HSAPQ: Fall Tournaments Sets Available

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Re: HSAPQ: Fall Tournaments Sets Available

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

Moreover, is NSC-2 going to be available on the webpage?
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF
master15625
Rikku

Post by master15625 »

It probably will be, but we do not know when they will post it. But the last time it was used is I believe May 16th, 2009
Neil Gurram
'10 DCDS
'15 MIT
'16 MIT
The Toad to Wigan Pier
Tidus

Post by The Toad to Wigan Pier »

NSC2 now online
William Butler
UVA '11
Georgia Tech 13
The King's Flight to the Scots
Auron

Post by The King's Flight to the Scots »

15. Rossetti depicted this man executing a portrait of a friend in his [this man] Painting the Portrait of
Dante Alighieri. This student of Cimabue surpassed his teacher in depicting facial expression and realistic
draperies, such as in his late work The Mourning of St. Francis. The Uffizi currently holds a work by this
man in which a black-robed Mary holds a red-clad Christ, the Ognissanti Madonna. This artist is best
known for a fresco cycle including The Marriage at Cana and The Kiss of Judas. For 10 points, name this
early Italian Renaissance painter who did a fresco cycle for Padua’s Arena Chapel.

Ans: Giotto
Does "student of Cimabue" come too early here? I thought that was commonly known, but then again, that's pretty much all I know about Giotto.

EDIT: Aaaaaaaaaand I suck at HTML.
Last edited by The King's Flight to the Scots on Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt Bollinger
UVA '14, UVA '15
at your pleasure
Auron

Post by at your pleasure »

It probably does, and the rest of that clue is none too spectacular either. "More realistic emotions/draperies" could really apply to loads of 13th and 14th century Italian painters. If you wanted a non-works clue, something about how his Last Judgement is influenced by Pietro Cavallini's would be better. In general, and I've said this before, questions about art prior to 1450 or so have to be really careful about their clues since so many of the paintings are so similar.
Douglas Graebner, Walt Whitman HS 10, Uchicago 14
"... imagination acts upon man as really as does gravitation, and may kill him as certainly as a dose of prussic acid."-Sir James Frazer,The Golden Bough

http://avorticistking.wordpress.com/
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

I think a vast majority of high school quizbowl players have never heard of Cimabue in their life.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
at your pleasure
Auron

Post by at your pleasure »

He's still probably more famous than the Death of St. Francis.
Douglas Graebner, Walt Whitman HS 10, Uchicago 14
"... imagination acts upon man as really as does gravitation, and may kill him as certainly as a dose of prussic acid."-Sir James Frazer,The Golden Bough

http://avorticistking.wordpress.com/
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

Jeremy Gibbs Free Energy wrote:I think a vast majority of high school quizbowl players have never heard of Cimabue in their life.
I got bored one day last year and started flipping through my brother's AP Art History review book. That Giotto was the student of Cimabue was about the only thing I still remember from my skimming of pages. That said, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that being a middle clue. I'd say it's maybe a line too early, and that's just because of the whole "it's in the review book, therefore people might know it" thing.
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org
UC Irvine 2008-2013; UCLA 2004-2007; Capistrano Valley High School 2000-2003

"It's a competition, but it's not a sport. On a scale, if football is a 10, then rowing would be a two. One would be Quiz Bowl." --Matt Birk on rowing, SI On Campus, 10/21/03

"If you were my teammate, I would have tossed your ass out the door so fast you'd be emitting Cerenkov radiation, but I'm not classy like Dwight." --Jerry
Auron

I only know it from a passage in the Purgatorio that references them.
Matt Bollinger
UVA '14, UVA '15
Captain Sinico
Auron

Post by Captain Sinico »

ColJade wrote:Does "student of Cimabue" come too early here?
I think it does. I'd put that as a second-to-last or last clue.

