Maryland Fall Tournament (9/26/09)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Re: Maryland Fall Tournament (9/26/09)

Post by DumbJaques »

Some school districts require proof, such as an "invitation," if a club/team wishes to attend a tournament of any kind. Probably doesn't apply here since ER is located within a morning's drive of College Park.
As someone who has run ER-attended tournaments in another county, I have never had to provide an "invitation" to them (or anyone - I really don't think that's how it works around here). While some schools may require some kind of official email or invoice to authorize a bus or something, that doesn't really matter anyway since any TD would be more than happy to provide such proof to an attending team, and players wouldn't be preoccupied with the bureaucratic ins and outs of their school system anyway.
Will official stats for both the prelims & playoffs be posted soon?
I do not have the stats, but I will ensure that Jeremy posts them tomorrow night at practice (if they aren't up here earlier). Sorry they aren't up already, but I don't think anyone has been home all day.
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Thanks for the stats update Chris---but why no response to my Rutgers gridiron humor? :grin:

Seriously, I gather from your extensive comments on HSAPQ Set 8 and the excellent thread it has generated, you reallly did have more important issues to deal with than a college football score. So---thanks once again for all of your fine efforts, especially your insightful comments on Set 8, in particular the issue of some serious hoses as well as the sometimes extreme variation in bonus convertibility for high school teams. Finally, I agree with you as well that despite these criticisms, we need to maintain perspective---on the whole there was much that was excellent in Set 8, so the real issue is how can the flaws that many did see be improved or overcome in upcoming sets.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

Seriously, I gather from your extensive comments on HSAPQ Set 8 and the excellent thread it has generated, you reallly did have more important issues to deal with than a college football score. So---thanks once again for all of your fine efforts, especially your insightful comments on Set 8, in particular the issue of some serious hoses as well as the sometimes extreme variation in bonus convertibility for high school teams. Finally, I agree with you as well that despite these criticisms, we need to maintain perspective---on the whole there was much that was excellent in Set 8, so the real issue is how can the flaws that many did see be improved or overcome in upcoming sets.
I'm glad your kids got to enjoy the set, and was particularly glad you were able to make your first trip down here. I had never seen SJHS on the circuit before (though my personal experience is geographically limited), and was quite impressed with your performance. Hopefully we'll see you around.
but why no response to my Rutgers gridiron humor?
I'm not really in a football mood right now.
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Chris,

Thanks for the kinds words about my kids. But it does not surprise me that you do not know us---other than Princeton's annual tournament, we had not played elsewhere on the circuit until last year, where we took some lumps but also had some excellent performances as well. And, overall, my kids fell in love with the circuit, so we will be quite active this year. Perhaps we'll see you later in the year---if things go well, we might be down your way for Weekend of Quizbowl in March---but if we do not see you, good luck in all of your quizbowl activities. You are on the U of Md Quizbowl Team, are you not? If so, have a great season. And keep up the good work with the HS Circuit---we need thoughtful people guiding events, as you clearly have done & no doubt will continue to do.

Sorry about your less than happy gridiron mood, but I understand---I seem to recall a posting of yours where you were going to DC this week to ensure that all Americans get healthcare, have great jobs, and own their own homes, so obviously your agenda is far too busy for mere fun and games---unless you call having a great sense of humor an indicator of someone who truly loves fun and games. And, if so, my guess is that your gridiron spirits might return. Might I be correct on this, oh great savior of our economy?
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo »

DumbJaques wrote:I do not have the stats, but I will ensure that Jeremy posts them tomorrow night at practice (if they aren't up here earlier). Sorry they aren't up already, but I don't think anyone has been home all day.
Hm, this didn't happen.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

According to http://results.scobo.net/SQBS.aspx?org= ... =standings, exactly one game occured at this tournament...
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

From what I understand, the wrong stat file was evidently emailed by our stats person. Sorry, I'm not really involved in this aspect of things, but I'll see what I can find out. I guess we may end up having to re-enter statsheets, but such is life.
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
Jeaton1
Wakka

Post by Jeaton1 »

All the technical stuff has been sorted out and I have the correct files. The stats can be seen here:

http://results.scobo.net/SQBS.aspx?org= ... =standings

Much apologies for the delay.
Jeremy Eaton
Maryland Academic Quiz Team
The King's Flight to the Scots
Auron

Post by The King's Flight to the Scots »

Matt GDS A 11.0 75 67 19

:shock:

But we knew that already. However, we didn't know this:
BHrd BPts P/B
11 330 30.00
Without meaning to be a fanboy, I predict that GDS could break top 5 once again.
Last edited by The King's Flight to the Scots on Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt Bollinger
UVA '14, UVA '15
Nine-Tenths Ideas
Auron

Post by Nine-Tenths Ideas »

Yeah, I was looking at this and did a double take when I saw Matt had more 15s than 10s.

