wrote:We've asked a few other schools if they were interested in this tournament, so far there hasn't been too much (i.e. any) response... we'll keep asking, but would HSAPQ be horribly averse to State College as State Pennsylvania?
We would prefer that states hold a tryout or otherwise give interested players from other schools a fair chance to earn their way onto the team. That said, we will consider applications from a single school from a state on equal footing with other applications from that state. In other words, we will award the state's bid to the strongest proposed team, regardless of who is on that team.

What's this post about? http://hsquizbowl.org/forums/viewtopic. ... 87#p162787
Matt Bollinger
UVA '14, UVA '15
Tanay
Rikku

Post by Tanay »

The Midnight Rider wrote:This is just a reminder that there will be no combining or splitting of states or state equivalents for the NASAT.

Well, the NorCal circuit and the SoCal circuit are 300+ miles away. It's basically impossible to create a team by combining the two circuits, because that would involve analyzing statistics from tournaments in which teams from both circuits played, and that would involve such tournaments having existed, and such tournaments have not, as a matter of fact, existed.

The issue raised on the SoCal forums will probably resolve itself, since it's doubtful that NorCal will be able to put an entire team together if it is given the status of a separate polity. If it does end up being a combined team from SoCal and NorCal, I can think only a handful of players from NorCal that would be interested enough to fly out to Nashville and take part in this. I would totally put this up in the NorCal 09-10 forums to gauge interest, but only two schools use that anyway.
Tanay
ex-Berkeley, ex-Bellarmine
gyre and gimble
Yuna

Post by gyre and gimble »

tk447 wrote:

Well, the NorCal circuit and the SoCal circuit are 300+ miles away. It's basically impossible to create a team by combining the two circuits, because that would involve analyzing statistics from tournaments in which teams from both circuits played, and that would involve such tournaments having existed, and such tournaments have not, as a matter of fact, existed.

The issue raised on the SoCal forums will probably resolve itself, since it's doubtful that NorCal will be able to put an entire team together if it is given the status of a separate polity. If it does end up being a combined team from SoCal and NorCal, I can think only a handful of players from NorCal that would be interested enough to fly out to Nashville and take part in this. I would totally put this up in the NorCal 09-10 forums to gauge interest, but only two schools use that anyway.
Unless that state-wide tournament thing in the spring happens, of course.

Also, I was under the impression that splitting NorCal and SoCal was not an official thing, but rather mere speculation on the part of assorted California quizbowlers.
Stephen Liu
Torrey Pines '10
Harvard '14
Stanford '17
Broad-tailed Grassbird
Tidus

Post by Broad-tailed Grassbird »

You guys should get orange jumpsuits for uniforms.
Nalin
Scranton Middle School (2000-2003)
Brighton High School (2003-2007)
Michigan State University (2007-2011)
Semi-Retired (2012-present)
Ed McMahon
Lulu
Location: Hollywood Hills, Hollywood, Los Angeles, California

Post by Ed McMahon »

HIYO!
Ed McMahon, 1923-2009
Lowell, '39
Boston University/Catholic, '47
Tanay
Rikku

Post by Tanay »

gyre and gimble wrote: Unless that state-wide tournament thing in the spring happens, of course.
Yeah. This would be awesome. What's the status on this?
Tanay
ex-Berkeley, ex-Bellarmine
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by DumbJaques »

Assuming nobody has any problems with this, MAQT is happy to host tryouts/provide chaperons/assist in organizing and fund-raising for Maryland's team this year. In keeping with the spirit of how quizbowl should be, this won't be a big official deal with permission slips and ID badges and dna fingerprinting; we'd pretty much just be acting as the needed independent tryout agent, providing a supervising adult, and making sure the team has ways to get there/places to stay. We'll also explore getting some funding from the university for this, but no promises.

So, if this sounds good to everyone, we'll probably post some kind of announcement about this and send out emails. If anyone sees a potential problem with this, let me know. The exact person/people supervising this assured comedy of errors will be identified in the formal post about this (I suppose the Nationals subforum would be the appropriate place).

Oh yeah, one thing I wondered about: While combining DC and Maryland has no particular justification (they have independent school systems and what not, so it'd be no different than combining DC with Virginia or whatever), it does seem to me that, if DC doesn't field a team, a student who lives in Virginia or Maryland should be able to join the respective state team. Would HSAPQ have a problem with this? It doesn't seem like something that could cause a particular problem or encourage individuals to game the system; after all, it's only something that would arise if one state failed to send a team, and a resident of another state still wanted to try out.
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
Auron

DumbJaques wrote: Oh yeah, one thing I wondered about: While combining DC and Maryland has no particular justification (they have independent school systems and what not, so it'd be no different than combining DC with Virginia or whatever), it does seem to me that, if DC doesn't field a team, a student who lives in Virginia or Maryland should be able to join the respective state team. Would HSAPQ have a problem with this? It doesn't seem like something that could cause a particular problem or encourage individuals to game the system; after all, it's only something that would arise if one state failed to send a team, and a resident of another state still wanted to try out.
HSAPQ would not allow this. The teams are based entirely on where one's school is.
Eric D.
Monk
Lulu

Post by Monk »

nalin wrote:
The orange jumpsuit uniform has been tried in Illinois. It didn't go over so well.
J. L. Monk
CCHS Captain '09-'10
kayli
Auron

Post by kayli »

Team Florida will be dressed up literally as oranges.
Kay, Chicago.
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

Monk wrote:
nalin wrote:
The orange jumpsuit uniform has been tried in Illinois. It didn't go over so well.
A government arm not taking kindly to protests?
Auron

I posted about this in the Michigan thread so as to negate any possible confusion. At the NASAT, although teams are allowed to have up to 6 players on their rosters, this will be a normal 4 players-at-once tournament. Teams do not need to feel obligated to pay for alternates if they don't expect the alternates to get any playing time.
Eric D.
djones
Wakka

Post by djones »

This past weekend, the top quiz bowl players in Ohio gathered at Ohio State to try out for "Team Ohio" at the HSAPQ National All Star Tournament. After 15 rounds of questions, selections have been made, and the following players will be submitted to HSAPQ for approval.

Jarret Greene (Captain)- South Range High School
Jim Coury- Olmsted Falls High School
Jasper Lee- Solon High School
Brandon Williams- Northmont High School
Catie Haas- Tippecanoe High School
Joe Nutter- Walnut Hills High School

The team will be coached by David Jones (Northmont) and Greg Bossick (Mahoning County League coordinator / NAQT Stat guru)
David Jones
Coach, Northmont High School
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

How many questions in the rounds, and how long did it take?
David Riley
Member, PACE, 2012 -

Unicolored Jay
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Unicolored Jay »

David Riley wrote:How many questions in the rounds, and how long did it take?
I think it was 26? The questions were tossups from NAQT Division 1 Sectionals of some recent year. It lasted from around 10-ish to close to 4 in the afternoon, if I can remember correctly.
Jasper Lee
University of Tennessee Health Science Center '21
The Ohio State University '14
Solon High School '10
Rufous-capped Thornbill
Tidus

David Riley wrote:How many questions in the rounds, and how long did it take?
Jasper is correct. 26 questions per round, we wrapped up around 4.

It is an honor to have been selected for this team and an even bigger one to be selected Captain.I look forward to playing with my teammates in Nashville!
Jarret Greene