MaS
Mike Sorice
Former Coach, Centennial High School of Champaign, IL (2014-2020) & Team Illinois (2016-2018)
Alumnus, Illinois ABT (2000-2002; 2003-2009) & Fenwick Scholastic Bowl (1999-2000)
Member, ACF (Emeritus), IHSSBCA, & PACE
Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo »

I don't really know how often people look at each packet in its entirety (compared to a whole set), but i really want to see if i'm off base here.

I got one person to agree with me so far but i'd like more so i don't seem, i dunno, off base or something.

http://hsapq.com/nsc108/Round_10_HSAPQ_NSC1.pdf

To me, this packet is just ridiculously hard. Read the last eight tossups... pulsars, rebellions of Ireland, D.H. Lawrence, Visigoths, Madame Bovary, J.M.W. Turner, potassium ion channels, Dionysus... now i know we're all professionals here (or whatever) and these all seem easy to us but they are clearly not to the average or below-average high school team. I could imagine reading these to plenty of teams in Delaware and (please read the questions, they are harder than the answers indicate) seriously getting possibly one or none of these final tossups right. That's not supposed to happen.

While we complain a lot about NAQT's wacky distribution, i just want to register one of my few complaints about HSAPQ: varying difficulty of packets. Some are very easy (see Round 1 for example) and then some are really just too hard. I hope these sorts of things can be fixed a little by possibly more play-testing or heavier editing/checking.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org
ihavenoidea
Rikku

Post by ihavenoidea »

Seriously? I mean Madame Bovary, Dionysus, and to a degree D.H. Lawrence seem like perfectly good tossup ideas to me.
Zhao Zhang
Rancho Bernardo High School '09
Auron

I'm not saying that they're hard singularly, but all-encompassingly they are... believe me i read to a lot of mediocre teams this year who might honestly know none of those at all. All those questions, on the surface, are fine... but in a row like that, it's brutal. Again, read Round 1 and compare. It's a different world.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

I don't think either of the history tossups in that sequence (Ireland and Visigoths) is at all hard.

Compare the middle-and-end of that Visigoths tossup:

"Ultimately defeated by Muslim forces, Septimania was their last Gallic stronghold, and their chieftain Wallia died after their settlement of Aquitaine. Ataulphus led them into Spain, and Euric codified their laws. For 10 points name this Germanic group led by men such as Alaric and Theodoric I that separated from the Ostrogoths in the 4th century."

with this tossup that I wrote for NAQT IS #82A:

"This people's kings included Reccared, who converted them to Catholicism. Although they ruled Spain for almost three centuries, they first entered the (*) Roman Empire over the Danube. For 10 points--name this barbarian group who sacked Rome in 410, the former neighbors of the Ostrogoths."
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Kouign Amann
Forums Staff: Moderator

Post by Kouign Amann »

I mean, it basically gives you "name these Goths who aren't the Ostrogoths." It doesn't get any easier than that.
Aidan Mehigan
St. Anselm's Abbey School '12
Columbia University '16 | University of Oxford '17 | UPenn GSE '19
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

Caesar Rodney HS wrote:pulsars, rebellions of Ireland, D.H. Lawrence, Visigoths, Madame Bovary, J.M.W. Turner, potassium ion channels, Dionysus
Offhand, I see at most three that might go dead in a room with two average teams: Ireland, Turner, and the ion channels.

Any half-decent lit player should convert Lawrence and Bovary. Except for Hestia (which should be rarely tossed up due to the dearth of extant information compared to other deities/figures), any major Olympian is askable.

Those who study ancient Rome will encounter the Visigoths, and I'd guess the Irish rebellions tossup had a decent giveaway.
Auron

dtaylor4 wrote:
Caesar Rodney HS wrote:pulsars, rebellions of Ireland, D.H. Lawrence, Visigoths, Madame Bovary, J.M.W. Turner, potassium ion channels, Dionysus
Offhand, I see at most three that might go dead in a room with two average teams: Ireland, Turner, and the ion channels.