I didn't do a double take when I saw I had more -5s than 15s, though.
Isaac Hirsch
University of Maryland '14
Never Gonna Play Again
Auron

Jeaton1 wrote:All the technical stuff has been sorted out and I have the correct files. The stats can be seen here:

http://results.scobo.net/SQBS.aspx?org= ... =standings

Much apologies for the delay.
Thanks Jeremy. It's not a problem. We knew you guys would come up with them soon, hope we didn't bug too much. It was a really good tournament.

And yes, Matt Jackson is amazing.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
Auron

That first consolation bracket was ridiculous. For those who didn't see what it was... CR, St. Joseph's A, St. Joseph's B, and GDS B were in a four-team bracket of the "just missed the playoffs" teams. And in this bracket...

CR lost to St. Joseph's A twice... but won its other four games.
St. Joseph's A lost to GDS B twice... but won its other four games.
GDS B lost to CR twice (and St. Joseph's B once)... but won its other three games.
St. Joseph's B lost to every team twice... except to GDS B which was their only win.

So it's between CR and St. Joe's for consolation bracket "champions." How could this be determined? I guess it's St. Joe's since they beat us both times. We left thinking we played terribly (both of those losses should not have happened, but as you can see Trey turned into Negatron that day) but we ended up tied for first in it. Fascinating.

Upon further review, that's really a lot of freaking negs by Trey. One less than Isaac. When you approach his numbers, you know you're reaching epic proportions. :smile: But with waaaay fewer fifteens... it's not a good stat line.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
Nine-Tenths Ideas
Auron

Hah, nobody gets more negs than I do. I leave a trail of neg prizes in my wake. Thank goodness for that game against RM where I decided to go insane, or I would've had pretty much even P/N.
Isaac Hirsch
Never Gonna Play Again
Auron

One more: is the tiebreaker game between CR and RM going to be entered into the stats as well? Yeah i know it was a loss for us, but it was a good game and i'd like to see the numbers on it (even though i did keep score, i literally was the scorekeeper for that game so i don't have another paper i wrote anything on).
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

Aldo Montoya wrote:Hah, nobody gets more negs than I do. I leave a trail of neg prizes in my wake. Thank goodness for that game against RM where I decided to go insane, or I would've had pretty much even P/N.
Come on, getting the neg prize is no fun for anyone if you're actually trying to get it. At least Maryland didn't have enough books to "award" a neg prize... :roll:

Also, if we're going to complain about missing games, the finals match between GDS and RM seems to be missing as well.
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF
Nine-Tenths Ideas
Auron

I was kind of being sarcastic. I neg a lot. Neg prizes are small consolations for my inability to figure out where questions are going or remember the name of that thing.
Isaac Hirsch
Never Gonna Play Again
wexs883198215
Wakka

Post by wexs883198215 »

Um....try to avoid buzzing on "where the question is going" as much on decent pyramidals?

By the way, when is this set going to be posted? It appears that the three tournaments using this set (according to HSAPQ anyway) finished on 9/26.
Kuo-Kai Chin
Walter Johnson High School '11
Harvard University '15
Stanford University School of Medicine '19
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

There appear to be a few minor errors with the stats, which we'll fix and re-upload tonight.

I have a rather complicated announcement concerning the result of the GDS B - St. Joseph's A playoff game in round 10 (recorded as a 270-265 GDS B win). It seems that, by verification of both teams, St. Joe's lodged a protest on a tossup with the understanding that it would be resolved if it mattered at the end of the game. Since it did matter, both teams then again confirmed with the moderator that he would take care of protest resolution, and went to their final round games. Unfortunately, this never happened, and I didn't even hear about the protest until I happened to strike up a conversation after the finals with a player from GDS B.

After looking into the protest and discussing the matter with the other two parties, it's clear to me that there WAS a protest filed in accordance with the rules, and that the staffer did not represent the situation accurately when asked about it before we broke down the tournament site. As to the actual protest, while I cannot go into specifics regarding the question, I will attempt an explanation:
1) St. Joe's buzzed in on the beginning of a tossup's third clue and gave an answer that was equally specific as the answer line, and identically correct, pertaining to the first and third clues.
2) The reader prompted the player, who did not add anything more (for reasons which will become clear in a second), negged him, and finished for GDS B, who got the tossup, earning 10 points on the question and 10 points on the bonus.
3) St. Joe's protested, at the time over the issue of the second clue being incorrect in regards to both their answer and the question line.

