Durantula and Uncle Jeff Present: Guerrilla Sports at MO

Old college threads.
theMoMA
Forums Staff: Administrator

Durantula and Uncle Jeff Present: Guerrilla Sports at MO

Post by theMoMA »

Minnesota Open Sunday will feature two academic subject events: Eric Mukherjee's science tournament and Mike Cheyne's vanity literature event. Now, it will have a short trash interlude! MO participants and local sports fans named Brian Weikle are encouraged to write 12 sports tossups for a short free-for-all side event to be played free-for-all style. Anyone who writes the tossups is allowed to participate for free; players will read their own tossups and play everyone else's tossups against all of the other competitors.

There are only three rules for writing: 1) adhere to the distribution; 2) write tossups of at least six lines in ten-point TNR with one-inch margins; and most importantly, 3) keep almanacky statistical clues to a minimum in favor of amusing anecdotes. If this means writing a tossup on a team instead of a player, do it. The unnumbered fourth rule is to write tossups that the field will be able to answer (so you should probably keep that thirteen-liner on Chris Widger to yourself).

Here is the distribution, based on some blend of what sports quizbowlers follow and what I deem "important."

3 baseball: at least two from the 1990s or 2000s
3 football: at least two from the 1990s or 2000s; one college; two pro
3 basketball: at least two from the 1990s or 2000s; one college; two pro
1 pro hockey
1 soccer (elite pro or international)
1 other; cannot be any of the above (this can be on sports video games, sports movies, sports in other pop culture media, sports in academia, Olympics, tennis, golf, boxing, wrestling, minor college athletics, auto racing, horse racing, cycling, WNBA, MLS, lacrosse, hotdog eating contests, World Cyber Games, world's strongest man, or, if you must, MMA)

Please post in the thread if you plan on writing for this event. Remember, it's what the Oklahoma City Thunder's swing-forwards and their incredible nicknames would want you to do.

FAQs:

1) where on earth is this tournament located?
the Mayo Auditorium lobby

2) at what time?
for now, 8:30 AM, but that could change.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Re: Durantula and Uncle Jeff Present: Guerrilla Sports at MO

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Am I allowed to play without writing anything? Me writing sport questions=laughable results.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
theMoMA

Post by theMoMA »

Harper v. Canada (Attorney General) wrote:Am I allowed to play without writing anything? Me writing sport questions=laughable results.
For now, no. I guess if we get enough writers, others could subsidize pizza for everyone in lieu of writing.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
Kanga-Rat Murder Society
Wakka

Post by Kanga-Rat Murder Society »

I'll write for this. However, it would be nice to see an example of the level of difficulty you want these, seeing as I have no idea how much you know.
Last edited by Kanga-Rat Murder Society on Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nicholas Bergeon
Buffalo Grove High School '09
UW-Madison '12
WUSTL Law'15
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I plan on playing and writing for this. I don't understand why Chris Widger is too hard though. HE COMES UP ALL THE TIME. HE'S IMPORTANT.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Terrible Shorts Depot
Yuna

Post by Terrible Shorts Depot »

If I'm at MO, I'm so playing this.
Charlie Rosenthal
Shady Side Academy '09
Carleton College '13
University of Pennsylvania '18
Demonic Leftovers
Wakka

Post by Demonic Leftovers »

I shall play this.
TWO TIME NATIONAL CHAMPION David A. Seal, Esq.
QUINTUPLE CROWN WINNER: ICT/ICT/NHB/NHB/CULT
Coach of 2014 and 2015 ICT Champion UVA
University of Chicago '10
University of Virginia School of Law '13
Not Every Team Can Afford Me
Coattail Rider
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Also, is Ted's Fine Arts tournament still in the works for this weekend?
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

Assuming I'm there, I'm doing this. Even if I'm not, I'd be happy to pitch in.
Coelacanth
Rikku

Post by Coelacanth »

theMoMA wrote:Minnesota Open Sunday will feature two academic subject events: Eric Mukherjee's science tournament and Mike Cheyne's vanity literature event. Now, it will have a short trash interlude! MO participants and local sports fans named Brian Weikle are encouraged to write 12 sports tossups for a short free-for-all side event to be played during lunch.
Is this some passive-aggressive ploy to get me to show up on Sunday so I can help staff the science and lit tournaments?

I think it's a safe bet that I can come up with 12 tossups for this. I mean, if you're going to call me out by name it's the least I can do.

I will probably lose my voice completely reading the MO proper on Saturday, so I can't commit to the other side events.
Brian Weikle
I say what it occurs to me to say when I think I hear people say things. More, I cannot say.
Jesus vs. Dragons
Tidus

Post by Jesus vs. Dragons »

Could I possibly just write 12 tossups and email them to you. I am not going to be anywhere near Minnesota, but I wouldn't mind writing 12 sports questions and this would allow someone (i.e. Charlie) to play without writing questions.
Ethan Hewett
UF 2013
Chipola College 2010
Sneads High School 2009

I would gladly take those questions for use.
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
MicroEStudent
Rikku

Post by MicroEStudent »

I'd also be willing to write questions for this as I won't be able to go to this tournament.

