Virginia NAQT Championship May 9 (Richmond)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Matt Weiner
Sin

Virginia NAQT Championship May 9 (Richmond)

Post by Matt Weiner »

[Full announcement is now up below].

Barring any conflicting tournaments I don't know about (tell me now if you're aware of them) VCU and UVa will be co-hosting the NAQT Virginia Championship on May 9 at The Collegiate School in Richmond. I do know that there are some AP exams in the week after, but this is the best remaining Saturday to do this on, all things considered.

I'll have all of the details shortly, but you can register starting now by e-mailing me at [email protected] or by posting in this thread. Tentative field cap is 24. You can register multiple teams right away.

Other information that may be pertinent:
*It is unlikely, though not yet entirely ruled out, that we will use clocks; reading to tossup 20 is what you can reasonably expect.
*The tournament will last from about 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM with a one-hour lunch break. All teams will play at least nine games.
*All high schools (and, I guess, middle schools) in Virginia of any kind are eligible. No pre-qualification is required.
*We WILL be awarding a small-school title if there are at least 4 small schools in attendance. For this tournament a "small school" is a public school in class A or AA of VHSL, or a private school with a 9th to 12th grade enrollment of 500 or fewer. The small-school title will either be awarded to the highest-finishing small school in the overall standings, or played off separately; once we know the overall field size, we will specify which.
*The state championship set is IS-85. It is being used only for NAQT state championships, which means no Virginia teams should have heard it anywhere else.
*Registration fees will be in the $60-65 range, with discounts available for bringing buzzers or scorekeepers.
*The cutoff for HSNCT qualification is not until May 15, meaning that the highest-finishing not-previously-qualified team will be able to qualify from this tournament, as will (I think) the top 15% of the field and the top public small school. I am going to find out from NAQT whether any spots in the HSNCT are actually being reserved or if the field is likely to be entirely full by May 9.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
Tower Monarch
Rikku

Re: Virginia NAQT Championship May 9 (Richmond)

Post by Tower Monarch »

Matt Weiner wrote: I do know that there are some AP exams in the week after, but this is the best remaining Saturday to do this on, all things considered.
Studying for APs is overrated, though I do have the trifecta that Monday.... Anyway, I plan to play this one, almost certainly with the usual Cosby people.
Cameron Orth - Freelance Writer/Moderator, PACE member
College: JTCC 2011, Dartmouth College '09-'10, '11-'14
Mathematics, Computer Science and Film/Media Studies
High School: Home Schooled/Cosby High '08-'09, MLWGSGIS A-E '06-'08
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Matt Weiner wrote:*The cutoff for HSNCT qualification is not until May 15, meaning that the highest-finishing not-previously-qualified team will be able to qualify from this tournament, as will (I think) the top 15% of the field and the top public small school. I am going to find out from NAQT whether any spots in the HSNCT are actually being reserved or if the field is likely to be entirely full by May 9.
NAQT has clarified this as follows:
*The champion of the tournament will qualify for the HSNCT and have a spot in the HSNCT reserved for them.
*The top 15% of teams, the highest-finishing team that has not already qualified, and the top public small school (if it finishes in the top half of the field overall) will all qualify for the HSNCT. They will not have saved spots, but they will go on the waitlist and, as R. Hentzel wrote "every team that has ever joined a waitlist for the HSNCT has eventually gotten in." So, if you're still looking to qualify for and attend the HSNCT, this tournament is a good place to do that.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
Whiter Hydra
Auron

Post by Whiter Hydra »

Barring any bureaucratic madness, TJ will be sending at least one team to this.
Harry White
TJHSST '09, Virginia Tech '13

Owner of Tournament Database Search and Quizbowl Schedule Generator
Will run stats for food
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

This is the full announcement for the ninth Virginia NAQT Championship.

This is a high school academic quizbowl tournament, to be operated jointly by the quizbowl teams at Virginia Commonwealth University and the University of Virginia, and held at the Collegiate School in Richmond, on Saturday, May 9 from 8:30 AM to 4:00 PM. This tournament will determine the NAQT-format state champion for Virginia, and is open to any secondary school team in Virginia that wishes to attend (including both public and private schools, B teams, etc).

We are capping the total field size at 24 for the time being, but we will seek ways to expand the field if there is more interest than that.

AFFILIATION: As an official NAQT event, this tournament will qualify teams in several ways for the NAQT High School National Championship Tournament, which NAQT is running in Chicago on May 30 & 31, 2009. This tournament will also seek affiliation with the Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence and will be an opportunity to qualify for the PACE National Scholastics Championship, which is run by PACE and will occur at George Mason University in Fairfax, VA on May 23 & 24, 2009.