It is indisputable that the second clue was entirely incorrect. It is further indisputable that the St. Joe's player's answer was at least equally as correct and specific as the answer line for the first and third clues, and thus should absolutely have been prompted, and really should have been accepted since giving the question line's answer rather than theirs would have required reading the mind of the packet author. The Maryland protest committee has talked this over, and has decided to award the tossup to the St. Joe's player, for giving an answer that was equally correct and no more general than the answer line. By rule, these facts make the buzz correct, and St. Joe's is awarded 15 points for the removed neg and the question value, GDS B loses the 20 points they earned on the bounceback, and St. Joe's wins 280-250 - I'm sorry a bonus can't be read to you over skype, Coach Powers, but hopefully this will be a satisfactory result.

I can't apologize enough for the fact that his happened, or that it has to be resolved so long after the fact - I hope GDS B does not feel cheated, for they did absolutely nothing wrong and played a great game and tournament. The moderator's conduct, both after the game and later when I spoke to him, are bizarre and inexcusable, and do not reflect the standards we try to uphold at our tournaments. It's entirely my fault that teams were put in a position where this lapse in judgment could have affected them, and I sincerely apologize. If teams have any questions, please feel free to email me.

EDIT: Sorry that stats aren't in playoff brackets and appear quite confusing - we'll get this fixed as well tonight, and list the final order of finish for teams.
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
Rufous-capped Thornbill
Tidus

Post by Rufous-capped Thornbill »

Matt, those stats are absolutely sick! That's incredible.
Jarret Greene
South Range '10 / Ohio State '13 / Vermont '17
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

No need to apologize, Chris---you did not know about the protest until a player from GDS B informed you of it and we were already well on our way back to New Jersey. Thus, I really want to thank the GDS B kids---they were truly sportsmanlike throughout. Further, we had rallied furiously from about 150 down to take a 25 point lead on the 19th TU, I think, but the GDS B kids kept their cool, hit the last TU and 20-ied the bonus to apparently win by 5---so both teams had reasons to be proud of each of their perfomances in such an exciting match. Of course, the 5 point margin triggered the agreed upon protest, and the decison is of course what it is--we cannot for obvious reasons release details. However, I do wish the GDS B kids could share the win with us, because they were responsible for making sure that the issue of the protest was officially addressed, so kudos to them. They represent the best in the spirit of quizbowl and I tip my hat to them and wish them nothing but the best the rest of the season. And, considering how good GDS A is, it is scary how good their program is, because against us GDS B was terrific---in their first match with us they hit 5 or 6 powers!!!--- and so it seems their A Team has an excellent supporting cast developing on GDS B---great for them, but for the rest of the quizbowl world a possible nightmare to deal with. At least that's how I see it after playing both their squads on Saturday.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
Angry Babies in Love
Yuna

Post by Angry Babies in Love »

Aldo Montoya wrote:Hah, nobody gets more negs than I do. I leave a trail of neg prizes in my wake.
Actually if the Circle of Death tiebreaker stats goes up, I think Trey might surpass you.
Raynell Cooper
Arcadia ES '04
Richard Montgomery HS '11
George Washington University '15
University of Maryland, College Park '17
Hella things, National History Bee and Bowl
Auron

rmgeokid wrote:
Aldo Montoya wrote:Hah, nobody gets more negs than I do. I leave a trail of neg prizes in my wake.
Actually if the Circle of Death tiebreaker stats goes up, I think Trey might surpass you.
Yes! I can't wait for this to happen.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
Kouign Amann
Forums Staff: Moderator

Post by Kouign Amann »

I know you said you'll be updating stats tonight, but I just want to make sure that you caught that Chris's stellar 0/1/3 in the half game against TJ A is actually my stellar 0/1/3.
Aidan Mehigan
St. Anselm's Abbey School '12
Columbia University '16 | University of Oxford '17 | UPenn GSE '19
daterwey
Kimahri

Post by daterwey »

Thanks for the stats, guys...and Matt, nice work. You seriously are a boss.
Aaron Knowlson
Saint Joseph High School
wd4gdz
Tidus

Post by wd4gdz »

wexs883198215 wrote:By the way, when is this set going to be posted? It appears that the three tournaments using this set (according to HSAPQ anyway) finished on 9/26.
Billy Beyer, formerly of FSU
Ethnic history of the Vilnius region
Auron

Post by Ethnic history of the Vilnius region »

This set will be used at future tournaments. It will be made available shortly thereafter.
Eric D.
University of South Carolina Alum
wexs883198215
Wakka

Post by wexs883198215 »

