Illinois '09-'10

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Charley Pride
Rikku

Illinois '09-'10

Post by Charley Pride »

Manny Pacquiao wrote:On a side note, when are we starting the "Illinois 09-10" thread?
Now, Lloyd.
Zahed Haseeb

Auburn High School 2010
University of Chicago 2014
Jane Fairfax
Wakka

Re: Illinois '09-'10

Post by Jane Fairfax »

Wonderful, I didn't feel proper starting it. So now that we're here...like, predictions, or other ramblings?
Lloyd Sy
Auburn 2012
Brown 2016
Dan-Don
Yuna

Post by Dan-Don »

I'm posting at the behest of Zahed, who felt bad "about both initiating the thread AND making the first prediction."

So, predictions.

Auburn: Lloyd and Zahed. These two will be the best duo next season because their knowledge is complementary AND vast. Throw in a couple of other players from Auburn's seemingly endless stores of B and C team players, and you've got a squad that should definitely earn a trophy downstate.

Loyola: Everyone seems to have written this team off. But I don't know. Marcel had a fantastic frosh/soph season, and Christian is a very strong player. (I believe Marcel was top 3 at Auburn F/S, and I heard that Christian played on the scab team at NSC and beat Loyola B.)

New Trier: I hate to say this, but I don't think Steve Server can carry this team anywhere close to where it was the last 3 years.

Maine South: Thanks to Andrew's computation prowess, MS should have an easy trip downstate and possibly a trophy to boot. However, Andrew is such a good player that MS should routinely finish at the top of "good" tournaments as well.

Viator: How I wish we still had our seniors from last year, then we would have really been a force. But, I'm still here along with the support of some very strong juniors (Jack Nuelle, Eddie Zahrebelski [who's going to ACE camp in KY], and Kyle Metler) who showed very well at Auburn F/S. We should consistently play tight games with MS, Carbondale, Lisle, and Loyola. Assuming our Regional goes better than last season, any state playoff hopes should be crushed by Stevenson, unless I can persuade my teammates to start studying as I have.

Stevenson: Under the guidance of Zach Blumenfeld, they should have a banner year. I sincerely hope we see them at some non-Illinois format tourneys, since we know they're not averse to them (cf. Loyburn).

Lisle: Greg Dzuricsko and Neal Kfoury are strong players, and I was glad to see them at ACE. They had some decent showings at some very good tourneys last year and they should do just about as good next season.

Carbondale: I highly doubt any Southern team will even flirt with the skill of the Terrible Trio from last year. But, I was very impressed with Jeremiah Monk and Ben Chametsky at ACE camp and I look forward to good things from them. They will definitely go to Peoria, not so sure that they'll bring home any hardware. I hope they continue to come upstate for good tournaments because they should do very well.

And we can't forget about teams like Fremd and BG--not so sure how they'll do next year, but they'll be decent.

I'm predicting a Stevenson/Auburn State Final.
Last edited by Dan-Don on Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dan Donohue, Saint Viator ('10), Northwestern ('14), NAQT
Charley Pride
Rikku

Post by Charley Pride »

Well played, Dannyboy...

Auburn: I'll shift focus away from myself, and point to LloyBid, who together look to be a fearsome humanities tandem next year. Auburn has quite easily the deepest team in the state this year, and you'll see solid Auburn B performances all year. We'll miss Siva and Michael, but they've set the tone for us, and it's out time to prove ourselves.

Loyola: They'll be a dark horse everywhere they go. They lose as much talent as we did, but they're not as publicized as we've been (see: Ace camp). People forget that, in our sophomore year, Christian led a team that had Auburn's number in F/S play. Granted, F/S is F/S, but he's a player who has tons of experience at all levels, and given the rising talent surrounding him, Loyola could make some noise.

New Trier: This is the team likely to drop off the most, but we're looking at a good program, a school that has a wide crop of potential players, and one of the best coaches in the state. We'll see how the cookie crumbles.

Maine South: Even as a rival, I'm willing to call myself a Deveautee (copyright Zahed Haseeb). As the state's best junior (sorry, Mr. Price), he makes Maine South a legitimate title contender. Plus, his team looks willing to improve, considering they made an Ace Camp appearance this year.

Viator: Dan is one of the most enthusiastic and hard-working players in the state, but he won't be able to carry a team all on his own. It seems he got the St. Viator star rising, and it's up to his successors on the team to keep the progress up. Viator will be a top-5, 6 team in the state this year, but given the structure of IHSA playoffs, we probably won't see them in Peoria.

Stevenson: This team will be exciting to watch. Zach Blumenfeld is a truly excellent player, and he's complemented by a great humanities player in Julia Wang. Title contender for sure.

Lisle: Greg and Neal are truly dedicated players, and Lisle is definitely on the rise. Look for Greg to be one of the best fine arts/lit players in the state. They'll win the Class A title.

Carbondale: Provided they're still part of Illinois, the Terriers will bring plenty of new talent to the forefront of Illinois quiz bowl. Jeremiah was among the top juniors in the state last year, and at camp I saw both Quinlan Monk and Ben C-something show a lot of potential as rising sophomores. Carbondale will be very good.

WWS, BG, and Fremd are the question marks of this year.

Auburn, Maine South, Stevenson, Carbondale, in that order.

