NY/NJ 2009-2010

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
TheCzarMan
Tidus

NY/NJ 2009-2010

Post by TheCzarMan »

I honestly have been out of contact with everyone this summer, and have no clue whats going on with the circuit. Of course, Hunter will be amazing, but other than that I have no idea whats going on in this region. I'm also shocked no one made this thread yet.
Nick Petrilli
Bloomfield High School 2009
Freelance/Mercenary Moderator, TD, Player, and Reader
Ondes Martenot
Tidus

Re: NY/NJ 2009-2010

Post by Ondes Martenot »

Well, Hunter will almost certainly be the team to beat, although they still have some gaps in knowledge. Kellenberg should have a fairly good team as well. Other than that, I'm not too sure. St. Joseph could be decent, Bergen has potential but needs a lot of work, East Brunswick always tends to be alright and I assume Seton Hall will have improved. I know Fred ranked LIvingston 17th in his "poll" but I find this somewhat hard to believe.
Aaron Cohen, Bergen County Academies '08, RPI '12, NYU-???, NAQT writer, HSAPQ writer, PACE writer
Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo »

aarcoh wrote: I know Fred ranked LIvingston 17th in his "poll" but I find this somewhat hard to believe.
That's arguably the most perplexing rank he made. I don't really get that one. I mean, this team is NOT better than Raleigh Charter (ranked 20th) or, like, a few schools in New Jersey, no doubt.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Dr. Bunsen Honeydew wrote:
aarcoh wrote: I know Fred ranked LIvingston 17th in his "poll" but I find this somewhat hard to believe.
That's arguably the most perplexing rank he made. I don't really get that one. I mean, this team is NOT better than Raleigh Charter (ranked 20th) or, like, a few schools in New Jersey, no doubt.
I'm pretty good at being wrong! This wouldn't be the first time, sure won't be the last.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

I agree that Hunter will be the best in this region and contend for national honors as well. After that, my guess is that Kellenberg could still be quite good---I believe James and possibly Nik & Hunter are back, and their B team was very good last year. Bergen is always dangerous; Jay, Gabe, Dennis and Ian are back, I believe, so they could be very very good indeed. Seton Hall had a sophomore dominated team last year and gained a great deal of experience---I think they could be the sleeper team in the state, and they'll be around for two more years. As for Livingston, I do not think they should be overlooked---if Fred Morlan's facts are correct, they have 4 or 5 players returning from their A & B teams who together won over 11 or 12 matches at the HSNCT, so they will be a seasoned team right off the bat. Whether they can live up to a #18 Preseason National ranking is hard to say, but they surely have talent.

As for other teams, I do not know. East Brunswick always seems to field excellent teams, and Millburn had several great tournaments last year, but I do not know who they are returning. Stuyvesant lost Aidan, and HHH West lost some key players, so I do not know how good they will be. Some other sleepers could be MAST---they had an outstanding sophomore last year whose name escapes me, but if he could get some help, they might make some noise. And of course High Tech, Pingry, Newark Academy and Delbarton often field very good teams, but I do not know enough abut them to say much more. As for my team, Saint Joe's, I've lost 5 of my top 6 players from last year's very good team, but my returning B team started to improve significantly and gain confidence at the very end of the year, and I do have several pretty talented sophomores-so with this combination we could be dangerous too, but we could also be quite inconsistent. But my kids have been working hard and are looking forward to an interesting year. Were I to list a Top 10 in the region, it would probably be as follows:

1. Hunter, probably in a class by itself;

Then this second tier, which could be extremely competitive and very good, both locally and possibly nationally:

2. Kellenberg
3. Bergen
4. Livingston
5. Seton Hall (this team could surprise everyone)

and then a 3rd tier for now consisting of teams with unknown potential:

6. East Brunswick (and so could this one)
7. Millburn
8. MAST
9. Stuyvesant
10. High Tech

My kids may be upset at me for not including them, but I do not think they're there yet---and maybe by upsetting them a little, they'll work even harder to prove me wrong. ( A little reverse psychology from a coach!!! :grin: )

Have I overlooked anyone? No doubt---and probably some very good teams---Columbia comes to mind--- so just remember, this is simply one man's opinion, designed, really, to trigger a little fun on this thread. So---all are invited to contradict me & chastise me for overlooking anyone or for rating any team too high or too low...I look forward to hearing from all who are interested in a little enjoyable debate. Perhaps you can post an alternative Top 10 List...
Last edited by Edward Powers on Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

