Illinois '09-'10

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
David Riley
Auron

Re: Illinois '09-'10

Post by David Riley »

I'll offer to help moderate if this is a side event at NTV.
David Riley
Coach Emeritus, Loyola Academy, Wilmette, Illinois, 1993-2010
Steering Committee, IHSSBCA, 1996 -
Member, PACE, 2012 -

"This is 1183, of course we're barbarians" -- Eleanor of Aquitaine in "The Lion in Winter"
Jane Fairfax
Wakka

Post by Jane Fairfax »

I think, quite honestly, I'd much rather help write your tournament than play it (I wouldn't ask for any payment or anything), but if I can't write, I'd gladly play if I can.
Lloyd Sy
Auburn 2012
Brown 2016
JackGlerum
Tidus

Post by JackGlerum »

I'll play if this happens at NTV.
Dan-Don
Yuna

Post by Dan-Don »

Jane Fairfax wrote:I think, quite honestly, I'd much rather help write your tournament than play it (I wouldn't ask for any payment or anything), but if I can't write, I'd gladly play if I can.
Really? Awesome. When I know if this is on for sure, I'll let you know. I'd pretty much put you in charge of BritLit because I hate it.
JackGlerum wrote:I'll play if this happens at NTV.
I'll have to think about that. I want your money, but I also want other people's money. And other people need to think they have a chance at winning this.
Dan Donohue, Saint Viator ('10), Northwestern ('14), NAQT
abnormal abdomen
Rikku

Post by abnormal abdomen »

Well, how much different would the "field" be, anyway, if Jack were to play? Off the top of my head, I can think of a good 4 or so players from Auburn who would probably go (excluding Lloyd, if he's going to be writing after all), and none of us would really be going with the mentality of "I have a pretty good shot at winning this". I know others will feel differently, especially if you're really trying to bring in some of the more timid players from less-involved schools, but I guess I'm not against Jack playing mostly because I wouldn't have a chance at winning this anyway. Besides, the stronger the field, the better.
Abid Haseeb
Auburn High School '12
Brown University '16
Writer, HSAPQ
Writer, NAQT
Dan-Don
Yuna

Post by Dan-Don »

Jacopo Robusti wrote:Well, how much different would the "field" be, anyway, if Jack were to play? Off the top of my head, I can think of a good 4 or so players from Auburn who would probably go (excluding Lloyd, if he's going to be writing after all), and none of us would really be going with the mentality of "I have a pretty good shot at winning this". I know others will feel differently, especially if you're really trying to bring in some of the more timid players from less-involved schools, but I guess I'm not against Jack playing mostly because I wouldn't have a chance at winning this anyway. Besides, the stronger the field, the better.
Noted. Glerum, you will be allowed to play.
Jane Fairfax
Wakka

Post by Jane Fairfax »

Dan-Don wrote:
Jane Fairfax wrote:I think, quite honestly, I'd much rather help write your tournament than play it (I wouldn't ask for any payment or anything), but if I can't write, I'd gladly play if I can.
Really? Awesome. When I know if this is on for sure, I'll let you know. I'd pretty much put you in charge of BritLit because I hate it.
Great! Keep in touch.
Lloyd Sy
Auburn 2012
Brown 2016
Edward Elric
Tidus

Post by Edward Elric »

Hey if Jack could play, can I play also?
Mike Perovanovic
University of Ill.-Chicago '13
Wheaton North '09
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

rockinzeppelin wrote:Hey if Jack could play, can I play also?
Actually, Dan: why not create a "high school" field and a "elder" field, assuming there's enough interest?

Also, assuming I'm at NTV, I'll staff this.
Dan-Don
Yuna

Post by Dan-Don »

rockinzeppelin wrote:Hey if Jack could play, can I play also?
Of course.
dtaylor4 wrote:Actually, Dan: why not create a "high school" field and a "elder" field, assuming there's enough interest?

Also, assuming I'm at NTV, I'll staff this.
That's a thought. Once I get approval for this, I'll make an official announcement and see what interest is like.
Jane Fairfax
Wakka

Post by Jane Fairfax »

Solo predictions, anyone?