I only did an espn.com style prediction because of Dan-Don. Can't wait for some quizbowl...
Zahed Haseeb

Auburn High School 2010
Dan-Don
Yuna

Post by Dan-Don »

Aub-ZH wrote:I only did an espn.com style prediction because of Dan-Don. Can't wait for some quizbowl...
Was that not how I was supposed to do the predictions? Anyways, thanks for the praise. I want to also say I believe Lisle will win State (I forgot they're Class A) in a close game with Latin. Also, I hope "Dan-Don" doesn't catch on.
Dan-Don
Yuna

Post by Dan-Don »

Dan-Don wrote: Also, I hope Dan-Don doesn't catch on.
Wow...first Jeff, then I, feel the might of the mods and their name-changing powers.
Jane Fairfax
Wakka

Post by Jane Fairfax »

Ok, so now that we've gotten past the first prediction, I'm gonna go ahead and make an outlook of all the teams, in no particular order, that I think will be major contenders this year in Illinois.

Auburn: As this is my school I think I can analyze it more thoroughly. While we won't be the team of last year, our A team should be a consistent force at tournaments, starting up at the helm with our captain Zahed who should cover up a lot of history for us, and some science. He is just a very good generalist overall. I think I can make Auburn do very well at lit, and our team has three or four good fine arts players. While I think Zahed and I will be constant for the starting lineup this season, I think the rest of it is up for grabs. For IHSA state and any tourney with math, Andrew Hudson, our calculator, should get a spot if he decides to come, and the other spot or two could be held by a wide variety of players. Jordan Hoffman has phenomenal science knowledge but doesn't buzz enough, Maddie and Bid are both great visarts players, and the latter is definitely working on filling up holes in music, philosophy, and social sciences. Alex Cooper showed good knowledge by winning the science tourney at camp, is solid at history, and is working on philosophy. We're a good mythology team as a whole, and we can get religion tossups consistently. Overall, I think we should be one of the top three teams in Illinois and a definite contender for the state crowns.

Maine South: Andrew Deveau is beastly at comp math, giving them a great edge at tourneys that include it. He's also fantastic at physics and is a well-rounded player at all subjects that can carry Maine South to the playoffs of invitationals all by himself. Joe was also a pretty good player from what I saw at camp, and they're another team that I think will be in Peoria come March.

Stevenson: I haven't seen enough of the real Zach B: I've either been seeing him on Frosh/Soph questions or while I'm playing with Siva and Michael. Still, I know that he's probably the top geography player in Illinois and has some very vast knowledge on all the other subjects. Julia Wang strengthens Stevenson's strength as far as it goes with lit and music, and they had a very strong f/s program excluding Zach, which makes Stevenson another legitimate contender. They should definitely be at the state finals, and are one of the favorite to win the title.

Lisle: As far as I know they've lost about nobody, and Greg D has super depth in philosophy and stuff like that, and is also very solid at lit and fine arts. He should pick up many questions for Lisle in all areas, though. Because Lisle is class A, I think that they are favorites to win the state title if their players keep on consistently studying, and they brush up on weaknesses in history and science.

Latin: I know nothing about this team, but I'm guessing that if a team should challenge Lisle it'd be these guys, because they've just been so consistently good over the years.

Viator: This is a team whose f/s team thoroughly impressed me last year at our tournament. Add that to Dan, a good generalist and leader of this crew, and you should find a team that can make playoffs consistently and, if they study enough, be able to pull of some upsets off the top teams in Illinois.

Carbondale: While the combination of last year won't be replicated again this year, Carbondale really surprised me with their commitment and depth at camp. Jeremiah will be their leading scorer and they have three or four sophomores that impressed at camp, most notably Ben C. If they keep on improving throughout the season I think they can definitely make noise at state and their future is even brighter.

Loyola: I saw Christian Kreb play a round at NAQT and he was better than I had anticipated. I like him to lead Loyola into contention at tournaments, along with sophomores like Marcel (a great social studies player) and Nolan.

Other teams: I don't know who's left for BG, and I've honestly never played Fremd, but everyone else seems to be including them. My team to watch, is Oak Park-River Forest, who has a sophomore named Greg, who (Bid is sick of me telling him this) completely destroyed me and Andrew Hudson at the 2008 Barrington Invitational. Yeah, so it was middle school, but I've heard he still has a science and history base in high school. So, as long as they attend good tourneys watch out for them: but as for state, they're in Maine South's sectional. So as a Deveautee (copyright Zahed Haseeb), I'm thinking they won't be in Peoria, at least this year.

Prediction: Class A: Lisle def. Latin
Class AA: Finals will be Auburn/Maine South, third place will be Carbondale/Stevenson. I don't wanna predict winners there.