Also look out for Ward Melville, two players that were Sophomores when I was a senior have gotten pretty good, and they return 3 from last year's A team. The big problem is that they never travel, and likely will only be at LIFT and Hills' tournament, though I am trying to persuade them to go further out, but this may be their year to place in the finals at RQB, and maybe win because who knows with the question quality there!
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
ajfonty
Kimahri

Post by ajfonty »

From an objective standpoint, St. Joseph's lost several seniors due to college. However, I feel that the current juniors have the capability to potentially take their place. Whether Mr. Powers wants his reverse psychology or not, I think that the capability is there. We just have to see how the new seniors perform when crunch time comes.

Will it be an Aaron Rodgers type breakout? Or a JaMarcus Russel let down? We will see.
Anthony Fontanetta
St. Joseph High School - Senior
History/Geography
nitins14
Kimahri

Post by nitins14 »

Interesting list, Coach Powers.

I'll keep that in mind as we start going to some tournaments.
Last edited by nitins14 on Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nitin Srinivasan
St. Joseph High School
sjhsquizbowl
Lulu

Post by sjhsquizbowl »

Will it be an Aaron Rodgers type breakout? Or a JaMarcus Russel let down? We will see.
I appreciate the sports reference Fontanetta. I think you guys have the potential to be pretty good and maybe knock off some of the big boys.
Publius '09
St. Joseph High School
SHP Pirate
Rikku

Post by SHP Pirate »

Not really the place for this, but I will "float" it here until I am ready for a formal announcement. SHP will be hosting a North Jersey League this fall. I have already spoken with NAQT about using an "A" packet which will not be played anywhere in this area durnig the fall. (87A) My thought is this: 12-16 teams (limited to 2 teams per school), three dates (Tues., Weds., or Thurs. afterschool ... @ 4:30) from September - December, four matches per date. All games to be played at SHP. When we tried this last time, the host was responsible for ordering pizzas/drinks/etc. To keep this as simple as possible, food will not be offered this time. The purpose of this league is to promote GOOD quizbowl which will not interfere with regular weekend events. (Secretly, I am hoping that this will encourage schools to get more involved with Saturday tournaments!)

Whether we seperate A and B teams, keep them all together, etc., is yet to be determined. Obviously, proximity to SHP is a must. (Hence the NORTH Jersey nature of the league.) All stats (both team and personal) will be recorded. Twelve guaranteed rounds. This would cost @ $15 for each team for the entire fall league. (In order to keep costs down, we will skip the trophies this fall.) Assuming that all works well, I would offer a spring league in January using either a different NAQT set or HSAPQ questions.

So ... I have thrown this out there. What do you think?
Michael T. Zinsmeister
Director of Admission
Seton Hall Preparatory School
West Orange, NJ
Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo »

That's a very cool idea. Hope it works out.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Saint Joseph's would be love to get involved with two teams. And, a point of clarification Coach: Did you mean the Fall league would begin in September & run through December ( requiring 16 A Sets at 4 matches per month), or will it run from October through December to match the 12 sets per A packet?. Or, from September through November?
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
SHP Pirate
Rikku

Post by SHP Pirate »

Three dates between September and December. (12 packets per "A" set, 4 games per date) Personally, I would like to have the three dates be late September (before Princeton), late October (after Kellenberg), and either right before or right after Thanksgiving.

For the Spring league, assuming that I am able to reserve a regular NAQT packet, we would have 15 rounds to play with. Perhaps then we could play three dates at 4 rounds each, and reserve 3 packets for some playoff type structure.

I will pick dates early this week and post a formal announcement here at hsquizbowl.org as well as on our local yahoo site.
Michael T. Zinsmeister
Director of Admission
Seton Hall Preparatory School
West Orange, NJ
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Thanks for the clarification---and a warm-up before Princeton seems like an excellent idea, especially for inexperienced teams.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
ajfonty
Kimahri

Post by ajfonty »

Just a note: the Shore League High School Chess matches are every week after school on Wednesdays. I would suggest planning a on any other day besides that.
Anthony Fontanetta
St. Joseph High School - Senior
History/Geography
Ondes Martenot
Tidus

Post by Ondes Martenot »

Hey, just a shout out on this thread...

