43%
Dream Packets (see below)
38%

Total votes: 21

Mike Bentley
Sin

Interest in ICT Guerrilla Tournament?

Post by Mike Bentley »

Would people be interested in a guerrilla tournament (i.e. no editors for those of you not familar to bad quizbowl) at the ICT this year? It would probably take place on Saturday night, although depending on length it's possible we could do a few rounds on Friday night or Friday afternoon.

I've created a poll to solicit the format people would like to see for packet formats. The three options are (although I'm open to other creative ideas):
1. Standard Distribution - i.e. pretty close to an ACF packet, although with your choice of difficulty level.
2. Hybrid - Some combination of academic/trash/meta.
3. Themes - Go crazy and write on niche areas people don't necessarily care about.
4. Dream Packets - Dan Passner's idea of you writing someone else's dream packet. For instance, I might write a Jonathan Magin Dream Packet on William Gaddis, the Balitmore Orioles, items on the menu at Noodles, Tecmo Bowl, etc., while someone else might write a Dan Passner packet on Jews and hot dogs. You'd have to announce your theme ahead of time so we don't have 12 Chris Ray packets or something.

My preference leans greatly towards the fourth option.

To guarantee getting to play in this free tournament you would need to write a packet. People can form teams ahead of time to do question writing, and then there will probably be some sort of additional draft at the actual event. However, if you don't write a packet it's possible you might not end up on a team if the format doesn't work out.

We'd also need a few people to staff unless we had under a certain number of teams.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
Mike Bentley
Sin

Re: Interest in ICT Guerrilla Tournament?

Post by Mike Bentley »

In case we end up doing the dream packets, here are the current reservations:
Packet Author - Target
Chris Chiego - Charles Meigs
Mike Bentley - Bruce Arthur
Mike Bentley
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I would be interested in playing, although if it is Saturday night, my plane reservation would sadly trump quiz bowl. I don't mind writing a dream packet, although due to my lack of meta knowledge, it would probably have to be on a Minnesota team member.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
cdcarter
Yuna

Post by cdcarter »

Cheynem wrote:I would be interested in playing, although if it is Saturday night, my plane reservation would sadly trump quiz bowl. I don't mind writing a dream packet, although due to my lack of meta knowledge, it would probably have to be on a Minnesota team member.
Mike, I'd be willing to go in on a Rob Carson packet.
Christian Carter
Minneapolis South High School '09 | Emerson College '13
PACE Member (retired)
marnold
Tidus

Post by marnold »

I will contribute a Seth Teitler dream packet (possibly with some assistance from some other Chicago people).
Michael Arnold
Chicago 2010
Columbia Law 2013

2009 ACF Nats Champion
2010 ICT Champion
2010 CULT Champion
Member of Mike Cheyne's Quizbowl All-Heel Team

Fundamental Theorem of Quizbowl (Revised): Almost no one is actually good at quizbowl.
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

cdcarter wrote:
Cheynem wrote:I would be interested in playing, although if it is Saturday night, my plane reservation would sadly trump quiz bowl. I don't mind writing a dream packet, although due to my lack of meta knowledge, it would probably have to be on a Minnesota team member.
Mike, I'd be willing to go in on a Rob Carson packet.
GO ON
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

If people want to write an Eric Mukherjee dream packet, I can weigh in
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
Skepticism and Animal Feed
Auron

Post by Skepticism and Animal Feed »

I would love to follow up my Science writing debut at Science Monstrosity with an Andy Watkins dream packet.
Bruce
Harvard '10 / UChicago '07 / Roycemore School '04
ACF Member emeritus
My guide to using Wikipedia as a question source
Theory Of The Leisure Flask
Yuna

Post by Theory Of The Leisure Flask »

I'm interested, though a) my meta-fu is pretty weak, so I'd need some guidance if we're doing dream packets, and b) my plane gets in too late to be a part of any Friday afternoon rounds.
Chris White
Bloomfield HS (New Jersey) '01, Swarthmore College '05, University of Pennsylvania '10. Still writes questions occasionally.
Mr. Kwalter
Tidus