Edited: first to change "Abid" to "Bid" then secondly to remove information about PJ still playing at Loyola.
Last edited by Jane Fairfax on Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lloyd Sy
Auburn 2012
Brown 2016
Dan-Don
Yuna

Post by Dan-Don »

Jane Fairfax wrote:Latin: I know nothing about this team, but I'm guessing that if a team should challenge Lisle it'd be these guys, because they've just been so consistently good over the years.
Since I see Latin twice a year in League play, I guess I'm the foremost expert on all things Latin. They have a Junior named Robert Volgmann who I first encountered at the Carmel F/S Tourney my sophomore year. He was 1st All-Tourney with around 40 TUS, I was second with around 20. Carmel F/S and our League are not, by any stretch of imagination, good quiz bowl, but still--he's good. And he might rival Andrew at computation. (Anecdote: One time against him we got a bonus on converting non-base 10 numbers that we didn't know how to do. So we called time immediately. He converted all 4 in his head during the time that he had to respond.)
Jane Fairfax wrote: I've honestly never played Fremd, but everyone else seems to be including them.
Their captain is Arjun who is very good generalist (emphasis on Science, though) from what I remember (I played him 2 years ago). He's good enough for Fremd to be a top-10 team, but barely.
Jane Fairfax wrote:My team to watch, is Oak Park-River Forest, who has a sophomore named Greg

I watched him destroy our F/S at Wheaton North F/S because of the ridiculous questions. A couple weeks later, I watched me and our Varsity destroy him at NAQT State. In short: OPRF excellent at mediocre quiz bowl, bad at good quiz bowl. Also, not active enough to become a real power.
abnormal abdomen
Rikku

Post by abnormal abdomen »

Dan-Don wrote:
Jane Fairfax wrote:
Jane Fairfax wrote:My team to watch, is Oak Park-River Forest, who has a sophomore named Greg

I watched him destroy our F/S at Wheaton North F/S because of the ridiculous questions. A couple weeks later, I watched me and our Varsity destroy him at NAQT State. In short: OPRF excellent at mediocre quiz bowl, bad at good quiz bowl. Also, not active enough to become a real power.
Good to hear. I played on Auburn C (I believe) at NAQT state and we faced him. He got like 5-6 tossups, almost all science and comp. Meanwhile, we cleaned up all the humanities, but lost. Either way, yeah, he won't be playing a ton, and I don't think he'll be studying as much as a lot of us will be.

On another note, I'm also a Deveautee (copyright Zahed Haseeb). I wanna see Maine South duke vs. Stevenson. That would be fun.

Otherwise, I simply echo the ideas of Zahed and Lloyd.
Abid Haseeb
Auburn High School '12
Brown University '16
Writer, HSAPQ
Writer, NAQT
Kanga-Rat Murder Society
Wakka

Post by Kanga-Rat Murder Society »

I will try to rank these teams as best as I can:

Tier 1

1. Stevenson- Zach is unbelievable. He is almost unbeatable at Geo (I say almost because of a certain IMSA player) and he was very good at lit. He was extremely solid in all other areas as well. I honestly do not know much about his supporting cast other than their success at the F/S level. That said, they have a solid coach who I am sure will develop this team. If Zach´s supporting cast can be as good this year as it was last year, this team should be the heavy favorite to win state.

2. Maine South- We played these guys five times last year, going 2-3. In two of our three losses, I am positive that Andrew Deveau would have beaten us solo. He had solid knowledge in pretty much every area, with his team having weird niche expertises that seemed to come up. Their biggest weakness last year seemed to be inexperience, with some bad negs costing them. As the year progresses, this will go away and they will be a very good team.

3. Auburn- Zahed has always been good, and it now appears that he will be the second best player on his team. I wish I knew more about how good these guys are, but Siva and Michael have prevented this from happening. Judging by their results at ACE, they will be tough to beat.

Tier 2

4. Loyola- Christian was a solid contributor on this team last year, and they had a solid B team. I also got to read for their F/S team at D&G. Though they had some holes, they seemed very solid in traditional Loyola specialties (Lit and History). The biggest surprise for this team will be that they are surprisingly good at science. Christian was impressive on a Bio bonus when I saw them at HSNCT. With this program´s work ethic, they will be able to beat pretty much everybody in Illinois.

5. Fremd- People seem to be unaware of how good this team is. Arjun is absolutely awesome at math comp, but his specialties go beyond math. He is solid at science and decent at literature. The question marks for this team will be the social sciences. They have a kid (his name escapes me) who made tremendous strides in history to at least offer them some support in this area. If he continues to improve, Fremd will be very, very good. It would not surprise me in the least if they win IHSA state. After all, they lost to Stevenson by 1 point at Sectionals last year.

6. IMSA- Everybody seems to be forgetting this team, and rightfully so. They played very few tournaments last year, and when they did, their numbers were not that impressive. The only reason I am including them is personal experience. We played them at kickoffs last year in what only can be described as a bizarre match. For the first half of the game, their coach had Bonny Jain keeping score in what was apparently an attempt to give Seniors more playing time. We built a huge lead over them in this half. At halftime, Bonny came in. He got five of the remaining eight tossups, including three in the first five words. By the end of the game, we beat them by only a few points. In putting them at #6, I assuming that their coach will now have Bonny play the whole game (because he is a senior). If their coach fails to do this, IMSA will be a nonfactor.

7. Viator- This team accomplished a ton in the few months that they played. They proved to be a dedicated team with a ton of knowledge. They lost a lot of their scoring, but return Dan, who was arguably their best player. If he can inspire the effort in their new starters that he did last year, this team will be a top ten team that will see major improvements over the year.

Tier 3

8. Carbondale- This is a perenially strong programwith a very good history player in Jeremiah. There is no reason to think that they will not be the class of the south once again.

9. Buffalo Grove- We return Greg Ward, who was our best generalist by the end of the year. He has the ability to learn amazingly quickly and retain most of his knowledge. Expect him to be a first team All-State player, who if pushed properly, could be one of the best five players in state. The problem arises in the phrase "if pushed properly". We have an inactive coach and no team leaders. This was a critical reason why none of our players attended ACE. Aside from Greg, Sarah Peluse is very good at biology. If she can learn to pay better attention during games, she will give us a good science base. The rest of our team will probably do very little, with the possible exception of Matt Wilber, a Sophomore who should give Greg some insurance on Lit.