Any half-decent lit player should convert Lawrence and Bovary. Except for Hestia (which should be rarely tossed up due to the dearth of extant information compared to other deities/figures), any major Olympian is askable.

Those who study ancient Rome will encounter the Visigoths, and I'd guess the Irish rebellions tossup had a decent giveaway.
I have to side with Mr. Chrzanowski on this one. You're right that most decent teams would be able to get most of those by the giveaway. However, I would say that people know less about the Visigoths than, say, Martin Luther or the Moon; I would also posit that people would get most of the questions in packet 10 later than in packet 1. Although none of the questions in packet 10 are exceedingly difficult, they are noticeably more difficult than the questions in packet 1.

Nevertheless, HSAPQ's questions remain far better than NAQT's.
Matt Bollinger
UVA '14, UVA '15

True fact: when I read that tossup on the moon, it went dead in the game.
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

ColJade wrote:I have to side with Mr. Chrzanowski on this one. You're right that most decent teams would be able to get most of those by the giveaway. However, I would say that people know less about the Visigoths than, say, Martin Luther or the Moon; I would also posit that people would get most of the questions in packet 10 later than in packet 1. Although none of the questions in packet 10 are exceedingly difficult, they are noticeably more difficult than the questions in packet 1.

Jeremy Gibbs Free Energy wrote:True fact: when I read that tossup on the moon, it went dead in the game.
This is an example of where your line of reasoning fails, and I meant to include this in my previous post: the answers in and of themselves do not dictate difficulty. They certainly affect conversion rates, but the clues themselves have a greater impact on conversion.

Another example (these come to mind since there are a number of them): common link myth tossups on "sun," "moon," "creation myths," etc. Such tossups can be written such that they are converted in a large number of rooms, but depending on what level they're written for, may include Elamite or Native American mythologies.
Auron

dtaylor4 wrote:
ColJade wrote:I have to side with Mr. Chrzanowski on this one. You're right that most decent teams would be able to get most of those by the giveaway. However, I would say that people know less about the Visigoths than, say, Martin Luther or the Moon; I would also posit that people would get most of the questions in packet 10 later than in packet 1. Although none of the questions in packet 10 are exceedingly difficult, they are noticeably more difficult than the questions in packet 1.

Jeremy Gibbs Free Energy wrote:True fact: when I read that tossup on the moon, it went dead in the game.
This is an example of where your line of reasoning fails, and I meant to include this in my previous post: the answers in and of themselves do not dictate difficulty. They certainly affect conversion rates, but the clues themselves have a greater impact on conversion.

Another example (these come to mind since there are a number of them): common link myth tossups on "sun," "moon," "creation myths," etc. Such tossups can be written such that they are converted in a large number of rooms, but depending on what level they're written for, may include Elamite or Native American mythologies.
Still, if you look at the actual tossups, the packet 1 questions are still far easier than the packet 10 questions. The giveaway for "moon" was "body that orbits the earth", so I'm assuming Charlie wasn't exactly reading for State College and Charter, or that the Freshman Fallacy kicked in.

It's kind of difficult to debate this over this forum, since that would involve posting direct comparisons of a number of tossups, but I've noticed this trend in other HSAPQ sets (namely, acf4) as well. Again, the quality of the questions they produce is still admirable for their first year as an organization.
Matt Bollinger
UVA '14, UVA '15
master15625
Rikku

Post by master15625 »

ColJade wrote: It's kind of difficult to debate this over this forum, since that would involve posting direct comparisons of a number of tossups, but I've noticed this trend in other HSAPQ sets (namely, acf4) as well. Again, the quality of the questions they produce is still admirable for their first year as an organization.
I do agree that the quality is good, but there are some things outside of question writing that they should improve upon, particularly in their communications.