Be advised that this would be my first time question writing, but I would make good use of the ACF question writing guide.
Nathaniel Kane
RIT '09, '11 (BS Microelectronic Engineering, MS Microelectronic Engineering)
... and the chaos of Mexican modernity
Rikku

Post by ... and the chaos of Mexican modernity »

Like Ethan I will not be anywhere near Minnesota. Can I at least contribute questions to this event so it's to make it somewhat a little longer, and possibly allow someone to play without writing?
Zach Foster
North Myrtle Beach High School class of 2009
George Mason University class of 2013
naturalistic phallacy
Auron

Post by naturalistic phallacy »

WikiTimeScale wrote:Like Ethan I will not be anywhere near Minnesota. Can I at least contribute questions to this event so it's to make it somewhat a little longer, and possibly allow someone to play without writing?
I, for one, am all for extended lunch breaks.
Bernadette Spencer
University of Minnesota, MCTC
Member, NAQT
Member, ACF
Member Emeritus, PACE
Jesus vs. Dragons
Tidus

Charlie, I will start working on those questions and just email them to you, if you are still interested
Ethan Hewett
UF 2013
Chipola College 2010
Sneads High School 2009
Broad-tailed Grassbird
Tidus

Post by Broad-tailed Grassbird »

theMoMA wrote:Minnesota Open Sunday will feature two academic subject events: Eric Mukherjee's science tournament and Mike Cheyne's vanity literature event. Now, it will have a short trash interlude! MO participants and local sports fans named Brian Weikle are encouraged to write 12 sports tossups for a short free-for-all side event to be played during lunch. Anyone who writes the tossups is allowed to participate for free; players will read their own tossups and play everyone else's tossups against all of the other competitors.

There are only three rules for writing: 1) adhere to the distribution; 2) write tossups of at least six lines in ten-point TNR with one-inch margins; and most importantly, 3) keep almanacky statistical clues to a minimum in favor of amusing anecdotes. If this means writing a tossup on a team instead of a player, do it. The unnumbered fourth rule is to write tossups that the field will be able to answer (so you should probably keep that thirteen-liner on Chris Widger to yourself).

Here is the distribution, based on some blend of what sports quizbowlers follow and what I deem "important."

3 baseball: at least two from the 1990s or 2000s
3 football: at least two from the 1990s or 2000s; one college; two pro
3 basketball: at least two from the 1990s or 2000s; one college; two pro
1 pro hockey
1 soccer (elite pro or international)
1 other; cannot be any of the above (this can be on sports video games, sports movies, sports in other pop culture media, sports in academia, Olympics, tennis, golf, boxing, wrestling, minor college athletics, cycling, WNBA, MLS, lacrosse, hotdog eating contests, World Cyber Games, world's strongest man, or, if you must, MMA)

Please post in the thread if you plan on writing for this event. Remember, it's what the Oklahoma City Thunder's swing-forwards and their incredible nicknames would want you to do.
This is bullshit, hockey is a major part of the sports trash cannon, and this tournament takes place in Minnesota.
Nalin
Scranton Middle School (2000-2003)
Brighton High School (2003-2007)
Michigan State University (2007-2011)
Semi-Retired (2012-present)
marnold
Tidus

Post by marnold »

Odds & Sods wrote:This is bullshit, hockey is a major part of the sports trash cannon, and this tournament takes place in Minnesota.
Whatever, dude. You'll note there's this little thing called "auto racing" that Andrew didn't even include in the "other" category. Agitating for your (or in the case of racing, my) beloved minor sports' place in the distribution in 12 tossup-rounds is doomed to failure. The question of why pro sports should automatically get double college sports on the other hand...
Michael Arnold
Chicago 2010
Columbia Law 2013

2009 ACF Nats Champion
2010 ICT Champion
2010 CULT Champion
Member of Mike Cheyne's Quizbowl All-Heel Team

Fundamental Theorem of Quizbowl (Revised): Almost no one is actually good at quizbowl.
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

Odds & Sods wrote:This is bullshit,
Debatable!
hockey is a major part of the sports trash cannon
Extremely debatable!
cannon
obligatory cannon/canon joke, perhaps we should elect a cannon canon to demarcate the cannon canon from the canon canon, etc.
and this tournament takes place in Minnesota.
And is being run guerilla-style, with attendant arbitrary decisions, by someone who doesn't particularly care for hockey. Your point?
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Well, auto racing should clearly be an acceptable "other" question, I don't think it was intended as an exhaustive list (?).