I'm just gonna go out on a limb and predict that Deveau, Zach, and Chametz all make the finals....I think Deveau should win this tourney quite handily, especially with the comp math involved.
Lloyd Sy
Auburn 2012
Brown 2016
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

I'll play on the elder tem if there's a lit side event.
David Riley
Coach Emeritus, Loyola Academy, Wilmette, Illinois, 1993-2010
Steering Committee, IHSSBCA, 1996 -
Member, PACE, 2012 -

"This is 1183, of course we're barbarians" -- Eleanor of Aquitaine in "The Lion in Winter"
the return of AHAN
Auron

Post by the return of AHAN »

My vote is Zach Blumenfeld, mostly b/c I haven't seen Deveau play. And no, this pick is not based upon Zach's Jeopardy pwnage.
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach (2021 & 2023 HSNCT Champions, 2023 PACE Champions, 2023 Illinois Masonic Bowl Class 3A State Champions)
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kanga-Rat Murder Society
Wakka

Post by Kanga-Rat Murder Society »

Woody Paige wrote:My vote is Zach Blumenfeld, mostly b/c I haven't seen Deveau play. And no, this pick is not based upon Zach's Jeopardy pwnage.
Zach and Deveau seemed to put up very similar numbers last year. I think the thing that it is important to note when making solo predictions is that solo rewards the generalist. My predictions:

Lock for Finals: Andrew Deveau, Zach Blumenfeld

Should make Finals: Krystle Leung, Ben Chametzky, Lloyd Sy, Zahed Haseeb, Bonny Jain, Dan Donohue (are you playing?)

Might make Finals: Marcel Youkhna, Nolan Winkler, Jeremiah Monk, Isa Domin (was he a Junior last year?), Greg Ward, Christian Kreb, Arjun Puranik, Robert Volgman, Greg Dzuricsko, Kevin (Stevenson), Quinn Rosenthal

It is almost impossible to predict what will happen in the finals. People that have done very well during the day often struggle in the finals due to the neg penalty. I would not be surprised if someone like Zach or Krystle won due to the fact that they negged the least, though I think Deveau has the deepest knowledge in the state.

On a separate note, the tourney that I was going to play was cancelled. If Solo still needs moderators, I would love to help out.
Nicholas Bergeon
Buffalo Grove High School '09
UW-Madison '12
WUSTL Law'15
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

The schedule is up (link here) so that people can make predictions which include people who will actually be there. My moderator schedule is set, but if you're into data entry, then have I got a job for you!
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

Post by Maxwell Sniffingwell »

David Riley wrote:I'll play on the elder team if there's a lit side event.
Me too.
Greg Peterson

Northwestern University '18
Lawrence University '11
Maine South HS '07

"a decent player" - Mike Cheyne
Dan-Don
Yuna

Post by Dan-Don »

BG MSL Champs wrote:Should make Finals: Dan Donohue (are you playing?)
No, I have to take the SAT Subject Tests. It was a choice between this and UIUC Earlybird. Considering I qualified for NSC playing solo at Earlybird, I think I made the right choice. I'm going to race to New Trier after the test is over so I can watch the finals.

EDIT: My pick is definitely Deveau because there's comp math.
adeveau
Lulu

Post by adeveau »

I pretty much agree with Nick, but I think Greg is all but a lock for the finals, even with comp math.
Andrew Deveau
St. Ignatius

Born on the same day as Austen
Jane Fairfax
Wakka

Post by Jane Fairfax »

Zahed's not playing.

I think Deveau, Zach, Chametzky, Marcel, Greg D should all make the finals...and Deveau will win, not because of the comp math, but because he's pretty much the best player in state.
Lloyd Sy
Auburn 2012
Brown 2016
adeveau
Lulu

Post by adeveau »

Concur on Marcel. Why isn't Zahed playing?

Edit: And Ben. No offense.
Andrew Deveau
St. Ignatius

Boeing X-20, Please!
Rikku

Post by Boeing X-20, Please! »

Deveau, Zach, Ben are locks.
Greg & Marcel are probable.
Many people are possible.

Why isn't Zahed playing?

My schedule seems to be: alwina liu - steve server - (if i beat steve) jeremiah - (if i beat jeremiah) lloyd
Nolan Winkler
Loyola Academy '12
UChicago '16
abnormal abdomen
Rikku

The finals is like, top 8 right?

I would say it'll end up Deveau (Ig), Blumenfeld (Stevenson), Lloyd (Ghetto School), Greg (Lisle), Marcel (Loyola), Chametzky (Carbondale), Bonny Jain (IMSA), and Greg (from OPRF, he's fantastic at math, and a pretty good player from what I've seen/heard).

