Fall 2009 Columbia Tournament?

Old college threads.
ftsnop
Kimahri

Fall 2009 Columbia Tournament?

Post by ftsnop »

Since Columbia failed to get a chance to host a tournament this spring, I am wondering if anyone is interested in a October or fall tournament at Columbia. Anyone willing to be mirrored? Any other overlapping tournaments?
Leebyn Chong
Columbia University 2011
Matt Weiner
Sin

Re: Fall 2009 Columbia Tournament?

Post by Matt Weiner »

I've heard both rumors and concrete plans for various independent events. There's always ACF Fall to bid on, as well. I presume we at VCU would be willing to host it for a third straight year if no other nearby teams like UVa bid on it, so both the north and south portions of the Mid-Atlantic would be adequately served if Columbia were to host this tournament.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
Ondes Martenot
Tidus

Post by Ondes Martenot »

You could almost certainly count on RPI attending
Aaron Cohen, Bergen County Academies '08, RPI '12, NYU-???, NAQT writer, HSAPQ writer, PACE writer
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Brown would surely make the trip.
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
TheCzarMan
Tidus

Post by TheCzarMan »

Please host ACF Fall, makes it easier for me to attend a first tournament without banking on finding a car.
Nick Petrilli
Bloomfield High School 2009
Freelance/Mercenary Moderator, TD, Player, and Reader
olsb25
Wakka

Post by olsb25 »

We would also likely attend, since we would just have to take the train.
Kunle Demuren
Ocean Lakes (VA) Scholastic Bowl (2003-07)
Princeton College Bowl (2007-)
fleurdelivre
Tidus

Post by fleurdelivre »

There's a chance I'll be at Columbia in the fall. If so, I'd love to help put this together... I'll let you know if this is the case.
Katy
Vanderbilt '06 / Harvard '11 / freelance moderator
Lapego1
Tidus

Post by Lapego1 »

Penn would gladly attend ACF Fall here with multiple teams.
Mehdi Razvi
Maggie Walker Gov. School '07
University of Pennsylvania '11

"A goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid."
-James D. Watson (1928-)
Rothlover
Yuna

Post by Rothlover »

I, and a couple others, might be at Columbia (or a School under its aegis) come fall. I am very much up for helping bring events to NYC.
Dan Passner Brandeis '06 JTS/Columbia '11-'12 Ben Gurion University of the Negev/Columbia '12?
The Logic of Scientific Disco
Wakka

Post by The Logic of Scientific Disco »

I'd be concerned that MIT and Harvard would have a hard time bringing a good number of teams (judging by current size, we would probably bring about 3 or 4 teams each to a sufficiently close tournament) to something in NYC; I know we would probably be limited by the cost of rental cars to 1 or at most 2 teams. That having been said, a quick glance at our SCT field shows that the balance of new-ish teams in the Northeast is shifting down the coast, so an ACF Fall in NYC rather than the Boston area would be either irrelevant or good for them (I'm thinking of UConn, West Point, Yale [not new, but plenty of new players]...).
Chris Kennedy, MIT
Theory Of The Leisure Flask
Yuna

Post by Theory Of The Leisure Flask »

The Logic of Scientific Disco wrote:I'd be concerned that MIT and Harvard would have a hard time bringing a good number of teams (judging by current size, we would probably bring about 3 or 4 teams each to a sufficiently close tournament) to something in NYC; I know we would probably be limited by the cost of rental cars to 1 or at most 2 teams. That having been said, a quick glance at our SCT field shows that the balance of new-ish teams in the Northeast is shifting down the coast, so an ACF Fall in NYC rather than the Boston area would be either irrelevant or good for them (I'm thinking of UConn, West Point, Yale [not new, but plenty of new players]...).
I see no reason ACF Fall couldn't be held in both Boston and NYC. I mean, it's ACF Fall. There are going to be lots of teams, and if Columbia was a site without Boston, we could totally be looking at a 30-team tournament.
Chris White
Bloomfield HS (New Jersey) '01, Swarthmore College '05, University of Pennsylvania '10. Still writes questions occasionally.
Skepticism and Animal Feed
Auron

Post by Skepticism and Animal Feed »

NYC is easier to get to from Boston than is New Haven, I think, based on how many more cheap ways to get there there are.
Bruce
Harvard '10 / UChicago '07 / Roycemore School '04
ACF Member emeritus
My guide to using Wikipedia as a question source
Susan
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Susan »

The Logic of Scientific Disco wrote:I'd be concerned that MIT and Harvard would have a hard time bringing a good number of teams (judging by current size, we would probably bring about 3 or 4 teams each to a sufficiently close tournament) to something in NYC; I know we would probably be limited by the cost of rental cars to 1 or at most 2 teams. That having been said, a quick glance at our SCT field shows that the balance of new-ish teams in the Northeast is shifting down the coast, so an ACF Fall in NYC rather than the Boston area would be either irrelevant or good for them (I'm thinking of UConn, West Point, Yale [not new, but plenty of new players]...).
Sounds like it's Bolt Bus time!
Susan
UChicago alum (AB 2003, PhD 2009)
Member emerita, ACF
fleurdelivre
Tidus

Post by fleurdelivre »

myamphigory wrote:Sounds like it's Bolt Bus time!
No, no no - Fung Wah all the way!
Last edited by fleurdelivre on Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Katy
Susan
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Susan »

fleurdelivre wrote:
But is there wireless on the Fung Wah?
Susan
UChicago alum (AB 2003, PhD 2009)
Member emerita, ACF
fleurdelivre
Tidus

Post by fleurdelivre »

myamphigory wrote:
fleurdelivre wrote:
But is there wireless on the Fung Wah?
No, but it's generally cheaper and doesn't sell out three days in advance, either. I don't like schedules very much, so that wins my loyalty.
Katy
dyetman89
Wakka

Post by dyetman89 »

I would be willing to make the daunting journey from the Upper East Side to Morningside Heights.
Doug
Brandeis '17
Skepticism and Animal Feed
Auron

Post by Skepticism and Animal Feed »

What's the point of taking a bus if I can't liveblog the trip?
Bruce
Harvard '10 / UChicago '07 / Roycemore School '04
ACF Member emeritus
My guide to using Wikipedia as a question source
Not That Kind of Christian!!
Yuna

Post by Not That Kind of Christian!! »

Theory Of The Leisure Flask wrote:
I see no reason ACF Fall couldn't be held in both Boston and NYC. I mean, it's ACF Fall. There are going to be lots of teams, and if Columbia was a site without Boston, we could totally be looking at a 30-team tournament.
I agree. There are enough up-and-coming south Northeast teams, and enough large north Northeast clubs, for two sites with a good number of attending schools. While Brandeis would of course go to a comprehensive ACF Fall at Columbia, I think I can speak for my team and say that we'd prefer a smaller tournament in the more immediate area.
Hannah Kirsch
Brandeis University 2010
NYU School of Medicine 2014

"Wow, those Scandinavians completely thorbjorned my hard-earned political capital."
ftsnop
Kimahri

Post by ftsnop »

I have ACF Fall at the top of the list, but I'm not confident the bid will be successful. We were hoping to host ACF Regionals but didn't get the bid.
Leebyn Chong
Columbia University 2011
Ondes Martenot
Tidus

Post by Ondes Martenot »

Out of curiousity, what would be the parking situation for a tournament at Columbia?
Aaron Cohen, Bergen County Academies '08, RPI '12, NYU-???, NAQT writer, HSAPQ writer, PACE writer