Kentucky 08-09

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Andrew from jc
Wakka

Re: Kentucky 08-09

Post by Andrew from jc »

Well now that thats over any new rankings or news?
Andrew Salyer
Johnson Central '12
Macks Well
Lulu

Post by Macks Well »

Good idea. Vandy's coming up this weekend. Thoughts? Feelings?
Max Morley
Pikeville High School
RandomPerson2009
Kimahri

Post by RandomPerson2009 »

I think the Vandy tournament will be good, and I can not wait for it I am pumped!!!!!!!!!!!
Andrew from jc
Wakka

Post by Andrew from jc »

The teams that I think will do well this weekend are: Dunbar, Russell, Central, and Pikeville.
Andrew Salyer
Johnson Central '12
powerplant
Wakka

Post by powerplant »

From reading at Vandy, I have to say that Johnson Central looked really impressive. I also thought that duPont Manual was pretty good. Their captain pulled off some amazing buzzes on the physics. If they can get a team to support him in non science areas, they have the potential to be a force.
Joseph Wells

Garfield Heights High School '08
Centre College 2008-2010
Tri-C 2010-2011
Ohio State 2011-
akinney
Wakka

Post by akinney »

powerplant wrote:From reading at Vandy, I have to say that Johnson Central looked really impressive. I also thought that duPont Manual was pretty good. Their captain pulled off some amazing buzzes on the physics. If they can get a team to support him in non science areas, they have the potential to be a force.
I my opinion, Dunbar and Johnson Central are the top teams in the state at this point.
Aaron Kinney
Madisonville-North Hopkins '10
Go Maroons!
sephirothrr
Quizbowl Detective Extraordinaire

Post by sephirothrr »

powerplant wrote:From reading at Vandy, I have to say that Johnson Central looked really impressive. I also thought that duPont Manual was pretty good. Their captain pulled off some amazing buzzes on the physics. If they can get a team to support him in non science areas, they have the potential to be a force.
aww, thanks!
Ramapriya
Kentucky Quizbowl Alliance
University of Louisville
duPont Manual High School
Birdofredum Sawin wrote: Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:52 pmIf you don't want to be regarded as a "raving lunatic," it might be advisable to rave less, or at least to do so in a less loony manner.
TBrowning09
Lulu

Post by TBrowning09 »

I'm pretty happy about how we (Pikeville) played. We played a decent game against Dorman A which we lost by 160 points, and we also played a relativley close game to James Island (I felt the score of that game [440 to 180 or something like that] does not accuratly show close it was).

Madisonville looked pretty good, it was pretty much a one man show, but if A.K. can get two or three of his teammates to clamp down and study they'll do very well at state. I'd rank them 5th out of Kentucky teams.

I believe DuPoint played without two of their varisty staters, and I saw those two play in the JV championship game in which they did well. The varsity team did well, and based on that and our game against them I'd rank them 4th out of Kentucky teams.

I do feel sorry for JCHS, the moderator that they had in their last match was horrific. He could say A, The, and And. Thats all. JCHS always has a good team, and despite their teams age (Correct me if I'm wrong but they have 2 Juniors/1 Senior/1 Sophmore on their A team?) they are doing very very well. I'd rank them in the top 3 of Kentucky teams.

The only team I didn't get to see/talk to was Dunbar A. Based upon what others have said here and at Vandy plus Dunbar's history I'd put them in the top 3 of Kentucky teams.
-Thomas Browning, Pikeville High School (2005-2009)
- University of Louisville (2009-?)
Macks Well
Lulu

Post by Macks Well »

Kentucky made a very good showing this weekend. Johnson Central, Dunbar, and Pikeville all apparently did very well. State should be interesting!
Max Morley
Pikeville High School
RandomPerson1993
Kimahri

Post by RandomPerson1993 »

I agree. State will be absolutely amazing. Based on showing i believe that Dunbar, JCHS, and Pikeville are my top 3 teams. We all play very close and if not for my credit mobilier we would have beaten Dunbar. State will be fun.
Brad JCHS
ahunt
Lulu

Post by ahunt »

Based on what I've seen, I'd have to agree that the strongest teams in Kentucky this year appear to be Pikeville, Dunbar, and Johnson Central.