RPI is hosting an NAQT tournament on October 17th using set IS-86. I know Princeton is also using that set for Oct. 3rd, so I imagine most teams will attend that. But if for some reason you can't make that date, we would love to see your at our tournament, which is in Troy, NY, about a 2-2.5 hour drive from the NYC area.
Aaron Cohen, Bergen County Academies '08, RPI '12, NYU-???, NAQT writer, HSAPQ writer, PACE writer
daterwey
Kimahri

Post by daterwey »

Hopefully, we'll jump higher on Coach Powers' list. I think we can do it, and, with J'Paul, we definitely can.
Aaron Knowlson
Saint Joseph High School
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Some questions or comments for three of our previous posters:

First, CzarMan:

You started this thread---any comments on what you've read so far? On predictions? On the proposed Fall League? And, given your connections to Bloomfield & previous involvement with BATE, any news on BATE for the upcoming season? Will it run? If so, any date or dates in mind?

Next, Ian (dinoian)

Could you tell us more about Ward Melville's team, since it does not travel much? And what is "RQB"?

Finally, Aaron:

Good luck with your tournament; hopefully the conflict with Princeton ends up not mattering very much, and that there will be many teams who find RPI a better geographic fit.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

RQB is Regional Quiz Bowl for teams in Nassau and Suffolk County that uses a four quarters format on questions that are a combination of funn and hoses, not even coming close to approximating pyramidality.

As for the team, I know Ruoyi is probably going to be captain of the A team, and he knows music, art, bio, and a bit of literature pretty well. Kevin is also a senior and he knows a lot of science and history. These two should be getting most of the points, and I can see them each putting up 40 ppg at LIFT when on the same team. We also have a junior Nevin who was pretty good at being a generalist, though his strongest point is probably comp. math (which RQB has quite a bit of). I'm not sure who #4 will be, but this team will probably surprise a few people if they decide to attend stuff.

The coach has a "hands off" attitude, where the only decisions he makes are who is the A team for RQB, but for the other tournaments we just play with our friends, and rarely seem to finish extremely well or horrible. For example, my senior year at Half Hollow Hills' tournament we entered 3 teams, all made the playoffs at 26(C),27(A),28(B) out of a field of 88. If we had played our best team, then we probably would have had one of those 3-1 prelim teams go 4-0, but another 1-3 or 2-2.
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Ian,

Thanks for the update. And if your analysis of the players you mentioned is correct, Ward Melville will surprise many teams---but now that you've publicized this, any success they have will be less surprising. A humorous "Catch-22" consequence, don't you think?

Seriously, two players each scoring 40ppg+ in a good field is a strong core for any team; if they get any help from their 3rd & 4th players, they could become an elite team. It is too bad they do not travel more---our area could always use another quality team so that the bar is raised for everyone.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
TheCzarMan
Tidus

Post by TheCzarMan »

Edward Powers wrote:Some questions or comments for three of our previous posters:

First, CzarMan:

You started this thread---any comments on what you've read so far? On predictions? On the proposed Fall League? And, given your connections to Bloomfield & previous involvement with BATE, any news on BATE for the upcoming season? Will it run? If so, any date or dates in mind?
I've got nothing really to add so far, I'm really unfamiliar with a lot of the players in the circuit, I kept up mostly with the class I was in and the class above me, besides Lily and York. I'm happy to hear the fall league happening, as I hoped it would happen last year but at least it will come to fruition. As for BATE, I have no idea what date the district gave us. I will so that that I will make sure it runs, and that the tournament will not be housewritten and more than likely I will try and grab a mirror for the team.
Nick Petrilli
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

I am gaining the DISTINCT impression that the NJ/NY area is populated by some very SHY people. No one cares to post an alternative TOP 10 Prediction for the Region?

And we Jerseyans & New Yorkers seem to have such a different national rep, where we are often depicted as boisterous & opinionated extroverts---or am I missing something? Seems these stereotypes must change in the light of the near absolute silence on this thread!!!

Or is it just too early in the season?