As for hockey, I would probably argue it deserves a little more love than soccer and "other," and I do think it is a reasonably important part ofthe trash canon. That said, hockey is clearly the least popular of the "Big Four" sports in America and deserves to appear less times than the rest of the Big Three. It's tough with only twelve tossups and no bonuses to be pretty nuanced with dividing everything up fairly.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

marnold
Tidus

Post by marnold »

Cheynem wrote:Well, auto racing should clearly be an acceptable "other" question, I don't think it was intended as an exhaustive list (?).
Well, yeah - I obviously understand that. I'm just saying that "X is an awesome sport for so-and-so reasons and you don't give it the respect you deserve" isn't going to be effective in arguments about this "tournament."
Michael Arnold
Chicago 2010
Columbia Law 2013

2009 ACF Nats Champion
2010 ICT Champion
2010 CULT Champion

Fundamental Theorem of Quizbowl (Revised): Almost no one is actually good at quizbowl.
Camelopardalis
Wakka

Post by Camelopardalis »

Hey, if anyone doesn't feel like writing the hockey for their packet, drop me a line at greenwoc AT uoguelph DOT ca, and I'd be more than happy to freelance it for you.
Chris Greenwood
Lisgar '08, Guelph '15
Member | ONQBA, PACE
Ontario Veterinary College, co 2015

Visit ONQBA on Facebook!
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

The fact that this tournament is, in fact, requiring that hockey be asked in every single round, and it is comprising 8.3% of the distribution (ie, at least twice as much as it gets in normal trash tournaments or in the trash portion of NAQT or whatever) might suggest that the organizer of this event agrees with you re: the importance of hockey or the need to include it.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
theMoMA

Post by theMoMA »

Matt Weiner wrote:The fact that this tournament is, in fact, requiring that hockey be asked in every single round, and it is comprising 8.3% of the distribution (ie, at least twice as much as it gets in normal trash tournaments or in the trash portion of NAQT or whatever) might suggest that the organizer of this event agrees with you re: the importance of hockey or the need to include it.
Yeah, pretty much this.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
theMoMA

Post by theMoMA »

Also, horse racing, auto racing, and anything I didn't include on that list that pertains to sport and is answerable is fine to write about in the "other" category. I just listed as many idea-starters for people as I could think of.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
Jesus vs. Dragons
Tidus

theMoMA wrote:Also, horse racing, auto racing, and anything I didn't include on that list that pertains to sport and is answerable is fine to write about in the "other" category. I just listed as many idea-starters for people as I could think of.
Andrew, I understand that this is the Minnesota Open and it is a difficult tournament, but to what level should these questions be? I played the TRASHional mirrors at UTC, and I remember the difficulty level for that, should that be my target?
Ethan Hewett
UF 2013
Chipola College 2010
Sneads High School 2009
theMoMA

Post by theMoMA »

The difficulty has nothing to do with MO's difficulty. Write questions that you think people will care about and be able to answer, preferably before the end.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
Jesus vs. Dragons
Tidus

theMoMA wrote:The difficulty has nothing to do with MO's difficulty. Write questions that you think people will care about and be able to answer, preferably before the end.
Okay thanks. That makes a big difference in writing material lol.
Ethan Hewett
UF 2013
Chipola College 2010
Sneads High School 2009
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

Bumping this.

How many packets are there going to be?
theMoMA

Post by theMoMA »

In the spirit of Donald's post, please email me at [email protected] if you plan to write a packet for this tournament. People who want to write in twos or threes to cover the distribution are welcome to do so, though obviously this will cut down on the total number of questions.

I will keep a running list of those who have already told me of their plans to write:

-me
-David Seal
-Mike Cheyne
-Donald Taylor
-Brian Weikle
-Bruce Arthur/collaborator?
-Nicholas Bergeron?
-Zach Foster?
-Marnold
-Jimmy Ready
-Matt Weiner?
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
theMoMA

Post by theMoMA »

Since I plan to be an enthusiastic participant of this event, Donald Taylor has graciously agreed to collect the packets. Please randomize and final-edit your packet before you send it to him at dtaylor1987 -at- gmail.com. Donald will be running a mirror in Illinois, so please, send your packets no later than 11:59 PM on Saturday evening.

Also, anyone anywhere is free to mirror this tournament for free. Just get into contact with me and we'll work out having the packets sent to you.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

theMoMA wrote:Since I plan to be an enthusiastic participant of this event, Donald Taylor has graciously agreed to collect the packets. Please randomize and final-edit your packet before you send it to him at dtaylor1987 -at- gmail.com. Donald will be running a mirror in Illinois, so please, send your packets no later than 11:59 PM on Saturday evening.