10. Litchfield- This team returns a 2 time first team All-State player, Evan Daigle. He was in rooms 1 and 2 at ACE last year, and led his team to second in Class A. This is my pick to win Class A.

11. Naperville Central

12. Lisle

13. Latin

Other teams to watch will be HF, New Trier, WWS, OPRF, Stevenson B, Lake Zurich, and Barrington

Edited to add Naperville Central
Last edited by Kanga-Rat Murder Society on Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nicholas Bergeon
Buffalo Grove High School '09
UW-Madison '12
WUSTL Law'15
Charley Pride
Rikku

Post by Charley Pride »

Nick wrote:Bonny Jain
He missed plenty of tournaments on his own--I remember he missed Ultima last year, and his teammates had no idea where he was or my he was missing. Neither did the coach. Bonny Jain, in my eyes, will forever remain an enigma.
Zahed Haseeb

Auburn High School 2010
Charley Pride
Rikku

Post by Charley Pride »

Nick wrote:rooms at ACE
Take ACE room placement with a grain of salt, for a couple of reasons. First, it's not a head-to-head thing, so it's hard to stratify players correctly. More importantly, the question quality is poor (ACE admits as much), so good players sometimes get knocked back, and bad players get knocked forward. All I'm saying is, ACE prsctice rooms shouldn't be used to compare or measure players (and I've done it before). ACE intends it to be an educational, not competitive, activity, and that's what it accomplishes.
Zahed Haseeb

Auburn High School 2010
abnormal abdomen
Rikku

Post deleted by author
Abid Haseeb
Auburn High School '12
Brown University '16
Writer, HSAPQ
Writer, NAQT
mlaird
Tidus

Post by mlaird »

For all of you who would see a Class A IHSA State Final of Latin v. Lisle, that cannot happen. They are in the same Sectional.

Lloyd: PJ from Loyola graduated.

There are also some other factors (one large one) that will shake up these rankings a great deal, that I'm not sure I'm at liberty to discuss. I know the involved parties read the boards, and if the individual wanted to out him or herself and their situation, that person could.
Dan-Don
Yuna

Post by Dan-Don »

mlaird wrote:For all of you who would see a Class A IHSA State Final of Latin v. Lisle, that cannot happen. They are in the same Sectional.
Ugh...of course. Is there any chance the IHSA might rethink the boundaries of their Sectionals this year?
mlaird wrote:There are also some other factors (one large one) that will shake up these rankings a great deal, that I'm not sure I'm at liberty to discuss. I know the involved parties read the boards, and if the individual wanted to out him or herself and their situation, that person could.
I know what you're referring to. But, the two teams affected by the "large factor" are in the same Sectional. So...yeah. It's big, but doesn't affect our postulating about other teams.
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

Dan-Don wrote:Ugh...of course. Is there any chance the IHSA might rethink the boundaries of their Sectionals this year?
There is a chance that some shifting will occur, but there is no chance that the basic system will change. There is a 99% chance that Latin and Lisle will be in the same Sectional.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
adeveau
Lulu

Post by adeveau »

Auburn: Zahed and Lloyd are a fearsome duo. Zahed is good in nearly everything and deep in many. Lloyd is one of the better Lit players I've seen. Abid, if he ends up playing A, is beastly on visarts. With help from the endless supply of solid players they seem to enjoy, Auburn should be in the state finals.
And while they probably won't place seventh, they should be able to do something nationally.

Stevenson: Honestly, I haven't seen much of this team. I have seen a bit of Zach, though, and he's very impressive. His knowledge is broad and, in his specialties, quite deep. If he has a decent supporting cast, Stevenson will make a lot of noise.

St. Ignatius: With the probable addition of Andrew Deveau, St. Ignatius should emerge from its Sectional. Other than that, I can't really say, since I have no idea what the rest of my team would look like.

St. Viator: From what I saw at ACE, Dan is already good and will get better. I don't know much about the rest of his team, but I know that they graduated many of their better players. Like Zahed, I tend to expect a top 6 season with a disappointing end, at least in Illinois, courtesy of the IHSA.

Lisle: Greg and Neal are both solid players. Greg is always good, but I've heard that he can be absolutely amazing. They should win Class A.

And this is where my ignorance shows. I would think Loyola, WWS, etc. should be good, but I know absolutely nothing about them.
Andrew Deveau
St. Ignatius

Born on the same day as Austen
Dan-Don
Yuna

Post by Dan-Don »

adeveau wrote:St. Ignatius: With the probable addition of Andrew Deveau, St. Ignatius should emerge from its Sectional. Other than that, I can't really say, since I have no idea what the rest of my team would look like.
Once again, St. Ig. is in my league so I'm probably the only person on these boards to have played them many, many times. (Never on good questions though--the North Metro League uses Bryce Avery. So we'll have fun with that next year, Andrew! [On a side note, I'm trying to have Mrs. O'Laughlin persuade the League into buying the one Illinois-format set that NAQT puts out every year because I think Latin, St. Ig, and Carmel are sick of Bryce too.])

