Pace Nationals Results

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
solonqb
Rikku

Post by solonqb »

What is happening with the stats?
Noah Rahman
Welcome to Simbabwe, where the property is already owned and the houses built and you compete to burn and dispossess them. Compete with Robert Mugabe, Canaan Banana, Cecil Rhodes and Sir Godfrey Huggins to earn a place on the all-time EU travel ban list!
Byko
Yuna

Post by Byko »

I have just finished finalizing everything and have sent them to Tom. It's a pain when you have to go through scoresheets in detail and find that people (a) can't write, (b) can't add, or (c) both.

It's all done now, though. Sorry for the delays--having a real job and stuff does take up a lot of time.
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

I have posted the spreadsheet (as HTML) onto the website at http://www.pace-nsc.org/ . Access it from the regular list of stats on the middle of the page.

The page will pop up, and on the lower left corner you can flip between worksheets.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
Paragon1
Lulu

Post by Paragon1 »

can we not view it without office xp?
AE Ismail
Lulu

Post by AE Ismail »

Paragon1 wrote:can we not view it without office xp?
Yes, but you have to install Microsoft Office Web Components and then use Internet Explorer (yuck) to view the file.
Paragon1
Lulu

Post by Paragon1 »

thanks, i thought i did that, but apparently i dl'ed the wrong one. congrats to everyone who did well.
pakman044
Rikku

Post by pakman044 »

For those of you who do not want to install the plugin, or can't download the 2MB file very easily, I am in the process of porting it to HTML (which I should be able to finish tonight, assuming my computer does not crash multiple times).

Patrick King
pakman044
Rikku

Post by pakman044 »

I have completed transferring it to an easier to read HTML file. It is still based on Excel, but you will not have to download any plugins to view it.

It is located at http://www4.ncsu.edu/~paking/statistics2004.htm .

Patrick King
Paragon1
Lulu

Post by Paragon1 »

heh its a good thing they didnt put the stats up for negs
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

Thanks... I was going to try to do that myself but couldn't figure why it wasn't doing it the way I wanted.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
pakman044
Rikku

Post by pakman044 »

Probably because you had Office XP; I bought Office 2002 *just* before Office XP came out. I guess it's a good thing too...I shudder when you have to have plugins to view something like that.

PK
AE Ismail
Lulu

Post by AE Ismail »

Very interesting. *35* players averaged 50 points or more per game in the preliminary rounds, and *31* players pulled off the feat when playoff rounds are included.

Do we have any statistics about how players fared at previous NSC's? I don't remember having anywhere near this level of performance in previous years.
pakman044
Rikku

Post by pakman044 »

Well, I just did a little looking and found the following (below). There's a chance that I could be off by a couple numbers, but in general these were the numbers:

Code: Select all

Year     Teams     Prelim     Playoffs     Overall     
2003     27        22         21           19             
2002     40        29         --           --            
2001     22        13*        12           11      
*I couldn't find prelim ppg, so I extrapolated it from the rest of the sheet.
Stat links: 2003, 2002, 2001.

I'm not sure how comparable these years are, due to the varying difficulties in questions, specific rules and format.

Patrick King