Meawhile, CZARMAN---any update on the DATE that the district set aside for BATE? And, any update on the possibility that you might try to be the TD for NAQT States? And, just for fun, if so, any ideas about a possible date for States? Jon Pinyan had suggested on the NJ Coaches site something like March 20th or 21st---whichever of these 2 dates is the Saturday. Any thoughts on this? Finally---I'm very nosey this evening, don't you think?---have you been in contact with Jon? Or with Coach Zinsmeister, who publicly offered SHP as a site for States?

Meanwhile, if anyone else out there has ideas for NAQT states in NJ, care to share? It seems to me, all kidding aside, that this is a topic that is important enough to discuss early in the year, so that wise decisions can be made--- in consultation with NAQT, of course--- so that as many schools as possible have both an opportunity to get involved in these decisions if they wish, and, equally important, have as much lead time as possible to schedule the known and agreed upon date so that we have as broad a field as we could hope for in competing for the state title. Further, this kind of process and involvement might help us to better organize the entire year in this region, helping to give our kids as many opportunities to compete in quality tournaments as possible.

So---any extroverts out there willing to dispel the notion that we are just simple, shy & laconic folk in this region? :lol:
Last edited by Edward Powers on Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
Rompimientos del Centauro
Lulu

Post by Rompimientos del Centauro »

Unfortunately I don't keep up enough with the local circuit, I'm learning a lot about New Jersey teams reading this myself.
I will say that I think Stuyvesant has potential-having read for their B team at Prison Bowl, they seemed like a solid team and are bringing back their main players.
York Chen
Hunter '12
Vassar '16
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

York,

Thanks for both the response and the insights re: Stuyvesant. I am not familiar enough with their B team---I read several times for their excellent A Team last year at Chatham, but I never saw their B Team and I do not know who, if anyone, was returning from their A team. But it would not surprise at all if Stuyvesant has a quality team, and I trust your ability to form such assessments.

Meanwhile---how does Hunter feel about their Pre-Season National ranking? Do you appreciate it but tend to ignore it? Do you feel pressure to live up to it? Do you feel like you are the flagship school of this region?
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
lchen
Wakka

Post by lchen »

I honestly don't know enough about local teams (or any teams, for that matter) to rank them in any meaningful way, but your top 10 upthread looks about right.
Edward Powers wrote: Meanwhile---how does Hunter feel about their Pre-Season National ranking? Do you appreciate it but tend to ignore it? Do you feel pressure to live up to it? Do you feel like you are the flagship school of this region?
We definitely appreciate the high ranking and I sure hope we can live up to it, but I'm not sure if it's entirely deserved, since we haven't played too many of the other top 50 teams from Fred's list (probably due to not playing HSNCT). I think it is a bit too early in the season, especially since a lot of NY/NJ teams graduated some key players this year.
Lily Chen
Hunter '12, MIT '16
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Lily,

You are doubtless correct about the time of the year---it is probably way too early to be making any serious predictions---but it can be fun, and, it can probably shed some light on the region when people who do know some teams attempt to provide an honest assessment of what they have in fact observed.

Meanwhile, although you did not go to HSNCT, you did go to PACE's NSC, and if memory serves, both your teams did quite well---although rumor has it that your A Team has since lost a pretty good player? But you don't govern your judgments by rumor, do you? :lol:

Seriously, given your personal performance with the A Team and the quality of your B Team's performance at PACE, my guess is that Fred felt that he had sufficient objective data to rank you as high as he did. And I saw you & York lead your A & B Teams at BOAT last spring, and given your victory there over an excellent Kellenberg team, as well as your B team's fine performance that day as well-a 3d place finish, I believe--- I would agree with Fred that Hunter is in excellent shape this year and has every reason to expect another banner season. But, as you suggest, you still have to live up to these expectations---and I am sure that will be part of the fun for you and your teammates as the season develops.
Last edited by Edward Powers on Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
TheKingInYellow
Rikku

Post by TheKingInYellow »

Will Stuyvesant even have a traveling team? I was under the impression that their club lost funding
Graham Moyer
State College 2011
Harvard 2015
Sir Thopas
Auron

Post by Sir Thopas »

TheKingInYellow wrote:Will Stuyvesant even have a traveling team? I was under the impression that their club lost funding
I'm pretty sure they never really had any.
Guy Tabachnick
Hunter '09
Brown '13

http://memoryofthisimpertinence.blogspot.com/
Guybo
Wakka

Post by Guybo »