Duke The Dumpster Droese wrote:This set will be used at future tournaments. It will be made available shortly thereafter.
So, just out of curiosity, which tournaments would that be?
Kuo-Kai Chin
Harvard University '15
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

wexs883198215 wrote:
Duke The Dumpster Droese wrote:This set will be used at future tournaments. It will be made available shortly thereafter.
So, just out of curiosity, which tournaments would that be?
One I'm running in a few days. We were originally going to use set 9, but got switched to 8.
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

Hey, here are the updated stats (a few minor details fixed, plus the correction to the GDS B - St. Joe's A result):
http://results.scobo.net/resultmenu.aspx?org=MAQT&id=4

Thus, the final finishing order for the tournament's three playoff brackets:

1. GDS A
2. Richard Montgomery
3. TJ A
4. St. Anselm's
5. Whitman
6. Kellenberg
7. Fake Blake
8. Gonzaga
9. St. Joseph's A
10. Caesar Rodney
11. GDS B
12. St. Joseph's B
13. Eleanor Roosevelt
14. TJ B
15. Wilson
16. Howard

Let me know if you see any issues.
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Thank you, Chris.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

On behalf of PACE, I'm very pleased to announce that this tournament is the first tournament of the 2009-2010 season to receive platinum certification. This is the highest level of certification we award.

Thanks to this certification, four additional teams qualify and each team receives an additional $40 discount on their entry fee for the 2010 PACE NSC. These teams can also register for the NSC beginning on December 1.

We thanks the University of Maryland very much for their excellent work and congratulate all of the qualifying teams on their great performance.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Auron

This tournament was very much worthy of the platinum certification. Congratulations to the additional teams that qualify for NSC now. It is somewhat a shame that we missed out on the bid due to a circle of death tiebreaker for the playoffs... but, well, we aren't going to NSC anyway so i guess it doesn't matter.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
wexs883198215
Wakka

Post by wexs883198215 »

Wait, so playing as fake Blake, real Blake qualified?
Kuo-Kai Chin
Harvard University '15
Nine-Tenths Ideas
Auron

wexs883198215 wrote:Wait, so playing as fake Blake, real Blake qualified?
Is there some issue with this? All players present were all members of the Blake team, or at least attend Blake high school, in the case of one player.
Isaac Hirsch
Never Gonna Play Again
sir negsalot
Wakka

Post by sir negsalot »

If we continue to finish successfully in tournaments, can we keep getting 40 bucks off each time?
Daniel Galitsky
Richard Montgomery HS-2012
University of Maryland-2016
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

sir negsalot wrote:If we continue to finish successfully in tournaments, can we keep getting 40 bucks off each time?
Actually, it's a $60 discount for qualifying at a platinum tournament. But they do not "stack"; you just get one discount, which is based off the highest level of certification your team has qualified at that year. The financial benefit of qualifying at one platinum tournament is the same as qualifying at ten of them.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
wexs883198215
Wakka

Post by wexs883198215 »

Aldo Montoya wrote:
Is there some issue with this? All players present were all members of the Blake team, or at least attend Blake high school, in the case of one player.
Nah. I mean it just seemed bizarre to me.
Kuo-Kai Chin
Harvard University '15
Angry Babies in Love
Yuna

Post by Angry Babies in Love »

wexs883198215 wrote:
Aldo Montoya wrote:
Nah. I mean it just seemed bizarre to me.
It is kinda bizarre considering they weren't officially endorsed by their school and didn't attend as Blake. I still think you guys should be qualified, no doubt, but it's kinda odd.
Raynell Cooper
Arcadia ES '04
Richard Montgomery HS '11
George Washington University '15
University of Maryland, College Park '17
Hella things, National History Bee and Bowl
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

I mean, everyone on that team is a student at Blake. Thus, a team composed of nothing but students at Blake earned a berth. Their choice of name seems to me to be irrelevant, and I think I would be frustrated if I were denied a bid to a national championship just because my coach doesn't let me officially register for something under his auspices if everything else about my team was in line. Have some empathy, people.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
wexs883198215
Wakka

Post by wexs883198215 »

Yea sorry about that. It's kinda unfortunate that you don't get to officially register for so much many tournaments. You guys deserve to qualify though, obviously.
I don't suppose your coach will prevent you guys from going to PACE...right?
Kuo-Kai Chin
Harvard University '15
Nine-Tenths Ideas
Auron

wexs883198215 wrote:Yea sorry about that. It's kinda unfortunate that you don't get to officially register for so much many tournaments. You guys deserve to qualify though, obviously.
I don't suppose your coach will prevent you guys from going to PACE...right?
No idea. Last year we went on our own, so I really don't know.
Isaac Hirsch
Never Gonna Play Again