QUESTIONS: The questions will be provided by National Academic Quiz Tournaments (naqt.com). We will run 20-tossup games rather than using the clock. In accordance with NAQT policy, which allows hosts to modify the packets, we are considering removing math calculation tossups from this event and replacing them with additional normal tossups from the packets. No other changes are planned. The question set is IS-85, which is exclusively for high school state championships and thus should not have been heard previously by any team eligible for this tournament.

LOCATION, DIRECTIONS, PARKING: The tournament will take place at the campus of Collegiate School. We will be meeting in the Memorial Hall cafeteria. Registration will begin at 8:30, and the first round will begin as soon as possible after that. Please arrive by 8:30 to guarantee that you do not miss the start of gameplay.

-You can use "103 North Mooreland Road" for your map software, or use the directions page linked above. Park in the school lot.

FORMAT: The tournament format will be determined once the final field size is known. What we can say for now is that all teams will have the opportunity to play at least nine games, that the playoffs will use a bracketed or power-matched system rather than single-elimination, that all ties determining who remains in contention for the title will be played off rather than broken on statistics, and that we will be awarding a small-school state title if there are at least 4 small schools in attendance. For this tournament a "small school" is a public school in class A or AA of VHSL, or a private school with a 9th to 12th grade enrollment of 500 or fewer. The small-school title will either be awarded to the highest-finishing small school in the overall standings, or played off separately; once we know the overall field size, we will specify which.

REGISTRATION AND FEES:
-The fee structure is as follows:
Base fee: $60 per team. There is no limit to the number of teams who can attend from one school.
Buzzer discount: $5 off school's total fee for each fully functional system (control box and eight activators all work)--no limit to # of systems you can bring
Staff discount: $15 off school's total fee. This could be a coach, parent, student who is not playing, etc. Team-provided staffers will keep score for various games not involving the team with which they are affiliated. Volunteer staffers must stay through all the games (except finals) in order to receive credit for their school. There is no limit to the number of staffers you can bring.
Minimum fee: The minimum fee is $0 (you can bring enough buzzers and staffers to eliminate your entire fee via discounts, but you cannot have a "negative fee.")
-To register, post in this thread or mail me at [email protected] with the number of teams, buzzers, and staffers you want to bring, and an email address where you can be contacted with details. Feel free to forward this announcement to any schools that you think would be interested in attending.

METHOD OF PAYMENT: To pay your registration fees for this tournament, please bring either cash, or a check (institutional or personal) made out to Andrew Alexander, who is the Quizbowl at VCU treasurer. Do not bring checks made out to Matt Weiner, to VCU, to "quizbowl," etc. We cannot use them. We strongly prefer not to deal with purchase orders, but if your school absolutely requires it, then you need to send us the paperwork no later than April 15 so that we can get it back in time for you to have a check written before the tournament. Contact me for details if you need to physically mail something to me or to Andrew. Similarly, if you need us to fill out supplemental paperwork so that you can write a check to an individual person, please arrange that far enough in advance of the tournament to enable yourself to bring the check on May 9.

DELINQUENT PAYMENT: Teams who do not pay on the morning of the tournament will be charged a $25 penalty and will have two weeks to pay their total amount before we start mailing letters to your school administration about it.

TEAM & ROSTER SIZE: There may be a maximum of six players on one team's roster, though only four may play at one time. There is a halftime substitution opportunity in each game. Each player may appear on only one team's roster throughout the day--no switching from the B team to the A team, etc. Teams may also play shorthanded with only three players. Teams consisting of fewer than three players may not play without my express prior permission.

FOOD: Neither breakfast nor lunch will be provided by the tournament. We will provide a list of suggested eateries for the lunch break.

Post here or mail me if you have any further questions. I'm looking forward to seeing a wide variety of teams from Virginia on May 9.

Matt Weiner
Tournament Director, Virginia NAQT Championship
[email protected]

Field (to be edited as registrations come in):

Auburn
Collegiate A
Collegiate B
Cosby
James River A
James River B
Maggie Walker A
Maggie Walker B
Matt Weiner
pretzeldude92
Wakka

Post by pretzeldude92 »

I wish that we could go to this but we have prom. :sad:
Last edited by pretzeldude92 on Wed May 13, 2009 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A.J. Collins
President of the Alabama Academic Quizbowl Team, 2010-2011

Rappahannock County High School '09
Alabama '13

This is ALABAMA QUIZBOWL!
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

I'll give everyone until Thursday evening to register for this. If it stays at 9 teams we'll do a full RR followed by a top-4 playoff RR with some exhibition games for everyone else.
Matt Weiner
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Congratulations to your 2009 Virginia state champion, Maggie Walker A, and state runner-up, Collegiate A.

Stats are at http://www.hsquizbowl.org/vanaqt/vanaqt_standings.html.
Matt Weiner
millionwaves
Auron

Post by millionwaves »

This thread got pretty tangled up. You can view the three new threads that this one has spawned at viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7782
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7783
and
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7784
Trygve Meade
Illinois, ACF

Above the Star-Apple Kingdom