Other possibilities: Nolan Winkler (Loyola), Kevin Malis (Stevenson)

I pick Deveau to win in a clash with Blumenfeld in the finals. It'll be fun to watch.
Abid Haseeb
Auburn High School '12
Brown University '16
Writer, HSAPQ
Writer, NAQT
Boeing X-20, Please!
Rikku

Jacopo Robusti wrote:The finals is top 9.

I would say it'll end up Deveau (Ig), Blumenfeld (Stevenson), Lloyd (Ghetto School), Greg (Lisle), Marcel (Loyola), Chametzky (Carbondale), Bonny Jain (IMSA), and Jeremiah (The Big C).

Other possibilities: Nolan Winkler (Loyola), Kevin Malis (Stevenson), Abid Haseeb (Ghetto School, apparently), Steve Server (NT), Christian Kreb (Loyola), MANY other people

I pick Deveau to win in a clash with Blumenfeld in the finals as well as be morning champ. It'll be fun to watch.
Fixed.
Nolan Winkler
Loyola Academy '12
UChicago '16
Dan-Don
Yuna

Post by Dan-Don »

Could we arrange some sort of physical fight between Deveau and Blumenfeld? And then sell tickets? "Blumenfeld/Deveau: The Bout to Beat the Other Guy!"

Also, people should make Zach feel bad about winning an academic competition as horrible as Jeopardy. Seriously though, congrats Zach.

In other news, I'm going to go play Illinois Open at UIUC on the 14th, anyone wanna be on my team?

No word yet on the Send Dan-Don to NSC Open Lit Singles event.
Boeing X-20, Please!
Rikku

Dan-Don wrote: Send Dan-Don to NSC Open Lit Singles event.
I expect an awesome acronym for this.
Nolan Winkler
Loyola Academy '12
UChicago '16
adeveau
Lulu

Post by adeveau »

Dan-Don wrote:Could we arrange some sort of physical fight between Deveau and Blumenfeld? And then sell tickets? "Blumenfeld/Deveau: The Bout to Beat the Other Guy!"
I'll take ten percent.
Andrew Deveau
St. Ignatius

Dan-Don
Yuna

Post by Dan-Don »

adeveau wrote:
Dan-Don wrote:Could we arrange some sort of physical fight between Deveau and Blumenfeld? And then sell tickets? "Blumenfeld/Deveau: The Bout to Beat the Other Guy!"
I'll take ten percent.
Fine. You each get a weapons too. You get a graphing calculator and baseball bat. Zach gets....a swim cap and a Jeopardy buzzer?

I'll have to have Jeff come up with an epic acronym for the lit event.
Jane Fairfax
Wakka

Post by Jane Fairfax »

You could always just ask Zach for some of his $51,000 to go to NSC.
Lloyd Sy
Auburn 2012
Brown 2016
abnormal abdomen
Rikku

MoCity02 wrote:
Jacopo Robusti wrote:The finals is top 9.

I would say it'll end up Deveau (Ig), Blumenfeld (Stevenson), Lloyd (Ghetto School), Greg (Lisle), Marcel (Loyola), Chametzky (Carbondale), Bonny Jain (IMSA), and Jeremiah (The Big C).

Other possibilities: Nolan Winkler (Loyola), Kevin Malis (Stevenson), Abid Haseeb (Ghetto School, apparently), Steve Server (NT), Christian Kreb (Loyola), MANY other people

I pick Deveau to win in a clash with Blumenfeld in the finals as well as be morning champ. It'll be fun to watch.
Fixed.

Fair enough. Lloyd pointed out to me that it was a bit strange that I picked Greg from OPRF, and I guess he's probably right. I'm still really curious as to how well he'll do though.

How good is Steve from NT? He's been putting up good numbers, from what I've seen.

Edit:
Lloyd: You could always just ask Zach for some of his $51,000 to go to NSC.
He doesn't keep that Jeopardy money (I think).
Abid Haseeb
Auburn High School '12
Brown University '16
Writer, HSAPQ
Writer, NAQT
Dan-Don
Yuna

Post by Dan-Don »

Steve Server's gonna have some good science and social studies buzzes. That's about it.

