ACF Fall Northeast (10/31) @ MIT

Old college threads.
Not That Kind of Christian!!
Yuna

Re: ACF Fall Northeast (10/31) @ MIT

Post by Not That Kind of Christian!! »

Wall of Ham wrote:Wow, I didn't know that was the state of MIT quizbowl; I thought they still had a relatively decent sized club. Thanks to those MIT members that did read.

I really didn't mind reading, I just would have preferred playing a round or two.
Yeah, and I really, really apologize for having to have you read; like I'd said it my e-mail, if it wasn't for another staffer and a team canceling, you wouldn't have had to.
Hannah Kirsch
Brandeis University 2010
NYU School of Medicine 2014

"Wow, those Scandinavians completely thorbjorned my hard-earned political capital."
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

I want to thank Hannah for organizing and running the tournament; she did a great job. Also, thanks to stats guru Brian Young and his very clever design for how to make sure no one reads the wrong round. And of course, I'd like to thank the MIT players who actually showed up to staff.

The people I do not want to thank are the rest of the MIT club who thought they could just blow off their hosting responsibilities less than two weeks ahead of time. I get it, you had stuff going on. Then don't bid, or if you find that you have such a massive conflict arising that you can't possibly host, inform everyone, including the community at large about the situation. The fact that we had to find out unexpectedly via secondary channels that you have royally fucked up is unacceptable. It is not ok to simply abandon a tournament with so little notice. This is doubly surprising because MIT has usually been a good host in the past and generally kept things running pretty well, so they were about the last club I would suspect of such inconsiderate behavior towards the rest of their circuit. I'm glad that at least some of the MIT members realized that this was an untenable situation and came to help out; the tournament would simply have failed otherwise.

I want to warn MIT and anyone else who thinks that this is acceptable behavior that there will be consequences for such bullshit in the future. Hosts have responsibilities, and if you're not willing to take on those responsibilities, then don't host.
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
#1 Mercury Adept
Wakka

Post by #1 Mercury Adept »

Are the packets posted somewhere, or are there more mirrors that haven't happened yet? (I assume from the fact that there's no discussion thread here yet that there is indeed going to be another mirror, but when/how soon is it?)
M(ir)ia(m) Nussbaum
Former player for Ithaca High School, Cornell, MIT
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Kaleido Star Legend of the Phoenix wrote:Are the packets posted somewhere, or are there more mirrors that haven't happened yet? (I assume from the fact that there's no discussion thread here yet that there is indeed going to be another mirror, but when/how soon is it?)
I don't think there is another mirror going on, I think no one has opened a discussion thread yet.
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
Yuna

grapesmoker wrote:Also, thanks to stats guru Brian Young and his very clever design for how to make sure no one reads the wrong round.
This was actually a suggestion offered by Gautam in an e-mail to the hosts that I picked up and modified a little. Whoever came up with it, it worked!
Hannah Kirsch
Brandeis University 2010

"Wow, those Scandinavians completely thorbjorned my hard-earned political capital."
Susan
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Susan »

Not That Kind of Christian!! wrote:
grapesmoker wrote:Also, thanks to stats guru Brian Young and his very clever design for how to make sure no one reads the wrong round.
This was actually a suggestion offered by Gautam in an e-mail to the hosts that I picked up and modified a little. Whoever came up with it, it worked!
For the benefit of all, what is this clever method?
Susan
UChicago alum (AB 2003, PhD 2009)
Member emerita, ACF
Yuna

Come up with which packet you'll be reading during which round the night before. Write the round number and password on the number of scoresheets that you'll need per round. Have the TD/stats guru/whoever hand out the scoresheet for the next round when the moderator hands in the scoresheet from the round s/he has just finished reading. Either give the moderators the packet order or have it written on the scoresheet or just tell them. Profit.
Hannah Kirsch
Brandeis University 2010

Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Post by Mechanical Beasts »