Also, anyone anywhere is free to mirror this tournament for free. Just get into contact with me and we'll work out having the packets sent to you.
I actually plan on running the mirror on Saturday, during lunch at Ultima. So, I'd like to have the packets by Friday night.
Jesus vs. Dragons
Tidus

I can't write for this. I am sorry. I planned to have this done before school started back and I never got started, and between studying and homework, I do not feel that I can write 12 quality tossups.
Ethan Hewett
UF 2013
Chipola College 2010
Sneads High School 2009
Terrible Shorts Depot
Yuna

Post by Terrible Shorts Depot »

It looks like I won't be playing this. I'll let you know if I'm going to.
Charlie Rosenthal
Shady Side Academy '09
Carleton College '13
University of Pennsylvania '18
marnold
Tidus

Post by marnold »

It's not clear how we're going to organize things on Sunday in terms of when cars will be leaving. I will call myself a tentative yes for now.
Michael Arnold
Chicago 2010
Columbia Law 2013

2009 ACF Nats Champion
2010 ICT Champion
2010 CULT Champion

Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

So, er, since MO Sunday can't be started until 11:00, where will this "lunch interlude" now fit in?

I'm almost tempted to argue that people eat a hearty brunch or something, get in at 11 and just bang out the day.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

jready
Lulu

Post by jready »

marnold wrote:It's not clear how we're going to organize things on Sunday in terms of when cars will be leaving. I will call myself a tentative yes for now.
Assuming Chicago is still around, I'll also do this.
Jimmy Ready
La Jolla High '08, Chicago '12
MicroEStudent
Rikku

Post by MicroEStudent »

theMoMA wrote:In the spirit of Donald's post, please email me at [email protected] if you plan to write a packet for this tournament. People who want to write in twos or threes to cover the distribution are welcome to do so, though obviously this will cut down on the total number of questions.

I will keep a running list of those who have already told me of their plans to write:
-Nathaniel Kane?
I am going to have to rescind my offer to write for this. I am writing for Mike Bentley's tournament and do not want to lose questions for that tournament.
Nathaniel Kane
RIT '09, '11 (BS Microelectronic Engineering, MS Microelectronic Engineering)
Coelacanth
Rikku

Post by Coelacanth »

I am definitely playing this. My packet is 7-and-a-half-twelfths complete.
Brian Weikle
I say what it occurs to me to say when I think I hear people say things. More, I cannot say.
Captain Sinico
Auron

Post by Captain Sinico »

I'd love to play this if it happens before we have to leave.

MaS
Mike Sorice
Former Coach, Centennial High School of Champaign, IL (2014-2020) & Team Illinois (2016-2018)
Alumnus, Illinois ABT (2000-2002; 2003-2009) & Fenwick Scholastic Bowl (1999-2000)
Member, ACF (Emeritus), IHSSBCA, & PACE
Skepticism and Animal Feed
Auron

Post by Skepticism and Animal Feed »

I am fleeing Minnesota before the start of this tournament, but I would love to help somebody write a packet.
Bruce
Harvard '10 / UChicago '07 / Roycemore School '04
ACF Member emeritus
My guide to using Wikipedia as a question source

Please write mine, I can't write sports questions worth crap.

theMoMA

Post by theMoMA »

Please note updated time/place information at the bottom of the post; for all your MN Open scheduling questions, please visit the event schedule post located here: http://hsquizbowl.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8565
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
hartm
Kimahri

Post by hartm »

I will play as well.
Matthew Hart
University of Minnesota '13
... and the chaos of Mexican modernity
Rikku

Post by ... and the chaos of Mexican modernity »

Please take me off the writer's list because due to the heavy amounts of schoolwork that has been given to me. I am sorry I cannot write for this :sad:

Edit: Grammar
Zach Foster
North Myrtle Beach High School class of 2009
George Mason University class of 2013
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

Bumping this. If your packet is done, please send it to me, as I have no others as of right now. If you have, it may have been caught by my spam filter.

Whoever is in charge of this at the various mirrors, let me know who to send it to and when.
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I'll be writing mine sometime probably this weekend. Charlie, is Bruce writing yours for you or would you like some assistance?
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

At this point, I have four packets:

Myself/Chris Greenwood
Jeff Amoros
Mike Cheyne 1
Mike Cheyne 2

If yours is done, email it to me.

EDIT: Whoever is running this at the various sites, let me know who to send the packets to.
Coelacanth
Rikku

Post by Coelacanth »

My packet is essentially done, but I may end up tweaking one or two questions between now and Sunday.

I'll send it to you when I get home this evening, Donald, and if the final version that gets played at the MO site is slightly different, so be it.
Brian Weikle
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

If you plan on sending me a packet, please do it before 3pm tomorrow, so I can get the set sent out. I have no idea whether I will be able to access internet between now and tomorrow.