Post by Mr. Kwalter »

I'll probably play this if the format isn't "dream packets." Any of the other three would be fine with me (assuming the theme packets were well-executed and otherwise fit the standard or hybrid distribution), but the dream packets thing seems like one of those quizbowl ideas that is fun to talk about and sounds good for a couple hours then fails because really, it's kind of retarded. I've had my share of those...
Eric Kwartler
Alumnus, University of Texas School of Law
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

Mr. Kwalter wrote:the dream packets thing seems like one of those quizbowl ideas that is fun to talk about and sounds good for a couple hours then fails
Second that. I don't harbor the delusion that anyone else on the planet would actually enjoy playing a packet with 10/10 each birdwatching and English Civil War historiography.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

I have no interest in "dream packets." Otherwise I'll probably participate.
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

In the interest of including more people in this tournament, we can nix the dream packet idea.

How about packets distributed in the following manner:
2/2 History
2/2 Literature
2/2 Science
1.5/1.5 RMP
1.5/1.5 Arts
1/1 SS/Geography/Trash
10/10 Your Choice

The 10/10 Your Choice would be your oppurtunity to go wild and make your packet have 3/3 linguistics, 4/4 American Literature, etc. The rest of the distribution would serve as a counter-balance to add some sort of consistency between packets.

I'm also open to not having bonuses to save on writing and playing time (I don't imagine we'll have all that much time to play this during the period where everyone is at the tournament).
Mike Bentley
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Post by Frater Taciturnus »

bt_green_warbler wrote: I don't harbor the delusion that anyone else on the planet would actually enjoy playing a packet with 10/10 each birdwatching and English Civil War historiography.
PAGING GREG TITO
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
J. Sargeant Reynolds CC 2008, 2009, 2014
Virginia Commonwealth 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,
Douglas Freeman 2005, 2006, 2007
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

The distribution seems solid, but I will be honest: If I write a packet for this, it's basically just going to strech the limits of the distribution anyway (i.e., my science ain't gonna be science, folks).
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Mr. Kwalter
Tidus

Post by Mr. Kwalter »

Bentley Like Beckham wrote:The 10/10 Your Choice would be your oppurtunity to go wild and make your packet have 3/3 linguistics, 4/4 American Literature, etc. The rest of the distribution would serve as a counter-balance to add some sort of consistency between packets.
I really don't see the point of this. Maybe I've grown conservative in my old age, but why do we need to abandon the idea of an ordered standardized distribution (even if that distribution is non-traditional) to have fun? Like Jeff was saying, I don't think most people would want to hear the niche crap each of us would write about if we could write about whatever we wanted. Also, we might want a little sanity after playing ICT.
I'm also open to not having bonuses to save on writing and playing time (I don't imagine we'll have all that much time to play this during the period where everyone is at the tournament).
Sure.
Eric Kwartler
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Post by Mechanical Beasts »

Mr. Kwalter wrote:
Bentley Like Beckham wrote:The 10/10 Your Choice would be your oppurtunity to go wild and make your packet have 3/3 linguistics, 4/4 American Literature, etc. The rest of the distribution would serve as a counter-balance to add some sort of consistency between packets.
I really don't see the point of this. Maybe I've grown conservative in my old age, but why do we need to abandon the idea of an ordered standardized distribution (even if that distribution is non-traditional) to have fun? Like Jeff was saying, I don't think most people would want to hear the niche crap each of us would write about if we could write about whatever we wanted. Also, we might want a little sanity after playing ICT.
I'm open to basically anything and will play this in any event. I'd like to note, though that dream packets can still be written with a standard distribution: for example, if you haven't discovered at least one part of each lit subdistribution that I enjoy, you don't know me. Those things would belong in my dream packet.

