TRASH Archive?

Old college threads.
Jamnman23
Lulu

TRASH Archive?

Post by Jamnman23 »

This year, and particularly this semester, there are many trash tournaments being held. However, there are currently very few high quality tournaments, which have their packets posted so that people can practice playing trash rounds. At Penn, we have played no more than two trash rounds per week in practice this year, and we are almost completely out of rounds to play. All that is left is Ann B. Davis, which should not even really count because the questions and subject distribution do not follow normal trash standards at all. That said, the Stanford Packet Archive in particular has become nearly obsolete in terms of providing quality trash packets to play. Does anyone know of another archive which has more quality trash packets available? Additionally, why are no packets from TRASH regionals or TRASHionals (besides a few theme rounds) posted anywhere in the Stanford Archive? Finally, if someone knows where past TRASH regionals or TRASHionals packets can be found, please share. Overall, if people have any ideas about how to make more quality trash packets available, please post your ideas below.
Benjamin Frank
University of Pennsylvania 2012
pray for elves
Auron

Re: TRASH Archive?

Post by pray for elves »

TRASH hasn't released their sets, but I think you can buy them.
Evan
Georgetown Law Alum, Brandeis Alum, Oak Ridge High Alum
Ex-PACE, Ex-ACF
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Where would you be using these trash packets?
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by DumbJaques »

Where would you be using these trash packets?
In Mehdi's nightmares.
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
Jamnman23
Lulu

Post by Jamnman23 »

Of course we wouldn't use the trash packets in any official capacity. We just would like access to more material so that we can occasionally read a trash packet during practice and not always be scrambling to find a quality set that we haven't already read. I guess if all else fails, we'll see if buying the sets up is a possibility. Indeed, this is possibly Mehdi's worst nightmare.
Benjamin Frank
University of Pennsylvania 2012
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

The only good trash sets that have ever been produced are the Yaphe and Bentley edited ones, which have been on the archives for some time, and the Boston U one from 2006, which you can probably get a hold of from someone who has it. I don't believe TRASH distributes its questions at all (for money or otherwise), and past that you're just going to be rounding up a lot of additional awful packets.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
Lapego1
Tidus

Post by Lapego1 »

Jamnman23 wrote:I guess if all else fails, we'll see if buying the sets up is a possibility.
NOT UNDER MY WATCHFUL EYES.

edit: (at least if you're using club funds for it; using your own money is fine, though I feel it's my responsibility to inform you that you can get the same benefit by watching tv for free)
Last edited by Lapego1 on Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Mehdi Razvi
Maggie Walker Gov. School '07
University of Pennsylvania '11

"A goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid."
-James D. Watson (1928-)
InvadErGII
Rikku

Post by InvadErGII »

Perhaps I'm in the minority, but I for one would definitely consider purchasing an archive of TRASH tournaments.
Erik Nelson
Director, Minnesota High School Quiz Bowl
President, Play Quiz Bowl LLC
www.bouncebackfoundation.org
Sir Thopas
Auron

Post by Sir Thopas »

InvadErGII wrote:Perhaps I'm in the minority, but I for one would definitely consider purchasing an archive of TRASH tournaments.
You sure are.
Guy Tabachnick
Hunter '09
Brown '13

http://memoryofthisimpertinence.blogspot.com/
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

InvadErGII wrote:Perhaps I'm in the minority, but I for one would definitely consider purchasing an archive of TRASH tournaments.
Last time I tried to do this I got not response from TRASH.

I can't really figure out why old copies of TRASH aren't made public.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
answerguy
Lulu

Post by answerguy »

Bentley Like Beckham wrote:

For what it's worth (not much, I know), we're currently trying to formulate a way to get these out. I've unfortunately got a lot on my plate at the moment.
Tim Young
GWU Law School (1996-99)
Dartmouth College (1992-96)
TRASH functionary
Tournament Director, TRASHionals 2009
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

answerguy wrote:
Bentley Like Beckham wrote:

For what it's worth (not much, I know), we're currently trying to formulate a way to get these out. I've unfortunately got a lot on my plate at the moment.
How is this something that takes more than 5 minutes? Just send them to the Stanford Archive or something. Problem solved.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Unless they are all paper-only files, hell, send it to me, or probably anyone on the boards, and we could take a crack at it.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
btressler
Tidus

Post by btressler »

Bentley Like Beckham wrote:Last time I tried to do this I got not response from TRASH.

When we participated in TRASHionals two years ago, I inquired about buying the questions. I forget the exact price, but I think they wanted to charge $30, or at least more than I wanted to pay.

So I postulate the answer is: they would like to sell the questions if possible.
Bill Tressler,
Dickinson ('97) Carnegie Mellon ('99) Delaware ('06)
Seen moderating at various SE Pennsylvania events.
answerguy
Lulu

Post by answerguy »

Bad Boy Bill wrote:
Bentley Like Beckham wrote:Last time I tried to do this I got not response from TRASH.

When we participated in TRASHionals two years ago, I inquired about buying the questions. I forget the exact price, but I think they wanted to charge $30, or at least more than I wanted to pay.

So I postulate the answer is: they would like to sell the questions if possible.
That's mostly right, but if the 2005 TRASHionals and TRASH regionals sets aren't already on the Stanford Archive, they should be shortly. I'd post older sets too but I'm not sure where they are. (I'm relatively new to TRASH so I may not be the best person to talk to as to where things can be tracked down.)

I didn't examine the questions too closely before sending them. I had a great time playing on them back in '05 and as far as I know they represented the state of the art of that time. Not sure how stale they are five years out but I think both TRASH and trash tournaments of more recent vintage have to an extent been written with slightly more of an eye towards having some enduring value to them, as much as can be had by something that pop culture questions given how fast pop culture evolves. But at any rate I'm pretty sure they have essentially zero commercial value at this time but might be a fun change of pace at a practice session or have instructive value as to how to write or structure trash questions.
Tim Young
GWU Law School (1996-99)
Dartmouth College (1992-96)
TRASH functionary
Tournament Director, TRASHionals 2009
Eärendil
Wakka

Post by Eärendil »

They are now up here and here.