It would not surprise me if other Kentucky teams (i.e. Russell) significantly improve over the next few months.

We are not a factor this year. I only have one starting senior and typically three sophomores start with him. Although Ram is strong and I'm glad to have him as a team leader it is definitely a building year for us.

Dunbar's JV team was impressive in the final round. I felt we played well, but we were simply outplayed by a better team.

As far as state, who knows? Given the format and time between now and then it is difficult to tell.

----
Allison Hunt
duPont Manual High School, coach
Louisville, KY
akinney
Wakka

Post by akinney »

TBrowning09 wrote:Madisonville looked pretty good, it was pretty much a one man show, but if A.K. can get two or three of his teammates to clamp down and study they'll do very well at state. I'd rank them 5th out of Kentucky teams.
Thanks for the kind words. But my team hates studying. And that includes myself. But it'd be great if we did.

Pikeville is awesome. We had the pleasure of playing you guys twice.
Aaron Kinney
Madisonville-North Hopkins '10
Go Maroons!
TBrowning09
Lulu

Post by TBrowning09 »

Thanks Aaron. You played well.

I realized last night around 3 am that I'd forgotten to post about Russel and Danville:

Russel is an unknown to me, I have yet to see their team play together this year despite going to ACE with most of their team.
Danville is also unknown. I would like to think they will do well, but they lost 3(?) of starters.

Is anyone from Kentucky going to attend Brookwood on the 22nd and how many teams are planning on going to the Marshall County tournament next month?
-Thomas Browning, Pikeville High School (2005-2009)
- University of Louisville (2009-?)
jackatthedisco
Lulu

Post by jackatthedisco »

Thanks!
Aaron, you were domination, man!
And as far as studying goes, I think we all hate it. (I'm putting it off to write this!)

I would have to say that Ketucky teams, as a whole, made a really good showing at Vandy.
I think, had Thomas and I not said some really dumb things during out James Island match (ie Charles Dickens and Nanak) things would've been different.
But, I'm satisfied with our performance.

I watched the duPont Manual V. Dunbar JV finals and it was VERY impressive.
Derby's gonna be interesting this year. :grin:

One last thing, Ms. Hunt was one of the best readers we'd had the whole time. Go her! :grin:
Jack Carter, Pikeville, Senior. :D
"We are nothing without our image. Without our projection. Without the spiritual hologram of who we percieve ourselves to be, or to become rather, in the future. When you're lonely, I'll be lonely too. And this is The Fame."
dbarman
Wakka

Post by dbarman »

Dunbar will be at Brookwood

Vandy was a pretty good tournament though we, the varsity team, are a bit disappointed. We lost to Chatahoochee by 20 in the quarterfinals.
Ping @Dunbar
Faiyad
Wakka

Post by Faiyad »

dbarman wrote:Dunbar will be at Brookwood

Vandy was a pretty good tournament though we, the varsity team, are a bit disappointed. We lost to Chatahoochee by 20 in the quarterfinals.
They are a really good team, we got beaten by 300 points against them lol.
Wes and Austin are really good at SS.
Faiyad Mannan,
Johnson Central '11
Kentucky '15
Faiyad
Wakka

Post by Faiyad »

TBrowning09 wrote: I do feel sorry for JCHS, the moderator that they had in their last match was horrific. He could say A, The, and And. Thats all. JCHS always has a good team, and despite their teams age (Correct me if I'm wrong but they have 2 Juniors/1 Senior/1 Sophmore on their A team?) they are doing very very well. I'd rank them in the top 3 of Kentucky teams.
We had two juniors (Coty and Morgan).
And two sophomores (Brad and Myself).
Dunbar B was a really great team, but I think we could've done better.
We were a bit off that round, and the moderator did not help us any.
Faiyad Mannan,
Johnson Central '11
Kentucky '15
dbarman
Wakka

Post by dbarman »

you're right faiyad. we got trashed on SS when we played them. Though the mistake came when I screwed up a science bonus. It ended up a 20 point swing
Ping @Dunbar
Faiyad
Wakka

