Chicago Open

Old college threads.
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Re: Chicago Open

Post by DumbJaques »

As far as I know, Trygve, Jerry, and had been planning on running Trygvebowl (the social science/philosophy tournament originally slated for Sunday evening last year) at this year's CO. It's a 10 round, 20-tossup (tossups only) event.

In general, I will renew my concern about Sunday evening events and plane flights. Had Trygvebowl not been unexpectedly derailed last year, there's no way in hell we could have run both it and the movies event for anyone who wasn't staying overnight (and even those who were would probably not enjoy being kept late for the third straight night). So, I heartily recommend that the Sunday event be kept to the usual trash tournament/briefer side event (if indeed there will be a trash tournament).
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

In kind, I will renew my call to avoid a Friday night event and schedule something on Sunday night instead. With fair warning, people could book later flights or plan to stay over.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

I'd like to reiterate my desire for the Friday night event to be replaced with Churrascaria Showdown II.
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

What about the Latkes eating competition?
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
cdcarter
Yuna

Post by cdcarter »

Sarah, Charlie, and anyone else in the "parents might not let us come" camp. Having gone to CO as well as several other long-distance tournaments and having come back fine, I am sure my parents would be willing to write something down saying that you will be fine and that QBers are good people.
Christian Carter
Minneapolis South High School '09 | Emerson College '13
PACE Member (retired)
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

Ukonvasara wrote:I'd like to reiterate my desire for the Friday night event to be replaced with Churrascaria Showdown II.

I would love to participate in this.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

Oh yeah, I guess I'll also mention that I'd be interested in helping whoever's doing the lit tournament this year, if one is indeed happening.
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
Mr. Kwalter
Tidus

Post by Mr. Kwalter »

I think a meat eating contest would be an excellent Friday night activity and certainly one in which I would participate. I should mention that the one notable event that no one has claimed yet is CO trash. If there's no CO trash, we could have two singles events on Sunday and, if there's demand, one on Saturday night. That should allow people to get to Chicago late on Friday without missing a real event (Weiner) and make late Sunday return flights (Ray). Of course, I greatly enjoy CO Trash, so if someone wants to make a legit bid to host that I'll very seriously consider it.
Eric Kwartler
Alumnus, University of Texas School of Law
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I will contribute an all musty lit packet to the lit event, if it takes place.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Ukonvasara wrote:I'd like to reiterate my desire for the Friday night event to be replaced with Churrascaria Showdown II.
it's on
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
Birdofredum Sawin
Rikku

Post by Birdofredum Sawin »

I'm not sure what the etiquette is on "claiming" events, but as the creator and three-time editor of CO trash, I want to note that I haven't relinquished whatever vested rights in the tournament I have. Also, inasmuch as people have seemed to take genuine pleasure in the previous iterations of CO trash, I'd be hesitant to sweep it aside in favor of a slew of singles events.

Andrew
Andrew

Ex-Virginia, Ex-Chicago, Ex-Stanford
Mr. Kwalter
Tidus

Post by Mr. Kwalter »

Birdofredum Sawin wrote:I'm not sure what the etiquette is on "claiming" events, but as the creator and three-time editor of CO trash, I want to note that I haven't relinquished whatever vested rights in the tournament I have. Also, inasmuch as people have seemed to take genuine pleasure in the previous iterations of CO trash, I'd be hesitant to sweep it aside in favor of a slew of singles events.

Andrew
I completely agree. Given the storied history of CO Trash, it would be preferable to have that tournament exist.
Eric Kwartler
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

As per earlier consultation with Eric and other luminaries, I am claiming this year's lit tournament. Under Jonathan's advice, I will make sure other people contribute to the set, both to provide some additional variety to the questions and to have someone verifying that it's coming along on time. If you would like to be one of those people, e-mail me; there is no minimum commitment of question-writing needed, but I will ask you to look over all the other writers' questions for both content and mechanics, in addition to writing whatever number of questions you please.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
Mr. Kwalter
Tidus

Post by Mr. Kwalter »

After meeting with the judge I'm working for this summer I've decided I'd much rather have three weeks in July to finish the tournament. Instead of the 18th, let's plan for the 25th. Again, discussion is welcome.
Eric Kwartler
Skepticism and Animal Feed
Auron

Post by Skepticism and Animal Feed »

This is the part where we should all thank Eric for agreeing to do this.
Bruce
Harvard '10 / UChicago '07 / Roycemore School '04
ACF Member emeritus
My guide to using Wikipedia as a question source
pray for elves
Auron

Post by pray for elves »

Whig's Boson wrote:This is the part where we should all thank Eric for agreeing to do this.
Evan
Georgetown Law Alum, Brandeis Alum, Oak Ridge High Alum
Ex-PACE, Ex-ACF
Broad-tailed Grassbird
Tidus

Post by Broad-tailed Grassbird »

Is their any update on possible dates for this?

I can't say for the people I would probably come with, but I prefer Lollapalooza or later.
Nalin
Scranton Middle School (2000-2003)
Brighton High School (2003-2007)
Michigan State University (2007-2011)
Semi-Retired (2012-present)
Mr. Kwalter
Tidus

Post by Mr. Kwalter »

We are at the University of Chicago's mercy with regard to final room reservations for now, but assuming that goes through when the time comes the date will be the 25th. Circumstances can always change and if anyone realizes that we missed some major conflict that weekend they should speak up, but barring that, Chicago Open will take place on the weekend of July 25th.
Eric Kwartler