Anyways, St. Ignatius has two guys who really enjoy Scholastic Bowl--Leo and another kid (his name escapes me, but he has a round face and black hair). They're also pretty good. More often than not, these two are the only players that St. Ignatius brings. And they're as old as you. So, you have two years with a decent supporting cast that--from what I remember--is strong in the humanities, so they won't be stealing any of your computation and science thunder. If you can persuade them to study and perhaps go to camp next summer, you should be very successful there. I don't know too much about St. Ignatius' coach, though. He seems like a reasonable guy, but who knows? He might have a problem with making you captain or starting you because you're a transfer.
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

Dan-Don wrote:I don't know too much about St. Ignatius' coach, though. He seems like a reasonable guy, but who knows? He might have a problem with making you captain or starting you because you're a transfer.
Mr. Bellucci is a nice and reasonable guy whose only problem I know of is that he thinks I'm Nick Matchen. No idea about his opinions on good quizbowl, but I get the impression that he's approachable and, if he has the wrong opinions, will be open to being talked to. He might not make Deveau captain, but who really cares? I think he has enough sense to start him, though.

St. Ignatius came to Earlybird this year but I didn't see them anywhere else of note. The last time they went to a lot of tournaments was 2007, when they had a very strong team; I'm told that generally, he goes to lots of tournaments when he has a strong team and doesn't when he doesn't.
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
Jane Fairfax
Wakka

Post by Jane Fairfax »

Yes, one thing I was wondering about is how into good quizbowl St. Ignatius' program is. If you go there, Andrew, I hope you still get to go to good tournaments. And since I don't know anything about them and the players they already have--if you do happen to go there, my predictions change only by changing "Maine South" into "St. Ignatius".
Lloyd Sy
Auburn 2012
Brown 2016
Charley Pride
Rikku

Post by Charley Pride »

Andrew, your teammates will include the inestimable Jake O'Shea...
Zahed Haseeb

Auburn High School 2010
abnormal abdomen
Rikku

Oliver Ellsworth wrote:Andrew, your teammates will include the inestimable Jake O'Shea...
Whoa. This didn't even register to me.
Abid Haseeb
Auburn High School '12
Brown University '16
Writer, HSAPQ
Writer, NAQT
Geringer
Rikku

Post by Geringer »

Okay, let me interject as unbiased an opinion as I can.

Auburn: Zahed is good, and although outside of the NAQT/Fenton Singles I've never really seen Lloyd get many questions, I assume that he's just as dynamite. I also know there are some younger players, like Abid, who can hold their own as well. Auburn will be top three team.

Stevenson: Zach is good, and Stevenson usually has a good comp math player or two. I would put much more stake in this team in IHSA-format than in others. However, I don't think Zach can carry his team above more seasoned and well-rounded teams like Auburn. Top ten. But remember, kiddies, their sectional is Viator/Fremd/BG/Stevenson and will be a death group, in my opinion.

Andrew Deveau: A free agent, it seems. Although I can't say I'm a Deveautee like Zahed, I am well aware this kid is very good and will lead either Maine South or St. Iggy to a top ten ranking. From what I remember of St. Ignatius, there's not a great supporting cast there, so Andrew will put up ungodly numbers against a relatively weak league. Top ten.

St. Viator: Dan is good, I can attest to that. However, Viator loses three players who accounted for 3/4ths of total productions. Sean, the history guru, can't be replaced. Graduating Alex and myself, the team also loses the majority of our math and science. Some juniors could step up though. If the most fearsome computational math player I have ever witnessed, Joe Park, manages to play with varsity, this squad could make a IHSA run through a sectional maybe.

Lisle: Greg impressed me when I played him. Considerably. If this team is a small school (class A), I will predict an IHSA-A championship. I'm pretty sure that he'll be able to lead his team through a lot of NAQT sets as well. Top ten.

Loyola/New Trier: Both teams lose their majority of their production (Jack/Joe and Ben) and I can't remember any really dominant juniors. However, as pointed out to me by my elders, good teams reload. Both programs have great coaches who will figure out a way to win. Neither team will be ultra-impressive or top ten nationally, but both will hold their own within Illinois. Top ten, for both.

Fremd: This team doesn't really travel, but they've got a few good returning players, including Arjun. If this team continues their past trend, they wont compete in NAQT and the like, but they'll be deadly in the IHSA format. I can't really rank this team though, only because of how limited their schedule is.

Carbondale: Good teams reload. They probably wont make an IHSA repeat, but I have faith in Jeremiah.

Wheaton North- They were a decent team, losing only one player from their top five. Rising from the ashes of the indomitable Greg, they weren't too impressive last year, but I expect this team to surprise a lot of people this year. Top ten, certainly.

WWS- Assuming, again, that this team travels to the top tournaments this year, I would expect them to make some ripples. They won't compete with the big boys, but they'll hang around.

BG- Losing a lot of top players with, from what I've been told, a weak support structure, this team may fade into obscurity. I loved last year's team, but I don't know if we'll see an MSL repeat or a national berth.

Springfield- I know absolutely nothing about this team other than that they did decent, like 4-6, at NAQT. If they keep some of those players, I wouldn't be surprised to see this team come out of southern Illinois.
R. Jeffrey Geringer
Saint Viator '09
Illinois '13, '14
Siverus Snape
Rikku

Post by Siverus Snape »

So Jeff, you're predicting one team in the top 3 and seven teams in the top 10? Interesting.