Post by Faiyad »

dbarman wrote:you're right faiyad. we got trashed on SS when we played them. Though the mistake came when I screwed up a science bonus. It ended up a 20 point swing
What was the bonus?
Do you remember??
Faiyad Mannan,
Johnson Central '11
Kentucky '15
sephirothrr
Quizbowl Detective Extraordinaire

Post by sephirothrr »

Faiyad, are people really going to remember individual bonuses?
In any case, I feel like if we can push through this year, everyone who's left will be in great standing to have 2-3 awesome years for Manual. The future's gonna be exciting. It's times like these that makes me want to fail a grade or two. :sad:
Ramapriya
Kentucky Quizbowl Alliance
University of Louisville
duPont Manual High School
Birdofredum Sawin wrote: Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:52 pmIf you don't want to be regarded as a "raving lunatic," it might be advisable to rave less, or at least to do so in a less loony manner.
Faiyad
Wakka

Post by Faiyad »

sephirothrr wrote:Faiyad, are people really going to remember individual bonuses?
:

It's possible =P.
Faiyad Mannan,
Johnson Central '11
Kentucky '15
Faiyad
Wakka

Post by Faiyad »

How was JV Challenge?
I personally believe that the science test was tooo easy. :smile:
Faiyad Mannan,
Johnson Central '11
Kentucky '15
Scott
Rikku

Post by Scott »

JV was kind of fun.
I thought the LA test was very easy though.

Adair beat us by two points in the final match,
sadly we might have won if it wasn't for my incompetence of buzzing in and saying La Boheme on Les Miserables.
However they were a well balanced team and were fun to play against.
There is always next year.

By the way great job to Jack for getting 48 on LA, and great job to everyone else that scored high in the tests.
Last edited by Scott on Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott Blain
Grayson '12
Vanderbilt '16
dbarman
Wakka

Post by dbarman »

Faiyad wrote:How was JV Challenge?
I personally believe that the science test was tooo easy. :smile:

Has JV Challenge ever not been too easy?
Ping @Dunbar
Faiyad
Wakka

Post by Faiyad »

Well, ithey're always easy.
But I think that the last few were much easier than the state Science tests for Middle Grades Division.
Faiyad Mannan,
Johnson Central '11
Kentucky '15
dbarman
Wakka

Post by dbarman »

Dunbar will be at Brookwood, not with the whole starting team though. Any other teams gonna be there?
Ping @Dunbar
ericblair
Wakka

Post by ericblair »

Check out the Regular Season Tournaments Announcement forum. Brookwood folk have posted a whole slew of teams that will be there. From what I remember, KY teams will be Daviess, Pikeville, Apollo, Dunbard, and I think Johnson Central and Russell. But you're better off checking that thread.
Eric Blair
Pikeville '04
Georgetown College '08
Currently vagabonding in other countries
Andrew from jc
Wakka

Post by Andrew from jc »

We will not be attending Brookwood.
Andrew Salyer
Johnson Central '12
dbarman
Wakka

Post by dbarman »

KY teams did well at Brookwood. I think Pikeville and Dunbar were undefeated in the morning. Pikeville lost to Dorman in the Quarterfinals. Dunbar lost to James Island in the finals. Congrats to all who participated
Ping @Dunbar
jackatthedisco
Lulu

Post by jackatthedisco »

Our Dorman match was sad. We were neck and neck until the final round (tossups then 3 bonuses).
We sorta shut down at that point.
But top 8 is much better than I'd expected, so I was still happy.
Congrats, Dunbar, on your perfomance!

And thank you, Scott. Congratulations to you, too! :smile:
"We are nothing without our image. Without our projection. Without the spiritual hologram of who we percieve ourselves to be, or to become rather, in the future. When you're lonely, I'll be lonely too. And this is The Fame."
dbarman
Wakka

Post by dbarman »

I wasn't personally at the Louisville NAQT tournament but dunbar's JV went. I'd like to know how'd the rest of you guys do?
Ping @Dunbar
FCPanther
Wakka

Post by FCPanther »

Any word on results from Marshall Co.'s tournament?
Kent Grannis--Fleming County High School Academic Coach
TBrowning09
Lulu

Post by TBrowning09 »

I don't know about Louisville's tournament but the Marshall Co. one went as follows:

Pikeville A finished 1st in quick recall and had the highest total points
Marshall A finished 2nd in quick recall and had the second highest total points
Madisonville NH finished 3rd in quick recall and had the third highest total points
Pikeville B finished 3rd in quick recall (should have been a match to figure out 3rd and 4th but oh well)

I thought we played pretty well for most of the day, and out of the testers we had many first places.