Hard to gauge how Livingston will be this year. We lost 3 of 4 from our A team (one junior from last year graduated early) but some nice players from B team to replace. 17th ranking sounds high to me as well but they sound motivated so we'll see. I really don't have a sense of our region so much but I'm sure my players know more than I do. Looking forward to seeing everyone on the circuit this year. We'll come as time permits... hope to come out as often as we can.
Guy Rabner
Spanish and Italian teacher
Academic Team coach
Livingston HS (NJ)
The Infanta
Wakka

Post by The Infanta »

Edward Powers wrote:I believe James and possibly Nik & Hunter are back..
This year's A Team sees the return of James, Nik, and Kevin. Hunter graduated with me. A fourth person has yet to be found.
Marisol Brady (they/them)
Kellenberg Memorial HS '09
University of Delaware '1X
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Thanks for the update on Kellenberg. Looks like a pretty good trio to me, so if they find a helpful 4th player, they will remain a dangerous team, both locally & nationally.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Coach Zinsmeister,

Any updates on your proposed North Jersey League?
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

So now that we've seen two tournaments in the area (both won by Charter in second-half comebacks), here's my view of the top teams in the NJ/SENY area.

1) Hunter. I doubt their continued performance surprises anyone. Their third place finish at LIFT masks that they may have had the best performance through the day, being the #2 seed after prelims and #1 into the final four. Played Charter close the whole semifinal, losing on the 20th bonus.
2) St Joseph. Finished in the quarters at PHSAT after losing to Charter in the prelims, then losing to Charter in the playoffs. Finished 2nd at LIFT after losing to Charter in the final. If they're the only team that can beat you (and you play them as close as St Joe's did yesterday), you're a great team.
3) Bergen. Has potentially benefited from easy prelim draws. At PHSAT, no other team in their group won a playoff or consolation game, and at LIFT, their group's runner-up was ranked near the bottom of the 6-1 teams. But they beat Livingston and they beat SH Prep. Also, they say that now that they've qualified two teams, they will stop splitting their strength.
4) Kellenberg. No head-to-head results against any other top-tier team yet, but seeded behind Bergen and ahead of Livingston at PHSAT, and they beat Charter-C, who'd beaten Livingston. Obviously, all I can say about how they did at LIFT was that they ran a great tournament and had fun costumes.
5) Livingston. Unbeaten in prelim play at both tournaments, they were knocked out early in the playoffs at PHSAT. Lost to Bergen at LIFT, but defeated Stuyvesant and Bergen-B to claim fifth place.

Next tier: East Brunswick, Stuyvesant, Seton Hall Prep, Bergen-B*, Millburn.
*Bergen-B is here based on their results to date. If team consolidation does occur, it could weaken B.

Except for the circle-of-death between Stuy, SHP, and BCA-B, these rankings don't contradict any head-to-head meeting.
Jon Pinyan
Coach, Bergen County Academies (NJ); former player for BCA (2000-03) and WUSTL (2003-07)
HSQB forum mod, PACE member
Stat director for: NSC '13-'15, '17; ACF '14, '17, '19; NHBB '13-'15; NASAT '11

"A [...] wizard who controls the weather" - Jerry Vinokurov
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Jon,

Thanks for the kind words about my team. But based on results so far, Kellenberg deserves the spot you assigned to us, for they defeated us head to head at Yale and won the tournament, going undefeated in the process. They also placed 6th in a very difficult field at the U of Maryland, and 3rd at Princeton, defeating Dorman B (who had defeated Dorman A) to earn that 3rd spot. Further, I am not certain of this but I think they have not yet fielded a team with all of their best players in attendance at the same time. At Yale, James was missing, and at Maryland, I think Nik was missing, and these are two great players. I do not know the composition of their team at Princeton, but overall I think it is fair to say that right now they are probably the one team that might be able to consistently give Hunter a run for its money in this region. But correct me if I am wrong---Hunter's performance yesterday was WITHOUT York? If so, this is scary. Finally, if Bergen consolidates its A team it surely will be very formidable all year long. And my guess is that the other squads you've mentioned will all be dangerous throughout the year. So, it looks like an interesting season is developing in the region.