And so I think that Kwartler's right in that we don't need to break from a distribution to have fun. In fact, these dream packets might be more fun the more strictly we try to adhere to a common form. If the distribution isn't a constraint, then I will tell you right up front that I will enjoy the 3/3 RCM and 2/2 Negishi coupling in my packet, but I will also say that that's kind of less exciting because everyone could predict that hey, Andy Watkins likes orgo. It's more fun to try to make a subtly shaded but obviously Bruce Arthur packet than it is to write 20/20 Hungarian history and say "lol, Bruce likes this."
Andrew Watkins
Mr. Kwalter
Tidus

Post by Mr. Kwalter »

You're absolutely right, Andy, but now you're just talking about theme packets. If people want to do theme packets with a standard or hybrid distribution, I'd personally be cool with that, even if the theme is based around a person.
Eric Kwartler
cdcarter
Yuna

Post by cdcarter »

everyday847 wrote: And so I think that Kwartler's right in that we don't need to break from a distribution to have fun. In fact, these dream packets might be more fun the more strictly we try to adhere to a common form. If the distribution isn't a constraint, then I will tell you right up front that I will enjoy the 3/3 RCM and 2/2 Negishi coupling in my packet, but I will also say that that's kind of less exciting because everyone could predict that hey, Andy Watkins likes orgo. It's more fun to try to make a subtly shaded but obviously Bruce Arthur packet than it is to write 20/20 Hungarian history and say "lol, Bruce likes this."
I kind of assumed this was the idea behind the dream packets. So yea, my vote for dream packets is contingent on distribution being a thing in the theme packets.
Christian Carter
Minneapolis South High School '09 | Emerson College '13
PACE Member (retired)
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Post by Mechanical Beasts »

Mr. Kwalter wrote:You're absolutely right, Andy, but now you're just talking about theme packets. If people want to do theme packets with a standard or hybrid distribution, I'd personally be cool with that, even if the theme is based around a person.
I see. I guess I inferred that the example packet on "Jews and hot dogs" for Dan Passner wouldn't be 5/5 noted cantors and 2/2 frankfurter history, but rather, say, some Jewish authors (I hear there's some dude named Roth, I don't know) or characters (there's one in Malta or something?) and, while of course there could be a trash tossup on hot dogs, you could use puns to get some science out of it (Wiener processes exist).
Andrew Watkins
Skepticism and Animal Feed
Auron

Post by Skepticism and Animal Feed »

I agree with Hannah and Andy. The idea of individually themed packets is far too amusing and novel to abandon.
Bruce
Harvard '10 / UChicago '07 / Roycemore School '04
ACF Member emeritus
My guide to using Wikipedia as a question source
SepiaOfficinalis
Lulu

Post by SepiaOfficinalis »

Bentley Like Beckham wrote:In the interest of including more people in this tournament, we can nix the dream packet idea.

How about packets distributed in the following manner:
2/2 History
2/2 Literature
2/2 Science
1.5/1.5 RMP
1.5/1.5 Arts
1/1 SS/Geography/Trash
10/10 Your Choice

The 10/10 Your Choice would be your oppurtunity to go wild and make your packet have 3/3 linguistics, 4/4 American Literature, etc. The rest of the distribution would serve as a counter-balance to add some sort of consistency between packets.

Grinnell Quizbowl 05-07
University of Minnesota Quizbowl 08-09.
T.....S...E...O
O.....O...R...L
M......D...H...M
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Alright, how about theme packets with a standardish distribution where you can optionally make the theme "So and So's Dream Packet"?
Mike Bentley
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I mean it's an informal guerrilla tournament. As long as people don't write totally insane themed/distributed packets, I don't think anyone's going to get too wonked off at a packet that features no classical music or something.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Rothlover
Yuna

Post by Rothlover »

I do think the specifics of whatever gimmick need to be fleshed out better. I mean, all Jew with wacky distribution is what HAWKFACE will be for. The event would also be a leisurely thing with like buzzers in people's rooms and such, with liquids involved? Also, for the record, my ideal packet would be mostly non-biblical Jewy works/events/stuff, hardass baseball and a small dose of cheap eats (my percieved specific love of hot dogs has been exaggerated to Rayian proportions.)
Dan Passner Brandeis '06 JTS/Columbia '11-'12 Ben Gurion University of the Negev/Columbia '12?