I tied for first in Social Studies with Aarron from MNH, Jack got 1st in Langugage Arts and 2nd in Arts and Humanities, Emily got 2nd in Langugage, Shikha got first in Science and second in Math, Christian Harris got first in Arts and Humanities, Max placed 4th or 5th in Arts and Humanities.

Overall it was a good experience (Any tournament is experience) but I felt the questions could have used some improvement. They were not as "Gov Cuppie" as I had expected.
Church51907
Wakka

Post by Church51907 »

Hope everyone is doing well and thanks to all the teams who attended the U of L Arts & Sciences Academic Challenge. We did two round robin pools of 8 and then semifinals and finals.
At the end of the morning the standings were
Pool A
1. Dunbar B 7-1 Qualified for semifinals
2. Ballard 5-2 Qualified for semfinals on points
3. Manual B 5-2
4. Eastern A 4-3
5. Sacred Heart 3-4
6. St. X 3-4
7. DeSales A 2-5
8. Seneca B 0-8

Pool B
1. Adair County 7-0 Qualified for semifinals
2. Manual A 5-2 Qualified for semifinals on points
3. Manual C 5-2
4. Dunbar C 5-2
5.Eastern C 3-4
6. Seneca A 2-5
7. Eastern B 1-6
8. DeSales B 0-8

Semifinals
Ballard defeated Adair County
Manual A defeated Dunbar B

Third Place match Dunbar B defeated Adair County
Championship Ballard defeated Manual A

Congrats to Ballard the 2008 A & S Academic Challenge Champions
Ballard, Manual A, and Dunbar B pre-qualify for the 2009 HSNCT

Hope to see everyone for our spring tournament

Matt Church
University of Louisville
[email protected]
Matt Church
University of Louisville
TheKingInYellow
Rikku

Post by TheKingInYellow »

I know Dunbar gets out of state, but do Johnson Central or Pikeville or any of the other top Kentucky teams travel much? It seems like you guys are really competitive, and it'd be nice to see you in the DC area.
Last edited by TheKingInYellow on Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Graham Moyer
State College 2011
Harvard 2015
Emlay
Lulu

Post by Emlay »

We try to go to as many tournaments as we can afford, be they in or out of state. Pikeville played in both Vanderbilt and Brookwood this year. IIRC Johnson does occasionally go out of state, but don't hold me to that. I for one would love to play in more Quizbowl-style tournaments as opposed to our... lovely local format, and I'm sure other team members agree with me on that, haha.
Emily Thacker/Pikeville High School
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

So, anybody got news, results, rankings, etc. on Kentucky competiton? I know Fleming County is tomorrow, so I'd like to hear how that goes from participants. We thought about going but decided on a local tournament.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
FCPanther
Wakka

Post by FCPanther »

Johnson Central defeated Henry Clay in the varsity finals.

Dunbar won the 'B" division. More results when I get the score sheets sorted.
Kent Grannis--Fleming County High School Academic Coach
Macks Well
Lulu

Post by Macks Well »

So now it's the road to State, huh?
All of the Quiz Bowl-Pyramid, Great-Auk-Knowledge-Master, and non Gov.Cup-format nonsense is out of the way.
Back to good ol' quick recall. Anyone else excited about that?
Max Morley
Pikeville High School
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Macks Well wrote:So now it's the road to State, huh?
All of the Quiz Bowl-Pyramid, Great-Auk-Knowledge-Master, and non Gov.Cup-format nonsense is out of the way.
If I may ask: Why do you favor quick recall over pyramidal questions?
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Post by Frater Taciturnus »

FredMorlan wrote:
I sorta got the impression of some form of sarcasm, Fred. No idea if its real or not, but definitely feasible.
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
J. Sargeant Reynolds CC 2008, 2009, 2014
Virginia Commonwealth 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,
Douglas Freeman 2005, 2006, 2007
dbarman
Wakka

Post by dbarman »

Frater Taciturnus wrote:
FredMorlan wrote:
I sorta got the impression of some form of sarcasm, Fred. No idea if its real or not, but definitely feasible.
Who knows. Some people here are pretty hard core about Gov Cup quick recall.

