Gauging interest: TIT/IO Dates

Old college threads.
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Gauging interest: TIT/IO Dates

Post by DumbJaques »

So the discussion in the FIST thread has gotten kind of complex, to the point at which I'm confused about what's going on. Basically, here's where things stand:

If you haven't heard, IO and TIT are going to be the same set this year. I'll be editing the tournament, with Mike Sorice working on science questions. Various Illinois/Maryland people may also be involved in the production of the set, but in keeping with my general editing philosophy, most of the work on this set will be done by one or two people. The tournament will attempt to feel out the Regionals difficulty range, and will likely be just a hair harder than TIT 2009 (which is amusing to me, since this will also be a TIT 2009). Please note that when I say this is what the difficulty will be, I really mean it - this tournament will not be harder than this, but will end up being appropriate for the kind of open field I hope to draw. Really, the point of this tournament will be to demonstrate that those two things are not mutually exclusive.

It was my intention to run IO/TIT on the 14th, perhaps paired with Trash Regionals. I sure wouldn't mind pairing the Maryland site with a FIST mirror instead, though. Actually, if people could let me know what they'd prefer in terms of that (ie, what combination of dates and events would lead to your attendance for the weekend), that would help me finalize the decision. I was certainly hoping to draw a field including Penn, Brown, and the local DC metro folks (Weiner, Magin, or whoever else is around), as well as our strong local circuit.
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
Jeaton1
Wakka

Re: Gauging interest: TIT/IO Dates

Post by Jeaton1 »

To make it even saucier, I plan on running TIDUS (the son of JECHT) along with this event if we go with the November 14th date.
Jeremy Eaton
Maryland Academic Quiz Team
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Awesooooooooooooome.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

I'd also like to remind people that the long-awaited Walden Three will also be available for running at this tournament. I don't want to displace Jeremy's event, but this has been a long time coming and will be ready in time for IO/TIT. It's all tossups, 10 rounds, so I don't think there will be much of an issue in that we can run this thing Saturday night and have Trash/TIDUS the following day.
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
millionwaves
Auron

Post by millionwaves »

Ah, but Illinois is going to run RMPFest II (in addition to Walden 3), as well. We've already committed to running both of those events in addition to IO at the Illinois site; perhaps there's room for TIDUS in there as well. I really hope so; I enjoyed immensely the few rounds of JECHT that I got to play.
Trygve Meade
Illinois, ACF

Above the Star-Apple Kingdom
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

millionwaves wrote:Ah, but Illinois is going to run RMPFest II (in addition to Walden 3), as well. We've already committed to running both of those events in addition to IO at the Illinois site; perhaps there's room for TIDUS in there as well. I really hope so; I enjoyed immensely the few rounds of JECHT that I got to play.
Words cannot express my desire to play TIDUS.
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by DumbJaques »

I am strongly considering a two-day event in which multiple side events comprise a short second day (similar to Sun n Fun weekend except things start/finish on time and everything actually happens).
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
Lapego1
Tidus

Post by Lapego1 »

To address Chris's original post, I'd prefer 11/14 because playing 4 weekends in a row can be tiring. Pairing with TRASH Regionals would likely draw in a larger Penn crowd and avoid the brainmelt of chomping through 4 academic sets in two days, but I could go either way.
Mehdi Razvi
Maggie Walker Gov. School '07
University of Pennsylvania '11

"A goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid."
-James D. Watson (1928-)
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

Post by Maxwell Sniffingwell »

11/14 is great for me, too.
Greg Peterson

Northwestern University '18
Lawrence University '11
Maine South HS '07

"a decent player" - Mike Cheyne
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Hey, we're hosting a high school tournament at VCU on either Saturday Nov 7 or Sunday Nov 8. We may be interested in hosting either FIST or TRASH Regionals (whichever one Maryland isn't doing with Terrapin the following weekend) on whichever date of our weekend the high school tournament isn't (that should make sense, right?) So, keep me updated with your plans.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org