I'll have to refrain from making an attempt at rankings because it would be way too speculative. I haven't really seen any of these teams or players play against each other, especially recently. I guess I've played against a lot of them, but all the teams that had enough firepower to make it visible in competition against us have graduated that firepower.

If I have any advice to you up-and-coming players, it's to aim not for being competitive in Illinois but for being competitive nationally. We're going to need something of an arms race to catch up to the rest of the country, and the only way to do that is to aim high and learn hard stuff as soon as possible.
Siva Sundaram, Rockford Auburn High School '09
Geringer
Rikku

Post by Geringer »

Siverus Snape wrote:So Jeff, you're predicting one team in the top 3 and seven teams in the top 10? Interesting.
Well...I don't think there is a clear favorite this year at all, or even a very well-defined top three or five like there was last year.
R. Jeffrey Geringer
Saint Viator '09
Illinois '13, '14
JackGlerum
Tidus

Post by JackGlerum »

Siverus Snape wrote:If I have any advice to you up-and-coming players, it's to aim not for being competitive in Illinois but for being competitive nationally. We're going to need something of an arms race to catch up to the rest of the country, and the only way to do that is to aim high and learn hard stuff as soon as possible.
On this very good post:

1.) Nearly every coach treats IHSA as the be-all-end-all. Try not to follow suit--qualify for, raise money for, and attend HSNCT and NSC.

2.) Go to good tournaments! There will be lots of NAQT and HSAPQ as well as a few solid house-writes (Earlybird and HFT come to mind... cross your fingers for NTV).

Furthermore, college tournaments are super fun because the questions are great and there aren't coaches telling you to wait until you are recognized, etc. Events in October:
Early Fall Tournament (3rd) -- I don't think bids haven't been confirmed yet, but UIUC hosted last year. Your coach going to "SchoBowlFest" is a terrible, terrible excuse to miss this. Find a way to go, the questions are great.
THUNDER (24th) -- a new tournament, harder than EFT. More like ACF Winter/Regs. A good cadre of writers--should be excellent. Should be a mirror in the area.
ACF Fall (31st) -- Is UChicago hosting this? If so, this is another great opportunity to play entry level college questions, and it's in your backyard. You can trick-or-treat afterwards, if that's how you roll.

There are lots of other events on the college circuit, many of which are hosted by UIUC or Chicago (also, Northwestern and Notre Dame hosted one a piece last year, iirc). Playing at college tournaments are great ways to accomplish what Siva spoke about--aiming for a high finish at nationals.

Good luck!
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

You can trick-or-treat afterwards, if that's how you roll.
All the way to the Garfield stop.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

JackGlerum wrote:Early Fall Tournament (3rd) -- I don't think bids haven't been confirmed yet, but UIUC hosted last year. Your coach going to "SchoBowlFest" is a terrible, terrible excuse to miss this. Find a way to go, the questions are great.
THUNDER (24th) -- a new tournament, harder than EFT. More like ACF Winter/Regs. A good cadre of writers--should be excellent. Should be a mirror in the area.
ACF Fall (31st) -- Is UChicago hosting this? If so, this is another great opportunity to play entry level college questions, and it's in your backyard. You can trick-or-treat afterwards, if that's how you roll.
It hasn't been announced, but we will be hosting EFT and THUNDER, as well as Illinois Open. If you want to get better, come down (or up) here and play on good questions. If you can't get your team to come, then come as a free agent. I'd like to see a second "South Detroit University," or something similar.
Charley Pride
Rikku

Post by Charley Pride »

dtaylor4 wrote:South Detroit University
Shhhhhh...
Zahed Haseeb

Auburn High School 2010
Geringer
Rikku

Post by Geringer »

JackGlerum wrote: THUNDER (24th) -- a new tournament, harder than EFT. More like ACF Winter/Regs. A good cadre of writers--should be excellent. Should be a mirror in the area.
This is the same day as Loyola Ultima, if I'm not mistaken, and my beloved Trashtastrophe.
R. Jeffrey Geringer
Saint Viator '09
Illinois '13, '14
Jane Fairfax
Wakka

Post by Jane Fairfax »

On the note of Ultima...what's the format going to be this year, and where will the questions come from? I have never played in Ultima so I have little knowledge to the tournament itself.
Lloyd Sy
Auburn 2012
Brown 2016
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

This year's Ultima will be a mirror of a tournament written by Sand Huang and co. of Dunbar HS in Lexington, KY.
David Riley
Coach Emeritus, Loyola Academy, Wilmette, Illinois, 1993-2010
Steering Committee, IHSSBCA, 1996 -
Member, PACE, 2012 -

"This is 1183, of course we're barbarians" -- Eleanor of Aquitaine in "The Lion in Winter"
Jane Fairfax
Wakka

Post by Jane Fairfax »

David Riley wrote:This year's Ultima will be a mirror of a tournament written by Sand Huang and co. of Dunbar HS in Lexington, KY.
This is good. The tournament description looks promising and Sandi is a good quizbowler who I don't think will disappoint.
Lloyd Sy
Auburn 2012
Brown 2016
Bonito
Lulu

Post by Bonito »

IHSA State AA
1Deveau&co
2Auburn
3Fremd/Stevenson
4Loyola

A: Latin def Litchfield, Lisle loses by 20 points in QQ sectional

Masonic
Stevenson maybe?