Anyways, anybody knows where they might be going this semester(other than Gov Cup)? Dunbar will be at Dorman and we are trying to go to Gonzaga though I personally cannot go :(
Ping @Dunbar
jackatthedisco
Lulu

Post by jackatthedisco »

I personally like quizbowl a lot. Of course, GovCup testing is one of my favorite things to do as well.
Really, everything about state is fun to me: the testing, the quick recall, the galt house, etc.
So, I am pretty excited about March. :smile:

And Pikeville might go to Dorman and Brookwood JV, depending on how many fundraisers we can put together.
wexs883198215
Wakka

Post by wexs883198215 »

surely you wouldn't want to miss out on WJIAT =)
Kuo-Kai Chin
Walter Johnson High School '11
Harvard University '15
Stanford University School of Medicine '19
dbarman
Wakka

Post by dbarman »

wexs883198215 wrote:surely you wouldn't want to miss out on WJIAT =)

Is that the 14 of Feb? Many of us cannot go but we might be able to send a B team or something. I personally really like playing in the VA/DC area because you guys have good questions and awesome competition, but the car ride sucks (close to 8 hours).
Ping @Dunbar
Macks Well
Lulu

Post by Macks Well »

dbarman wrote:
Frater Taciturnus wrote:
FredMorlan wrote:
Who knows. Some people here are pretty hard core about Gov Cup quick recall.

Anyways, anybody knows where they might be going this semester(other than Gov Cup)? Dunbar will be at Dorman and we are trying to go to Gonzaga though I personally cannot go :(
Nope. No sarcasm here.
It's not that I don't enjoy Quiz Bowl. I do! I love competing in general. It's just that I've been raised on Quick Recall. That's my forte. I'm good at Quiz Bowl and apparently really good at KnoMas, but Quick Recall is my thing. I love speed. That's my X-Factor. Well, kinda. But you get what I'm saying.
Quiz Bowl is fun, and I like that you get rewarded for a greater depth of knowledge and whatnot.
But Quick Recall is where I do my best. I'm open to any question set, but I'd pick Quick Recall any day.
Max Morley
Pikeville High School
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

I love this "I'm best at it, so it's the best" nonsense.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Captain Sinico
Auron

Post by Captain Sinico »

Jeremy Gibbs Free Energy wrote:I love this "I'm best at it, so it's the best" nonsense.
You'll notice he didn't say it's the best, just that he likes it. If you're going to bust a guy apropos of nothing, at least try to stick to things he's actually done or said.

MaS
Mike Sorice
Former Coach, Centennial High School of Champaign, IL (2014-2020) & Team Illinois (2016-2018)
Alumnus, Illinois ABT (2000-2002; 2003-2009) & Fenwick Scholastic Bowl (1999-2000)
Member, ACF (Emeritus), IHSSBCA, & PACE
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

We went to the Brescia Academic Tournament today and we had questions that were pure Quick Recall and reminescent of what Gov Cup questions were 3 or 4 years ago, which made me realize how much KAAC has changed the questions in the last couple years to have a somewhat pyramidal element in them. I like the in-between because it preserves the Quick Recall format while also making for better questions.

Anyway, rather than debate this, anyone want to chime in on how they think the Districts and Regions will go. I think ours (District 12 and Region 3) are complete and total tossups between multiple teams this year.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
scquizbowl
Wakka

Post by scquizbowl »

Great job by Danville, Russell, and Dunbar, making the state of Kentucky proud at Dorman. Danville played well, Russell made the quarterfinals, losing a hard fought game to us (James Island), and Dunbar made the semifinals, playing Chattahoochee.

Dunbar has gone back to the days when they were one of the deepest teams in the nation, and will be a leader for years to come.

Joe
James Island '10
Joe
James Island '10