ACF 4-I agree with that statement. Packet 1 was like completely easier compared to some of the double digit packets. That may be a good thing, because an increase in difficulty is needed to distinguish teams as a tournament moves along.
Neil Gurram
'10 DCDS
'15 MIT
'16 MIT
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Post by Mechanical Beasts »

Can you provide specifics for ACF-4?
Andrew Watkins
wd4gdz
Tidus

Post by wd4gdz »

master15625 wrote: an increase in difficulty is needed to distinguish teams as a tournament moves along.
This is exactly what I believe, although there's definitely not a consensus about it. Actually, I think most people disagree with this, unfortunately.
Billy Beyer, formerly of FSU

That however is unfeasible for a company like NAQT or HSAPQ because of the wildly different playoff formats used by different tournaments. I think everyone can agree that keeping the prelim matches fairly constant is a good thing - it just is impossible for a company to dictate to hosts what packets should be used when, and how. If you make the first 5 packets easy and then make the next 5 harder, then what do you do with 7 round prelim formats? Similarly, unless you use a single elimination format, it makes no sense to run a round robin and have some games be arbitrarily harder than others but count the same assuming you incrementally increase each packet's difficulty. Because of the unknowable nature to all of this, even if everyone did agree that increasing difficulty is a good thing (which I'll be honest, I don't because I feel that every game in a tournament should logically tie to the others through consistency), it is undeniable that it would be impossible to pull of in a way that benefits all customers.

master15625
Rikku

Post by master15625 »

everyday847 wrote:Can you provide specifics for ACF-4?
I guess I consider it somewhat easier is that lots of famous clues come somewhat earlier on in the questions than I feel they should. I should revise the statement completely easier to just somewhat easier, as I realize that the questions in Packet 1 are not completely easier than the double digit.

I will give some examples of what I felt as somewhat easier/earlier.
From Packet 1,

Question 1. In one play by this author, Serafina delle Rose ends a three-year mourning period when she meets a
truck driver, and in another of his plays a disgraced minister becomes a tour guide in Mexico. In addition
to The Rose Tattoo...

Question 2. Works for solo piano by this composer include Visions fugitives and Suggestion diabolique. He
included the movement “The Evil God and the Dance of the Pagan Monsters” in his Scythian Suite...

Question 15. After rebounding an Allen Iverson shot, this player scored the winning basket in the 2006 NBA All-
Star Game. Before Cole Aldrich, this player was the last to have a triple-double in the NCAA tournament,
doing so in 2003 for Marquette...

Question 17. An early prime minister of this region was Gerrit P. Judd, and its monarchy was forced to accept the
1887 Bayonet Constitution. John L. Stevens was its first American leader, and this region was annexed as
a US territory under Sanford Dole...

Question 20. He expanded his nation's Muslim population in his conquests of Astrakhan and Kazan, two Tatar
states. He founded the Oprichniki...

Wherever the ellipsis come, I feel that those clues are where teams should be able to buzz in, as this information has come up a lot in previous tournaments and are somewhat famous clues that teams know from previous tournaments.

If I am underestimating the difficulty, I am sorry, I just feel that this is true.
Neil Gurram
'10 DCDS
'15 MIT
'16 MIT
Not That Kind of Christian!!
Yuna

Post by Not That Kind of Christian!! »

master15625 wrote:
everyday847 wrote:Can you provide specifics for ACF-4?
I guess I consider it somewhat easier is that lots of famous clues come somewhat earlier on in the questions than I feel they should. I should revise the statement completely easier to just somewhat easier, as I realize that the questions in Packet 1 are not completely easier than the double digit.

[examples]

Wherever the ellipsis come, I feel that those clues are where teams should be able to buzz in, as this information has come up a lot in previous tournaments and are somewhat famous clues that teams know from previous tournaments.