General "NAQT and up"
1Auburn: This entire A team is going to go crazy studying. I don't think I've seen them on lower-level questions, but Zahed/Lloy et al. is going to plow through especially the later tournaments
2Deveau&co: Not much I can add

3-4Loyola: Marcel(?) had some game in Loyburn(?) where he powered 5(?) tossups and then chilled the rest of the game. Christian held Loyola B together too, IIRC. I don't know much, but I think they'll pull something.
3-4Stevenson

5Carbondale

6-9St. Viator
6-9Naperville Central
6-9Buffalo Grove
6-9Lisle

10-11New Trier
10-11Wheaton North

P.S.
Dear Dan Donahue,
props for spelling last names. I'm rooting for Viator to pull some crazy upset.

Edit: Fair enough.
Last edited by Bonito on Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Greg Dzuricsko; Lisle 2011
Charley Pride
Rikku

Post by Charley Pride »

Bonito wrote:Zahed/Lloyd/Alex/[A]bid
Auburn A isn't quite set yet, so I wouldn't make any assumptions. There are at least 3 other people fighting for spots.

And for all practical purposes, use "Lloy" and "Bid".
Zahed Haseeb

Auburn High School 2010
AlphaQuizBowler
Tidus

Post by AlphaQuizBowler »

My observations as a non-Illinoisan at ACE camp:

Auburn- They'll have a great team next year. Zahed and Lloyd were consistently in the finals of the upper-level tournament. Lloy shows great lit knowledge, winning the Lit subject finals, and Alex and Zahed went 1-2 in Science. Bid is improving, too, making finals of the Lit tournament, captaining a middle-level tournament champion, and having great vis arts knowledge. From what I saw at ACE, they'll be the team to beat.

Andrew Deveau- I'm still mad at him for knocking me out of the top spot in the last day of practices (Remember, it's about learning ;) ). In the tournament matches we played, he showed good general knowledge, playing a game against my team that got a little too close for comfort. His computational skills are sick, making him great at IHSA, but don't forget about his skill at theoretical math and other sciences.

Carbondale- Jeremiah seems like a good player, but I didn't see much of him. His brother's good for his age, too.

Viator- Dan's a good player, but I'm not sure he can carry his team to the top this year, especially against some of these other Illinois teams. If he studies hard, though, he could pull off some upsets.

Anyway, that's my two cents. I had a great time with you guys at camp, and I hope to see you at nationals next year.

Trashtashionals pick: Lloybid.
William
Alpharetta High School '11
Harvard '15
Charley Pride
Rikku

Post by Charley Pride »

Trashtashionals
It's TRASHTASTROPHE...Dan will beat you up. And I won't be so sure about your pick.

And it's us who hope to see you at nationals, Mr. Alpharetta.
Zahed Haseeb

Auburn High School 2010
abnormal abdomen
Rikku

AlphaQuizBowler wrote:My observations as a non-Illinoisan at ACE camp:

Auburn- They'll have a great team next year. Zahed and Lloyd were consistently in the finals of the upper-level tournament. Lloy shows great lit knowledge, winning the Lit subject finals, and Alex and Zahed went 1-2 in Science. Bid is improving, too, making finals of the Lit tournament, captaining a middle-level tournament champion, and having great vis arts knowledge. From what I saw at ACE, they'll be the team to beat.

Andrew Deveau- I'm still mad at him for knocking me out of the top spot in the last day of practices (Remember, it's about learning ;) ). In the tournament matches we played, he showed good general knowledge, playing a game against my team that got a little too close for comfort. His computational skills are sick, making him great at IHSA, but don't forget about his skill at theoretical math and other sciences.

Carbondale- Jeremiah seems like a good player, but I didn't see much of him. His brother's good for his age, too.

Viator- Dan's a good player, but I'm not sure he can carry his team to the top this year, especially against some of these other Illinois teams. If he studies hard, though, he could pull off some upsets.

Anyway, that's my two cents. I had a great time with you guys at camp, and I hope to see you at nationals next year.

Trashtashionals pick: Lloybid.
Bid likes this. I still don't even know if that's a doubles thing yet.
Abid Haseeb
Auburn High School '12
Brown University '16
Writer, HSAPQ
Writer, NAQT
AlphaQuizBowler
Tidus

Post by AlphaQuizBowler »

Oliver Ellsworth wrote:
Trashtashionals
It's TRASHTASTROPHE...Dan will beat you up. And I won't be so sure about your pick.

Whoops. Perhaps it's a Freudian slip showing my subconscious desire for a high-school-level national trash tournament?

NOTE: This is not something I actually want.
William
Alpharetta High School '11
Harvard '15
Dan-Don
Yuna

Post by Dan-Don »

AlphaQuizBowler wrote:Whoops. Perhaps it's a Freudian slip showing my subconscious desire for a high-school-level national trash tournament?
How did you find out about my plans for the 2010-2011 season?!

Edit: to include this:
Gabriel Luis Neruda wrote:Bid likes this. I still don't even know if that's a doubles thing yet.
I don't either. It'll depend on how many people we get. But, I'm in favor of it, and Mr. Riley suggested it. So, I should talk to Jeff.
Jane Fairfax
Wakka

Post by Jane Fairfax »

Dan-Don wrote: I don't either. It'll depend on how many people we get. But, I'm in favor of it, and Mr. Riley suggested it. So, I should talk to Jeff.
I would suppose that the players that sign up for Trashtastrophe probably would be from teams that are in Ultima. That said, how many teams are going to Ultima, and how much interest is there currently in Trashtastrophe?
Lloyd Sy
Auburn 2012
Brown 2016
Geringer
Rikku

Post by Geringer »

AlphaQuizBowler wrote:
Oliver Ellsworth wrote:
Trashtashionals

Whoops. Perhaps it's a Freudian slip showing my subconscious desire for a high-school-level national trash tournament?

