UCLA Aztlan Cup V March 22,2009

Old college threads.
Golran
Auron

UCLA Aztlan Cup V March 22,2009

Post by Golran »

The UCLA College Bowl Club is pleased to announce:

Aztlan Cup V

DATE: The tournament will be held on March 22, 2009.

FORMAT: The tournament will be mirroring the Fake Intercollegiate Tournament Experiment 2.

ELIGIBILITY: This tournament is open to all collegiate and high school teams with the aim of preparing the collegiate teams for NAQT ICT.

PRICING STRUCTURE:
Base fee = $90
-$5 for a fully-functional buzzer system (must have at least four working buzzers on both sides) (maximum one per team)
-$10 for additional teams from a school (non-cumulative)
-$10 for attending BISCUIT III (i.e. if a single team attends both events the second will be discounted as if they are a second team from the school)
-$10 for a pre-approved moderator (no maximum for pre-approved moderators)
-$10 for travel over 350 miles as measured by Google Maps(You can claim this discount both days)
Minimum fee = $40 (possible only with multiple moderators)

If your program cannot afford to register, please contact the TD and we will try to make arrangements to accommodate your needs.

Please make checks payable to "College Bowl Club of UCLA." Please do not make a check out to any other person or entity, including "UCLA Quiz Bowl," as we cannot cash those checks. Please bring your check with you to the event. If you will need an invoice made (usually for high schools using purchase orders), please contact Tirth before the tournament. All teams will be given receipts.

The cap is unofficially going to be set at 24 teams, but we will try to accommodate as many teams as possible. It is likely that the limiting factor will be moderator availability-- we very much encourage teams to send moderators!

The tournament directors are Ian Drayer and Tirth Patel. If you are interested in attending, please e-mail Tirth at [email protected] with the following information:

1) Your school's name
2) Representative's name and e-mail address
3) The number of teams you are bringing
4) The number of buzzer systems and/or moderators you would like to bring

Updates about the tournament will be posted on the hsquizbowl.org forums and on the quizbowl Yahoo! group; however, they should also be posted online. Our club website is http://quizbowl.bol.ucla.edu. A link should become available once this announcement has been posted.

If you have any questions about any of this, please e-mail either Ian Drayer or Tirth Patel at [email protected] or [email protected].

Thanks and hope to see you March 22, 2009,

Ian Drayer
Tournament Director, UCLA Mirror of FIChTE
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
Golran
Auron

Aztlan Cup V Field

Post by Golran »

Caltech (2??)
Steven Katz and co. (??)
UC Irvine (1)
UCLA house team (>0)
UCSD (>=1)
Last edited by Golran on Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
Auroni
Auron

Re: UCLA Aztlan Cup V March 22,2009

Post by Auroni »

At least one UCSD team will show up to this.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

Tirth Patel will be taking over as tournament director. Please forward all responses to him at [email protected].
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
tkpatel
Lulu

Post by tkpatel »

Alright people, its two weeks before the tournament and I would like to get confirmations from teams.
So far I have heard from the following people:

Steven Katz
Fresno State
Darwin Fu
Stanford
Rancho Bernardo High School
Dwight Wynne
Ray Luo

Possible attending, not heard from them yet:
Caltech

UCSD and Irvine expressed interest couple weeks ago but I would like to know if you guys are planning to play or not.Thanks.

Please email me with details (buzzers, teams, whether attending BISCUIT - this can get you a $10 discount, moderators etc.)
I have gotten queries regarding this, so I would like to reiterate that this is an Open tournament, meaning that there are absolutely no restrictions to play.You don't have to be affiliated with any university or any academic institution of any kind. Anyone and everyone is welcome to play.
Last edited by tkpatel on Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:53 am, edited 3 times in total.
Tirth Patel
BS UCLA '11
MD, PhD Washington University in St. Louis School of Medicine '20
P3nguinP0wered
Lulu

Post by P3nguinP0wered »

I will definitely be there so I can join another team as a FA, if UCSD doesn't show up otherwise.
Darwin Fu
President- Quiz Bowl Club at UC San Diego
Mission San Jose '06
UC San Diego '10
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

tkpatel wrote:UCSD and Irvine expressed interest couple weeks ago but I would like to know if you guys are planning to play or not.
Yeah, we've hit a communication breakdown. I will almost certainly be making it but whether it is as part of Irvine or part of a yet-to-be-formed bastard team, I cannot say.
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org
UC Irvine 2008-2013; UCLA 2004-2007; Capistrano Valley High School 2000-2003

"It's a competition, but it's not a sport. On a scale, if football is a 10, then rowing would be a two. One would be Quiz Bowl." --Matt Birk on rowing, SI On Campus, 10/21/03

"If you were my teammate, I would have tossed your ass out the door so fast you'd be emitting Cerenkov radiation, but I'm not classy like Dwight." --Jerry
recfreq
Wakka

Post by recfreq »

I would also like to play this after staffing BISCUIT MUT. I believe Caltech is also coming.
Ray Luo, UCLA.
manary
Lulu

Post by manary »

I do not know of anyone who is coming. Only 3 of us are in town-ish, and all have not indicated they are coming.
Micah
Micah J. Manary
University of California San Diego MSTP '1x
California Institute of Technology '10
Saint Louis University High School '07
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

If anyone has interest in playing this that is also playing BISCUIT or coming up for BISCUIT, I would be willing to put up spaces in my dorm room. My roomate will be home for spring break, and he said we can use his bed, plus my floor can probably fit 3-4 more depending how tight you guys are.