One last question before signing off----any new ideas on NAQT STATES for New Jersey?
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
Judson Laipply
Rikku

Post by Judson Laipply »

At Yale, Kevin and I were missing, at UMD, Nik and our rotating fourth person were missing, and at princeton we had both of our "fourth people" but not kevin. We will play Hunter for the first time this year at ACF Fall on Halloween, but we probably won't have full strength then either.
James L.
Kellenberg '10
UPenn '14
UChicago '20
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

James,

I thought your team had not yet performed at full strength, and your post confirms this. My A team did not get to see you at either UMD or Princeton (we won't mention how you handled my B team at those events!) , but at Yale our A Team had to endure a brilliant 2nd half performance by Nik---I think he hit 10 of the last 11 TU's, erasing a comfortable 1st half lead for us and allowing K-berg to cruise to a convincing win. And given the stats on Nik's performance, he did this all day at Yale, so this was no fluke---he is an outstanding player. Meanwhile, you need no reminder about your own sterling & comparable stats at UMD, given the greater difficulty of the question set. And with both you & Nik playing you defeated Dorman B for 3rd at Princeton---hence my conclusion that right now your team probably has the best chance to consistently challenge Hunter in this region if you can also get Kevin to play with you & Nik at the same time, while developing a consistent 4th player. I'll bet you can't wait to see how good you can be either when ALL of your best players are present. Of course, there are some very good teams in this area targeting both you and Hunter, and Jon Pinyan has doubtless identified a fair number of the best of these contenders, as I am sure you are aware. But for now, it is my informed judgment that you and Hunter currently are the best in the region, so your respective performances at MIT should prove interesting, assuming both squads can somehow bring all of their best players.

Anyway, thanks for the updated information on your team, thanks for all you did as a host yesterday, and good luck at MIT.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
TheCzarMan
Tidus

Post by TheCzarMan »

Edward Powers wrote: Meawhile, CZARMAN---any update on the DATE that the district set aside for BATE? And, any update on the possibility that you might try to be the TD for NAQT States? And, just for fun, if so, any ideas about a possible date for States? Jon Pinyan had suggested on the NJ Coaches site something like March 20th or 21st---whichever of these 2 dates is the Saturday. Any thoughts on this? Finally---I'm very nosey this evening, don't you think?---have you been in contact with Jon? Or with Coach Zinsmeister, who publicly offered SHP as a site for States?
So late answering this but why not. First off BATE already has a topic in the announcements thread so that's taken care of. As for TDing states. I haven't talked to or emailed anyone since September, and as far as I can tell no one has posted in the Yahoo group. Needless to say I have to speak to everyone and ask around about that. As of now I see no date or location, have yet to check NAQT site but I will get right on that. As you can see from my signature this semester I was busy pledging and joining a fraternity, but now that the process is over I can concentrate on this again.
Nick Petrilli
TheCzarMan
Tidus

Post by TheCzarMan »

Wait, what? I just searched and now see that Princeton got the championship, but the date is February 13th? Are any teams even able to go to that date?
Nick Petrilli
raysaagar
Lulu

Post by raysaagar »

For us, it seems to be a problem, because that appears to be the first day of our Feb. break, and we don't have a coach who can come. And it's the first day of break. If we can get a chaparone, it might be possible, but it's looking pretty grim right now.
Saagar Deshpande
Livingston A
LHS '10
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

With the NJ state championships coming up in a few weeks, I was thinking we might consider seeing if anyone from the state is interested in the HSAPQ All-Star tournament at Vanderbilt on June 12-13. States might be a good time to decide who would be on such a team, if we can get a couple of coaches to meet and discuss.
Jon Pinyan
Coach, Bergen County Academies (NJ); former player for BCA (2000-03) and WUSTL (2003-07)
HSQB forum mod, PACE member
Stat director for: NSC '13-'15, '17; ACF '14, '17, '19; NHBB '13-'15; NASAT '11

"A [...] wizard who controls the weather" - Jerry Vinokurov
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

So does anyone have information regarding the New York NAQT state championship other than it being at White Plains on March 20th with contact Les Roby? Entry fees? Buzzer/Moderator Discounts? Start time? Field? Registration deadline? I'm going to be back from spring break and have a good shot at being able to come to help staff, and Ward Melville will probably be coming, though not at full strength. Their representative should be sending Les an e-mail early next week.
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

It is my understanding that only 3 or 4 teams showed any interest in registering, so it might not take place. But I would check with NAQT or with the host, White Plains, to verify this.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

