Michigan Mega Conference

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.

Who will win the MSU Class A state Championship?

Detroit Catholic Central
39%
Okemos
32%
Petoskey
7%
Troy
4%
Livonia Churchill
No votes
Bloomfield Hills Lahser
18%

Total votes: 28

emactruman
Lulu

Michigan Mega Conference

Post by emactruman »

If anyone is interested the Conference Regular Season is over.

Taylor Truman and Dearborn Hts. Annapolis were the divisional winners and have qualified for the MSU state championship tournament.

Also, I wish to keep an updated state championship watch list again. If any coaches, TD's, or players know of a school who has qualified either email me or post it on this thread. Please include the tournament/league/division/pool/bracket/flight that they won.
The Time Keeper
Auron

Post by The Time Keeper »

I voted for Lahser just out of sick amusement.

Also, if you're going to bother making a poll about Michigan state championships, at least make it NAQT states and not the hideous garbage that is the MSU states tournament. Only teams/coaches who have no idea what the hell is going on around them really care about this fake tournament.
First Chairman
Auron

Random question (in search of Okemos)

Post by First Chairman »

I am in search of contact information for the Okemos coach. If you are out there (or know the person who is), I need to email him. Thanks!
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
solonqb
Rikku

Post by solonqb »

I know his name's Jason Ardanowski, and I think he goes to Michigan State.

You might want to email Gary Sharon ([email protected]). He'l hook you up with him.
Noah Rahman
Welcome to Simbabwe, where the property is already owned and the houses built and you compete to burn and dispossess them. Compete with Robert Mugabe, Canaan Banana, Cecil Rhodes and Sir Godfrey Huggins to earn a place on the all-time EU travel ban list!
emactruman
Lulu

Post by emactruman »

Jason posts on this message board quite frequently.
Jason84
Lulu

Dr. Chuck

Post by Jason84 »

Dr. Chuck,

Good to hear from you. I'm sorry it has taken so long to respond, but I have just returned from a Habitat project in SE Kentucky for spring break. You can reach me by e-mail at [email protected]. I am not on the Okemos H.S. faculty, so I do not have a school e-mail address.

Sincerely,
~Jason Ardanowski
Okemos QB advisor
Jason84
Lulu

Pat

Post by Jason84 »

Considering that the MSU states tournament determines MI's Panasonic team, I'd stop short of calling it "hideous garbage". Also, unlike NAQT states at U-Mich, MSU states actually earns some local media coverage.

The MSU states questions, while not awful, are still bad. I do like the format (1 list of questions, one 10 point bonus, fast-paced). I served on staff last year, and wish they'd seed the brackets instead of randomly slotting the qualifiers.

Pat, why would you vote for Lahser except to be a (expletive deleted)? You know that we defeated Lahser (at UM-Dearborn) without Shuyu or Paul. Troy is the only team in the poll that worries me.

~Jason Ardanowski
Okemos QB advisor
The Time Keeper
Auron

I voted for Lahser because I couldn't decide who I thought would win. If I were you I'd worry about Petoskey and DCC as well. When Will is on his game Petoskey can be a threat and DCC has always done quite well on the MSU format/questions.

Panasonic is even worse than MSU States. Bids to go to that mess are often declined by the first one or two teams asked. I've heard nothing about that tournament that doesn't make me cringe. Mind you, I'm speaking of the tournament itself, so "Orlando is fun!" is not an acceptable argument.

I don't factor in "media coverage" when determining the quality of a quizbowl tournament. I consider... the quality of the quizbowl tournament. While the tu/bonus format is nice, the questions themselves are terrible. Just because a small handful of other tournaments have worse questions doesn't make these good. Also, waiting roughly two hours between games and having a random double-elimination playoff bracket to begin with is simply not good. I can't say I like the splitting of teams by school size, either. NAQT states has pyramidal questions (I don't like the overabundance of trash but I'll take it over constant one-line questions any day) and teams are always guaranteed a minimum of several games.

What do other MI people think of this tournament? I honestly can't see it being praised by too many people. I really don't think my expectations/standards for tournaments are too high by any means. I'm being as critical as I am to make the point that it could easily be a better tournament than it is.
Jason84
Lulu

Panasonic

Post by Jason84 »

Thanks for the advice regarding Panasonic - more precisely, to stay away from Panasonic.

I also forgot about the really annoying three-hour waits between games in MSU states, because of the losers' bracket games taking so long.

Troy and DCD are the only complete teams in MI. Sure, Will (Petoskey) or Joel (CC) can get on a lucky roll on 1 of every 10 packets and beat anyone, as Joel in fact did on Saturday. In general, I'll be wary, but not worried.