If I am underestimating the difficulty, I am sorry, I just feel that this is true.
I think some of these are accurate (Oprichinki, for instance), but you're also underestimating the difficulty for the large majority of teams, if not yourself. There are certainly players for whom a clue like Scythian Suite is too early, but for the average player and for an easy set like ACF-4, Scythian is a good early-middle clue for Prokofiev.
Hannah Kirsch
Brandeis University 2010
NYU School of Medicine 2014

"Wow, those Scandinavians completely thorbjorned my hard-earned political capital."
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Difficulty is variable--I would hope good teams who have heard a lot of questions and studied packets would be able to buzz at some of those points. I don't see that as inherently a problem because I'm pretty sure there's still going to be a lot of teams who couldn't buzz there (plus a few teams who would buzz before your "famous clues" anyway).
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
wd4gdz
Tidus

Post by wd4gdz »

master15625 wrote: If I am underestimating the difficulty, I am sorry, I just feel that this is true.
I think you are underestimating the difficulty. You are a very, very, very good high school player, and in getting to that level, you might have read college-level packets like EFT 2008 and/or ACF Fall 2008. Both of those tournaments had tossups on Prokofiev, and both mentioned the Scythian Suite -- in lines 1 and 3, respectively. Once in a while, pat yourself on the back for your knowledge.
Billy Beyer, formerly of FSU
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Post by Mechanical Beasts »

Yeah, I see what you mean for each of them: each of those clues is knowable, so you should buzz there [if you have learned that clue]. The issue is that 90% of our audience doesn't know the first-line clues, and 75% doesn't know the second-line clues, and 50% doesn't know the third-line clues... You are, it seems, good at quizbowl.
Andrew Watkins
master15625
Rikku

Post by master15625 »

Cheynem wrote:Difficulty is variable--I would hope good teams who have heard a lot of questions and studied packets would be able to buzz at some of those points. I don't see that as inherently a problem because I'm pretty sure there's still going to be a lot of teams who couldn't buzz there (plus a few teams who would buzz before your "famous clues" anyway).
I guess "famous" doesn't really work here, but what I was trying to say by famous was that teams who play a lot and prepare for these tournaments should be able to get there.

And yeah, people would buzz in before, but I was just giving the location at where teams who play a lot and prepare for tournaments should be able to get.
Neil Gurram
'10 DCDS
'15 MIT
'16 MIT
Auron

wd4gdz wrote:
master15625 wrote: If I am underestimating the difficulty, I am sorry, I just feel that this is true.
I think you are underestimating the difficulty. You are a very, very, very good high school player, and in getting to that level, you might have read college-level packets like EFT 2008 and/or ACF Fall 2008. Both of those tournaments had tossups on Prokofiev, and both mentioned the Scythian Suite -- in lines 1 and 3, respectively. Once in a while, pat yourself on the back for your knowledge.
Neil, in case if wasn't clear, you do this a lot. You've pointed out questions/clues that are too easy that simply are absolutely not. It's not really a bad thing, but it just means that you're pretty awesome and things should be easy for you at times.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
gyre and gimble
Yuna

Post by gyre and gimble »

I would agree that Scythian Suite is pretty obscure, but I'd also say that it is used very frequently as an early clue on Prokofiev tossups. Just something I've noticed, but I haven't paid close enough attention to point out where. (I haven't read EFT or ACF 2008, btw).

On the other hand, Scythian Suite is probably the first work by Prokofiev that I had become familiar with; it's in Emerson, Lake, and Palmer's "In Concert" album.
Stephen Liu
Torrey Pines '10
Harvard '14
Stanford '17
Auron

HSAPQ-produced NSC-style Set #1, Packet #11, Bonus #4 wrote:Answer the following about some named items from Norse myth, for 10 points each.
[10] The sword known as Nothung, Balmung, or Gram was owned by this son of Sigmund, killer of Fafnir,
and hero of the Volsungcycle.
ANSWER: Sigurd [or Sigfried; prompt on “Hart“]
[10] Examples of these items include Frey's Skidbladnir, which could fold up and fit in a pocket, and
Hrym's Naglfar, which was made of clipped fingernails and toenails.
ANSWER: ship [accept equivalents]
Where is the "easy" part here?
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
Auron