Yeah, I sent Les an e-mail and he got back to me. It might or might not be back on, but Ward Melville would be sending 1 team (definite), maybe 2 if it's on. These would not be full strength teams, but getting to go to a state championship tournament would be really good for the sophomores and juniors on the teams to inspire them for future years.
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
narwhal
Lulu

Post by narwhal »

jonpin wrote:With the NJ state championships coming up in a few weeks, I was thinking we might consider seeing if anyone from the state is interested in the HSAPQ All-Star tournament at Vanderbilt on June 12-13. States might be a good time to decide who would be on such a team, if we can get a couple of coaches to meet and discuss.
Is anyone in NJ interested in this? We kinda missed the chance to talk about this at states, but NASAT definitely looks like it could be fun.

If there is interest, how do we want to go about selecting a team? Do we want to hold formal tryouts (NASAT tryout set is a $100 flat fee, so it's not necessarily an expensive proposition), or do we want to try to mix and match based on records and scoring for the regular season? No matter which selection method we choose, we should probably start looking into it now.
Amudan J. "Jay" Srinivasan
Bergen '10 (1st Lt. '09-'10)
Duke '14
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Jay,

I will talk to my kids at practice on Tuesday. But if this is to be done, it surely has to be done soon. If there seems to be enough interest my guess is that try-outs would be fairest and that the $100 set you mention might be the best way to go. We have some excellent players across the state; it would be a shame if NJ did not field a team if students were in fact interested. But that seems to be the key, and to be honest, the NJ/NY forum has been pretty lethargic this year, so maybe there is not much interest. Perhaps a good gauge will be the number of Jersey students who respond here over the next several days. If enough seem interested, I would be willing to work with other coaches or other members of the quizbowl community in Jersey---people like Jon Pinyan, who first raised this issue---to help coordinate try-outs.

What is your preference---try-outs or some kind of analysis of performances in actual competitions this year?
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
narwhal
Lulu

Post by narwhal »

Since this thread doesn't really have much activity (as you alluded to), it might also be prudent to send out emails to the different coaches in our area, seeing if they can compile a list of interested students. I know we have a couple who are interested in trying out, and we can probably have a definite list by Thursday.

As for your question on my preference - I don't think I should advocate either, since I'm looking to try and make the team. If I had to provide input, I'd say that both season and tryout performance be used to determine a team, though the weighting of stats should be carefully considered beforehand. It's probably best if coaches such as yourself determine what methods are used to field a team.
Amudan J. "Jay" Srinivasan
Bergen '10 (1st Lt. '09-'10)
Duke '14
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Jay,

It seems it is probably too late----the deadline for the submission of a roster is apparently this Wednesday, March 18th. Do you have the same knowledge of this deadline as well? If it is not to late, you are correct---students wishing to be selected should not be put in the position of selecting the criteria of selection. And try-outs would seem to be the fairest way, while your season's performance could also help if try-out results are simply too close to call. But I too cannot define the criteria----other coaches or adults making the selection would have to agree--but it is my guess that these are good starting points. Conversely, if the March 18 deadline is hard and fast, and you really do want to go, I think you can submit a bid for your Bergen Team to be selected to represent NJ. I would rather that happen than NJ not be represented at all, and I think it is within the spirit of the rules announced---after all, you would just be making a proposal, and the HSAPQ organizers would be making the decision. So, the real issue is: How hard & fast is this deadline of the 18th? I simply do not know, and to be frank, I do not have much free time in the next several days to find out on my own. So, perhaps you can find out? Perhaps someone reading this can help? And I will ask my kids to help as well tomorrow.
Last edited by Edward Powers on Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

Dwight Wynne wrote:We know several states would like to participate but will not be able to form a team in time for the March 18 deadline. If this is the case, one or more people from that state should contact me at [email protected] stating something along the lines of "[State X] is planning to send a team to NASAT. We will submit a bid no later than [Date Y]." The reason for this is that HSAPQ would like to know, by the bid deadline, how many states are planning to participate in the competition.
NASAT thread
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Thanks Jeff.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
Judson Laipply
Rikku

Post by Judson Laipply »

What is the current status of the New York State NAQT Championship?
James L.
Kellenberg '10
UPenn '14
UChicago '20