Possible enhancement: print the passwords on (custom, they'd have to be) scoresheets because who on earth wants to handwrite passwords for 266 games? Hannah, apparently, but seriously.
Andrew Watkins
Yuna

Not That Kind of Christian!! wrote:Come up with which packet you'll be reading during which round the night before. Write the round number and password on the number of scoresheets that you'll need per round. Have the TD/stats guru/whoever hand out the scoresheet for the next round when the moderator hands in the scoresheet from the round s/he has just finished reading. Either give the moderators the packet order or have it written on the scoresheet or just tell them. Profit.
Oh, and have somebody who owes you a favor do all the writing of passwords on the scoresheets, because doing it yourself is just way, way too boring.
Hannah Kirsch
Brandeis University 2010

Yuna

Crazy Andy Watkins wrote:Possible enhancement: print the passwords on (custom, they'd have to be) scoresheets because who on earth wants to handwrite passwords for 266 games? Hannah, apparently, but seriously.
Heh, crosspost. Yeah, if I'd hadn't photocopied a kabillion scoresheets well in advance, I would have written it on 15 scoresheets and photocopied each one individually.
Hannah Kirsch
Brandeis University 2010

Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Crazy Andy Watkins wrote:Possible enhancement: print the passwords on (custom, they'd have to be) scoresheets because who on earth wants to handwrite passwords for 266 games? Hannah, apparently, but seriously.
This is what I do. It does require knowing the names of the packets and making your schedule far enough in advance to print and copy things, so it will depend on ACF editors continuing to be as relatively well-organized as they were for this tournament (Gautam had the final packet lineup finalized for me on Tuesday) and on quizbowl programs being more responsible about deciding how many teams they are sending to a tournament by a few days rather than a few hours before (this wasn't as successfully accomplished).
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
Gautam
Auron

Post by Gautam »

Matt Weiner wrote:It does require knowing the names of the packets and making your schedule far enough in advance to print and copy things, so it will depend on ACF editors continuing to be as relatively well-organized as they were for this tournament (Gautam had the final packet lineup finalized for me on Tuesday) and on quizbowl programs being more responsible about deciding how many teams they are sending to a tournament by a few days rather than a few hours before (this wasn't as successfully accomplished).
To be fair, Matt, I didn't give you a "complete" packet list; I only knew that there were no more submissions from teams playing at your site, so any extra packets we merged onto that list wouldn't have, in any way, affected your schedule.

On the other hand, we only decided on Thursday evening that we'd be using questions from the Brown A packet and that the Cornell packet would be merged with the Princeton packet. When it was sure by Friday afternoon that we wouldn't need any more questions, I sent out a complete packet list to all TDs so that they could get schedules (and other things like passwords with scoresheets, or whatever) organized.

--Gautam
Gautam - ACF
Currently tending to the 'quizbowl hobo' persuasion.
The Goffman Prophecies
Quizbowl Detective Extraordinaire

Post by The Goffman Prophecies »

Matt Weiner wrote:
This is what I do. It does require knowing the names of the packets and making your schedule far enough in advance to print and copy things, so it will depend on ACF editors continuing to be as relatively well-organized as they were for this tournament (Gautam had the final packet lineup finalized for me on Tuesday) and on quizbowl programs being more responsible about deciding how many teams they are sending to a tournament by a few days rather than a few hours before (this wasn't as successfully accomplished).
When I ran Winter last year, thankfully the field was small enough that I had time between rounds to print scoresheets for the upcoming round on the fly. Once I had the schedule and packet order set, I used a modified Excel spreadsheet that included a dropdown selection for the round number and automatically filled in the password for the packet to be read that round. It worked pretty well (save for the one round where I had the incorrect password) and would have allowed me to make adjustments to the packet order during the tournament and create updated scoresheets if schedule snafus dictated.
Dan Goff
HSQB sysadmin

Virginia Tech '13
South Carolina '15
and a couple other places
Not Thomas Dale HS

STAAATS
sam.peterson
Lulu

Post by sam.peterson »

Are playoff stats available?