NOTE: This is not something I actually want.
Let's correct some things. First, I, Jeff, am in charge of physical violence, not Dan.

William, if Lloybid or any of the two individually wins at Trashtastrophe, I will give you a free mirror in the 2010-2011 season and a signed picture of myself. Also, would you be interested in mirroring this year's tournament? I promise good questions, better prices, and a pencil sketch of me giving you a thumbs up.

National Trash Tournament, you say? I think NTT sounds more legit. I'll keep it in mind.
Jane Fairfax wrote: I would suppose that the players that sign up for Trashtastrophe probably would be from teams that are in Ultima. That said, how many teams are going to Ultima, and how much interest is there currently in Trashtastrophe?
Quite frankly, even if you don't send a B team to this tournament, I personally would move to include any players from the respective A, B, C, and Unspeakable teams to compete. This tournament is first and foremost a fundraiser for Viator. Viator needs money. The more the merrier.

Question of the now: How high would you guys rank your own team if you weren't afraid of what others will say if you rank your team high?
R. Jeffrey Geringer
Saint Viator '09
Illinois '13, '14
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

high school doesn't even need to think about a trash national
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Whiter Hydra
Auron

Post by Whiter Hydra »

Dwellers in the Crucible wrote:high school doesn't even need to think about a trash national
hi i'm harry white an upstanding citizen who never empty-quotes outside of ahan
Harry White
TJHSST '09, Virginia Tech '13

Owner of Tournament Database Search and Quizbowl Schedule Generator
Will run stats for food
the return of AHAN
Auron

Post by the return of AHAN »

Jane Fairfax wrote:My team to watch, is Oak Park-River Forest, who has a sophomore named Greg, who (Bid is sick of me telling him this) completely destroyed me and Andrew Hudson at the 2008 Barrington Invitational....
Final score of that match:
River Forest Roosevelt 225, Rockford West 180

I wouldn't call that complete destruction by any stretch, unless Roosevelt had 225 after 10 TU/Bonus.
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach (2021 & 2023 HSNCT Champions, 2023 PACE Champions, 2023 Illinois Masonic Bowl Class 3A State Champions)
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
the return of AHAN
Auron

Post by the return of AHAN »

Dan-Don wrote:
Since I see Latin twice a year in League play, I guess I'm the foremost expert on all things Latin. They have a Junior named Robert Volgmann who I first encountered at the Carmel F/S Tourney my sophomore year. He was 1st All-Tourney with around 40 TUS, I was second with around 20. Carmel F/S and our League are not, by any stretch of imagination, good quiz bowl, but still--he's good. And he might rival Andrew at computation. (Anecdote: One time against him we got a bonus on converting non-base 10 numbers that we didn't know how to do. So we called time immediately. He converted all 4 in his head during the time that he had to respond.)
Ah, you bring back bitter memories of that Carmel F/S championship match. After rousing, convincing victories over Zach-less Stevenson and Fremd (despite Arjun in the captain's chair), we fell to Latin and, while they were an excellent team, I couldn't help but wonder how it would've shaken out if there weren't 4 computation TU in that 16 TU match. Robert was the man, for sure. They also dispatched us in the quarters at the Fremd frosh/soph 6 weeks earlier, and again, we had no answer for Robert's computation superiority.
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach (2021 & 2023 HSNCT Champions, 2023 PACE Champions, 2023 Illinois Masonic Bowl Class 3A State Champions)
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Charley Pride
Rikku

Post by Charley Pride »

Lloy wrote:I have a very limited vocabulary, am overrated at trash, and am not too good in science, but it's okay, because I WTTDWAU.
And all of that is true. I wish you knew what words meant, but you did GTTDWAU.
Zahed Haseeb

Auburn High School 2010
Jane Fairfax
Wakka

Post by Jane Fairfax »

So, here's something I want to know. I remember hearing something back about different point qualities at Kickoff--that each tossup is going to be worth 15 points. Is that going through, and are there any other changes to other significant tournaments?
Lloyd Sy
Auburn 2012
Brown 2016
BGSO
Tidus

Post by BGSO »

Not that I know of. The 15 points thing was a concession made to coaches who think that bonuses have to be exactly double the value of toss-ups.
David Garb-
Buffalo Grove High School '09
UIUC-'13

Former member of the most dysfunctional scholastic bowl team in Illinois.
(11:23:30 PM) garb: Wait, are you talking about the porn or the reeses?
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

The point values at Kickoffs will be discussed at the Steering Committee Meeting in August. My guess is that we will go with the standard NAQT system except for not subtracting points for negs. We also hope to decide what we are doing with the HSAPQ National Tournament in August.

The only other changes I can think of are that the IHSA distribution is more fixed, Ultima will have a mACF rather than PAC format, Loyburn will have a mACF rather than old PACE format, New Trier Varsity will not have computational math, Scobol Solo will not have Pop Culture, and Turnabouts will be written by teams. I forget whether Decemberist is making any changes and Davey & Goliath is switching bonus formats.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)