Also, we have 4 rooms reserved and the following teams:
1) Fresno State
2) Stanford
3) Rancho Bernardo High School
4) UCSD (?)
5) UCI + free agents
6) UCLA House

and the following individuals according to Tirth's post:
1) Steven Katz
2) Darwin Fu

Any more teams please let us know as soon as possible and free agents should we assume that you will form minimal number of teams?

EDIT: Added UCSD, and free agents, If possible I would like to have 6 teams total for a double round robin+finals or triple round robin + finals depending on packets in the set. We will be running this timed under standard NAQT timing rules if we can find enough timers, otherwise the clock will not be visible and we will be using timers on watches or cell phones.
Last edited by Golran on Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

There is a nonzero chance that more Irvine people will show up but I can't confirm anything until Wednesday. If I only get zero or one other Irvine people, then we'll just take Darwin and Steven, split the cost, and hope for a sixth team as six teams is better than five teams; if I get more than one Irvine person to come, we'll probably form our own team and that will make six teams.
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org

"It's a competition, but it's not a sport. On a scale, if football is a 10, then rowing would be a two. One would be Quiz Bowl." --Matt Birk on rowing, SI On Campus, 10/21/03

"If you were my teammate, I would have tossed your ass out the door so fast you'd be emitting Cerenkov radiation, but I'm not classy like Dwight." --Jerry
recfreq
Wakka

Post by recfreq »

you guys keep ignoring Auroni's UCSD team. given that, we shud have a strong enough field for 6 teams.
my only question: has anyone actually asked Matt for the questions? it's a wierd price structure, and i'm not convinced the people in charge has arranged this yet, although i could be wrong.
Ray Luo, UCLA.
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

I am aware of this mirror and will be sending the questions to Ian when they are done.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

recfreq wrote:you guys keep ignoring Auroni's UCSD team. given that, we shud have a strong enough field for 6 teams.
my only question: has anyone actually asked Matt for the questions? it's a wierd price structure, and i'm not convinced the people in charge has arranged this yet, although i could be wrong.
Ray, I'm not playing this, but a few others from my club might be (I don't think I can help staff, but I'm not playing since I'm writing for it)
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

Marcus Luna and I will team with up to two free agents to form a hybrid team. We will bring the Irvine buzzer, but probably no timers.
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org

Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

I just noticed never announced time and place:

9:00 meeting, 9:30 start play time

Kerckhoff 131 (connected to Ackerman Union)

Parking in lot 6.

http://maps.ucla.edu/campus/
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
recfreq
Wakka

Post by recfreq »

Nevermind.
Ray Luo, UCLA.
Avram
Lulu

Post by Avram »

Final: Stanford over UCI/UCSD for the win.

Ian should be posting a more complete writeup later tonight.

As always, full stats at http://quizbowl.gimranov.com/stats/inde ... ztlan20092 .

(The final score for the UCLA/Rancho Bernardo game in round 10 might be wrong. Let me know if someone has the correct score for RB.)
Avram Lyon
Kazan Federal University '11
UCLA '14 (or so)
Grinnell '06
ak47
Lulu

Post by ak47 »

I believe the score recorded for the RB/UCLA match is correct.
Anurag Kashyap
Rancho Bernardo '09
MIT '13
Avram
Lulu

Post by Avram »

ak47 wrote:I believe the score recorded for the RB/UCLA match is correct.
Ok. Somehow RB's score was entered as 2 points, which was clearly incorrect, so I fixed it from memory.
Avram Lyon
UCLA '14 (or so)
Grinnell '06
tkpatel
Lulu

Post by tkpatel »

Who is asshole 51?
And whats up with the name?(a play on area 51?)
Tirth Patel
BS UCLA '11
MD, PhD Washington University in St. Louis School of Medicine '20
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

tkpatel wrote:Who is asshole 51?
At least Ray didn't pick a female pseudonym this time.
tkpatel wrote:And whats up with the name?(a play on area 51?)
To quote Avram when people asked him why Ray was playing under that name, "He picked it."
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org

Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

I just want to thank everyone for coming to Aztlan Cup V and I hope everyone had a good time.

Stanford bead Dwight, Marcus, and Darwin in a 1-game final after going 8-2 each in the preliminaries.

Dwight took first individually followed by Brian, Ray, then Anurag.

What else goes in this more complete wrap-up?
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
Avram
Lulu

Post by Avram »

dinoian wrote:What else goes in this more complete wrap-up?
This is where you are supposed to wax poetic about the exciting matches, retell your favorite anecdotes, and generally make all the teams that didn't attend feel that they should have, and make all the teams that did attend remember wistfully the great time they had.
Avram Lyon
UCLA '14 (or so)
Grinnell '06