Also, this is in the same packet:
HSAPQ-produced NSC-style Set #1, Packet #11, Tossup #20 wrote:20. Its school in Edessa was closed by imperial edict, and this sect was condemned by one council for
denying the title of Theotokos, or God-Bearer, for the Virgin Mary. The Indian portion of this sect was
known as the Christians of St. Thomas, and its namesake was an early bishop of Constantinople.
Sometimes called the Assyrian Church and the Church of the East, those who reunited with the Roman
church in 1551 were called Chaldeans. Condemned at the councils of Ephesus and Chalcedon, for 10
points, name this Christian set that stressed the independence of the human and divine natures of Jesus
Christ.
ANSWER: Nestorianism
That is too hard for a tossup, really.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
Unicolored Jay
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Unicolored Jay »

Caesar Rodney HS wrote:
HSAPQ-produced NSC-style Set #1, Packet #11, Bonus #4 wrote:Answer the following about some named items from Norse myth, for 10 points each.
[10] The sword known as Nothung, Balmung, or Gram was owned by this son of Sigmund, killer of Fafnir,
[10] Examples of these items include Frey's Skidbladnir, which could fold up and fit in a pocket, and
Sometimes it seems as if bonuses in the Related Tossup/Bonus section in PACE formats vary from easy/medium to medium/hard to easy/hard, but that's just me. I guess Sigurd is the easier part as he is more asked-about than ships in Norse mythology; as a decent mythology player I only got the first part the first time I read it.
Jasper Lee
University of Tennessee Health Science Center '21
The Ohio State University '14
Solon High School '10
master15625
Rikku

Post by master15625 »

Caesar Rodney HS wrote:
Isn't Sigfried a famous hero in Norse Mythology? Wouldn't that be somewhat a well known and important part?
Neil Gurram
'10 DCDS
'15 MIT
'16 MIT
Self-incompatibility in plants
Rikku

Post by Self-incompatibility in plants »

master15625 wrote:
Caesar Rodney HS wrote:
Isn't Sigfried a famous hero in Norse Mythology? Wouldn't that be somewhat a well known and important part?
Does the fact that you are asking if he is the answer your second question? I'm not saying that it is too hard of a question, but it is not easy enough to be the easy part of a bonus at this level.
Trey Taraila
Caesar Rodney 2010
University of Delaware 2014
master15625
Rikku

Post by master15625 »

ImaPC wrote:
master15625 wrote:
Does the fact that you are asking if he is the answer your second question? I'm not saying that it is too hard of a question, but it is not easy enough to be the easy part of a bonus at this level.
I misstated my question, I meant to say for my second question wouldn't that be an alright question to ask and a fair one as well?

I mean, all questions cannot always have an easy part to it, sometimes there are going to be questions that are going to have as its easiest question as the medium difficulty, which is important in distinguishing teams.

Round 11 is one of those later rounds, so it could be a reason why the bonus may have been harder than some think it should have.
Neil Gurram
'10 DCDS
'15 MIT
'16 MIT
Kouign Amann

Post by Kouign Amann »

I think the wonkiness of the old NSC format also plays into this. What exactly were the conversion targets for a two-part bonus? No one really ever said. That's why this format was eliminated.
Aidan Mehigan
Auron

master15625 wrote:
ImaPC wrote:
master15625 wrote:
I misstated my question, I meant to say for my second question wouldn't that be an alright question to ask and a fair one as well?

I mean, all questions cannot always have an easy part to it, sometimes there are going to be questions that are going to have as its easiest question as the medium difficulty, which is important in distinguishing teams.

Round 11 is one of those later rounds, so it could be a reason why the bonus may have been harder than some think it should have.
Rounds aren't supposed to get harder. Or, at least, HSAPQ never stated that this was the case. It would be nice if they said so, one way or another, now.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
Magister Ludi
Tidus

Post by Magister Ludi »

HSAPQ is sorry that some overly difficult questions (e.g. Nestorianism) were included in our sets. The rounds are meant to be evenly difficult and are not designed to become progressively harder as the tournament goes on. Just over this past year our writers have gained a stronger grasp of appropriate answer selection and there is constant internal discussion within HSAPQ about controlling difficulty and making next year's sets more accessible than the questions from this year. One of our primary goals is having the most accessible questions possible and next year we will have far more stringent controls on tossup difficulty.