And no, Zach doesn't keep the $51000 but I think he can win more than that if he advances.
Boeing X-20, Please!
Rikku

Jacopo Robusti wrote:
Lloyd: You could always just ask Zach for some of his $51,000 to go to NSC.
He doesn't keep that Jeopardy money (I think).
He does in fact not get to keep that, but i would not be surprised at all if he won one of the three big $ prizes.
Nolan Winkler
Loyola Academy '12
UChicago '16
Dan-Don
Yuna

Post by Dan-Don »

First try at an acronym: VIOLATEDD (Very Inspirational Open Lit Affair Totally Edited by Dan-Don).
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

Dan-Don wrote:Steve Server's gonna have some good science and social studies buzzes. That's about it.
And history, if we regard that separately, which I would. He'll also pick up a bunch of math. Probably current events too. Remember that vocabulary and non-fiction are frequently social science or philosophy.
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
jdeliverer
Rikku

Post by jdeliverer »

BG MSL Champs wrote: Should make Finals: Krystle Leung, Ben Chametzky, Lloyd Sy, Zahed Haseeb, Bonny Jain, Dan Donohue (are you playing?)
Krystle Leung is not playing, nor is Zahed Haseeb, Bonny Jain or Dan Donohue. Or if they are I don't see them on the roster.

I've seen more of Zach Blumenfeld's play but I played Deveau a couple years ago and he won something like 10-3. Should be a good match.

Isa Domin is seeded very high, though I've never seen him play. He made the finals last year though, so I'd expect a repeat.
Robert Volgman
Brown '14
Latin School of Chicago '10
Dan-Don
Yuna

Post by Dan-Don »

So..a kid from southern Illinois was the runner-up on Teen Jeopardy! today and is a semi-finalist. Anyone recognize him? Have you played against him/heard of his school? Not that his Jeopardy performance means anything, but look at this article. He mentioned being quite good at "Quizbowl" (note: not Scholastic Bowl).
Stained Diviner
Auron

I've never seen him play, but he was 2nd Team All-State last year.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
Dan-Don
Yuna

Post by Dan-Don »

Shcool wrote:I've never seen him play, but he was 2nd Team All-State last year.
In that case, maybe Laird will know more. Anyway I'm intrigued...someone figure out a way to get his school to good tourneys.
Kanga-Rat Murder Society
Wakka

Post by Kanga-Rat Murder Society »

Shcool wrote:. My moderator schedule is set, but if you're into data entry, then have I got a job for you!
It's all right. I will be attending, but as the unofficial coach of BG. Honestly, the only difference between myself and a coach is that the coach picks the schedule and the coach gets paid. Also, how will pizza work for me? I have not had good pizza in months. Is there some way that I can pay a buck or two and get Lou's (assuming you still are doing Lou's for lunch)?
jdeliverer wrote:
Isa Domin is seeded very high, though I've never seen him play. He made the finals last year though, so I'd expect a repeat.
What are the seeds? Is it that the top eight are 1-29 Every Four, and that 3-31 Every Four are the 9-16 seeds? Or are there no seeds at all other than the fact that coach's rankings of their players were taken into account?
Nicholas Bergeon
Buffalo Grove High School '09
UW-Madison '12
WUSTL Law'15
jdeliverer
Rikku

Post by jdeliverer »

As far as I can tell, the seeds are:

1. Zach Blumenfeld
2. Andrew Deveau
3. Greg Dzuricsko
4. Isa Domin

5. Christian Kreb
6. Ben Chametzky
7. Quinn Rosenthal
8. Lloyd Sy

9. Steve Server
10. Robert Volgman
11. Ben Carbery
12. Weili Zheng

13. Arjun Puranik
14. Greg Ward
15. Jessamyn Lockard
16. Matt Honegger

This is assuming a standard setup, based on last years data and logic based on the placement on the schedule. It seems pretty accurate based on my knowledge of the above players.

4 of my teammates get the good fortune to play #1-#4 first round. What fun!
Robert Volgman
Brown '14
Latin School of Chicago '10
Stained Diviner
Auron

You can have pizza for free. I don't know anything about any seeds. Seriously, though, you really can have pizza for free.
David Reinstein
Kouign Amann
Forums Staff: Moderator

Post by Kouign Amann »

Dan-Don wrote:So..a kid from southern Illinois was the runner-up on Teen Jeopardy! today and is a semi-finalist. Anyone recognize him? Have you played against him/heard of his school? Not that his Jeopardy performance means anything, but look at this article. He mentioned being quite good at "Quizbowl" (note: not Scholastic Bowl).
Said southern Illinoisan Gabe Orlet seems interested in quizbowl from conversations I have had with him, and he was planning to go to Solo but found out about it too late to register.
Aidan Mehigan
St. Anselm's Abbey School '12
Columbia University '16 | University of Oxford '17 | UPenn GSE '19
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