~Jason
The Time Keeper
Auron

I'm not sure if a 170 point loss can be shrugged off as a fluke so easily. DCC and Petoskey's PPG and bonus conversion at NAQT States indicated that they're legitimate (granted Will did seem to have a meltdown game against tough competition in the playoffs) plus the questions at MSU States pander to players with a solid breadth of knowledge and a fast buzzer (Eric and Joel come to mind foremost here) and hurt teams slower on the buzzer.

Anyhow the games are coming up soon enough, so there's not too much of a point in in-depth speculation (not that there ever really is).
JohnDCC
Lulu

Post by JohnDCC »

Dolemite wrote:I'm not sure if a 170 point loss can be shrugged off as a fluke so easily. DCC and Petoskey's PPG and bonus conversion at NAQT States indicated that they're legitimate (granted Will did seem to have a meltdown game against tough competition in the playoffs) plus the questions at MSU States pander to players with a solid breadth of knowledge and a fast buzzer (Eric and Joel come to mind foremost here) and hurt teams slower on the buzzer.
Agreed. :) Also, in my opinion, we are a much more balanced team when playing the easier formats (KMO, Buzzerpalooza); earlier this year, for example, we took something like 5th overall, losing to the 2nd seeded Aurora by 20 or so, at (I believe) Case Western without our #1 and #4 varsity players, Knight and Budde.
Mprgmtc
Kimahri

um

Post by Mprgmtc »

um one its not a one man team its quite complete since joel doesnt answer everything and i wouldnt say 1 in 10 packets we could have had all 10 packets and i dont think the score would have changed DCC outplayed Okemos and everyone else that day
solonqb
Rikku

Post by solonqb »

1. Learn how to use capitalization.

2. Stop referring to yourself in the third person, the people who care know who you are.
Noah Rahman
Welcome to Simbabwe, where the property is already owned and the houses built and you compete to burn and dispossess them. Compete with Robert Mugabe, Canaan Banana, Cecil Rhodes and Sir Godfrey Huggins to earn a place on the all-time EU travel ban list!
JohnDCC
Lulu

Post by JohnDCC »

solonqb wrote:1. Learn how to use capitalization.

2. Stop referring to yourself in the third person, the people who care know who you are.
All in all, a very worthwhile post. I hope we'll see you at Case Western this weekend, Noah. This time, we'll even bring all 4 varsity players.
No Sollositing On Premise
Tidus

Post by No Sollositing On Premise »

Some punctuation wouldn't be a bad idea either.
Mike Sollosi, University of Virginia
No Sollositing On Premise
Tidus

Post by No Sollositing On Premise »

Some punctuation wouldn't be a bad idea either.

EDIT: Stupid [expletive deleted] double-posting....
Mike Sollosi, University of Virginia
Jason84
Lulu

JohnDCC, point taken.

Post by Jason84 »

At least there's some spice in the Michigan discussions now. I was growing bored when the Floridians and Georgians were taking up all the bandwidth in this forum.

As much as we all hate MSU States, one good thing - the double-elimination format means that neither I, nor anyone else, should whine about an unlucky packet.

~ J.A.
Captain Sinico
Auron

Post by Captain Sinico »

Since all the enlightening posts about Pascal's wager convinced me of God's existence (please note that the proceeding clause is comprised entirely of lies,) I'll offer a hearty Amen to that. I'll never understand how people who devote a lot of their lives to playing a game of punctilious intelligence comparison feel that it's acceptable to... well... act like morons on an Internet forum devoted to that game and frequented almost entirely by their fellow players. Here's a small hint for you: when you write like you don't know how to, you look like you're stupid. Also, you enrage me. I know you can probably put-up Muelleresque stats, so I ask you to please, do try and utilize the rules that (I'm quite sure) we all know regarding how the language should be written. Just think of it being worth delicious points. You wouldn't even think of not getting points when you could, now would you?
solonqb wrote:2. Stop referring to yourself in the third person, the people who care know who you are.
I.e. no one knows who you are, especially me. You DCC kids need to calm down and stop acting like some band of Internet tough guys. It's getting... grating.

MaS
---
This is my 165th negative post!
mujason
Wakka

Post by mujason »

Muelleresque stats? I'd rather give Subashings.

Jason Mueller
STPickrell
Auron

Post by STPickrell »

mujason wrote:Muelleresque stats? I'd rather give Subashings.

Jason Mueller
Hey, if you have to be on a losing team, it's always good to be in the top 5 scorers.
Shawn Pickrell, HSAPQ CFO
emactruman
Lulu

Post by emactruman »

To say DCC out-played everyone else that day is an over statement, since they did lose two morning round games. A better way to put is that when push came to shove DCC played their A game when perhaps other teams did not.
emactruman
Lulu

Post by emactruman »

When I started this thread I was hoping to get a list of qualified teams.