Also HSAPQ has discontinued the NSC set that had the two part bonuses, which suffered from ambiguous definitions of the difficulty for the two parts. I think this ambiguity for two-part bonuses led to the overly difficult Siegfried bonus cited above.
Ted Gioia - Harvard '12
Editor ACF, PACE
Auron

Magister Ludi wrote:Also HSAPQ has discontinued the NSC set that had the two part bonuses, which suffered from ambiguous definitions of the difficulty for the two parts. I think this ambiguity for two-part bonuses led to the overly difficult Siegfried bonus cited above.
It did. Thanks Ted. That answered/addressed pretty much everything i pointed out.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
Tanay
Rikku

Post by Tanay »

[10] Name this state, the home of Crater Lake, with capital at Portland.
Answer: Oregon

^^ that question is in HSAPQ ACF2 Round 3...bonus 4

I don't think any American state has a capital at Portland...
Tanay
ex-Berkeley, ex-Bellarmine
Self-incompatibility in plants
Rikku

Post by Self-incompatibility in plants »

tk447 wrote:[10] Name this state, the home of Crater Lake, with capital at Portland.
Answer: Oregon

^^ that question is in HSAPQ ACF2 Round 3...bonus 4

I don't think any American state has a capital at Portland...
Oh my...
Trey Taraila
Caesar Rodney 2010
University of Delaware 2014
master15625
Rikku

Post by master15625 »

The person who was doing that question was obviously very sleepy...i hope. But luckily the problem was minor, since Crater Lake is pretty big in Oregon.
Neil Gurram
'10 DCDS
'15 MIT
'16 MIT
Kouign Amann

Post by Kouign Amann »

master15625 wrote:The person who was doing that question was obviously very sleepy...i hope. But luckily the problem was minor, since Crater Lake is pretty big in Oregon.
I hear Portland is pretty big as well.
Aidan Mehigan
master15625
Rikku

Post by master15625 »

Prof.Whoopie wrote:
master15625 wrote:The person who was doing that question was obviously very sleepy...i hope. But luckily the problem was minor, since Crater Lake is pretty big in Oregon.
Portland is really big in Maine as well, so that is why we can't really consider it as the main defining clue for Oregon.
Neil Gurram
'10 DCDS
'15 MIT
'16 MIT
Kouign Amann

Post by Kouign Amann »

master15625 wrote:
Prof.Whoopie wrote:
Portland is really big in Maine as well, so that is why we can't really consider it as the main defining clue for Oregon.
Crap, I always forget about Maine. Never mind then. Carry on.
Aidan Mehigan
master15625
Rikku

Post by master15625 »

I was just wondering. Which ACF-style this year was intended to be the hardest of the four? It seems as if ACF-3 was the hardest of the four, so I was wondering if because of the power marks that this was the reason why ACF-3 was intentionally made the hardest?

Thanks
Neil Gurram
'10 DCDS
'15 MIT
'16 MIT
Auron

Four-Quarter Set, Round 6, last section,Tossup 2 wrote:One part of this initiative was the creation of the Department of Transportation and this also led to the creation of the Center for Public Broadcasting and National Public Radio. The Elementary and Secondary Transportation Act set the precedent of national funding for public schools and this program created the Head Start preschool system. Other reforms under this sweeping moniker include Food Stamps, Medicare, and the Civil Rights Act of 1964. For 10 points name this set of domestic reforms initiated by Lyndon B. Johnson.
ANSWER: Great Society
Probably just a typo, but i'm pretty sure that's supposed to be "The Elementary and Secondary Education Act."
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01