Southern Illinois secessionists?!

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
jonah
Auron

Southern Illinois secessionists?!

Post by jonah »

This might be better off in AHAN, but anyway: http://www.wbbm780.com/pages/4588860.ph ... Id=4165309

Discuss. For quizbowl purposes, can we keep a tiny corridor down to and including Carbondale, the way O'Hare is kept as part of the city of Chicago? Should they join Texas as a sort of upper peninsula? Where will the corrupt politicians come from without Chicago?
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
the return of AHAN
Auron

Re: Southern Illinois secessionists?!

Post by the return of AHAN »

OK, WBBM should really stop using The Onion as a primary source.
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach (2021 & 2023 HSNCT Champions, 2023 PACE Champions, 2023 Illinois Masonic Bowl Class 3A State Champions)
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

I agree--keep Carbondale. The Colonel has spoken. :grin:
David Riley
Coach Emeritus, Loyola Academy, Wilmette, Illinois, 1993-2010
Steering Committee, IHSSBCA, 1996 -
Member, PACE, 2012 -

"This is 1183, of course we're barbarians" -- Eleanor of Aquitaine in "The Lion in Winter"
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

OK, which stupid and arbitrary definition of "Southern" Illinois would be used? 80, 72, 70?
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

dtaylor4 wrote:OK, which stupid and arbitrary definition of "Southern" Illinois would be used? 80, 72, 70?
South of Wayne county, or possibly Fayette.
Jonah Greenthal
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

jonah wrote:
dtaylor4 wrote:OK, which stupid and arbitrary definition of "Southern" Illinois would be used? 80, 72, 70?
South of Wayne county, or possibly Fayette.
Where can I sign up? Screw C-dale.
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

Jonah Greenthal
The Moviegoer
Lulu

Post by The Moviegoer »

i'll allow it
Craig Messner
Illinois '12
Lakes Community '08
Dresden_The_BIG_JERK
Tidus

Post by Dresden_The_BIG_JERK »

What will the new state be called? South Illinois? Illinois South? Or perhaps the more apt "North Mississippi". (Apologies to those from Southern Illinois reading it, as you are obviously not the ones causing my notion of Southern Illinois as such)(Also apologies to those from Mississippi)
BJ Houlding

Winnebago '04
Saint Joseph's College '08
IHSSBCA Certified Moderator
harpersferry
Wakka

Post by harpersferry »

This would solve all our quizbowl problems! Of course, expect the SIHSA to revert to pre-1990 rules for Scholastic Bowl. Poor Carbondale. They'd have to play in Missouri.
John Brown
Rockford Auburn '08
Indiana University '12
Geringer
Rikku

Post by Geringer »

Would the new SIHSA have computational math? Because, if so, I think I'll move to Cairo, compete for the high school I will found (Geringer Institute of Lower Learning), and use those four new years of eligibility to dominate computational math.

A dream? I think not. Just wait, I will make my fantasies a reality if this movement reaches fruition.
R. Jeffrey Geringer
Saint Viator '09
Illinois '13, '14
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

SaveComputationalMath wrote:the high school I will found (Geringer Academy of Lower-Order Learning, or GALOL)
fixed
Jonah Greenthal
Marble-faced Bristle Tyrant
Yuna

Post by Marble-faced Bristle Tyrant »

SaveComputationalMath wrote:Would the new SIHSA have bass fishing?
Fixed.
Farrah Bilimoria
Formerly of Georgia Tech and Central High School (Macon)
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

rienzi0711 wrote:
SaveComputationalMath wrote:Would the new SIHSA have bass fishing?
Fixed.
Do you even need to ask this? Hell, my dad was actually bragging about how his alma mater did in the state tournament.
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

Re one of the above posts: Missouri is no bargain either, just ask Charlie Dees. :smile:
David Riley
Coach Emeritus, Loyola Academy, Wilmette, Illinois, 1993-2010
Steering Committee, IHSSBCA, 1996 -
Member, PACE, 2012 -

"This is 1183, of course we're barbarians" -- Eleanor of Aquitaine in "The Lion in Winter"
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Oh boy, Carbondale would be in for a real treat. The fortunate thing is that this year 8 tournaments used A set or better questions, and next year I think we can hit at least 12 (with some of those A sets being replaced by more standard sets) but it would be bad times for Carbondale because only a couple would be in St. Louis, most of the rest will be at Rolla or Mizzou.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Deckard Cain
Rikku

Post by Deckard Cain »

Somewhat interestingly, Carbondale is actually substantially closer to both Rolla and Columbia than it is to Chicago, so that might not be so bad after all. :shock:
Matt Chadbourne
Viburnum HS '04
Missouri S&T '09 and '11
Missouri Quizbowl Alliance member/president emeritus

Like MOQBA on Facebook and follow us on Twitter!
CometCoach72
Wakka

Post by CometCoach72 »

May I suggest that you open up an outpost or an oasis in Central Bond County? PLEASE!?!
Jay Winter
Greenville HS (IL) Scholastic Bowl Coach and Chief UN Translator for Math
Decatur MacArthur Class of 1990 - Illinois State Class of 1994 - MS Ed SIU Edwardsville 2010
Harley-Davidson owner since 2009
Fan of Good Questions
Monk
Lulu

Post by Monk »

Carbondale is roughly equidistant from Chicago and Jackson, Mississippi, and much closer to Nashville or St. Louis, so sucession is actually a better idea than it sounds. We would be called South Illinois, Carbondale would be capitol, and our state animal/logo would be the deer tick, dropping off a tree onto a victim much as we would drop off Illinois. Without the ISHA, the Carbondale team would use our influence with the local Masons, one of the few sources of quizbowl funding in the area, to found and rule our own state quizbowl organization. As other schools felt the pinch of no support/grants at all from the state of Illinois and continually declining economies (So. Ill has not felt much recession, since, especially outside Carbondale, there has been one going on already for years), and tried to balance their budgets, the other teams, which recieve little to no cash support from their schools anyway, would be forced to obey us in order to win pittances from the Masons. We could enforce whatever formats we felt like, including all favorite-author tournaments.

Or CCHS could go all "West Berlin" and never have to play another slow-motion late-night QG knowledge massacre against local teams.

But, seriously, the only reason we're still a part of Illinois is that we get money from the state government, and now that that's running out, I don't know...

And, no, Carbondale does not have a bass fishing team, even though numerous students are pushing for one, since one of our local rivals has a team that won a huge state tournament.
J. L. Monk
CCHS Captain '09-'10