Prof.Whoopie wrote:
Dan-Don wrote:So..a kid from southern Illinois was the runner-up on Teen Jeopardy! today and is a semi-finalist. Anyone recognize him? Have you played against him/heard of his school? Not that his Jeopardy performance means anything, but look at this article. He mentioned being quite good at "Quizbowl" (note: not Scholastic Bowl).
Said southern Illinoisan Gabe Orlet seems interested in quizbowl from conversations I have had with him, and he was planning to go to Solo but found out about it too late to register.
Anyone have contact information for him?
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
Kouign Amann
Forums Staff: Moderator

Post by Kouign Amann »

jonah wrote:
Prof.Whoopie wrote:
Anyone have contact information for him?
I can give you his email address.
Aidan Mehigan
St. Anselm's Abbey School '12
Columbia University '16 | University of Oxford '17 | UPenn GSE '19
Edward Elric
Tidus

Post by Edward Elric »

Awesome Job everybody who participated in Solo. Especially congrats go to Andrew Deveau and Lloyd Sy for an awesome down-to-the-wire match.
Mike Perovanovic
University of Ill.-Chicago '13
Wheaton North '09
Dresden_The_BIG_JERK
Tidus

Post by Dresden_The_BIG_JERK »

What's the word from Kickoffs?
BJ Houlding

Winnebago '04
Saint Joseph's College '08
IHSSBCA Certified Moderator
the return of AHAN
Auron

Post by the return of AHAN »

Dresden The Moderator wrote:What's the word from Kickoffs?
I heard that Geneva eschewed the Wheaton North kickoff next weekend (11.5 miles away) in favor of the Sterling site this weekend (87 miles away) and got the most out of that road trip, while Litchfield defeated Chatham Glenwood in the Petersburg PORTA kickoff.
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach (2021 & 2023 HSNCT Champions, 2023 PACE Champions, 2023 Illinois Masonic Bowl Class 3A State Champions)
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jane Fairfax
Wakka

Post by Jane Fairfax »

I think Carbondale won their Kickoff.
Lloyd Sy
Auburn 2012
Brown 2016
Boeing X-20, Please!
Rikku

Jane Fairfax wrote:I think Carbondale won their Kickoff.
They did and went undefeated to boot.
Nolan Winkler
Loyola Academy '12
UChicago '16
Monk
Lulu

Post by Monk »

Dan-Don wrote:So I don't know if everyone heard the news, but as a result of Earlybird I qualified for NSC playing solo as a Hobo (not as Saint Viator, of course). So PACE and my parents are very close to letting me go, but I don't know how much of a discount I'm getting. Profits from Trashtastrophe are going to the Send-Dan-Don-to-NSC fund, but I need even more money. So, here's my thought. How much interest would there be if I wrote a small literature singles event to be played as a side event somewhere. 5 rounds (tops) of 20 tossups (no bonuses)....in other words, much faster and more manageable than Trashtastrophe . Anyone wanna play this? Anyone wanna host this? Let me know what you think...

If entry is still open, and the tournament is one my team attends, I'd be interested in playing in this as well.

...and, yes, we won our kickoff by margins greater than 200 points each game, despite it having been something of a lowpoint in my scholar bowl career thanks to issues with a rural buzzer system and something that felt like a mental programming bug. When I told the second-place winners that, due to the questions we used, there was a small chance that they had just qualified for nationals, they told me there was no way they had the money to drive to Chicago. Everyone acted as if pyramidal questions were a strange and slightly horrifying new invention, although one team swept a football bonus (possibly because members of their school football team were playing, and spent the time before the game comparing muscle sizes with each other).
J. L. Monk
CCHS Captain '09-'10
No Electricity Required
Wakka

Post by No Electricity Required »

Woody Paige wrote:
Dresden The Moderator wrote:What's the word from Kickoffs?
I heard that Geneva eschewed the Wheaton North kickoff next weekend (11.5 miles away) in favor of the Sterling site this weekend (87 miles away) and got the most out of that road trip, while Litchfield defeated Chatham Glenwood in the Petersburg PORTA kickoff.
At PORTA poor bracketing of the tournament ended with the top three teams having the exact same record, 7-1, with Litchfield having lost to Macomb, Chatham Glenwood losing to Litchfield, and Macomb losing to Chatham Glenwood, all having beaten the other. My coach and some of my team got into a huge argument with PORTA's coach about this twice, since we didn't think that teams that had not won their morning pools (like Litchfield) should be placed at the same level as all of those who did.
tristan willey
formerly: macomb, uiuc
writer: naqt
he/him or they/them